Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play off Weekend!

Options
  • 15-01-2010 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

So after the mixed bag of games of the wildcard round we're into the playoffs proper.

The matchups are:

Arizona Cardinals @ New Orleans Saints

Baltimore Ravens @ Indianapolis Colts

Dallas Cowboys @ Minnesota Vikings

New York Jets @ San Diego Chargers

It should be a good weekend of football,
    Prediction wise, I'm going for:
    Saints
    Colts
    Cowboys
    Chargers

So what do y'all think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

I think the Ravens are the only team that might beat the Colts. I'm going with Indy, but it'll be a close one.

Colts
    Chargers
    Saints
    Vikes

Yeah, all the top seeds IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SlimJ

Food for thought:
    The New York Jets have both the league's number one defense (in terms of points allowed) and number one running game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

SlimJ wrote: »
    Food for thought:
    The New York Jets have both the league's number one defense (in terms of points allowed) and number one running game.

Yup. The old Superbowl recipe.

I'd love to see the Jets do it... but... it's the Jets. They never do it. I have a long-suffering friend who has seen so many false dawns, each one as crushing as the last when it finally fell apart, that I just don't believe in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Cards
    Colts
    Vikes
    Bolts

Same as Lothaar, I'm very concerned about the Ravens, but I'll go with my heart on this one.
    I think the Cards are on a high, and the Saints aren't - could be the difference in a shoot-out.
    A lot of hype about the Cowboys, still a lot to prove. But aside from that, the Vikes are simply a better team.
    San Diego - will need to disimprove drastically (or see Colts/Saints/Vikes improve drastically) not to win the Bowl IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Cardinals(Defense has to show up)
    Colts
    Vikings (Cowboys could take it after their recent form)
    Chargers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Cardinals - The Saints may have lost all their momentum, Cardinals win over the packers will no doubt give them huge confidence.

Ravens - Toughest game to cal IMO, can easily go either way, with Ray Lewis leading the Ravens they are always capable of putting in a huge defensive display , The Colts/Manning have been excellent all year but I just have a sneaking feeling for the Ravens.

Vikings - Dallas defensively have been superb the past 5 games or so. but i would expect the vikings to be able to score. Romo has been hyped beyond belief this season (to Some extent, it has been justified), it is all set up for him to choke!!!:)

Chargers - As much I would like to see the Jets win, I cant see anything but a Chargers win, they have simply being steamrolling teams in the latter half of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Desnowlover

Cards
    Vikes
    Ravens
    Jets
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

All the Cs!

Cards
    Colts
    Cowboys
    Chargers

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Cards to win another shootout
    Ravens to Sensationally Dump out the Colts
    Cowboys Will beat The Vikings
    The Jets To Win Because of Defence and a great Running game

Wishful thinking maybe but heres hoping to some good football

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Cardinals
    Colts
    Cowboys
    Chargers

Agree with Blured that it will be all Cs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I'm going to say..

Cards
    Colts
    Vikings
    and Chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,865 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I know Dallas have been brilliant over the last few weeks but the Viks have been phenomenal at home this season and I have to pick them. I expect to see a lot of Adrian Peterson in this game.

The Chargers will destroy the Jets imo, if you seen the Chargers over the last few weeks they have played games where Vincent Jackson got hardly any looks from Rivers. Revis will be on Jackson all game long, I don't expect to see big production from him but the Jets will not be able to cover all the weapons at Rivers' disposal. Floyd is another really good receiver, I expect to see a lot of Sproles taking receptions out of the backfield too, he has over 500 yards receiving, and thats without even mentioning Antonio Gates who is having a career year with over 1100 yards and 8 tds so far.
    On the other side of the ball, the Jets are going to have to deal with a revitalised Shawn Merriman along with Shaun Phillips, and Kevin Ellison has become one of the great picks from last years draft, he was taking in round 6.
    This should be great fun to watch early as both Ds like to line up in unbalanced blitzing formations, I just think the Chargers OL is one of the best in the league and Rivers does not need much time with all those targets. I expect to see very little early from LT, but if the Chargers get off to a fast start as I expect you will see a lot more from him. I don't expet to see much from Sanchise, Thomas Jones is playing hurt and they are depending a lot on Shonn Greene who had a great game last week but is unreliable, a really up and down performer on what I've seen of him over the season.

I like the Saints and I really do hope they can go all the way after the horrible few years the people of New Orleans have had. They looked unstoppable for most of the year, I think their impressive win over the Patriots was a huge moment for them, like it was proof if that was needed that they were truly an elite team. I think they sort of found it hard to get up for games after that win, they struggled to a couple of wins and then they were through and the foot came off the peddle over the last few weeks.
    The Cards are just incredible, just when you think they are not gonna do it they step it up again. I would never rule out this team and I won't do it here either. This should be a cracking game and the game of the weekend imo.
    I got to go with the Saints but its not a confident prediction. I think the winner of this game makes the Superbowl.

The Ravens vs the Colts is an intriguing matchup. All the Ravens losses this year have been close games, they lost at New England by 6 in a real tough game, a loss they emphatically avenged last week. The lost at Minnesota by 2 in another tough game, they lost to the Colts by 2 also in a game they should have won. They lost twice to the Bengals and once to a resurgent Steelers in Pittsburgh.
    The problem all along with the Ravens is an inate ability to throw away games with silly mistakes. Thats why even down by 21 last week I still fancied the Patriots had a chance.
    The one thing in their favour though is that their D hasn't been called upon nearly as much this season as previous years and they seem to have stepped up their game over the last 7 games or so. That D came into these playoffs healthier than they have been for years.
    The Colts are the Colts, they do what they do and its up to the other team to beat them. I think the Ravens have this game in their own hands, no silly mistakes like throwing the ball into a packed underneath when you are in field goal range and giving up an interception with the game at your mercy, no giving up huge penalty yardage and I think they can do it. Its going to be a super game though.
    I honestly couldn't say which way it will go.
    This one is really hard to call, the Ravens were impressive last week, I think if they play like that again they win again. I think I'll pick them as they are on a revenge mission for the second straight week, and facing that D, I expect Manning to have one of his usual playoff games.

My picks

Chargers(confident prediction)
    Vikings(semi-confident prediction)
    Saints(semi-confident prediction)
    Ravens(a guess really)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Saints

Ravens

Vikings

Chargers

eagle eye wrote: »
    I I expect Manning to have one of his usual playoff games.

Do you mean like when he became the only QB to throw a perfect game in the post-season? Or not?

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Arizona Cardinals @ New Orleans Saints: Saints to win 100 - 98 haha. in other words its gonna be a shootout

Baltimore Ravens @ Indianapolis Colts: hopefully the ravens win, but i can't see it. colts to win by 6

Dallas Cowboys @ Minnesota Vikings: i'm going for the cowboys in this one... just. romo - crayton to win it in OT

New York Jets @ San Diego Chargers: another close one. chargers to win with a fg. the jets defense is good and will keep them in the game but you have to love the matchups of the chargers offense. 4 huge receivers to aim for. revis cant cover all of them.

and with all that said, i have backed all the away teams to cover the spread. here's to another exciting weekend in the playoffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

This weekend is all gonna be about playing experience vs potential rustiness. Who will benefit the most? Teams that are coming into the divisionals with some momentum or teams that have been rested for 2 weeks. And in some cases up to a month if you take the Colts starters into consideration.

Arizona Cardinals @ New Orleans Saints

Potential for another shoot-out. Although after seeing how Rodgers destoryed his D i'm sure Warner might want to run the ball a little more this week and keep Brees on the sidelines. We all know how capable Brees is. And i think it's unlikely that Warner could produce another week like last week. The Saints lost their last 3 games and haven't played in 2 weeks. So they could be a bit rusty or come out completely healed and rested and get back to the form their explosive offense had most of the season. I think i'm gonna have to go with the Saints on this one. Only because their O is better than GB's and i hope the Saints D will be better than GB's D was last week. The Saints have also been good are turnovers in the regular. And that's what it may come down to in this matchup.

Saints

Baltimore Ravens @ Indianapolis Colts

This can't be just a rushing game for the Ravens. Flacco is gonna have to throw the ball a lot more if he wants to beat the Colts. Because Manning will have no problem in that area. Ravens secondary can be exposed and Manning has a lot of options. But a lot of the Colts starters haven't had a game in almost a month. Well a full one anyways. History has shown that resting players doesn't always work. I think this might be my surprise upset this weekend. I'm going to go with the Colts because the Ravens are susceptible to the big plays. But i have a feeling that the Ravens might just sneak it due to the momentum their D has. Also Rice is on fire.

Colts

Dallas Cowboys @ Minnesota Vikings

The Cowboys are playing beyond how they usually play in December and have brought that form into January too. Their D is strong, Romo has been playing great and Jones has been able to pick up the slack left by the injured Barber. A lot points towards a Cowboys victory. Especially if they can put pressure on Favre. But this game is in the Metrodome where the Vikes have been brilliant this year and remain undefeated. Favre had a great regular season and if you give him time he will pick out his men. Yes they had a bad December but i reckon they will come out strong. If they put points on the board first and get the crowd behind them. I think that is where Romo will start to make mistakes. As much as i want to say Cowboys based on recent performance. I think the Vikings will edge it in a close game.

Vikings

New York Jets @ San Diego Chargers

While the Jets have a strong D and good running game i just don't think they have enough to beat an on fire San Diego team. I think the Chargers just have too many options and there isn't enough of Revis to cover them all. Not to mention the size of the Chargers receivers. Most well over the 6ft mark. Benson showed last week that the Jets can be beaten with the rush. Tomlinson and Sproles might look to exploit that. San Diego don't have the best record in January. But i think this is their year.

Chargers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Arizona Cardinals @ New Orleans Saints - Saints unless Cardinals can find their misplaced D

Baltimore Ravens @ Indianapolis Colts - Colts

Dallas Cowboys @ Minnesota Vikings - Vikes, Favre and the Metrodome factor to help the Vikes maintain an unbeaten home season.

New York Jets @ San Diego Chargers - Jets, I feel it in my bones, great D and a running game to edge it.......shame it's not being played in the cold :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Cards
    Colts
    Vikings
    Jets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Anyone know of a pub in town showing the saints tomorrow eve?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Noxin wrote: »

Woolshed most likely first game only though. Place will be closed for the 2nd one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Noxin wrote: »

Yeah the Wooldshed will be showing the Saints game since that's the earlier one.

http://www.woolshedbaa.com/NFL.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I'll go:

Cardinals, Colts, Cowboys, Chargers.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see all 4 games go the other way! Should be a really good weekend of games.... only 3 more games after this week :mad: (plus the pro bowl:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Anything could (& usually does) happen in these type of games !! Lets hope for at least one humdinger.
    Saints (it'll be close tho)
    Colts (ditto, will rest=rust for the Colts!!)
    Vikings (by +14pts !!)
    Chargers (will they get wobbly knees, ie. that winning streak must come to an end eeeeek)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Fully expecting the Cardinal's D to step it up this week.

Cardinals, Colts, Cowboys, Chargers to win! 4 C's!

The excitement's building now, lads.

Saints game first - nice warmup for the main event :D

Got the beers in this morning, so expect plenty of sh!te-talking from me :D

GO COLTS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Can't wait for the Cardinals and Saints game tonight, another high scoring game please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Ravens Colts - Had a look at the regular season game on nfl.com yesterday and Ravens could easily have won that game, they had a missed chip shot, Ray Lewis missing a tackle on the one yard line to concede a TD, the Colts putting up a goal line stand in the 4th quarter... The Baltimore running game will keep Manning off the field I think, but Flacco has to contribute more than last week. On the other hand the Ravens are not going to get a 24 point headstart in this one and if it's a close game going into the 4th you'd have to fancy Manning on this year's form but I've a gut feeling that this will be a shock! Not hard to imagine Indy just coming out and blitzing Baltimore and if they do get more than a one score lead that's it for the Ravens.

Chargers Jets - Everyone keeps going on about how the Jets are a great matchup for the Chargers but this is a team that's on a long unbeaten run and I can't see it ending tonight.

Saints Cards - Can't wait for this one but I think Brees will win it out, can't see Warner being that good 2 weeks in a row.

Cowboys Vikings - Could have flipped a coin but just went with my gut feeling instead, Dallas has a lot of momentum behind them and I think they'll keep on rolling...

yerayeah wrote: »
    Chargers Jets - Everyone keeps going on about how the Jets are a great matchup for the Chargers but this is a team that's on a long unbeaten run and I can't see it ending tonight.
    No matter what happens, it definitely won't end tonight. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Can anybody answer this question.

the bookies have priced up the cardinals match +7 and -7 for the saints yet there is no option for exactly 7.

what happens if the saints win by 7 nobody wins?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

robbie1977 wrote: »
    Can anybody answer this question.

the bookies have priced up the cardinals match +7 and -7 for the saints yet there is no option for exactly 7.

what happens if the saints win by 7 nobody wins?:confused:

Generally a push and depending on the bookie you get your money back.

What website are you looking at? They should have outright win options also.

Advertisement