Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Back to Ireland this weekend for the hurling. I have a terrace ticket. I presume that means I can go in any of the areas apart from the seated stand?

I’m not confined to the Aldi end for instance if I have that ticket.

Once you area in the ground you can go wherever you want but you'll have to go in the gate for your ticket, I think it's West & North Terrace by the Cloister, West and North by Aldi, I think stand tickets can go in by Aldi and the Friary, the Friary might allow West terrace tickets as wel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Figerty wrote: »
    I would think we had moved past that mentality of beating the walls before matches over something like that that comment. It's not really working for Davy Fitz!

You could argue that Lohan is just planting doubt into Bubbles head...coming to Ennis, crowd close in and sticky corner back..

He won an all Ireland with Clare and Wexford should have beaten the all Ireland finalists at the weekend. Coaching and preparation, and quality of players ultimately may be an issue but it's rare his charges aren't up for a game. That alone won't win you matches but you won't win it without either.

Sheedy is all about the fire and brimstone on the sideline since he returned. Brian Cody too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Figerty

He won an all Ireland with Clare and Wexford should have beaten the all Ireland finalists at the weekend. Coaching and preparation, and quality of players ultimately may be an issue but it's rare his charges aren't up for a game. That alone won't win you matches but you won't win it without either.

Sheedy is all about the fire and brimstone on the sideline since he returned. Brian Cody too

Yes, but you believe Sheedy's passion comes from a genuine place and has substance and intelligence behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

• Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

football team for the kerry fixture tomorrow night , tubridy and sean o'donohue are fit to start i believe whether they are late changes or not i am not sure , same team as the waterford game bar cathal o'connor for bohannon , if this is the team to start expect this formation of 2 runners in cian o'dea and jamie malone between both 45s with a 4 man forward line
    1. Stephen Ryan

2. Gordon Kelly 3. Cillian Brennan 4. Kevin Hartnett

5. Sean Collins 6. Aaron Fitzgerald 7. Dean Ryan

, 13. Cian O Dea 12 Jamie Malone

8. Gary Brennan (C) 9. Cathal O’Connor

10. Kieran Malone 11. Eoin Cleary

14. Cormac Murray 15. Gavin Cooney

• Advertisement

will cleary come in as a late change for someone , i know his pace could be exposed for a game like this but surely his height could be invaluable

football team for the kerry fixture tomorrow night , tubridy and sean o'donohue are fit to start i believe whether they are late changes or not i am not sure , same team as the waterford game bar cathal o'connor for bohannon , if this is the team to start expect this formation of 2 runners in cian o'dea and jamie malone between both 45s with a 4 man forward line
    1. Stephen Ryan

2. Gordon Kelly 3. Cillian Brennan 4. Kevin Hartnett

5. Sean Collins 6. Aaron Fitzgerald 7. Dean Ryan

, 13. Cian O Dea 12 Jamie Malone

8. Gary Brennan (C) 9. Cathal O’Connor

10. Kieran Malone 11. Eoin Cleary

14. Cormac Murray 15. Gavin Cooney

I still believe that Cormac Murray and Gavin Cooney will not start tomorrow, with Sean and Tubs taking their places on the starting 15.

While you are still online windy, have you any word on how the Clare U20 footballers are preparing ahead of tomorrow's Liam o'Connor cup match against Westmeath in Miltown tomorrow. What type of team can we expect from Seamus Clancy's charges come 2 pm tomorrow.

will cleary come in as a late change for someone , i know his pace could be exposed for a game like this but surely his height could be invaluable

From what I can gather, it looks like Seadna Morey will make way for the St Joseph's Miltown clubman come 4 pm on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

From what I can gather, it looks like Seadna Morey will make way for the St Joseph's Miltown clubman come 4 pm on Sunday.

If that's true then it's sad. I thought the idea of naming Dummy teams went with Ger Loughnane. If I was the fall guy ie 'Morey' I'd explain to management that I'm unwilling to let my name go onto the team sheet if I'm not starting. Theres a personal pride and respect issue. I dont see it happening as I have respect for the two managers. They usually go about their jobs professionally..except during the game when they are too slow to make changes

I still believe that Cormac Murray and Gavin Cooney will not start tomorrow, with Sean and Tubs taking their places on the starting 15.

While you are still online windy, have you any word on how the Clare U20 footballers are preparing ahead of tomorrow's Liam o'Connor cup match against Westmeath in Miltown tomorrow. What type of team can we expect from Seamus Clancy's charges come 2 pm tomorrow.

I don't know and to tell you the truth I completely forgot about them and this game, I was far too caught up with tomorrow and Sunday I have little info on them

• Advertisement

BloodyBill wrote: »
    If that's true then it's sad. I thought the idea of naming Dummy teams went with Ger Loughnane. If I was the fall guy ie 'Morey' I'd explain to management that I'm unwilling to let my name go onto the team sheet if I'm not starting. Theres a personal pride and respect issue. I dont see it happening as I have respect for the two managers. They usually go about their jobs professionally..except during the game when they are too slow to make changes

nowadays players would be told your down on the starting 15 for sunday but you wont be starting , back in loughnanes time he told players thursday night that they were starting only to break them 30 minutes before throw in and tell them there on the bench and someone else is starting ahead of them

i think to be fair to the management they really improved after the munster final last year and through out the league this year , better game plans quicker decisions on the line also , this lad gavin keary looks like a really good coach too he is mainly in charge of the defensive stuff he usually takes up the opposite side of the field being radioed up to maloney at the other , big addition from loughrea i think

nowadays players would be told your down on the starting 15 for sunday but you wont be starting , back in loughnanes time he told players thursday night that they were starting only to break them 30 minutes before throw in and tell them there on the bench and someone else is starting ahead of them

i think to be fair to the management they really improved after the munster final last year and through out the league this year , better game plans quicker decisions on the line also , this lad gavin keary looks like a really good coach too he is mainly in charge of the defensive stuff he usually takes up the opposite side of the field being radioed up to maloney at the other , big addition from loughrea i think

Keary is definitely a good addition. I understand your point but I wouldn't change my point of view. I just dont agree with naming dummy teams. It's not done by the top teams and Clare dont need to resort to it. Gilligan in 97 would be the only time it worked but it was still wrong.

tipperary team for sunday , forwards look light enough as always :rolleyes::pac:

should be some interesting battles in the middle 3rd however especially our half forward line against there half back line seems even , our full forwarward line could do damage but so can theres , should be a very interesting 70 minutes to say the least

https://twitter.com/TipperaryGAA/status/1134551250555592706

Keary is definitely a good addition. I understand your point but I wouldn't change my point of view. I just dont agree with naming dummy teams. It's not done by the top teams and Clare dont need to resort to it. Gilligan in 97 would be the only time it worked but it was still wrong.

i personally would prefer it to be like soccer , where you pick your squad a few days before the game and pick whatever 15 you like on the day

any time i ever went to an english soccer game the squad was printed on the programme with the team announced about 45 minutes before kick off , which cannot be changed

Half-Time U20 Football Development League at Miltown Malbay

Westmeath 1-5 Clare 0-2

Half-Time U20 Football Development League at Miltown Malbay

Westmeath 1-5 Clare 0-2

Result

Westmeath 1-12 Clare 0-11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

Davy o halloran starting good man collins....the yank on the bench....

Firstly I wish Kevin Hartnett a most full and speedy recovery after his bad injury he sustained late on in the match. There is no man more passionate for Clare than Hartnett who is one of those honest tenacious warrior type players that you need in the dressing room. Prior to that he was having a stormer for the saffron and blue this evening. Get well soon Kevin

Well it was a bittersweet performance from Clare. Plenty of heart and courage which was great to see. In defense I thought that Hartnett and with the evergreen Gordon Kelly were immense today. Stephen Ryan made some crucial first half saves which if they had gone in to the back of the net, it could have been a massacre.

In attack I felt that that Gary Brennan and Eoin Cleary were very good today with their direct running and their honesty causing havoc for the Kerry men. The long balls to Bohannon experiment failed spectacularly I'm afraid though in the 1st 35 mins. However when we pushed up on Kerry's kick-outs in the 2nd half, we played much much better

Crucially though the 2nd half score read Clare 0-9 Kerry 0-6. Plenty to ponder for Peter Keane and the Kingdom though who were quite poor at times.

However my main concern though is for Kevin, who I saw is gone off on an ambulance from the ground shortly after full-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭fire_man

Firstly I wish Kevin Hartnett a most full and speedy recovery after his bad injury he sustained late on in the match. There is no man more passionate for Clare than Hartnett who is one of those honest tenacious warrior type players that you need in the dressing room. Prior to that he was having a stormer for the saffron and blue this evening. Get well soon Kevin

Well it was a bittersweet performance from Clare. Plenty of heart and courage which was great to see. In defense I thought that Hartnett and with the evergreen Gordon Kelly were immense today. Stephen Ryan made some crucial first half saves which if they had gone in to the back of the net, it could have been a massacre.

In attack I felt that that Gary Brennan and Eoin Cleary were very good today with their direct running and their honesty causing havoc for the Kerry men. The long balls to Bohannon experiment failed spectacularly I'm afraid though in the 1st 35 mins. However when we pushed up on Kerry's kick-outs in the 2nd half, we played much much better

Crucially though the 2nd half score read Clare 0-9 Kerry 0-6. Plenty to ponder for Peter Keane and the Kingdom though who were quite poor at times.

However my main concern though is for Kevin, who I saw is gone off on an ambulance from the ground shortly after full-time.

Thanks for report.Wishing Kevin a speedy recovery .What players came on tonight and for who?

fire_man wrote: »
    Thanks for report.Wishing Kevin a speedy recovery .What players came on tonight and for who?

Eoghan Collins, Gavin Cooney, Cormac Murray, Kieren Malone (who made a very good impact with his directness at the Kerry defense), Dean Ryan and Alan Sweeney came on for Sean Collins, Darragh Bohannon, Cillian Brennan, Sean O'Donoghue, Conal O'Hanafein (black card) and the injured Kevin Hartnett respectively.

• Advertisement

tonight was a strange one , first half we played like a poor division 4 team , kerry led 1-08 to 0-2 before we kicked our first score from play , the tactic of bohannon did not work , apparently he was flying in training but he is not really up to this level i dont think

1-9 to 0-3 points down at half time ,it could have been a hell of a lot worse , geany and clifford both hit the post and but for an excellent save by conal o'hanifinn james o'donohue would have had two goals to his name at the break , we kicked some terrible wides in both halves too in the last 20 minutes we must have squandered at least 5 good scoring chances form play also some of our frees in front of goal was diabolical also , guys like cleary and tubridy have set a far higher standard than that

in the second half we beat them by 0-9 to 0-6 , while kerry have injuries at the moment they are struggling in terms of depth , first up was a black card to david moran in the first half which evened up the midfield area , then came the injury to james o donohue who walked off the field on his own accord holding his hamstring early in the second half , then the injury to sean o'shea with 10 or 12 minutes to go

by the time o'shea had left the field the sides were pretty much 50/50 to be fair , we never look liked scoring a goal really , maybe a half chance at the end of the game , but had we not been so wasteful in front of goal we would have caused them huge problems , kerrys intensity levels dropped quite quickly in the second half too which i taught was strange for them , after the break for the sean o shea kevin hartnett injury one or two kerry lads looked completely out on there feet

to be fair kerry were missing 5 tonight , Jack Barry , Jack Savage , Dara Moynihan Paul Murphy , Peter Crowley , coincide that with a david moran black card , james o donohue and sean o'shea departing its no wonder we finished well really

from our own point of view , cian o'dea was excellent in the sweeper role , brennan had a decent game , cathal o connor took over the middle after moran departed , tubridy, cleary and malone all kicked some nice scores but missed several unforgivable ones too

credible second half performance but if we had put in a better shift in the first half we really could have rattled them tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭fire_man

Good reviews guys. How far will they get in qualifiers?

fire_man wrote: »
    Good reviews guys. How far will they get in qualifiers?

All depends on who we get, win two games and you have a playoff for the super 8s, if we play like we did in the second half tonight it is possible providing we improve our. Shooting, if we play like we done in the first half it could be a short year,

The team we need to avoid in round 2 would be monaghan especially away from home, if we get to round 3 we could face someone like mayo or the loser of Tyrone /donegal apart from any of them 4 I feel we could beat any team in the qualifiers especially with home advantage

Looking forward to today, not do or die by any means but a win would be huge going forward,

Looking forward to today, not do or die by any means but a win would be huge going forward,

It's close enough to a do or die. Lose and then face into the Ennis road showdown ...could be going into the last game against Cork absolutely needing a win..

FT Munster minor hurling championship

Clare 2-13 Tipperary 1-9

Outstanding win from the young men in saffron and blue. They now top the Munster MHC table and have games against Limerick next week and Cork the following Sunday. AN CLAR ABU!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭17togo

Some big name players should be dropped for the next day like John kiely did with limerick today! But won't happen I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 insecurebiped

Who do you think should be dropped?

Who do you think should be dropped?

you could pick any amount , probably the only one that played well for us today was cathal malone

• Advertisement

It's close enough to a do or die. Lose and then face into the Ennis road showdown ...could be going into the last game against Cork absolutely needing a win..

if we lose next week the scoring average will catch us unless we hammer cork . you will likely have 3 teams on 4 points if say limerick beat us and we beat cork . you would imagine cork wll have too much for waterford , that would not be good enough for us to make it out of the group

we have to beat limerick next week to give ourselves any real chance of progressing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement