Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ironman Commeth.....slowly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭griffin100

Week 22
    Monday
    Run 10 miles. This was to make up for missing my long run over the weekend. Pace was slow, around 8.45 per mile.

Tuesday
    Bike 30kms. Didn't have much time so did the first 10km flat out; the middle 10km were hill repeats - up and down the same hill a few times which has a very steep rise on one side and a long drag back up the other side - all out of the saddle for added effect. Great fun altogether. 10km home flat out again.

Wednesday
    Run 6 miles - not a great run, again I cut it short due to funny feel in right leg. My knee felt like it was 'fluid' (cant explain it any better) and felt very weak as if it were going to give way on every stride. Feeling went after a couple of miles but then came back. Today my leg feels sore with pins and needles like feelings in my shin and thigh. Hope to god i've not damaged something. Part of me thinks that its just a natural reaction to the training volume. Certainly this week I've felt quite tired with little enthusiasm for training (hence the low numbers).

Still undecided on Athy. Weather looks a bit mixed. If its dry I'll probabaly do it, as I have the Sunday and bank holiday Monday to do my long bike and run. This week was a taper week in Finks plan anyway building up to a HIM so I have a small excuse to drop back on volume a bit.

Thursday / Friday
    Nothing.

Saturday
    TriAthy OD - 1,500m / 40kms / 10km (+7 km)

Sunday
    Nothing

Week 22 Totals
    Swim 1,500m
    Bike 70kms
    Run 25 miles

What can I say. The worst week of training so far. This week I just felt sick of it all - sick of thinking about, talking about and training for triathlons (not just IM). Had to drag myself out of the bed to do Athy as this had been a B goal for me this year of breaking 2.30hrs. The tougher than last year swim and the increase in run distance put pay to that but then so did my lack of recent training. Its crunch time now. I've got 5 weeks before my taper starts and I'm gonna have to put some work in, otherwise there's no point. I dont want to go to IM and struggle the whole way around knowing that I could be a lot better. One of the lads in the club asked me on Saturday did I regret starting the IM thing, you know I couldn't answer him. My wife remains unwavering in her support though, she says if I dont do the thing after spending approx. €1k on entry, travel and acomadation she'll kill me herself.

Triathy OD
    With little enthusiasm I dragged myself the long way from home to Athy for the race (eeehhhh, 25 minute drive). At least the weather was good and this made the long wait until wave 9 easier (as did the site of a female competitor stripping off to put on her trisuit in the middle of the park we were waiting in). I had hoped to do a sub 2.30hrs with approx. 30 minute swim / 70 minute bike / 45 minute run (bearing in mind that the run was short last year) with a generous 5 minutes left for transitions if needed. This would compare to my 31.23 / 78.06 / 50.10 / T1+2 5.08 - Total 2.44.50 of 2009.

Into the warm murky water of the river for a warm up. I was intent on getting close to two club mates who are much faster swimmers and drafting off them for as long as possible. Didn't quite work out that way as I lost them immediately after hooter went off in the melee. It was probably the roughest swim start I've ever been in - I got kicked and punched a few times. I tried to stick close to the bank where the current should be less but after a face full of weeds I gave up and moved out mid channel. I found myself drifting off course continiously despite regular sighting. I also kept allowing myself to get boxed in by other swimmers. After the turnaround I swum straight into the back of a 'swimmer' who was walking down the middle of the channel adjacent to the rope - I nearly broke my finger stroking into his back. Again sighting was an issue on the downward leg and I was more than happy to get out in a poor 31.35. My lack of swimming in the last few weeks really came back to haunt me and I felt like I struggelled over the entire 1,500m.

T1 took 2.22 :o Dont know where the time went as I thought I'd gone through pretty quickly. The sub 2.30hr was looking over all ready.

Onto the bike and head down and push. Not as much drafting as last year on lap 1 but by lap 2 it had begun to get congested and there was some drafting - but no sign of the peletons that were present last year. I had one guy on his first lap overtake me when I was on my second and beckon for me to come through with his elbow - kn*bhead. He was intent on getting a train going. We swapped places a few times over the last 15kms or so and trying to get away from him helped my speed I think. Other than him and a guy on a very new looking TT bike no one else drafted me. The winner passed me at one stage and I swear I've never seen anyone travelling that fast on a bike (he averaged over 40kph:eek:). Coming into T2 I could see that my bike time was over my hoped for 70 minutes, ending up at 72.17. Definitely no 2.30hrs now so wanted to concentrate on doing a solid run.

T2 took 2.36:eek: There must be some sort of black hole in Athy that targets only me making my transitions so slow. Again it didn't feel that slow.

Out onto the run and I just maintained a steady pace. I passed quite a few and concentrated on trying to overtake the person in front of me every time. Run surface was poor enough (I would not liked to have run that course on a very wet day) but having done this race last year I was expecting this. Probably the best part of the run was that I felt comfortable the whole way round on the run, unlike last year when I was pretty much crying for the finish line after 1km. Completed the run in 48.48 for a total time just under 2.38.

I was way way off my hoped for 2.30hrs. Its hard to find any high points. My swim was the same time as last year but this year was a tougher course I think. My bike came down by 6 minutes but that could be due to having a TT bike this year as opposed to a basic road bike last year (I really wanted to do a sub 70 minute having gone close in London last year). My run came down by almost a minute and a half so given the longer course this year and how comformatble I felt this is some sort of a plus. Grasping at straws really, I should have been faster.

Within 10 minutes of the end of the race I did another 7kms run to give 17kms for the day. I had hoped to do another 10kms but I boinked in a big way - Ironman me arse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Good report and great time!

I'm not sure Fink's plan will make you any faster for an Oly tri (although you still managed to remove a chunk of time from last year)...he's all about the IM and that is where your hard work will be rewarded.

As for the leisurely transitions - it is the one thing I'm looking forward to at IM:)

As for the leisurely transitions - it is the one thing I'm looking forward to at IMsmile.gif
    A few hang sangers anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Conor20

griffin100 wrote: »
    A few hang sangers anyone?

I've been experimenting with flapjacks and jam&brownbread sangers for the last two weeks. After a while of trying before hand, I came to the conclusion that there was no way I was going to survive on just gels and isotonic stuff alone. The flap jacks have worked pretty well. I'll try bringing three or four on the Wicklow 200 and if they work well, they're into the plan for Switzerland.

Grandma's old FlapJack recipe: http://www.flapjackrecipe.com/healthy/index.html .

Conor.

• Advertisement

I've been experimenting with flapjacks and jam&brownbread sangers for the last two weeks. After a while of trying before hand, I came to the conclusion that there was no way I was going to survive on just gels and isotonic stuff alone. The flap jacks have worked pretty well. I'll try bringing three or four on the Wicklow 200 and if they work well, they're into the plan for Switzerland.

Grandma's old FlapJack recipe: http://www.flapjackrecipe.com/healthy/index.html .

I seem to be ok at lasting up to 6 hrs on gels and liquids alone thus far. I have to be really careful if eating solids on the bike or run, I find it hard to swallow anything when training and have to chew for ages before it'll go down. I had a near miss a few weeks ago with an errant peanut from a power bar on the bike :D

Week 23
    Monday / Tuesday
    Nothing. I had a really bad chesty cough after Athy so gave training a miss on Monday and Tuesday.

Wednesday
    Run 10 miles / 1.90hrs (@1hr insert 10 min Z4).
    Still had the cough but was pacing the floors at home so went out for a run to try the chest. Ended up doing 10 miles. Coughing up large chuncks of gunk but no worse for the run. Even managed the 10 minute Z4 bit ok.

Thursday
    Swim 3,800m (1.29hrs)
    Still with the bad chest went for a swim. Was unsure as to how to structure the session so thought I'd warm up and see how it went. Felt really comfortable so kept going and did the full distance. Was only a minute or two faster than my last 3.8km but I felt really comfortable for the whole time so really happy with that. I need to get my hours in the pool up over the next 5-6 weeks if I have any chance of getting that time down a bit. Its bang on my predicted / hoped for time so any improvement is a bonus.

Friday
    Run 8.5 miles / 1.15hrs (@10 mins insert (6min Z4/2 min jog) x 3)
    Chest still bad but cant afford not to train at this stage. I'm starting to think about the big mouthful of water I swallowed in Athy and woundering if I now have leptospirosis:D

Starting to think logistics for the big day now. IMUK hav changed the bike route yet again (the organisation of this race is renowned for being a bit crap). Now T1 and T2 are in different locations and I have to book a time on shuttle buses between venues - I dont need that hassle on race day.

Plan of action is to drive / ferry / drive to Bolton on Thursday. Spend a day or two relaxing, do a swim at the venue, eat lots. On Saturday evening the Mrs is flying over for race day. Sunday is race day and thankfully my hotel is on the finish line so I can stagger to my bedroom before I have to worry about picking up the bike and other gear. Monday I plan to drive home and Mrs will fly. Just to be safe I've booked her in on the return ferry ticket in case I cant drive:) She's under pressue not to spend too much time away from home as the kids will be with her sister hence her flying in late and out early.

Thinking about race gear. Plan at this stage is to swim with trisuit under wetsuit. For bike put full cycling gear on over trisuit - I did this for HIM and it was really comfortable. I'll wear armwarmers for snot wiping and just in case any of the portaloos on the bike course run out of loo paper :P The jersey pockets in my club gear are really big so I plan to put around 7-8 packs of shot blocks and maybe a power bar or two in here. For drinks I have a choice. I have two bottles on the underseat cage, one on the frame and I have a bottle that fits between the aerobars. What I was thinking I could do was use the aero bottle, the frame bottle and one of the underseat bottles for drinks, and use the second underseat bottle to hold extra gels, spare tubes, CO2, etc. I also want to try and fit a mini pump somewhere as I dont want to depend on CO2 cylinders. I dont think I'll get away with less than 3 drinks bottles on the bike. The plan is not to have to depend on the special needs bag when on the bike - maybe stick a spare tube or two in?

For the run I'll wear the trisuit and carry a few shot blocks in the pockets. May need to sort out a fuel belt as the aid stations are 3 miles apart but I hope not.

Any advice on above appreciated.

Final thing is to decide whether or not to order my finishers jersey. I'm not worried about ordering it before the race (I've no choice in this) but because its IMUK it has two big feck off union jack flags on the sleeves. Could I wear something like that in public?:D Needs some carful consideration.

Friday Contd.
    Bike 50kms / 1.35hrs

Saturday
    Run 15 miles / 2.15hrs
    My first 'big' run and my longest ever. Took it nice and easy trying to stick to 9 min miles. Slowed down a bit towards the end in the heat but felt comfortable and could have gone further. I took a gel at 5 and 10 miles and this seemed to really help. Lost a nipple plaster at 10 miles so the last 5 miles were a bit sore:D

Sunday
    Bike 125kms / 5hrs
    My first proper club ride of the year in glorious sunshine and no rain. I was supposed to do the W200 but decided not to as my road bike needs some work and I didn't fancy it on a TT bikes. The lads from the club were heading out for a 100km spin - carlow - bagnestown - borris - mount leinster - bunclody and home. Was nice to be able to shelter in a gorup for a change as this definitely makes a big difference to enery usage. We came back over mount leinster from the Borris side which was torture. I remember seeing a sign that said 6kms to the 9 stones, and it being uphill all the way from there. One of the lads got off to walk a particularly steep bit and I was barely able to pass him in the saddle (damn TT gearing). Dont know how useful these sorts of rides are for IM training but the social aspect is great. I wouldn't normally stop to repair others bikes, get some food, have a rest for regrouping, etc so whilst I was out for 5.30hrs I'd say I was in the saddle for around 5hrs. After everyone went home I did another 25kms on my own:rolleyes:

Run 3.5miles
    Brick session off the long bike. Wanted to do 5 miles but I was under pressure to get home as I'd been out of the house for almost 6hrs apart from a quick change into running gear so the Mrs was keen to see me home:D

Week 23 Totals
    Swim 3,800m
    Bike 175kms
    Run 37 miles

As usual swim way way to low, I'm struggling to get to the pool at the minute. Bike looks a bit low but that includes a 5hr ride so happy with that. Delighted with 37 miles of running, my best week by a mile so far.

Its all getting very real now:)

One of the lads got off to walk a particularly steep bit and I was barely able to pass him in the saddle (damn TT gearing).

Up Mt. Leinster on a TT rig? Respect:)

Up Mt. Leinster on a TT rig? Respectsmile.gif

39/25 - so not a hardcore TT rig - still bloody hard though.

• Advertisement

Thinking about race gear. Plan at this stage is to swim with trisuit under wetsuit. For bike put full cycling gear on over trisuit - I did this for HIM and it was really comfortable. I'll wear armwarmers for snot wiping and just in case any of the portaloos on the bike course run out of loo paper :P The jersey pockets in my club gear are really big so I plan to put around 7-8 packs of shot blocks and maybe a power bar or two in here. For drinks I have a choice. I have two bottles on the underseat cage, one on the frame and I have a bottle that fits between the aerobars. What I was thinking I could do was use the aero bottle, the frame bottle and one of the underseat bottles for drinks, and use the second underseat bottle to hold extra gels, spare tubes, CO2, etc. I also want to try and fit a mini pump somewhere as I dont want to depend on CO2 cylinders. I dont think I'll get away with less than 3 drinks bottles on the bike. The plan is not to have to depend on the special needs bag when on the bike - maybe stick a spare tube or two in?

For the run I'll wear the trisuit and carry a few shot blocks in the pockets. May need to sort out a fuel belt as the aid stations are 3 miles apart but I hope not.

Any advice on above appreciated.

Final thing is to decide whether or not to order my finishers jersey. I'm not worried about ordering it before the race (I've no choice in this) but because its IMUK it has two big feck off union jack flags on the sleeves. Could I wear something like that in public?:D Needs some carful consideration.

On the kit side, I'm actually looking forward to treating these as 3 separate events:
    Swim: Jammers + Wet suit
    Bike: Bib shorts + cycling top (decent pockets!) + under top if anyway cold
    Run: standard marathon kit - shorts + undershorts + under top

Bike nutrition will be Nature Valley Bars + bananas + 2 bottles with Nuun electrolyte tabs.
    Will pick up more water for the Nuun tabs along the way.

For the run, I'll take my normal 6:eek: gels and scoff whatever else I can on the way.

As for the finishers jersey, go for it. IM is a major life achievement...celebrate it.

If I end up getting an IM tat, it may well go on my forehead:)

Week 25
    Its been a few days, haven't had a chance to update log, work and home life mad busy at the minute.

Monday
    Day off.

Tuesday
    Swim 2,500m (500 wu / 300-200-100 x 3 off 2.15 / 2.20 / 2.25 per 100m / 200 cd). I really like this combination of sets, makes me work fairly hard.

Wednesday
    Bike 54kms / 1.45hrs

Thursday
    Run 8.5 miles / 1hr10 (@ 10 mins insert 6 min Z4 / 2 min jog) x 3
    Swim 2,000m - straight swim 45mins. Did the first 1,000m 'hard' and came in at 21.40 - good for me.

Friday
    Run 10 miles / 1.30hrs @ 1hr insert 10 mins Z4

Saturday
    Bike 54kms / 1.45hrs. I had intedned to do a swim this morning but when I woke up I couldn't raise my arm over shoulder height - a delayed response to the 'hard' 1,000m on Thursday? Either way ended up doing a bike instead. I had planned to do a long 15 miles run in the evening but a combination of the evening heat and the fact that my youngest was 2 on Sunday meant I had lots of party prepartions to do so gave it a miss.

Sunday
    Bike 146kms / 4.5hrs - long bike. Cycled into Carlow and on out to Kilkenny. Not a particularly hard / hilly route but lots of undulations to keep me on my toes. After reading some of the stuff on IM bike spits on another thread I concentrated on keeping my HR as low as possible whilst still keeping a good pace. I averaged 29-30kph for the 146kms, including two comfort stops and a longer stop ata garage to buy more liquids. My HR averaged 72%:eek: and didn't rise over 80% for the entire ride. Very very happy with that. Legs still had loads in them at the end (I could happily have done a 180kms) and when I got off to run it felt grand.

Run 5 miles @ 8.30 pace. Done as a brick session off the long bike and legs felt great, keeping the HR and effort down on the bike has a big effect. Had planned to run a bit longer but a certain 2 year old was waiting to start her party so was under pressure to get home.

Week 24 Totals
    Swim 4,550m as usual not great, would have been better if my shoulder hadn't been in agony on Saturday causing me to miss a planned session. Oh well....keep thinking quality reather than quantity.
    Bike 254kms my biggest bike week yet and very happy with my long ride
    Run 23.5 miles missed my long run so low total for the week.

6 weeks left to IM day, of which last three weeks is a taper. Feeling ok about the swim and bike but nervous enough about the run having never done a marathon. I hope to do a fair bit of swimming in the last few weeks, more for comfort on the day than any great increase in my time. Will also get the bike up to 6hrs and run up to 3hrs as per Fink. Starting to worry about mech problems on the bike on the day. Need to work out how to deal with a broken spoke or chain - I have no idea for either and it would be just my luck if I DNF'ed due to one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Conor20

Starting to worry about mech problems on the bike on the day. Need to work out how to deal with a broken spoke or chain - I have no idea for either and it would be just my luck if I DNF'ed due to one of these.

Just get the bike servived a week or two before the race. The odds of these happening are very low so it's not worth worrying about. I don't think many people would bring eqiupment to deal with these things with them in the race.

Conor.

Just get the bike servived a week or two before the race. The odds of these happening are very low so it's not worth worrying about. I don't think many people would bring eqiupment to deal with these things with them in the race.
    You'd think that, but last year a club mate broke a chain in Athlone and a couple of weeks ago on a club ride one of the lads broke a spoke.....sods law, if I dont know how to fix it it'll break.

Week 25
    This is week 25, not last week as stated above. Its getting hard to keep up now. That said it was a fairly forgetable week.......

Monday / Tuesday
    Off. Monday was planned, Tuesday wasn't. Real life got in the way of IM on Tuesday when I took the day off work to accompany my 6 yo on her school trip. We didn't get back until after 8pm and I had a club meeting at 9pm so my planned swim session went out the window.

Wednesday
    Run 7.5 miles / 1 hr ((@ 10 mins insert 6 min Z4 / 2 min jog) x 4)
    Bike 54kms / 1.40

Thursday
    Nothing. On the way home from work a van in front of me dropped a lump of wood of a trailer, which I drove oevr and ripped the sump out of my car:mad: Fcuker sped off so I couldn't get his details. Spent the evening sorting out a tow so no training. Mightly p*ssed off.

Friday
    Run 10 miles / 90 minutes
    Swim 2,500m straight swim

Saturday
    Run 17 miles / 2.36hrs. My longes run to date. Felt pretty ok, although my legs started to feel a bit numb at around 15 miles. Had a bananna at 5 miles and a gel at 5 and 10 miles which kept me going. Was very very hot.

Sunday
    Bike 135kms / 5hrs15mins.
    Thats the last time I try a long bike ride less than twelve hours after my long run. Went out with a couple of club mates and within a few minutes I knew it was going to be a tough day. My legs were in bits, especially when going uphill when I would lose all speed. The two lads pretty much dragged me around a very windy and hilly route. Only for them I'd be still out there now. Still, I managed to do the last 50kms on my own despite the pain. I seemed to get a second wind around 4hrs which helped. Slow average speed though.

Week 25 Totals
    Swim 2,500m
    Bike 189kms
    Run 34.5 miles

Not a great week totals wise but very happy with the 17 mile run and 5hr plus bike ride. I start back evening swim sessions with the club this week (I cant do morning ones) so my plan is to get a good 30k-40k metres in over the next 5 weeks to bring my swimming back to where it was earlier in the summer before I started to miss a lot of sessions.

2 weeks of full training plus 3 weeks taper to go:eek:

Week 26
    Monday
    Swim 1,000m - my first club session this year. It was short enough due to space constraints in the pool but was a nice mix of drills and sprints. Enjoyed it and had a good chat with the instructor afterwards about my technique and she gave me a couple of tips, especially on how poor my catch is.

Tuesday
    Run 5 miles (x 8.30 miles). I was absolutely dead on this run, I had no energy whatsoever. Dont know why.

Wednesday
    Run 10 miles / 90 mins (@ 1hr insert 12 mins Z4)

Thursday
    Swim 3,100m - 1,000 wu / 100 x 5 off 2.10 / 200 x 3 off 2.30 / 1,000 cd
    Delighted with this session, to be doing 100m repeats off 2.10 is a first for me. I did the first 3 repeats in 1.53-55. I incorporated the tips from the instructor from Monday and my technique felt better and I felt faster. Now that said I wore tri shorts in the pool for the first time as opposed to the baggy shorts I had been wearing up to now, so the increase in 'speed' could be due to this rather than any change in my technique:D

Friday
    Swim 3,000 straight swim - 1.05hrs. Again concentrated on technique (and wore the tri shorts). Did my first 400m in sub 8 minutes; 1,000 in 20.30 and averaged 2.10 per 100m over the 3,000m. I couldn't do the full 3,800m due to time pressure but I'll be delighted if I can hold that pace come race day.

Saturday
    Run 18.5 miles / 2hrs45mins / average 82% HR. A long long time to be on your feet. Felt surprisingly good. Had a gel at 10 and 15 miles and drank some Hi5 4:1 during the run. I'm testing it out as I might use it at IM (I like the idea of being able to mix my own drinks rather than depending on the organises to mix drinks for me at aid stations). Started off with my patented 9 min / mile IM shuffle and held it for the entire time. Had some minor GI issues that I managed to overcome (not a day to be gamblilng on the fart lottery) -not sure if it was due to Hi5 drink or the take away from the night before. Delighted anyway to do a run this long.

Sunday
    Those paying close attention will notice that there was no bike this week. No injuries, no mech issues - I just never got the chance to get out on the bike. I had planned to do my long ride today but when I got up it was lashing rain and blowing a gale (not the weather for deep rim wheels). I decided to postpone the ride until later and took the kids to the cinema instead (they haven't seen their Dad on a sunday morning for a long time). By the time we got home from cinema, had lunch, watched TDF, the day was gone. Ok I should have headed out for at least a couple of hours but the wind was still brutal and having watched a local road race on the way home from the cinema where lads who are much fitter than me were crawling along I took the easy route and persuaded myself it would be too dangerous to go out on a TT bike with deep rims. To have a 0 cycling week 5 weeks out from IM is probablay not a good idea - oh well, need to make up for it this week.

Week 26
    Swim 7,100m - much better than the last few weeks. Very happy with this.
    Bike 0km - sub 6hr IM bike here I come :D
    Run 33.5 miles - I had hoped to break 40 miles this week but still happy with the 18+ miles long run.

I've only one more week of proper training to do before the three week taper. Fink has this week down as a 20hr week and I intend to get as close to that as I can. I'm hoping to try and get close to the full 180kms with my long ride which Fink has down for 6 hrs and to hit 20 miles on my long run. The fear is beginning.......

Good to see you are building the run...knowing you have done those sorts of distances will be a big help in the dark moments!

Good to see you are building the run...knowing you have done those sorts of distances will be a big help in the dark moments!
    Dark moments....what dark moments......it'll just be like a long training session (keep repeating).

Week 27
    This is the last week of proper training before a 3 week taper. 3 weeks sounds a little long so I might push on a bit into next week and leave a 2.5 week taper, we'll see how it goes.

Monday
    Swim 1,000m - second session of the year in the pool with the club and the coach. She gave me a hard time about dropping my shoulders and thus my elbows on the catch and pull phase. A mix of sprints and drills. Its amazing to see guys who were drowning after 20m last year swimming with near perfect form having never had the chance to develop bad habits due to continious coaching for the last year - I hate them:P

Tuesday
    Swim 3,800m - 1.21.07:eek: . My 1,000 splits were 20.10 / 21.10 / 21.40 / 18 mins last 800m. Thats 8 minutes faster than my fastest ever 3,800m. I'm in shock. I concentrated on keeping my shoulders up as per the coaches advice the previous night and on trying to ensure a good catch and pull as per last week's tips. I'm assumng the improvement is not all down to wearing tight shorts :D and an improvement in technique has something to do with it? I averaged 2.01 / 100m for the first 1,000m - for me thats unreal. I looked at my watch at 100m and it said 1.48 - something has clicked. It'll be interesting to see if I can repeat that time in the pool and more importantly in IM.

Wednesday
    Run 7 miles / 1 hr (@10 mins insert 6 min Z4 / 2 min jog x (3)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done on the swim. Timing those improvements nicley too :D You have lots of work done on the bike and run so it looks good so far, the big ride this week will settle your mind on that. You seem to be in good shape so best of luck with a 20hr week :eek: nearly there....

Wednesday Part 2
    Bike 54kms / 1.40hrs. Did the first 50km at TT pace despite headwinds. Came in at 93 minutes for 50km (I'd love to break 90 mins for 50km and 3hrs for 100km). Really felt it in my legs the next day so a timely reminder not to overcook the bike on the big day.

Thursday
    Run 10 miles / 90 minutes. Tough run, probably one of the hardest I've done to date. It was cold, lashing rain and miserable out. My legs still hurt from the hard bike the night before, I had a head cold and I couldn't keep my HR down. It was a real grind to stay out until I had done the 10 miles but I'm glad I did.

Trying to decide on my long ride on Sunday, should I
    (a) do 180kms / 6 hrs on a relatively flat route on my own practicing keeping my HR as low as possible or
    (b) do a group ride with the club who are planning on doing some serious hill climbing, and then when everyone else has gone home keep going until I hit the 6hrs.

Not sure which would be most beneficial at this stage.

• Advertisement

Friday
    Swim 2,100m. 1,000wu / 100 x 5 off 2.15 / 200 x 3 off 2.30. Felt very tired so cut session short. Started off the 100's off 2.05 but after three of these it all fell apart. I've noticed that if I do a full IM swim in the week then it slows me down in the pool for a few days afterwards.

This is it..Week 27..The BIG WEEKEND. Since Day 1 of training I've been coming back to the page in Finks book covering week 27 and the long bike and run required before the taper statrs. 3hr run......6hr bike / 1hr run brick session.....Last January this weekend was giving me nightmares...could I do it....

Saturday
    Run 20 miles / 3.05hrs (9.30 min / mile) / 81% HR
    Saturday morning and it was p!ssing down. I had no option as I had a BBQ to go to in the afternoon and was under the bosses orders not to let training get in the way. Despite the torrential rain off I went. I decided to cover the HRM with the sleeve of my rain jacket and run on feel. First 7 miles it just rained and rained and rained. Every piece of clothing I was wearing was saturated. My runners and socks were soaking. After 7 miles it stopped raining but the roads were flooded in parts so no respite for the feet. I did contemplate changing my shoes and socks but that would have been a waste of time. Ran at a slow and steady pace. At 10 and 15 miles took a gel and drank some Hi5. Between miles 13 and 15 legs felt a bit stiff, then loosened up. Whilst I was glad to finish when I did I could have gone on if I had to. I averaged 9.30 mile / min which is a bit slow but I'll take it. HR stayed in an acceptable range as well. Afterwards minor chaffing on feet from wet shoes and socks but no blisters thankfully. 3hr run down....7hr brick session to follow.

Sunday
    Bike 178kms / 6.18hrs
    Run 5 miles / 45 mins
    Had to make a decision, do I do a club ride over some serious climbs or do I do a long solo effort over an easier course. Given that my legs were feeling the effects of the 20 mile run I didn't think I'd be able for the hills so took the 'easier' option. Steady pace, keeping the HR low. I held an average speed of 30kph until about 120kms when I had to top and fill the bottles at a garage. Just after this my hip, which has been problem free for weeks, flared up again. Serious pain. The last two hours were an exercise in pain management....repeat after me...its called a fcuking ironman for a reason....its called a fcuking ironman for a reason....its called a fcuking ironman for a reason....this chant helped somewhat:D Started to slow after about 140kms, mostly due to my hip but general fatigue also. At this stage hills were difficult, which is a worry as the big feck off hill on IMUK comes around for the third time at roughly this stage. Food / energy wise I was ok. Close to home at approx. 6hrs I stopped again to celebrate my first 6hr ride with a can of coke. 178kms in 6.18 gives an average speed of approx. 28kph, including two 4-5 minute stops. Average HR 72% - happy days.
    Off the bike, change of kit, and out onto the road. First mile with rubber legs, settelled after that. Nice and steady 9 min / mile with ok HR. Legs felt tired but were holding up well. Rather than do 7 miles / 1hr as per the plan I ended it at 5 miles / 45mins - I'd been out of the house for 7hrs and my kids were starting to forget what I looked like:D

So I did it, 3 hr run and a 7hr brick session over two days. I feel surprisingly ok today, apart from some very stiff quads.

Did I make the 20hr week - no. I got to about 18hrs, not too shabby.

Week 27 Totals
    Swim 6,900m - not a big total but a good IM swim this week
    Bike 232kms - not my biggest bike week but a full IM bike (well almost)
    Run 42 miles - :eek: a big big week for me. I've been looking at Hal Higdons novice marathon plan and my training has been close to his plan over the last few weeks, although I dont think he means a 6hr bike ride when he talks about cross training.

So how do I compare to what Fink wants? I started off trying to stick to his competitive plan but that went out of the window, although I did use it as the basis for my training. Looking at the figures from Finks plans I've fallen well short of the competitive plan, and short of all of the targets for the intermediate plan but I'm above all of the targets for the just finish programme:pac:. I'd like to think I'm past the 'just finish' stage, although time will tell.

A long time ago I gave a hoped for time of sub 13hrs - 1.30 swim / 6.30 bike / 4.30 run / 0.30 transitions. Have I changed my mind? I reckon my swim might be a few minutes quicker now, perhaps 1.25-1.30 if I'm lucky. As for the bike, I've held 6hr pace for rides up to about 4.30hrs, but IMUK is a hilly course. Last year a sub 6hr ride would get you in the top 200 riders (definitely an area I dont belong in:D). I'll go with the prediction of a 6.15-6.45hr bike. Lastly the marathon, its difficult to predict here as I've never run a full marathon. In my last HIM I did the run in around 2.10 but I had seriously overcooked it on the bike. I'll go with the 4.30-5hr prediction. So last prediction,
    Swim 1.25 - 1.30hrs
    Bike 6.15 - 6.45hrs
    Run 4.30 - 5hrs
    Transitions 30 mins
    Total 12.40hrs - 13.45hrs.....time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Well done on the weekend, I thought I did a decent training session but nothing like that. Fair play on the bike time, I am in bits trying to hold 25k for 90 so 28k for 180 is very impressive to me.

Whats the run profile like, is it flat??

Whats the run profile like, is it flat??

It has its moments. There's a couple of hills but nothing too bad as far as I can see. I'll be walking any hill that looks tough anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done on that week Griffin100. Nice to clock that 7 hour brick for confidence. You on taper now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

That's a pretty hefty brick session, well done!

You on taper now?

Yeah, although still looking at 12hrs/week or so for the next two weeks and then race week.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Iron Enthusiast

Hi Griffin,
    Well done on a mammoth training weekend!

I've had some similar problems with my hip-flexor recently and found that stretching it twice a day made a big difference, I'm just one week behind you on the DF plan so next weekend i've my longest Brick & run so i was very interested to hear how you got on. (I 've been keeping a blog as well http://oneyeartoironman.wordpress.com ).

You've put in alot of hard work so enjoy the taper, it sounds like you in great shape for the big day!:pac:

IE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

f'ucking hell griff, a 7 hour training session, boy do i feel bad for sitting around on my ass and stuffing my face while watching the tour all day yesterday. 6 and a bit hours riding on your own is some going! great stuff esp after a 20miler the day before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metal dog

. I've been looking at Hal Higdons novice marathon plan and my training has been close to his plan over the last few weeks, although I dont think he means a 6hr bike ride when he talks about cross training.

very funny.

great bit of training there. well done

• Advertisement

Great stuff Griffin...monster weekend.

You are cooking nicely for Bolton and will be resplendent in the Union Jack finishers top in no time:)

Enjoy the taper and congrats on a great training journey!

Advertisement