Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Issues - Priest refuses to perform a wedding!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

if they are not a service provider then why the charge?
    If they are a service provider (a term I'd have issue with anyway) then it's perfectly within their rights to decide on what days they wish to provide that service. If the priest doesn't want to do a wedding on the day, he doesn't have to. Whether it's for a "valid" reason, or just because he wants to watch the sound of music that morning, is none of your concern. His time, his decision how he wants to spend it.

If your attitude with the priest is anything like it has been here, ie: exhibiting an overweening sense of entitlement and dismissiveness of other peoples times during the holiday season, then I can see why the priest didn't bother to give you any "legitimate" reasons.

Oh, and I'm an atheist, and your attitude even grates on me, someone who give two !"£$s about the church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

smanning wrote: »
    I am hoping to get married at the end of this year in a church in the south east. The priest is being very unreasonable stating that while the church will be open on the day it would be unfair to ask people to do a mass given the time of year? I have offered to make a charitable donation or compensate anyone who might feel "put out" by having to do whatever it is that has to be done in order to ready the church for the wedding.

Does anyone know what I can do to resolve this. Where can I take this issue as the priest is being very unhelpful for whatever reason?

Any help would really be very much appreciated. Thanks

This is a sad reality. Me and my wife had problems when getting married, the priest was being a pain in the backside, you dont even wanna know how many months it took us to get it sorted. I dont think he realised I was quite the student of theology and I brought him to the code of canon, to which he babbled some response, but the thing is I'm still Catholic and dont judge my church by the sinfulness of its members.

anyway after my confrontation it was sorted, you should be allowed a mass its part of the canon. I'll look it up for you when I can and research the best possible answer I can get for you, that is if you have not already resloved the issue at hand and that you permit me to do so and give me a few days to respond?

God bless
    Stephen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

This is a sad reality. Me and my wife had problems when getting married, the priest was being a pain in the backside, you dont even wanna know how many months it took us to get it sorted. I dont think he realised I was quite the student of theology and I brought him to the code of canon, to which he babbled some response, but the thing is I'm still Catholic and dont judge my church by the sinfulness of its members.

anyway after my confrontation it was sorted, you should be allowed a mass its part of the canon. I'll look it up for you when I can and research the best possible answer I can get for you, that is if you have not already resloved the issue at hand and that you permit me to do so and give me a few days to respond?

God bless
    Stephen.
    :eek:Hey. Did ye all see that. Christians, Atheists and Wiccans all agreeing on something!!!
    But isnt this attitude so very typical of the avearge Irish a la carte catholic?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

:eek:Hey. Did ye all see that. Christians, Atheists and Wiccans all agreeing on something!!!
    But isnt this attitude so very typical of the avearge Irish a la carte catholic?:rolleyes:

I would say, no, it isn't typical. This thread is about what constitutes a reasonable request. It just so happens that nobody else on this thread happens to agree with the OP that the request is reasonable. As for accusations about à la carte Catholicism, perhaps you should read the final post from the OP. To me it reads as sufficiently scathing to suggest that the OP doesn't give a fiddlers about Catholicism.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Antbert

Maybe Ghostbuster is onto something. People of different and no religions unite to be irritated by unreasonable requests.

Could this be applied on a bigger scale?

• Advertisement

I would say, no, it isn't typical. This thread is about what constitutes a reasonable request. It just so happens that nobody else on this thread happens to agree with the OP that the request is reasonable. As for accusations about à la carte Catholicism, perhaps you should read the final post from the OP. To me it reads as sufficiently scathing to suggest that the OP doesn't give a fiddlers about Catholicism.
    Hi. Sorry about that. Yeah I suppose I was using a wide brush alright but this issue always bemuses me. It comes up time and time again and regulary appears in the "Letters to the editor" section of the papers. Folk who dont attend their local church for years on end who then become indignant when they are not pandered to by the self same church. Its at times like this when I find myself in the odd position of agreeing with the clergy.
    I still wouldnt be at all surprised if the OP still ticks the "Catholic" box on a census form despite the final post from the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 smanning

I think people are getting a bit distracted from the original facts and circumstances.

i am happy to clear up a few issues. i am catholic, not practising, and attend church once a year to keep my relatives happy at christmas. i believe it is a severly flawed religion, as many of your responses have shown, and if it did not have such a strong hold in Ireland I would be the first to walk away entriely. if I want to get married in a church, then it needs to be a catholic church. i need to get letters from my church (wherever that is) to say that i can get married in a different church. i need to go to pre marriage conselling to receive advice from someone who has never been married. i need to have some priest bless our marriage while all around him the evil which his colleagues have created is still being felt. if i want my kids to attend the same good schools i did then i need them to be baptised and get their communion and confirmation and so the viscuous cycle continues.

i am not a hypocrit, just playing the game that i find myself in.

and for all the moaning about the dates and how reasoanble the priest is and how unreasonable i am to want his assistance, just leave those comments off. every other church is offering 3 weddings a day on the 27th, 28th, 29th and all over chrsitmas so these comments are more out of ignorance thn anything else.

Im not here to bash your (and mine sadly) religion, just looking for a helping hand for a situaion that I am not familiar with.

By the way, the Irish Times today said that well in excess of half the population want the church to hand over control of primary schools. ye are on the decline lads!

I think people are getting a bit distracted from the original facts and circumstances.

i am happy to clear up a few issues. i am catholic, not practising, and attend church once a year to keep my relatives happy at christmas. i believe it is a severly flawed religion, as many of your responses have shown, and if it did not have such a strong hold in Ireland I would be the first to walk away entriely. if I want to get married in a church, then it needs to be a catholic church. i need to get letters from my church (wherever that is) to say that i can get married in a different church. i need to go to pre marriage conselling to receive advice from someone who has never been married. i need to have some priest bless our marriage while all around him the evil which his colleagues have created is still being felt. if i want my kids to attend the same good schools i did then i need them to be baptised and get their communion and confirmation and so the viscuous cycle continues.

and for all the moaning about the dates and how reasoanble the priest is and how unreasonable i am to want his assistance, just leave those comments off. every other church is offering 3 weddings a day on the 27th, 28th, 29th and all over chrsitmas so these comments are more out of ignorance thn anything else.

Im not here to bash your (and mine sadly) religion, just looking for a helping hand for a situaion that I am not familiar with.

By the way, the Irish Times today said that well in excess of half the population want the church to hand over control of primary schools. ye are on the decline lads!

Ah but there is little or no need to "play the game" as you put it.
    I got married in a registry office and as my wife is a pagan we had a hand fasting in a friends gorgeous garden the next day. The registry office part is all that is needed legally. And since the law change the registrar will attend a place of your choosing (with some exceptions)so it doesnt have to take place in a grotty registry office.
    If you feel so strongly about Catholicism then just follow the steps on www.countmeout.ie and you can formally defect from the Catholic Church. Its really simple
    As you said "Ye are on the decline " so why not help this decline by formally defecting and not "playing the game" as there really is no need. (Im not one of the YE by the way!:D)

Now I cant speak for your local schools but I know lots of folk of non Catholic folk or of no faith who have sent their kids to Catholic schools with no difficulty. MY own child is not being brought up in any faith and is unbaptised and is attending the local Catholic school despite it being known that Daddy is an atheist and Mammy is a Protestant by heritage and Pagan by choosing! Im not presuming to know the ins and out of the schools you are discussing but if they are prepared to turn the "faith " card then are they really the best choice? Kick up a fuss with your local TD's. It is whats needed to get this country to become the democratic republic it claims to be.
    Or consider an Educate Together school if there is one near you.

Hope this helps

Me again. I have a bit more time to look at your post properly. I reallythink you are jumping to conclusions or receiving misinformation from somewhere.
    "it needs to be a catholic church.".. No. A registry office is all you need.

"i need to get letters from my church (wherever that is) to say that i can get married in a different church". If you are not a practicing Catholic, have issues with the Catholic Church then why are you doing this??? Use a registrar!

" i need to go to pre marriage conselling to receive advice from someone who has never been married. i need to have some priest bless our marriage while all around him the evil which his colleagues have created is still being felt."
    No you dont (see above") If you feel this strongly about the Church and yet go along with it then you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem.

"i need them to be baptised and get their communion and confirmation and so the viscuous cycle continues."
    NO you dont. Im not doing it and I live in a rural community and there is no issue. This may have been the case a while back but it is slowly changing. Help the change rather than just going with the flow!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

i am happy to clear up a few issues. i am catholic, not practising, and attend church once a year to keep my relatives happy at christmas.

If you're old and mature enough to get married, how about you act like it and make your own decisions? Not interested, then don't go.
    ...i believe it is a severly flawed religion, as many of your responses have shown,....

Mind my asking, which responses have shown that the religion itself is flawed? :confused:
    ....and if it did not have such a strong hold in Ireland I would be the first to walk away entriely....

You wouldn't be the first, you wouldn't even be the 1001st. Didn't you mean to say 'if my relatives did not have such a strong hold over me...'?
    if I want to get married in a church, then it needs to be a catholic church.

Just confused over this one. If I want to get married in a Catholic Church then it needs to be a Catholic Church... yes well, I thought that was self evident. If you want to get married in any other denomination's church then switch to those denominations...or a registry office. Except you're playing the Mrs Bucket card on that one :rolleyes:
    ...i need to get letters from my church (wherever that is) to say that i can get married in a different church.

If you have been with accountant y for a few years and for some reason you want to switch to accountant x.... then you will need to present x, with a letter from y confirming that y knows of no reason why x should not be able to act as accountant for you. The same thing applies in many walks of life.
    i need to go to pre marriage conselling to receive advice from someone who has never been married.

Chances are they know a lot, lot more than you do about dedicating their life to a cause greater than themselves. No offence but it seems an area that you could pick up some pointers in.
    ...i need to have some priest bless our marriage while all around him the evil which his colleagues have created is still being felt.

"Colleagues" who didn't actually act in their faith, or live their religion. People who took refuge in the Church to keep up appearances, and use it when it suited them... reminds me more of yourself than it does of the genuine Catholic clergy.
    if i want my kids to attend the same good schools i did then i need them to be baptised and get their communion and confirmation and so the viscuous cycle continues.

Not likely. I went to a school associated with a Catholic order of monks.. in the school at the time were people of various Protestant faiths, a few Muslims, etc. If you don't like the school's policy then go somewhere else.
    ....i am not a hypocrit, just playing the game that i find myself in..

A hypocritical game?
    .......and for all the moaning about the dates and how reasoanble the priest is and how unreasonable i am to want his assistance, just leave those comments off. every other church is offering 3 weddings a day on the 27th, 28th, 29th and all over chrsitmas so these comments are more out of ignorance thn anything else.

Then surely the obvious solution is to go to another church? :confused:

..and yet you've only managed to do just that, repeatedly. Hmm, once again just what help do you think anyone here can give you?

I am a practising Catholic and I want the Church to hand over control of schools. What's your point?

• Advertisement

Why not move the reception?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

i am happy to clear up a few issues. i am catholic, not practising, and attend church once a year to keep my relatives happy at christmas. i believe it is a severly flawed religion, as many of your responses have shown, and if it did not have such a strong hold in Ireland I would be the first to walk away entriely.

etc.
    I can understand why you'll pretend to be catholic for a day to appease your wife/family (I did it myself) - but why are you pretending to be in here?

You're clearly not a catholic.

Will the church not entertain you even if you bring your own priest? If they will you have nearly a year to find yourself a priest to bring with you. You might have to dust off your Sunday best more often, though.

I dont get it when you say "Ye are in decline lads".
    Many of the responses here are from atheists and at least one from a Wiccan. Which group are you refering to when you say ye? Is it Christians, catholics, atheists or Wiccans?
    You have pulled off a master stroke in uniteing us all! This has nothing to do with religion but with you being unreasonable and down right unimaginative regarding your options. If you are a catholic get married in the church you should be attending if you are a catholic. If you are not (youre not) have a civil union and a dam good party afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

i need to get letters from my church (wherever that is) to say that i can get married in a different church.

Just in regards this as I know a small bit about it from my brother's wedding. He got married in a Protestant Church in England (his wife's Protestant & English so it made sense) and he had to get this letter from our parish priest. He asked them why and the response he got is that the main reason is to show that he hadn't gotten married in his local church and he could, in the eyes of God not only the law, get married in the other church. It wasn't that much of a fuss to get it sorted - he rang the parish priest (who didn't even know him properly), told him who he was & what he was doing & all the priest wanted to know was the name of the vicar & the address to send the letter to.

I read a suggestion earlier in the thread about getting your own parish priest to have a word with this priest on your behalf & do think it's the best idea. However if you only go to your own church once a year then he may not be willing to. I know my brother had to attend service as often as possible in a 6 month period before the wedding (and be seen by the vicar) to show that he and his (now) wife were willing to be part of the community - your parish priest & this priest may feel the same.

As for the other points you raise, if you do dislike the church & "the game" as you put it then you do not have to go along with it. There are a number of non-faith schools around & most schools are willing to take students who are not the religion of the school. I was in 2 very Catholic schools - primary & secondary both run by nuns but we had atheists, Muslims & Protestants. Didn't make a difference to the level of education & I don't think they were in any way discriminated against for their faith (or non-faith as was the case).

I know a number of churches who don't do weddings in the lead up to and the period after Christmas so I think your comment is wrong about every other church offering 3 weddings a day on these dates. In fact I know 2 churches that only did funerals on these dates last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

I've no idea how to work the mutli quote, so I'm replying to the bits in bold...

-If you're old enough to get married, you're old enough to tell your relatives that you are a lapsed/non-practising Catholic, and find it hypocritical to go through the motions. This is your life, not theirs. If it were for anniversaries/funerals etc, then fine, that is something that *needs* to be done to keep *some* relatives happy. I've not attended anything other than the big four (christening/wedding/funeral/anniversaries) for that reason. I'm 26, and have been doing that since the age of 16/17.

-Many people agree that the Church is severely flawed. Many people who replied here are of different religions (I'd be describing myself as lapsed Catholic here) You can walk away from the church. If it's a case that your fiancee is a believer/practiser, and you have to go along with that for them, well that's your choice. You can get married in a non-religious ceremony anywhere nowadays, (as far as I can remember) as long as the venue is non-religious. If you want the full church wedding, then (imo) you should be a practising member of that church wedding. You might find that if you were heavily, or even just regularly involved in a parish, there would be no problem with your chosen date. You mentioned that several other churches are offering three weddings a day on the 27/28/29th, why not go to one of those?

-The counsellors who run those course must be married for a minimum amount of years (can't remember if it's 5 or 15). This I know as my mother works in this area.

-If you don't want to be a hypocrite, then don't play the game! Say to your fiancee that you don't want a church/Catholic wedding.

-I have major doubts that you're speaking about the same religion that everyone else is, seeing as there appears to be peoples from several different religions here...:D

I'm not trying to rile you, but if you (objectively) read your own posts, you might see that you're coming across as stubborn, and unwilling to take other's advice/opinions on board in this situation. If you take your situation, and apply it to a different walk of life, ie

You go to the same branch of a coffe chain for 10+ years. The employees know you, and will rush you ahead in the queue sometimes. They top up your coffee for free, they let you off money now and again, or keep you a table, even though it's not the kinda place where you can book ahead.

Then you go to another branch, and get stuck in a queue for 20 mins, even though all you want is just a regular coffee. They charge you for the top-up you look for & refuse to hold you a table for 11am, even though you've arranged to meet people there at that time.

Who's in the right there...?
    Just something to think about. I do hope it works out for you OP, I know how special a wedding day is for the couple & family involved, but sometimes, it does mean compromising on the things you really wanted. The main thing is that you two get married because you love each other-the rest of the day, ie location/guests/reception, should be there as added extras to make the day even more special.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Antbert

I imagine your problem with the Registary Office is that your family will be displeased, and sometimes it's just easier to appease them.

I offer you solutions.

1. **** it. Do whatever you want, and stop trying to people-please.

2. Get them to sort out the church if it matters so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

i should be able to have this wedding in any church.
    It's comment like this that make me cringe when non religious people call religious people deluded.

It's comment like this that make me cringe when non religious people call religious people deluded.

I hear ya but its open to question as to how religious or not the OP is. Undecided would be the best estimate!
    I dont think its fair to lump either the theists or athiests into this mix. Most folk on here have a fairly concrete basis to stand on. This just seems to be a sense of entitlement with no understanding of the bigger picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

No, I think you were expecting sympathetic answers, and now that you've seen rational answers, you're getting frustrated.
    am happy to clear up a few issues. i am catholic, not practising, and attend church once a year to keep my relatives happy at christmas.

I'm sorry, but if this is the case, you are not a Catholic. I find it quite peculiar how people who no longer go to Mass, who no longer pray and who give out about the church, have the audacity and oblivion to suggest they are still a member of the church. Also, if you're an adult, act like one and stop appeasing your relatives.

i believe it is a severly flawed religion, as many of your responses have shown, and if it did not have such a strong hold in Ireland I would be the first to walk away entriely.

If you believe it is a flawed religion, why are you so persistent to have your wedding in a Catholic Church? Also, our many responses have shown that you are in the minority, and there's a very good reason for that. You have not provided a rational, selfless argument for having your wedding in a Catholic Church, which you have no connection with, during what is one of the most busiest times for a church in the year. I think you'll find it is not ours, but your responses(which have contained some derogatory comments to posters here) that are flawed.
    I want to get married in a church, then it needs to be a catholic church.

Why do you want your wedding to be in a church that you have so little regard for? I find that hypocritical at best. Why must it be a Catholic church? Is it to please the relatives again?
    I need to get letters from my church (wherever that is) to say that i can get married in a different church.

This is all procedure. Every single couple who want to get married in a church in a place away from their own parish, must have the necessary documents.
    i need to go to pre marriage conselling to receive advice from someone who has never been married.

As somebody already pointed out, most of these counsellors have been married before. Regardless of whether they have or not, they have a lot more knowledge of marriage and it's various obstacles than you and many others. I would recommend you to go to a pre-marriage course, because I think you need a few tips judging from your posts.
    i need to have some priest bless our marriage while all around him the evil which his colleagues have created is still being felt.

The priests that abused children were not working in the spirit of God. They went into a profession that provided access to children in order to carry out their sick atrocities. However, they were not servants of God-they were simply impersonators. Most priests out there are good men, who work in the name of our Lord and who do good for the community-so why paint all priests with the same brush?

if i want my kids to attend the same good schools i did then i need them to be baptised and get their communion and confirmation and so the viscuous cycle continues.

Again, you are not familiar with the way certain systems work. I'm 16, go to school, and there are kids in my class, and indeed in my classes when I was in primary school, who did not make their First Holy Communion, nor their Confirmation. Furthermore, who weren't even baptised. I am a Catholic, and I went to a Catholic school and am presently in a Catholic Secondary school. So your argument above is unfounded.
    I am not a hypocrit, just playing the game that i find myself in.

Well in this 'game' your in, you have to 'play' by the rules. You are asking a priest, whom you don't even know because you don't go to Mass in the church, to perform your wedding during one of the most busiest times in the church in the year? You proceed to post up your argument on a national forum behind the priest's back and say that he is not doing his job properly, and more or less, that you have the right to have a wedding in any church of your choosing. Well I'm sorry, but you don't. Now get over it.
    and for all the moaning about the dates and how reasoanble the priest is and how unreasonable i am to want his assistance, just leave those comments off.

So what you're saying here is that you want us to say, 'he's totally in the wrong, you, a non-practising 'Catholic,' should have the authority to have your wedding in a church where you don't go to Mass? I'm sorry, this is Ireland, not Dreamland. The fact of the matter is, it is YOU and YOU alone who are unreasonable and irrational and can't accept that you can't have everything your way.

every other church is offering 3 weddings a day on the 27th, 28th, 29th and all over chrsitmas so these comments are more out of ignorance thn anything else.

Maybe some churches are offering to accommodate weddings on these dates, which I highly doubt as I think it is a misperceived opinion on your behalf, but this church isn't, so if you're so obsessed with having your wedding in a church, why don't you go to one of these churches, which apparently offer them for these 3 days?

What more help do you need? We have told you that the church does not have to open for you. If it was to open, the priest, caretakers, altar servers, cleaners, etc. would all have to sacrifice their precious family time, to cater for a person who doesn't even attend Mass in their church-how is that fair? Also, if you're so sad about being a 'Catholic,' as you so loosely put it, wake up and realise that if you don't attend Mass, don't agree with the way the church is run, criticise priests and seem to have a truly negative picture of Catholicism, you are not a Catholic.
    By the way, the Irish Times today said that well in excess of half the population want the church to hand over control of primary schools.

Interesting. I've another statistic for you:

Well in excess of half of these replies have said that you're in the wrong and are selfish for even suggesting that a church opens exclusively for you, a non-practising 'Catholic.'
    ye are on the decline lads!

For an adult, you're very immature, I must say. Just because you're not getting your own way, you resort to taunts. Now we all know what kind of attitude the priest has to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

I'm 16,

Wow! What a post from a 16 year old!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

the time of year is not inconveniencing anyone as the vast majority of atendess will be flying home for our wedding no matter what the date and we considered it best to hold it close to chritsmas so that the lengthy and expensive flights could result in them spending quality time with family also.

the church location is close to the place where we will hold the reception and given the dangerous driving conditions we thought it best to change from our own local church and have it close to the reception as this will mean people do not have to travel during the wedding day itself but would have the opoportunity to drive down that morning or the day before.

to be honest, i think it is a complete joke.

so, in case it's crap weather on the day you want people to drive down the evening before, stay an extra night in the hotel at their expense, or, drive down that morning in the crap weather that you've forecast already.
    that makes zero sense, and yes it is a joke. it's you.

No, I think you were expecting sympathetic answers, and now that you've seen rational answers, you're getting frustrated.

I'm sorry, but if this is the case, you are not a Catholic. I find it quite peculiar how people who no longer go to Mass, who no longer pray and who give out about the church, have the audacity and oblivion to suggest they are still a member of the church. Also, if you're an adult, act like one and stop appeasing your relatives.

If you believe it is a flawed religion, why are you so persistent to have your wedding in a Catholic Church? Also, our many responses have shown that you are in the minority, and there's a very good reason for that. You have not provided a rational, selfless argument for having your wedding in a Catholic Church, which you have no connection with, during what is one of the most busiest times for a church in the year. I think you'll find it is not ours, but your responses(which have contained some derogatory comments to posters here) that are flawed.

Why do you want your wedding to be in a church that you have so little regard for? I find that hypocritical at best. Why must it be a Catholic church? Is it to please the relatives again?

This is all procedure. Every single couple who want to get married in a church in a place away from their own parish, must have the necessary documents.

As somebody already pointed out, most of these counsellors have been married before. Regardless of whether they have or not, they have a lot more knowledge of marriage and it's various obstacles than you and many others. I would recommend you to go to a pre-marriage course, because I think you need a few tips judging from your posts.

The priests that abused children were not working in the spirit of God. They went into a profession that provided access to children in order to carry out their sick atrocities. However, they were not servants of God-they were simply impersonators. Most priests out there are good men, who work in the name of our Lord and who do good for the community-so why paint all priests with the same brush?

Again, you are not familiar with the way certain systems work. I'm 16, go to school, and there are kids in my class, and indeed in my classes when I was in primary school, who did not make their First Holy Communion, nor their Confirmation. Furthermore, who weren't even baptised. I am a Catholic, and I went to a Catholic school and am presently in a Catholic Secondary school. So your argument above is unfounded.

Well in this 'game' your in, you have to 'play' by the rules. You are asking a priest, whom you don't even know because you don't go to Mass in the church, to perform your wedding during one of the most busiest times in the church in the year? You proceed to post up your argument on a national forum behind the priest's back and say that he is not doing his job properly, and more or less, that you have the right to have a wedding in any church of your choosing. Well I'm sorry, but you don't. Now get over it.

So what you're saying here is that you want us to say, 'he's totally in the wrong, you, a non-practising 'Catholic,' should have the authority to have your wedding in a church where you don't go to Mass? I'm sorry, this is Ireland, not Dreamland. The fact of the matter is, it is YOU and YOU alone who are unreasonable and irrational and can't accept that you can't have everything your way.

Maybe some churches are offering to accommodate weddings on these dates, which I highly doubt as I think it is a misperceived opinion on your behalf, but this church isn't, so if you're so obsessed with having your wedding in a church, why don't you go to one of these churches, which apparently offer them for these 3 days?

What more help do you need? We have told you that the church does not have to open for you. If it was to open, the priest, caretakers, altar servers, cleaners, etc. would all have to sacrifice their precious family time, to cater for a person who doesn't even attend Mass in their church-how is that fair? Also, if you're so sad about being a 'Catholic,' as you so loosely put it, wake up and realise that if you don't attend Mass, don't agree with the way the church is run, criticise priests and seem to have a truly negative picture of Catholicism, you are not a Catholic.

Well in excess of half of these replies have said that you're in the wrong and are selfish for even suggesting that a church opens exclusively for you, a non-practising 'Catholic.'

For an adult, you're very immature, I must say. Just because you're not getting your own way, you resort to taunts. Now we all know what kind of attitude the priest has to deal with.

Dear Moderator.
    Can we install a "Round of applause" or even a "Standing ovation" smiley for the above post!!!!!!!!!!
    Brilliant!

Well done well done well done!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

this will mean people do not have to travel during the wedding day itself but would have the opoportunity to drive down that morning or the day before.

i have to quote this again, just to re-iterate how stupid your whole argument is, apart from your dislike of the priest.
    is that morning not still your wedding day??! please i really really really want to know how you hope to bend time and space with that one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

When you say all this, then why on earrth do you want to get married in a church. Is it for the big white wedding, you can have the same with a cicil wedding. You sound like its the weding you want and not the marrage.

Why not have your big day (28th) in the hotel with a civil wedding.

You say " I need to have some priest bless our marriage when all around him the evil which his colleagues have created is still felt" Then why in earth do you want a church wedding. You really need to have a long hard think and it sounds so silly to want a charch wedding after all you have said and maybe you need to think about why you want to get married in the first place. I can understand why the priest would not be kean to give you the 28th as you are not church goers and that is fair, not to put himself out for someone who is unlightly to dart on his door again.

I got married in dec 04 and we had a cival wedding as I have major issues with the church AND IT WAS A MARRAGE I WANTED NOT JUST A WEDDING.

I am not trying to be mean, just honest with you.

Wishing yand you future husband all the best.

This just seems to be a sense of entitlement with no understanding of the bigger picture.

And what is the bigger picture that I seem to be missing? bearing in mind my original statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

And what is the bigger picture that I seem to be missing? bearing in mind my original statement.

That the world doesn't revolve around you.

Also, if you're an adult, act like one and stop appeasing your relatives.

Interesting, turn 18 and stop being nice to your relatives??? I see where ye are coming from now with your us and them stance. Ignoring the very fundamentals of your religion. Hilarious.

When you say all this, then why on earrth do you want to get married in a church. Is it for the big white wedding, you can have the same with a cicil wedding. You sound like its the weding you want and not the marrage.

Why not have your big day (28th) in the hotel with a civil wedding.

You say " I need to have some priest bless our marriage when all around him the evil which his colleagues have created is still felt" Then why in earth do you want a church wedding. You really need to have a long hard think and it sounds so silly to want a charch wedding after all you have said and maybe you need to think about why you want to get married in the first place. I can understand why the priest would not be kean to give you the 28th as you are not church goers and that is fair, not to put himself out for someone who is unlightly to dart on his door again.

I got married in dec 04 and we had a cival wedding as I have major issues with the church AND IT WAS A MARRAGE I WANTED NOT JUST A WEDDING.

I am not trying to be mean, just honest with you.

Wishing yand you future husband all the best.

A bit of wild accusation with no basis no? marriage will be pefect its the bloody church I am worried about.

You need to read the facts. The church is open. I am not being unreasonable.

• Advertisement

so, in case it's crap weather on the day you want people to drive down the evening before, stay an extra night in the hotel at their expense, or, drive down that morning in the crap weather that you've forecast already.
    that makes zero sense, and yes it is a joke. it's you.

In all of the discussion that is what you have a response for? Did you not understand the rest of the argument or is it just that you think this aspect is pivotal? Thanks for the reply though. I will take that on board.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement