Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Jan 8th UUJ (H)
    Jan 15th Cavan (A)
    Jan 18th Derry (H)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭overshoot

you would have to fancy winning those 3. arguably the 2 tougher games at home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

The under 21 final is on at last this Saturday:

Saturday 3rd December
    Centra Under 21 Football Championship Final
    Chill Chartha vs Naomh Conaill @ 2pm
    MacCumhaills Park

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Carrickman wrote: »
    The under 21 final is on at last this Saturday:

Saturday 3rd December
    Centra Under 21 Football Championship Final
    Chill Chartha vs Naomh Conaill @ 2pm
    MacCumhaills Park

About time too... the appeal by St. Michael's almost pushed this game back to February

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

I hear St Michaels are apealing this again, shamful stuff as it was them who did not field for the Naomh Conaill game they are making no friends by carriying on this childish carry on :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

What happened? Or are there any links where I can read about it?

kilcar finally won the u21 championship 3.09 to 2.10

First competitive game of 2012 is here! Coverage on Highland for anyone like me who isn't there.

Team

P Boyle, witherow, N McGee, McGrath, M Boyle, A Thompson, McGlynn, Gallagher, McManus, G McFadden, Bradley, Walsh, Toye, Griffin, Molloy

Donegal also played Roscommon in a challenge match on Friday night (won 2-12 to 2-11)

Team

MBoyle-McGlynn-EMcGee-JBonner-Waide-McLoone-McKinley-Classon-McElhinney-mclaughlin-Toye-murrin-McBrearty-Murphy-Molloy

Subs used

P Boyle, Declan Walsh, Bradley, Gary McFadden, Antoin McFadden, Griffin, N Gallagher

So anyone at the game today? Nice few scores for Molloy and seems Ryan Bradley was used more as an orthodox forward. I gather Leo McLoone played well for Jordanstown.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    So anyone at the game today? Nice few scores for Molloy and seems Ryan Bradley was used more as an orthodox forward. I gather Leo McLoone played well for Jordanstown.

Molloy had a very good first half. Bradley put in a good hours work. Put in some telling tackles/interceptions in the second half.

Mc Loone looked very impressive at CHB - Was actually a good pairing of him v Bradley. Leo seems to have strenghened up big time from last year. Fantastic player and will no doubt be part of Jims plans this year.

The UUJ Full Forward looked fairly handy and gave Neil Mc Gee plenty of work in the first half. Neil got to grips thereafter. Mc Gourty kicked some nice scores near the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

What was the final score? RTE had 0-11 to 0-9 to UUJ?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    What was the final score? RTE had 0-11 to 0-9 to UUJ?
    That was the final score. Had been nip and tuck all the way during the game but in the final quarter CJ Mc Gourty popped up and scored UUJ's final 4 points! In fairness has was playing further out the field in the first half.

That was the final score. Had been nip and tuck all the way during the game but in the final quarter CJ Mc Gourty popped up and scored UUJ's final 4 points! In fairness has was playing further out the field in the first half.

Many from play for McGourty? He's a quality player, I'd put him top 10 forwards in the country easily, on his day unmarkeable.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Many from play for McGourty? He's a quality player, I'd put him top 10 forwards in the country easily, on his day unmarkeable.

Two from play from CJ-ay! Yea he finished the game in impressive fashion. Def a forward that Antrim will look to keep fit for the summer. Although he and baker bradley have not shared much love. I think he was removed from the Antrim panel in 2010.

Two from play from CJ-ay! Yea he finished the game in impressive fashion. Def a forward that Antrim will look to keep fit for the summer. Although he and baker bradley have not shared much love. I think he was removed from the Antrim panel in 2010.

Was that the reason? Think he writes for the Gaelic Life, came out with more PR friendly reasons!

Anyway, 0-9 would be a bit worrying, early days yet and I'm sure the McKenna Cup will be used to try a few things. Keeping Division 1 status is the first target I suppose but I don't think it is a big an issue as it used to be. There isn't that big a difference in standard.

Was that the reason? Think he writes for the Gaelic Life, came out with more PR friendly reasons!

Anyway, 0-9 would be a bit worrying, early days yet and I'm sure the McKenna Cup will be used to try a few things. Keeping Division 1 status is the first target I suppose but I don't think it is a big an issue as it used to be. There isn't that big a difference in standard.

I think he was seen having a few beers one night during Championship. Are you perhaps referring to Kevin Mc Gourty that writes in Gaelic Life? Diff lad, possibly a brother of CJ.

0-9 was low, we did play with our half forwards sitting very deep. A lot of ball was kicked short into the goalies hands and a few wides would have pushed our scores into double figures had they been converted.

Yea it was no mean feat getting out of division 2 last year when you consider the likes of Kildare, Tyrone and Derry failed to get promoted. Even more impressive when you consider we came from our mauling in Crossmaglen the previous year! We will need to get points on the board from the off in the League. Down will love us coming to down with our solid defensive setup given their more traditional/expansive style:D

I think he was seen having a few beers one night during Championship. Are you perhaps referring to Kevin Mc Gourty that writes in Gaelic Life? Diff lad, possibly a brother of CJ.

Yeah, he left the panel as well?

0-9 was low, we did play with our half forwards sitting very deep. A lot of ball was kicked short into the goalies hands and a few wides would have pushed our scores into double figures had they been converted.

Yea it was no mean feat getting out of division 2 last year when you consider the likes of Kildare, Tyrone and Derry failed to get promoted. Even more impressive when you consider we came from our mauling in Crossmaglen the previous year! We will need to get points on the board from the off in the League. Down will love us coming to down with our solid defensive setup given their more traditional/expansive style:D

That would be a worry, the style needs to develop but it's way too early to judge anything, 1 McKenna Cup game!

Yeah, there's a lot to be said for getting points on the board early, be safe after 4 games and use the rest to experiment.

Down will be an interesting one. Always a certain dismissal from Down at Donegal, hand passing and all that nonsense! It'll be a different measure this time!

Disappointing loss in Newry last night. I guess we were spoiled last year in that defeat was so rare, but the game was there to be won, and Down weren't great. Like a lot of league games last year, we started slowly and only went ahead for the first time when we got the goal in the 2nd half. Expected us to win from there, but some poor wides from Donegal coupled with Down's refusal to give up (and aided by some very soft frees it has to be said) saw them sneak it.

Neil McGee and Paddy McGrath were excellent, which is great to see. Anthony Thompson scored a great point, and Lacey knocked one over as well, although he had a quieter game than normal I thought, but we know what he'll be outstanding when it counts. Neil Gallagher had a steady enough game, and finished the game at full forward, something I've seen before when he plays for Glenswilly. Martin McElhinney was introduced for Conor Classon before half-time, and I thought he played well, which was good to see given all that's gone on lately.

I'm afraid Stephen Griffin missed a big chance to make his mark with Murphy and McFadden out. Not able to win ball, which wasn't great a lot of the time it has to be said. He might get another crack against Laois, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's dropped for Brick (who came on, scored a good point, but also had a very bad wide and missed the free that would have likely given us a draw). Paddy McBrearty was ok, have to remember that he's very young and so there is loads of upside.

Martin Reilly was introduced for David Walsh (who was poor it has to be said) at half-time and showed good energy.

Overall, Donegal probably didn't approach the level of intensity that we saw at times last year. Many players drifted in and out of the game, and fitness is probably an issue at this stage. The 'style' didn't appear any different from what we saw last season - only McBrearty and Griffin were inside the Down half early in the 1st half, and in the 2nd half, when chasing the game, the emphasis was on keeping possession rather than getting the ball up to the forwards quickly.

Early days yet, and a defeat on the road is no disgrace, especially given that we were competitive and could have got a draw. Great to get to a game again.

Result: Donegal 3-8 Cavan 2-6

Great comeback after a very slow start. Congrats.

Just a reminder (only found out myself this morning) the Laois game is live on TG4 this afternoon (2pm).

• Advertisement

Dunno if Jim will be too pleased with TG4 after that ambush. Seemed very staged especially when the camera zoomed out to show Cassidy when Jim was talking.

The media have a lot to answer for to in the way they present situations. TBH it looked like cass wasn't overly comfortable with the situation either. Old news though, door closed, move on. I'd be more worried about where we are at currently. In fairness I have to keep reminding myself that its early February but its vital to be winning all your home games to have any chance of avoiding relegation.

The media have a lot to answer for to in the way they present situations. TBH it looked like cass wasn't overly comfortable with the situation either. Old news though, door closed, move on.

Indeed they do and Cass sure didn't look comfortable. Jim handled it well despite the persistence. Dunno if he'll give TG4 much time for the rest of the year (assuming they show us again, which is a stretch)
    I'd be more worried about where we are at currently. In fairness I have to keep reminding myself that its early February but its vital to be winning all your home games to have any chance of avoiding relegation.

I'm kinda concerned too. Wasn't there yesterday obviously, but from talking to people, was just as bad in the flesh. Assumed the game was over after 50 minutes, but kept watching, and in truth, if we had held our nerve we might have snatched a draw. But, that would have potentially masked a very poor performance. Hard to but the finger on what was the issue, but certainly too many turnovers were a big part of the problem, coupled with some awful passing to the inside forward line. Seems evident as well that the development of our 'style' has not happened yet either.

To put it all in context:
    • We were probably as poor against Down, but they weren't as good as Laois, so we were closer in that game
    • The whole team seemed lethargic, which suggests that the training they are doing currently is taking it's toll and we may not see the benefits for a while
    • We're missing our 2 scoring threats, and of course there is going to be a drop off in performance. But, the worrying thing is that aside from McBrearty (to a certain extent), nobody else has stepped up
    • Cavan (1st game in Championship) lost to Longford at the weekend and Derry (potential 1st round opponents) were hammered by Tyrone at the weekend.
    • We still have 3 home games to come. Cork will be tough, and I certainly don't think we can take anything for granted against Mayo and especially Armagh, but we can still stay up
    • Cork game is not until March 4th - so there is 2 weeks for McFadden to get fit and for the training to start paying dividends

Still early days, and I'd like to think we can't play much worse than we did yesterday. We can't afford to against the likes of Cork, Kerry and Dublin that's for sure.

had to laugh when i saw this, jim's abush by tg4 about cassidy
    403364_10150604258047940_780077939_9229840_777775466_n.jpg
    edit; actually has anyone a link to it, was making something to eat when it happened and missed it grrr!

overshoot wrote:
    edit; actually has anyone a link to it, was making something to eat when it happened and missed it grrr!

It's available to watch from the start on the TG4 Player (on their website). I didn't find it particularly funny, and I don't think Jim or Kevin did either. It was tabloid stuff by TG4.

It's available to watch from the start on the TG4 Player (on their website). I didn't find it particularly funny, and I don't think Jim or Kevin did either. It was tabloid stuff by TG4.
    Agreed on all fronts and to your earlier post. What annoys me is that because of the 'politics' of Venue choice, Donegal will play in 3 seperate home venues. It is very hard to get consistencey and to take advantage of the Home Tie.

Forward play is the big worry. We sat big Neil in FF but yet hit 2 balls into him in the first 15mins. TBH its not a great tactic. Neil is far better in MF. Our movement up front was stagnant, bar Marty Reilly hitting Mc Brearty with a few cross field passes in the first half.

Laois flew out of the blocks this time last year also but were burned out by Championship time. Our heavy legs yesterday is prob down to the intense training we are doing atm. I have do doubt we'll have a better spring in the step in a months time

yea id say its a cringworthy watch, but that picture just makes the whole effort by tg4 look retarded

overshoot wrote: »
    had to laugh when i saw this, jim's abush by tg4 about cassidy
    403364_10150604258047940_780077939_9229840_777775466_n.jpg

Evanne Ni Chuilinn just posted this on her twitter feed as well and the gutter press (the Indo) has managed to devote an article to it today as well.

I'm not usually a fan of media blackouts, but I certainly think that Jim (and the team) would be justified in not giving TG4 any interviews for the rest of the year. It won't draw that much attention, but will at least deprive them of the opportunity to play Fox News.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Evanne Ni Chuilinn just posted this on her twitter feed as well and the gutter press (the Indo) has managed to devote an article to it today as well.

I'm not usually a fan of media blackouts, but I certainly think that Jim (and the team) would be justified in not giving TG4 any interviews for the rest of the year. It won't draw that much attention, but will at least deprive them of the opportunity to play Fox News.

Did Jim and Cass meet last Friday night? What was the outcome?

Its quite normal to do post match interviews and this situation has happened before with Dublin, Kerry, Kilkenny and Cork. I dont see the point in a media blackout or just not doing interviews with TG 4 as this could esculate the situation and end up turning various people against both Manager and Player.

This will I believe be sorted by end of this week if my info is correct

• Advertisement

The interview took place before the game, not after the game. The Indo had their facts wrong, but nothing new there.

TG4 clearly tried to sensationalise the issue further by asking McGuinness the same question 3 times, while allowing the camera to pan out to capture Cassidy shifting uncomfortably.

TG4 have already tried to escalate the situation, so I don't see what is to be gained by allowing them interviews for the rest of the league. There's plenty of other media outlets that will want to speak with the team.

There are clearly enough of the meeja who have an issue with McGuinness/Donegal at this stage, whether they accomodate a marginal broadcaster like TG4 is not going to make much difference to people's perception of the team.

Advertisement