Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault have there heads Screwed on, and so ahead of everyone else (in my opinion)

Options
  • 16-01-2010 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

The best Car ad i've ever seen, Renault really get the message across, History of the car, global warming, C02, safety, and the Future of the Electric car, Well done Renault. With everything now in place There Gonna be a force in the Car Industry.

View ad: Fantastiqueeeeeeeee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MmnV9tAFxE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Have to agree, I seen that on the tv there the other day and was glued to it 'till the end.

Very good advert..not that I like the idea of electric cars but..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Come back when they've moved beyond a computer generated model.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The electric car is completely underdeveloped, and being launched far too soon. Plus, I wouldn't buy anything that required electricity to function from Renault - a company who couldn't even make their keycard system work, let alone a whole electric car.

The ad, while a little inspiring, is annoying. The guy ends up just shouting half way through to get the message, rather than using music, or subtle changes in his voice. On the subject of EV's, here's what I wrote in a recent thread, and why it's such a screw-up of an idea to release anything at the moment, everyone's raving about EV's being the way of the future, and clearly, they're not.
    Some of the developing EV tech is promising, but I still don't see it replacing some form of cumbustion engine - be that hydrogen, or extremely high mpg diesels (We've already got Diesels reaching 75mpg and more, won't be long before they're hitting 100mpg at the expense of performance).

One I read about was a battery tech being trialled, that allowed the battery to be charged to 90% of capacity in about 30 seconds. That might never see production though.

Another was specifically for buses. It was to replace the battery with a capacitor - a bit enormous f*ck off capacitor. The capacitor could then be charged very rapidly at the bus stops when taking on passengers, but would only last about 2 stops distance owing to it's rapid discharge rate. Would be perfect if it charged up every stop though. Same principle could be applied to short haul taxis and taxi ranks.

The best was being developed by GM though, it was an EV, but the EV had a small engine which only had to charge the batteries, not run the drivetrain. It was capabale of ridiculous mpg figures.

The problem with EV's is that everyone's rushing towards it and suggesting ridiculous concepts, swappable battery packs, on street charging, etc. Swappable battery packs won't work because the public isn't patient enough to wait to fill their petrol tank, let alone a 10 minute battery pack swap, and the on street charging wont work because some little scumbag in a hoodie will buy a bolt cutters and have a whale of a time cutting the charging cables.

EV's should be allowed to mature, and undergo testing platforms for feasibility and to recognise weaknesses. The MINI-E project is one BMW have been using, and they've already discovered huge weaknesses in the tech, but have also learned a lot statistically. The next step in that project will be a 1 Series Coupé EV, but that will be based on making corrections they now know need to be made.

Maybe Renault's team will come up with something revolutionary, but I can't see it being more than what we already know, with a fancy body on it to attract the press/public.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pkiernan viewpost.gif
    3 minutes with a battery swap at new "petrol stations".

I can't see any battery swap being 3 mintues. Maybe at Renaults own testing with lighting fast techs, but in the real world with real people , I'd imagine it's more than 10. Plus, we're going to need a whole lot of these stations. Will they then have to have different ramps for different cars with different swappable battery pack architectures? The only standard agreed on so far in EVs has been the charging socket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

cvisser wrote: »
    The best Car ad i've ever seen, Renault really get the message across, History of the car, global warming, C02, safety, and the Future of the Electric car, Well done Renault. With everything now in place There Gonna be a force in the Car Industry.

Good to see the man who won the apprentice doing some good work then:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Thread brought to you by Renault*

*Any Renault vehicles purchased may not work. No comebacks. We told you so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Zero emissions electric car? But where does the electricity used to charge it come from :p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    Zero emissions electric car? But where does the electricity used to charge it come from :p:pac:

Thank you! All the tree hugging hippies seem to forget this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Thank you! All the tree hugging hippies seem to forget this one.

Irrelevant. The power station is going to pump that stuff out anyway. Might as well worry about the CO2 your dishwasher is spewing into the sky from the power it consumes.

The car produces zero emmissions, it doesn't boast about the electricty plany being zero emmissions, so i see nothing wrong with it?

The car produces zero emmissions, it doesn't boast about the electricty plany being zero emmissions, so i see nothing wrong with it?

Well the fact of the matter is that overall, emissions are still being produced in order to allow the vehicle move. Its just that the emisions are no longer coming from the car itself, but a power station now.

EDIT: And this ad would lead people who don't have a great knowledge about cars or new technology in general that overall the car doesn't produce any emissions

• Advertisement

Well the fact of the matter is that overall, emissions are still being produced in order to allow the vehicle move. Its just that the emisions are no longer coming from the car itself, but a power station now.

EDIT: And this ad would lead people who don't have a great knowledge about cars or new technology in general that overall the car doesn't produce any emissions

If you feel that strongly about it report it to the advertising commission :P, if there is such a thing, the car is more emmission friendly than a petrol/deisel car there can be no doubt about that and the car does produce zero emmissions, like i said its the electricity supplier that produces the emmissions not the car! sure when its being built ect there will be emmissions but the car itself still preduces zero emmissions sorry but i duno what your greivence is TBH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Nice ad but you can't buy any of them yet so pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

'Renault' and 'Electric' don't belong in the same sentence unless that sentence also has 'Broken' in it.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    'Renault' and 'Electric' don't belong in the same sentence unless that sentence also has 'Broken' in it.

*yawn*
    typical boards bullshít.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Nice ad but you can't buy any of them yet so pointless.

and its going to be a long time before purchasing an electric car is realistic and feasible in this country... don't really see the big deal about this ad tbh, it's very premature. i know it's a UK ad, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

SV wrote: »
    *yawn*
    typical boards bullshít.

Eh, no! Anyone I know who has ever had a Renault has had electrical problems with them. I'm not saying they're a bad car, I'm saying electrics isn't one of Renault's strong points. Therefore I believe they should try get what they have right before they start trying to develop electric cars.

If you feel that strongly about it report it to the advertising commission :P, if there is such a thing, the car is more emmission friendly than a petrol/deisel car there can be no doubt about that and the car does produce zero emmissions, like i said its the electricity supplier that produces the emmissions not the car! sure when its being built ect there will be emmissions but the car itself still preduces zero emmissions sorry but i duno what your greivence is TBH

I just think its a bit cheeky the way its marketed.

As an overall package (in order to enable the car to move) emissions are produced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

The only thing clever about Renault is their advertising. I have a Clio in at the moment that drains it's battery over night, the hazard lights come on when they feel like it oh and the right indicators come on when you put up the electric window on the drivers door. I don't know wheather to get a priest to exorcise it or an auto electrician.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

*yawn*
    typical boards bullshít.

You go and buy one then... Oh wait it's not actually in production is it?

"Next year Shane732 will introduce a line of zero emissions cars that will refine the worldwide motor industry....."

Decent ad, pity that was probably the entire budget for building the car...

junkyard wrote: »
    The only thing clever about Renault is their advertising. I have a Clio in at the moment that drains it's battery over night, the hazard lights come on when they feel like it oh and the right indicators come on when you put up the electric window on the drivers door. I don't know wheather to get a priest to exorcise it or an auto electrician.

That's obviously the first line of the electric Renault's you've got there. Renault are introducing them without telling people.

Oh one other thing - I wouldn't getting a priest or electrician. I'd drive it into the sea and make sure you get out before it goes in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭kdevitt

That advert makes me want to puke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

The EV is actually being made in conjunction with Nissan. How much Japanese electrics have you in your home? Dont knock it until you've tried it I say.

Yup Renault are years ahead behind other manufactures.

Yawn here's a BMW ad re zero emission cars that was released in hmmm.... 2007. That would put Renault 3 years behind?

The technology is there introducing it in a cost efficient manner is the problem.

Shane732 wrote: »
    You go and buy one then... Oh wait it's not actually in production is it?

"Next year Shane732 will introduce a line of zero emissions cars that will refine the worldwide motor industry....."

Decent ad, pity that was probably the entire budget for building the car...

Did I say I wanted one of them?
    I own a Renault already actually, my second as it happens.

It's perfect, whaddaya know :rolleyes:

I just happen to think it's pathetic(well, it is) the way the *certain types* come on here and slag electrics or anything about Renault when 99% of them don't have a clue what they're on about or have 'heard off someone'

The EV is actually being made in conjunction with Nissan. How much Japanese electrics have you in your home? Dont knock it until you've tried it I say.

Where do I try it? I'll do it tomorrow - oh wait.... *Yawns*

Did I say I wanted one of them?
    I own a Renault already actually, my second as it happens.

It's perfect, whaddaya know :rolleyes:

I think the fact that you went back and bought a second one speaks volumes! :D

How old is it? I wouldn't start boasting about it yet..... :p

I think the fact that you went back and bought a second one speaks volumes! :D

How old is it? I wouldn't start boasting about it yet..... :p

~I think the fact you talk like that without even knowing what kind it is speaks volumes.
    9 years old, as was the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭m-a-i-

I agree to a certain point. IMO I think Clio's are very safe cars however when it breaks down it doesn't do it in halves....I drive a clio and it was out of commision for three weeks all because the alternator was gone and it took an age to find one - I will point out the it is supposedly a "sport" version but I'm not sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Where do I try it? I'll do it tomorrow - oh wait.... *Yawns*

Exactly. What do you base your comments on? It seems to be based on your opinion of Renault (not even knowing that it will be built mostly ny Nissan) and your opinion isnt something I or anyone else on here seems to value much based on your previous comments in this thread.

Wait until you experience the car before you start spouting sh1te.

• Advertisement

I just happen to think it's pathetic(well, it is) the way the *certain types* come on here and slag electrics or anything about Renault when 99% of them don't have a clue what they're on about or have 'heard off someone'

Sorry - to explain myself... A family member bought a new Renault Megane in 2002 kept her for 3 years and did about 50,000 mls over the 3 year period. Never crashed or anything like that...

The car was traded in after a series serious of electrical problems. In a 3 year period the car lost 75% of it's value (I wonder why the residuals are so rubbish?)

Am I the *certain types* you are referring to above? If so the *certain types* would be people who have experienced the problems!

Advertisement