Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Duties & Powers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

WilcoOut wrote: »
    nothing stopping you at all

great bit of kit

i have one myself, had to use it a few times, great thing to have. No one said a word bar one full member who i asked what was the story with carrying one. He said it a good thing to have but dont be flashing it about like rambo :P and no one in management will say anything. Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭brotherrabbit

redsurfer wrote: »
    i have one myself, had to use it a few times, great thing to have. No one said a word bar one full member who i asked what was the story with carrying one. He said it a good thing to have but dont be flashing it about like rambo :P and no one in management will say anything. Hope that helps

Well cheers man. good answer! changed the mag light for he led job..stunning piece of equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dan1994

A Question for any garda on here what do you think of reserve members in general....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Dan1994 wrote: »
    A Question for any garda on here what do you think of reserve members in general....?

Not a Garda, but did ask the same question.

Generally well accepted. Put basically , don't be a cock and you will be grand with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dan1994

yep i get on very well with them all but ive heard stories of reserves who think their the boss telling other members what to do etc, giving the rest of us a bad name they dont know their place which is to assist not telling others what to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

244. Deputy Seamus Kirk <A href="http://www.oireachtas.ie/members-hist/default.asp?housetype=0&HouseNum=31&MemberID=600"&gt;info.gifzoom.gif asked the Minister for Justice and Equality info.gif zoom.gif if he intends to expand the powers of members of the Garda Reserve to include powers attested to all gardaí under sections 4, 6 and 8 of the Public Order Act; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [13342/11]
    Minister for Justice and Equality (Deputy Alan Shatter): info.gif zoom.gif The range of powers and duties of Reserve gardaí is a matter for the Garda Commissioner to determine under section 15 (5) of the Garda Síochána Act 2005. The role of the Garda Reserve has, as recommended by the Garda Inspectorate, been under review and I look forward to the outcome of that review. The Government remains strongly committed to the development of the Reserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭brotherrabbit

Ha if this was issued today, we are looking at perhaps a decade to see it change....Love the speed of change

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭A.G.S

when is the inspectorates review going to be completed ? can't wait to see what the outcome is.Hopefully full powers will be rolled out soon like the specials in the UK.If their was ever a time for it its now! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

A.G.S wrote: »
    when is the inspectorates review going to be completed ? can't wait to see what the outcome is.Hopefully full powers will be rolled out soon like the specials in the UK.If their was ever a time for it its now! :)

Why would they give full powers to Reserve Garda that have not been fully trained in all aspects of the law, there is a lot more involved then just giving out powers, and a lot more education to be done for this to be achieved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 enforcer44

the only powers we need is the bread and butter of law and that is public order as you all know..... this is mostly what we deal with and also it will be a way for us to prove ourselves in front of the big boys but if we get it dont let it go to your head like most full timers..... bring on sec 4,6 and 8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭A.G.S

sorry for my lack of knowledge in the above post.I ment to have full power when it came to public order.so bring on the review :)

enforcer44 wrote: »
    the only powers we need is the bread and butter of law and that is public order as you all know..... this is mostly what we deal with and also it will be a way for us to prove ourselves in front of the big boys but if we get it dont let it go to your head like most full timers..... bring on sec 4,6 and 8

Even with them powers, more training will be needed just like anything new, as they say crawl before we walk, slowly slowly catche the monkey.
    A.G.S wrote: »
    sorry for my lack of knowledge in the above post.I ment to have full power when it came to public order.so bring on the review

Yep not a problem all good in the hood ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Galway Elvis

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    Even with them powers, more training will be needed just like anything new, as they say crawl before we walk, slowly slowly catche the monkey.

I think we need to be careful what some of us wish for. The Public Order Act is easy to opperate IF and WHEN it is being used on a daily or regular basis.

The day will come when extra powers are given to Reserves. The first dozen times anyone of us use those extra powers will be where we realy learn when not to use them. That is what the top brass want us to learn.

Once we pop our cherry on the paper work and potential for "unfavourable comment" from every rank above us, because of the inevitable mistakes that will be made while on the learning curve, it will no doubt become easier.

That monkey will catch up to us before we know it.

I think we need to be careful what some of us wish for. The Public Order Act is easy to opperate IF and WHEN it is being used on a daily or regular basis.

The day will come when extra powers are given to Reserves. The first dozen times anyone of us use those extra powers will be where we realy learn when not to use them. That is what the top brass want us to learn.

Once we pop our cherry on the paper work and potential for "unfavourable comment" from every rank above us, because of the inevitable mistakes that will be made while on the learning curve, it will no doubt become easier.

That monkey will catch up to us before we know it.

I understand the paper work , but is a crime not a crime regardless of who dose the paper work? It's a formality of every single job these days. From Garda to working in the local supermarket.

Garda filling out his paper work so he dosen't get the **** sued off him too the local lad down the supermarket making sure he is filling out the paper work too make sure the fridge is at the right temperature so he doesn't get the **** sued out of him...

Paperwork is a new thing and a thing that is here to stay and it will get worse !!

msg11 wrote: »
    I understand the paper work , but is a crime not a crime regardless of who dose the paper work? It's a formality of every single job these days. From Garda to working in the local supermarket.

Garda filling out his paper work so he dosen't get the **** sued off him too the local lad down the supermarket making sure he is filling out the paper work too make sure the fridge is at the right temperature so he doesn't get the **** sued out of him...

Paperwork is a new thing and a thing that is here to stay and it will get worse !!

You will find its more than paperwork involved, once you get into that box you need to know what you are talking about, that is the training you will need should further powers come down the line, and all the T are crossed, the GRA will only be waiting on a reserve to feck something up and they will be all over it like a rash believe me.

Ya think the "mollycoddling" name was bad, it will also end up all over the Review paper they produce as well

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    You will find its more than paperwork involved, once you get into that box you need to know what you are talking about, that is the training you will need should further powers come down the line, and all the T are crossed, the AGS will only be waiting on a reserve to feck something up and they will be all over it like a rash believe me.

Ya think the "mollycoddling" name was bad, it will also end up all over the Review paper they produce as well

would have to agree with zone alarm..
    more powers mean more responsibility and remember we are only volunteers, and its almost impossibe to get the 1000 euro expenses from the system as i put in my claim in march and havent got anything yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Galway Elvis

msg11 wrote: »

Wow,.... it is hard to know where to start with this one.

I think you need to first declare if you are a current serving Reserve Member of AGS or in training to become one.

If you are and you think that paperwork is completed by any member of AGS and anyone working in a shop for the same reason, to avoid being sued, then it is very bad day for Reserves.
    If one Reserve is found to think that way then the rest of us will have to work harder again to avoid being tarred with the same brush.

The hard part of using any extra powers we might get in relation to the Public Order Act is not the paperwork. It is forming the opinion that you need to exercise them powers and then depriving another human of their liberty and all the possible consequences that could entail for the indivudal.

If you have done the real hard bit of making a serious effort to show you are a team player on a unit and the regular members have come to trust you then paperwork will be easier. You will have plenty of help and advice in completing any that is required.

For the record I have worked in shops and filled out all the paperwork that was required. I have also had to fill out a FORM form, twice. There is no comparrision in any way between the two.

I have no part of AGS. Guess I got the wrong end of the stick here.

What I was trying to say is, is there some problem with a reserve filling out paperwork to do with public order ?

Sorry maybe sued was too strong a word. Just to back things up to show that it's been handled correctly and to protocol if it's ever brought up. I don't see the problem with a reserve doing that. In the end if it helps them become active and helps them become less 'mollycoddled' then that can only become a good thing.

Also, I again understand what you mean about forming an option that the situation requires the use of a public order section as the above is based on that.

It's just I find it hard to understand the problem here? Maybe it's because I am looking in from the outside on this. The way I see it is a Garda's job is too build up evidence and form options on the situation and make the right decision. Is there a reason the reserves should not be the same?

I have heard the term , they are an extra set of hands. But would they not be better if they were an extra set of hands with some feet and the ability to use there head/hand out directions in a situation and not stand there helpless.

On the taking away a persons liberty and all the rest of that, surely a reserve/full time Garda knows this going in? And the power is there to be used within law and dose not make you above it. Also at the same time having the cop on to use it when the situation arises and not just because you can.

Sorry if confussed you in the last post and just to clear up I am not dicating that the above should be the way, just merely asking questions again from the outside looking in.

On the shop forms and Garda forms, I understand they are miles apart from each other. What I was saying was are they not used in the case of a problem, one person says something and your saying something else. Go back to the form, it says what it says and is signed off by yourself and someone above yourself. That was what I was getting at.

Also in any job, it takes a year or two to get to know someone very well and start to have the 'crack' with them, so I understand that bit.

Hope I have cleared up my last post!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

This term 'paper work' is being thrown about like all that is involved post arrest is ticking some boxes. If the further powers some reserves here are seeking are awarded (even for only public order offences) the 'paperwork' to be completed following an arrest includes one or all of the following (depending on the offence obviously);

charge sheet, bail bond, possibly prepare a file, take statements, seek out & preserve cctv, prepare précis of evidence, give evidence of arrest, charge and caution, comply with court orders re: disclosure, summons witnesses, give evidence & prosecute their case at hearing. All of the above does not include work involved in an arrest which requires a detention

If people believe that a part time reserve withoutthe experience or training of a full time member could do all of the above they are deluded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

This term 'paper work' is being thrown about like all that is involved post arrest is ticking some boxes. If the further powers some reserves here are seeking are awarded (even for only public order offences) the 'paperwork' to be completed following an arrest includes one or all of the following (depending on the offence obviously);

charge sheet, bail bond, possibly prepare a file, take statements, seek out & preserve cctv, prepare précis of evidence, give evidence of arrest, charge and caution, comply with court orders re: disclosure, summons witnesses, give evidence & prosecute their case at hearing. All of the above does not include work involved in an arrest which requires a detention

If people believe that a part time reserve withoutthe experience or training of a full time member could do all of the above they are deluded.

OK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭seedorf117

public order powers, and reserves on beat without full time guard will be introduced i suspect

seedorf117 wrote: »
    public order powers, and reserves on beat without full time guard will be introduced i suspect

Independent Patrol - Never - 100% - Fact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭seedorf117

Independent Patrol - Never - 100% - Fact
    "never" is a word nobody can use im afraid, none of us know what is around the corner. I respect your opinion, but in the future i can certainly see reserves being given more responsibilty seeing as recruitment has come to a halt.

"never" is a word nobody can use im afraid, none of us know what is around the corner. I respect your opinion, but in the future i can certainly see reserves being given more responsibilty seeing as recruitment has come to a halt.

In my lifetime this will Never happen and hopefully i have a good good few years left in me -
    Independent patrol will NEVER be granted to the reserves -
    - sorry but that is Fact - Would love it myself but I know what I know! :cool:

Are you are reserve?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

OK

Wow..insightful! 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

I'd love for it to happen as it would dramatically increase morale and enthusiasm among many reserves I know but seemingly its only been considered so far as to rule it out for the long term.... While at least PO etc have been considered, independant patrol has just been fully ruled out.

As for part timers preparing files etc, the Specials in the UK do it regularly.... A large part of the learning curve for Reserves would be to know when NOT to use them though. But it could be useful for minor offences and those involving simple investigations if a Reserve was able to do it themselves, rather than everything having to go through the full timer. The current situation of a reg having two pairs of eyes, but only one person to do the follow-up doesnt do much for the Reserve.... or for the reg in an under-staffed work environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sharpknife

total waste of time....take forever to recruit & now they dont have enough to pay full time guards. Reserve dont get to do much either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

sharpknife wrote: »
    total waste of time....take forever to recruit & now they dont have enough to pay full time guards. Reserve dont get to do much either

If that refers to the money money spent on the reserve, it wouldnt make a dent in the salaries of regular Gardai.

If the money spent on the reserve was reallocated to increase the pay of existing Gardai, it would give them at most €150 a year extra, before tax.

Which is about 80 euro a year each, after tax+levies, or a whopping €1.54 a week per guard.

• Advertisement

sharpknife wrote: »

What is this in connection with? :confused:

Advertisement