Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Duties & Powers

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

1rishguy wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you go over the 40 Hrs between College and Attestation in the reserve, will these go towards the 208 required. Yes this is a different thread I realise.

I think only the 40 count, anything over is not considered part of the 208

• Registered Users Posts: 30 1rishguy

EnterNow wrote: »

So after Graduation is when any extra is taken into account?

So after Graduation is when any extra is taken into account?

After graduation, you'll be required to do a further 70/80 hours to meet your 208...regardless of how many you've done during your station training phase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Does anyone know if you go over the 40 Hrs between College and Attestation in the reserve, will these go towards the 208 required. Yes this is a different thread I realise.

OP only the 40 count. Some people did over 100 hours but it doesn't count towards the 208.

All Hours worked after being attested do count to the 208.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 GRHopefull

TylerIE wrote: »
    OP only the 40 count. Some people did over 100 hours but it doesn't count towards the 208.

Hi All,

I've completed over 140 hours but the majority of them were during phase 4 training in the station. I've volunteered to work weekends coming up in order to get my 208 hrs completed but the station has so many reserves it's hard to get in during the weekends to work (midweek working in the station is not an option).

Also I'm asking the question, should a reserve member miss the 208hrs when the 1yrs falls due can any hours worked after the 1yrs is up be backdated to form part of the no. of hours needed to achieve the initial 208 hrs (within reason.... by a week or two)

Thanks,

• Advertisement

GRHopefull wrote: »

Hi All,

I've completed over 140 hours but the majority of them were during phase 4 training in the station. I've volunteered to work weekends coming up in order to get my 208 hrs completed but the station has so many reserves it's hard to get in during the weekends to work (midweek working in the station is not an option).

Also I'm asking the question, should a reserve member miss the 208hrs when the 1yrs falls due can any hours worked after the 1yrs is up be backdated to form part of the no. of hours needed to achieve the initial 208 hrs (within reason.... by a week or two)

Thanks,

With your 140 hours I assume your excluding training. With your training hours added to whatever you did outside phase IV you should be near the 208.

If they miss the 208 the allowance for that year is missed. Locally your Sgt may possibly be able to review your hours with you if your only a few hours short (perhaps you had to stay on late with incidents to the end of a tour etc... Also if your in your first year it really should not be difficult to clock up 50 hours - its 5 full tours. If its an issue of your being let go home early at 4am or whatever on a night perhaps explain that you need the hours or if you do a weekend late ask your sgt if you can ask the night sgt if you can stay on with them for a while to clock up hours.

Or look to do a few half shifts from 5-10 pm in weekday evenings. Some stations will be delighted to have help in Public Office during this, particularly at the beginning of the month when people have tax forms etc.

Hi All,

I've completed over 140 hours but the majority of them were during phase 4 training in the station.

In the first year, 140 of the required 208 are taken up by your training phases. You can't start clocking up more hours until after your attested, so basically between attestation & the end of your first year you need to do 70 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 GRHopefull

In the first year, 140 of the required 208 are taken up by your training phases. You can't start clocking up more hours until after your attested, so basically between attestation & the end of your first year you need to do 70 hours

Thanks for the advise.

I've contacted my station to try and get the additional hours needed but have been advised on more than one occassion (over past few weeks) we (reserves) are not needed as the area is gone very quite.

In view of this, I was asking the question should my year come around and I submit my 208 hrs after the year has gone would the late submission of hours be backdated to the year applicable.

I appreciate any advise on this as previously I've read should any reserve miss the year end deadline even by 1 hrs they may not/don't get the yearly allowance.

E

Thanks for the advise.

I've contacted my station to try and get the additional hours needed but have been advised on more than one occassion (over past few weeks) we (reserves) are not needed as the area is gone very quite.

Transfer. Sounds like your station is not very supportive. Contact The Reserve Office in Garda Headquarters and find a station where reserves are wanted.

I know three stations that are on a weekly basis asking reserves to come in.

There's no reason for them to say your not needed - they should be able to take you in as third person in car or to put an extra person with a member on beat, or if it's that quiet even doing high vis patrols, com pol, or checkpoints.

You need your 208 in the year so any after the year end don't count.

Transfer.

Seconded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

Thanks for the advise.

May i ask who told you this, was it a regular member or was it your Sgt, as has been said either move to another unit, or move stations, is there any other reserve members in that station you are in that you have met, maybe ask them what the score is regarding what was said to you, and see if the same message was given to them.

Some stations dont want reserves because then a full time member has to go on the beat, which some dont like they would prefer to be in the comfort of the station or the car, that is why if you come in one of them will be sent out with you on the beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

transfer

theres plenty of overoworked under staffed units around the country that will be happy for an extra pair of hands on a weekend shift

move on and dont look back is what i say

Advertisement