Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

A good win in a tough game. Not sure you could say much more about it. Was a nervous last 5 minutes for sure, just seemed we couldn't shake them loose even though we were the better team in the 2nd half (Tyrone didn't score for 32 minutes).

Hard to believe we are 2/9 for the Ulster Final. We're rightfully favourites, but let's take nothing for granted. It's kinda surreal being in this position...long may it continue!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 stethetarf

You have to hand it to Donegal, they have conditioned their lads better in two years than a lot of professional track athletes could hope for!

What kind of training does Jim put them through in Pre Season? Must be epic stuff! Frank Mc Glynn and Leo Mc Loone stand out as two of the best athletes in the country at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭RMDrive

I believe a COME ON DONEGAL may be appropriate at this time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,158 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Rumoured to be the fittest GAA team ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

NIMAN wrote: »
    Rumoured to be the fittest GAA team ever.

well if there not they are not far off it! Some change from one of the unfittest teams a few years ago!!

• Advertisement

And as a result, are going to go very close this year, if not all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

So you're saying I picked a good time to start watching then.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

good luck lads on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭overshoot

RGM wrote: »
    So you're saying I picked a good time to start watching then.
    pretty much, hadnt won a ulster game in 4 years until last year when we won them all to be champions! reached a first AI semi since 02 also.
    lot of people putting us as second favourites for the AI, the rest as third... strange compared to all the years of wondering what donegal would show up the decent side or the hungover one

Never won back-to-back Ulster titles before, so going to make history this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Never won back-to-back Ulster titles before, so going to make history this weekend.

All going well! ;)

I don't think this team will underestimate Down, I just think making history will be on their minds and that will keep them focused.

Wasn't there something last year about being the first team to win it from the preliminary round? This would be the second year in a row doing it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭martyeds

Down are waaaaaay over priced at 4/1 with the bookmakers though. Dont think there will be too much between them at the final whistle.

Where can you purchase tickets without going through the clubs?

na prelim had been done before (although maybe not by us?) but after all the grief spillane game he made a point of winning 4 ulster games gives you respect. winning from the preliminary twice has definately never been done before though.
    not going to be easy by any means though, down are nearly 20 years without a ulster title and there is a lot through their team who will see this as their chance. hoping gallagher wont be too big of a loss in midfield

martyeds wrote: »

Where can you purchase tickets without going through the clubs?

Local SuperValu.

I think that there might have been tickets on sale at MacCumhaill Park this week

http://twitter.com/HMFerry/status/225228216187633665

But

http://twitter.com/HMFerry/status/225356220616278017

You can also try tickets.ie where you can buy online and collect on the day.

The 1/4 odds are a bit distrurbing but in reality, we should be 4 points or so better than Down I'd say. It's hard to see this team losing focus or getting caught out early on. Hard to believe how far we've come in less than 2 years to be in this position.

Local SuperValu.

How does this work as a matter of interest? Do you need to order them or do local SuperValu have stocks for Donegal? What about SuperValu shops outside Donegal?

Donegal team named. McLoone for Gallagher only change from semi-final.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    How does this work as a matter of interest? Do you need to order them or do local SuperValu have stocks for Donegal? What about SuperValu shops outside Donegal?
    pretty sure they have them in stock... thats how i got mine... well one of the lads did the buying but i told em super valu had em and he had them by 12 the next day so doubt there was any ordering in

Well that was impressive.

Down made a contest of it for 35mins, then Donegal simply blew them away. The superior fitness obviously played a big part, but good to see Donegal put plenty of points (and goals) on the board.

Boring, boring Donegal? I don't think so.

Will be hard to beat this year again.

Brilliant win, awesome performance. 1st half very tense and Down hit some bad wides. But after the break, only one team in it. So many good performances, I don't know that anyone had a bad game today.

On we go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Was a great second half performance and one that some of the bigger teams in Croker will find it hard to live with. Its hard to believe that its the same group of guys that were being written off as being anti-footballe only 12 months ago:D

I was trying to watch the game again tonight on the TV3 3player but it doesnt seem to be on it(yet?) even though there are some interviews from after the game available. Do TV3 not put the full game onto the player?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I would put this team as up there with Tyrone in 08, all natural footballers, a tag oft used by Sunday Game analysts when we put in a sporadic performance, in years gone by. I think the team is actually ahead of them in that we don't need to deploy a Sean Cavanagh, roving between midfield, CHF or FF. This team has point scorers all over the pitch.

I don't know if they are genuine AI contenders yet, probably not far off. Playing Cork or Dublin would be fascinating but I want Kerry in the Q/F!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Do TV3 not put the full game onto the player?

Course they don't. This is tv3 we're talking about. Can't trust them to do anything right. Best hope is the highlights on the Sunday game on the rte player.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭sob1467

Great day yesterday again for the county team. Their fitness is unreal. This time though Ulster only seems to be a stepping stone to something greater.

It's crazy that Patrick Mc Brearty now has 2 Ulster medals and not even 19 yet.

There will be tougher tests to come though.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,868 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Murphy was a bit anonymous yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭sob1467

muffler wrote: »

Yeah but Mc Fadden stepped up to the plate with 6 points which is good to see. Also Kavanagh,Walsh, Bradley, McHugh and McElhinney I think got 2 points.

Its good to see not all the scoring is dependent on Murphy like last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

as someone who wasnt a big fan of the way JMG had donegal playing last year i must say im impressed with them this year,so far anyway.after the dublin match last year i was sickened,thought they should have pushed on when the were 2 or 3 points ahead instead they end up getting beat .lads seem to be playing with a lot more believe in themselfs this year,maybe that should be expected but anyway its good to see and long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭dog_pig

muffler wrote: »

I don't think anonymous is the right word.

Even when he has a quiet day his contributions are still important, if you watch over yesterday's game you'll see what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,868 ✭✭✭✭muffler

dog_pig wrote: »
    I don't think anonymous is the right word.

Even when he has a quiet day his contributions are still important, if you watch over yesterday's game you'll see what I mean.
    Seen all I had to see live and he was easily Donegals "worse" forward player (and I use that term loosely) and has been all season.

He's far from the player he was a year ago or more and if it were someone else they could well have found themselves on the bench. I have a feeling that he has still to regain full match fitness or is lacking a bit of confidence or a bit of both maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

we had 11 scorers yesterday.. Durkan and 3 others didnt score

Advertisement