Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ironman Commeth.....slowly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭griffin100

Thursdsay
    Bike 30 kms/1 hr (@15mins insert 5 mins Z4 / 3 mins spin) x 4. Nice to finally get an evening ride in - infinitely more enjoyable than a tubo session.

Friday
    Run 7 miles / 1hr (@45 mins insert 8 mins Z4)

Swim 2,300 m (500 wu / 200 x 5 / 100 x 5 / 300 cd) - absolutely fecked during and after this.

Saturday
    Run 10 miles / 90 mins. Longest run yet. Concentrated on trying to stay slow as as close to Z1 as possible. Averaged 8.45 per mile and felt like I had loads left in the legs at the end.

Sunday
    Bike 125kms / 4.03mins
    Run 3.5 miles / 30 mins

The first 'big one' - done as a brick session. This is the longest solo ride without a break I think I've ever done. 4hrs on the aerobars without any issues and an average speed of around 30-31kmh. Onto the run with legs that wouldn't move in a straight line for a few minutes, but once I got the feeling in my feet and quads back moved along nicely. Leg muscles a little sore today but nothing major which I'm delighted, especially given the 'heavy' weekend.

Week 15 Totals
    Swim 5,300m - still a little on the low side - I'm getting cocky now as my 1.30hr target time is well within reach and the previous panic is lessening. Need to sort that out.

Bike 155kms / 5hrs. Again a little low on time in the saddle but happy with the progression to a 4hr / 125kms ride. Is a 6hr IM bike a possibility;)?

Run 4hrs / 28.5 miles - happy with this. My biggest run week yet.

In reality I'm actually closer to Fink's intermediate plan as opposed to his competitive plan. Its the little brick sessions and 100rpm sessions on the bike that I'm missing - I just dont have the time to squeeze them in. Hopefully it wont have too big an impact on my IM day. Oh well, as Fink says, the longer you're out there, the better value for money you get:)

Now the bad news......I 'm having serious pain from my right leg. This first made an appearance a few weeks ago but I thought it had went away. It doesn't stop me training, in fact swimming helps, but I know that after a long session I'm gonna have some pain which is not good - pain = damage of some sort. I'm pretty sure that its not ITBS - as I can run without any pain. I'm also pretty sure that the bike is the cause, as the pain is worst after a long bike ride. The pain comes on when I try and turn my foot or leg inward or if I allow my leg to hold its own weight when out from my body e.g. when getting out of the car. Its quite a severe pain at times. I'm planning to get to a physio this week but I'm afraid he's gonna say no training for a couple of weeks or something worse :(

Week 16
    Monday
    Swim 2,000m
    Rest of week - nothing

Week 16 Totals
    Swim 2,000m
    Bike 0
    Run 0

Oh dear oh dear.....what a week.

I swam on Monday and made an appointment to see the physio about my leg for Thursday. I decided not to do any cycling or running until I had seen him and gotten his advice - I decided that missing a couple of days was better than worsening a potential injury.

According to the physio the issue is not with my leg but is my hip and is caused by my long cycles. What is happening is that my hip is 'stiffening' because of the high number of repitions in a single plane of motion when on the bike. When I get off the bike after a long cycle and try and turn my hip in a different plane e.g. when turning my leg inwards, I get some pain. This would explain why the pain doesn't stop me cycling or running - its only when I deviate from these movements that I get pain. The good news is that it shoudn't stop me training and that some simple stretching exercises every day will help keep it loose so that it is getting exercised in every plane of movement.

This was great news, and I was all set to get going again when I had a visit from the tummy bug monster. I wont elaborate, but put it like this, I ate more last week than I have in a long time, and I still lost weight:p

Now according to Fink I should be reconsidering my plans as I've lost essentially a full week's training. In reality that's not possible, and as I'm not gunning for a podium finish I think I can slot back into the training programme carefully. The good news was that the missed week was a bit of a step back week so the damage is not as high as it could have been. It could have been worse.

Here's hoping for a better week 17.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metal dog

I am sure it is frustrating but good news that it is sorted and under control griffin100

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey a week out of the greater scheme of things is not so bad, good news that you are still good to go though

Week 17
    Monday
    Swim 2,700m (500 wu / (300-200-100) x 2 / 1,000 cd). Second set of repeats tough. Some stiffness in shoulders - to be expected as I hadn't swam in a week.

Tuesday
    Run 5 miles / 40 mins (@ 10 mins insert 3 x 6 min z4 / 2 min jog.) Was supposed to do an hour but couldn't face it. Had a bit of a head cold and body felt tired.

Wednesday
    Bike 40kms / 1.20hrs. Fink had looked for some Z4 intervals in this session but my head cold was still there so I just concentrated on getting some time on the bike in. Good solid 30kph.

Thursday
    Run 9 miles / 1.15hrs (@60 mins insert 10 mins Z4). Nice pre run work on a very hot morning. The 10 minute Z4 bit at the end nearly killed me. Did my last two miles in 14 mins.

Hip started to niggle about 20kms into the bike on wednesday and was quite sore this morning. The morning run helped ease it out and I plan to swim tonight so that should make it beter again. Still concerned that the pain is coming on so early in the ride despite my hip stretches. Plan is to keep stretching, do another short ride and a long (100kms) ride this week and if there is no improvement switch over to my road bike next week to see if this makes a difference (my TT bike will be back in the shop having a creaking noise looked at next week anyway). If the pain subsides on the road bike then I think a TT bike refit in somewhere like IrishFit is called for. It it doesn't then I dont know what I'll do. Despite what the physio says I still cant help thinking that a lot of pain is not a good thing. I have visions of a hip replacement in my 40's:D

• Advertisement

Friday
    Bike 1hr turbo (@10mins insert 5 min Z4 / 3 min spin) x 6 :eek: 30 mins of Z4 work, thing is i'm now able to get the HR up to Z4 on the turbo so all good.

Saturday
    Swim 3,800m :) The biggie, my first IM distance swim. Came in at 1.30.40. Thats bang on my hoped for IM time, or at least what I hoped for 17 weeks ago. TBH I was a little dissapointed with the time, I though I might sneak a 1.27-28. First 1,000m in 22.10 / second 1,000m in 25.10:mad: / third 1,000m in 24 mins / last 800m in 19.20. It started well but I completely died in the second 1,000m and never really recovered. I think its due to the fact that I've been missing a lot of swims recently, in fact this was only my third swim in two weeks. A good wake up call to get my lardy ass back in the pool.

Run 11 miles / 1.35. My longest run to date. Kept it nice and steady in the middle of Z2. It lashed rain the whole time I was out and was really enjoyable.

Sunday
    Bike 100kms / 3.27hrs
    Run 5 miles / 50 mins:eek:
    Did this as a brick session. Bike was slighty slow, averaging under 30kph; I did the first 50kms averaging 30kph but then the weather got worse and the wind and rain came and I slowed right down. I did the 100kms on two banannas and some lucozade energy as I had no gels; starting the run I had meant to get another bananna, forgot, with the result that I had a spectacular boink at just over three miles. Up to this point I had been doing 8.30 miles. I ended up walking / crawling the last 1.5 miles home (I'm still counting them for the ART challange:)). I could feel the boink coming on from about two miles, I should have headed home but I wanted to get a 5 miler in so my weekly run mileage would hit 30 miles:rolleyes:. My own fault, hope this doesn't happen in Sperrin on Saturday.

Week 17 Totals
    Swim 6,500m - only two sessions this week, I need to try and get the third one in. At least I've done the 'biggie' now and know I can do it.
    Bile 5hrs50mins (140kms road / 1hr turbo)
    Run 4hrs20mins (30 miles) - very happy with this, my biggest run week ever I think.

Pretty certain now that my hip problems are down to my TT bike fit, I'll need to have it reviewed...more triathlon cost......

This will be an easy week. Doing the Sperrin HIM on Saturday so will be following Finks plan for the HIM build up. I'm not too bothered by the swim or bike distances at this stage but I'm hoping that I can manage the run as I haven't run 13 miles since last year. Also hoping that the water is not too cold.......

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Iron Enthusiast

Great work Griffin!

Your 100k bike in 2:27hrs is 40kph! and your 11 mile run in 1:15hrs is a pace of 6:50 a mile in Z2!

I suddenly feel very very slow - must train harder!:pac:

Keep up the good work, really enjoying the blog!

IE:)

Ooops, wrong figures, the 100kms bike was 3.27 not 2.27 (oh to be that fast) and the run was 1.35 not 1.15. Corrected that now (correct totals were used in weekly roundup and ART challange). Thanks for that IE.

No worries, I had a mini heart attack when I saw your times and was going to PM you looking for advice:pac:

Looks like your training is coming along really well, I echo your thoughts about Sperrin, hoping the water isn't too baltic as well although I swam yesterday in Dublin bay and it felt ok after a few minute of intial pain!:)

I echo your thoughts about Sperrin, hoping the water isn't too baltic as well although I swam yesterday in Dublin bay and it felt ok after a few minute of intial pain!smile.gif

I think it takes longer for lakes to warm up than the sea during the spring / summer, so I'm expecting the worst. It might make me swim faster. I was thinking of getting a neoprene swim hat but I always think that wearing one of these is verging on using a swim aid. Also my wife will well and truly kill me if I buy MORE triathlon kit:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

griffin100 wrote: »
    I think it takes longer for lakes to warm up than the sea during the spring / summer, so I'm expecting the worst. It might make me swim faster. I was thinking of getting a neoprene swim hat but I always think that wearing one of these is verging on using a swim aid. Also my wife will well and truly kill me if I buy MORE triathlon kit:)

The mere fact that the hard-nosed nordies are even giving the "swim too cold" option, tells me all I need to know...

Lol. I know what you mean. I was talking to a couple of lads and they swear by the neoprene hats and yesterday when I was in the water my head was the main place I felt the cold. Reckon i'll pick up one this week as it might make the difference between a regular painful experience and a really painful experience (not too much choice there unfortunately:pac:)

I've just seen the new bike route for IMUK....I may have to reassess my predicted bike time into the 7hr+ zone...

5712_2010_04_10_IMUK_Tail_Loop_Tail_1.jpg

Total Distance: 80.33 km
    Total Percentage of time climbing: 27.40 %
    Total Distance spent climbing: 14.24 km

I like the look of the hill at 22kms:eek:

Week 18
    Fink called for an OD race this week but I'd entered the Sperrin HIM - getting ahead of myself a bit here. I tool the taper a little too seriously this week with a grand total of 1,200m swim and 15kms bike done.

Sperrin Half
    Drove up north on Friday. Registered out by the swim location and went back to my hotel to carb load. They had a really nice restaurent and ended up loading up on some nice fillet steak and shiraz (only one glass:D). Breakfast on Saturday morning didn't start till after 8 so i got some wierd looks as I walked past reception on Friday night with a bag of cornflakes, milk, banannas and energy drinks.

Saturday morning and up nice and early to force feed myself cornflakes and banannas (the food of champions). Out to the lake to get set up. Nice dry day with a bit of a breeze. Weather forcast was for a dry sunny breezy day so so far so good. There was a really nice relaxed atmosphere which was great as it helped me stay calm. Just before the start I along with lots of others realised we had racked the bikes in T2 when T1 was actually 500m up the road. After reracking the bike I had a feeling I'd forgotten something - I hate rushing before a race start. I had forgotten something - I hadn't lubed up the collar of my wetsuit so I ended up with serious friction burns on the back of my neck after the swim:rolleyes:.

Lots of wetsuit clad triathlete standing on the edge of the lake daring each other to get in. Eventually people started to enter the water. I opted for the hard man option and didn't bother with a neprene hat - I wore a cloth hat with two latex hats over this. Got in for my 'warm up' - it actually wasn't too bad. For once I was relaxed about a long swim - despite the fact I couldn't see the last marker buoy as my glasses were back on my bike. Went back to T1, found Izoards bike but couldn't find him, he was probable at my bike looking for me:D.

Into the water and off we went. After a few minutes I realised I couldn't feel my feet - wiggeled my toes to try and get the blood flowing again when I got foot cramp - bad idea. I managed to draft close to another swimmer which was good - I've wanted to practise this for IM. As we got to the turnaround point I realised I couldn't feel my hands any more - I had great difficutly in keeping my fingers together when pulling back though the water. Sighting on the way back in was tough with the sun but eventually got to the finish where thankfully there were a few bodies to help us out of the water - it was only when I stood up that I realised how cold I was - I had no feeling in my legs or arms. A quick look at the watch said 33-34 mins - either a short course or a super fast swim.

Into T1 which was a sea of grown men crying with cold and cramp. I had planned on wearing a tri suit with a cycling top for the bike but I'd chickened out of this as I didn't think the very thin padding on my tri suit would adequately protect my bits on a 90km bike ride so I did something I've never even tried in training before (a big risk) - I put some bib shorts on over my tri suit. This ended up being a good choice as it was extremely comfortable for the full 90kms. It also ended up being a life saver as the road surface was really rough in parts and god knows what way I'd be walking today if I had been depending on my tri suit padding for protection........It took me 6 minutes to get my wetsuit off, put on my cycling short, top shoes and socks - thats how cold my hands were. There was one lad beside me on the ground crying with cramp whilst a medic tried to stretch out his legs - not nice.

Out onto bike course. Plan was to wait approx. 15 mins and then have a gel every 35 minutes and to drink approx. 750mls every hour. I did this and it worked great with no drop off in energy levels at all during the bike (I replaced the last gel before the run with an energy bar). The first few kms into Cookstown were all downhill and really fast. I normally descent like a 4 year old girl but even I managed to get up to vomit inducing speed. Into Cookstown and out onto the dual carraigeway where the headwind appeared. It was a bit of a slog into the headwind. I avoided the hard shoulder due to the amount of debris and glass here so had to cycle close to the heavy traffic. Course was testy with some short sharp hills in and around the couple of villages we passed through and some traffic congestion. Marshalling was a bit light on the bike course but luckily for me I didn't miss the turn that some riders did (I only copped it when the bike in front of me took the turn). Just before we completed the lap we turned off the main road and headed over the hills back to transition - this was tough - some leg sapping hills here. I did the first lap in 1.25. Out onto lap 2. This time the speed had dropped. The legs still felt good but I'm sure that the wind had picked up. It was a bit of a slog at times - the last 10km over the hills were a real killer. My HRM didn't work properly on the bike so had to gauge effort. Back into transition with 1.33-34 second lap and a 2.59ish bike - quite a drop off in pace on the second lap. On lap 1 I passed two riders and was caught by three; on lap 2 I was caught by another three riders but I caught one rider. One rider passed me tucked in about an inch off the back end of a tractor and trailer - whats the point in cheating like this? Can you honestly say you've done a HIM when you draft like this? I could see him behind this tractor for quite a while and it really pi**ed me off.

Into T2 and legs felt good. Bib shorts and cycling top off. Temperature had started to rise so stuck on the baseball cap - an inspired decision. I've epic tri suit sun burn today and god only knows what my bald head would look like today if I hadn't worn a cap:)

I felt good on the run but I couldn't get my HR down (I'd gotten the HRM to work again). No matter how slow I ran I was in the Z4-Z3 zone. I had a choice, I could run faster and ignore the HRM, or I could slow down and try and keep the HR down. I did the latter and despite running 9min+ miles I couldn't get the HR down below 165bpm. The run was a 4 lap out and back route. During the run I managed to get a bananna and half a gel in but after that even looking at food made me want to puke. The run course was nice and scenic but tough enough with a lot of the outward route up hill. I was ok up until around 17kms when I had to walk for 100m or so. Then with around 2kms left to do I got a really bad stitch and some minor calve cramps. This slowed me down and I reckon I walked around 1km in total. I finished the run in about 2.07 which is total pants - 1 mile per minute slower than I had been hoping for.

Overall time was 5.46. I has hoped for a 5.30 excluding transitions and got a 5.38ish. This sounds ok but my crap run was made up for somewhat by the potentially short swim. When I did the Eireman HIM last year my run was actually 2 minutes quicker, its depressing to think that I've made no progress since then. The only straw I can grasp at is I did the HIM 4 weeks earlier than Fink required so perhaps my run training is not quite at the right standard for a HIM yet.

Despite the costs (around £200 all in) I'm glad I did the race as it has brought me back down to earth again. I had started to get blase about the IM distances so this was a good wake up call - I need to do some serious work over the next 10 weeks.

(sorry about the long post, its a slow day in work and I'm killing time until I can eat again:))

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

thats great going Griffin

I'm sure the water temperature took an awful lot out of you and the other competitors so i wouldnt be that worried about the timings

Good report griffin!

The drafting thing baffles me...two boys steamed past me joined at the wheel and it was everywhere at Eireman...does anyone ever get busted for drafting?

I'm assuming the M-Dot events have enough draft-busters, as it seems impossible to enforce at smaller races.

Week 18 Totals
    Swim 3,100m
    Bike 105kms
    Run 21kms

Week 19
    Monday
    Swim 2,400m - 400m x 6 off 10 minutes. This is the first time I've done distances off the clock. Fink's swim sessions specifcy rest periods rather than swimming off the clock. Came in between 8.30 and 9.15 for the 400's so I should be able to start lowering the intervals.

Tuesday
    Off

Wednesday
    Bike 40kms / 1.20hrs.

Still mulling over the HIM results but feeling a bit better about my run now. Relative to the rest of the (small) field it was my best time. I was in the top 33% when normally its my bike that's my best relative performance. Surprised at how quick I recovered from Saturday, I was back training on Monday. Eireman HIM crooked me for a week last year.

Looking back on Saturay....could I have done another swim lap - yep; could I have done another 2 laps on the bike - I dont know, I'm sure I would have been able for at least another lap; could I have run another 21kms; run - no; run/walk - possibly. So its not all bad. There are still 11 weeks to go which include some serious weeks between weeks 20-27. If I can stick close to the plan for these weeks I'll be in an ok position I think. Gonna have to start magicing some extra training time from somewhere - I forsee a lot of early mornings and late nights ahead.

Thursday
    Bike 20kms / 40 minutes
    Run 5miles / 45 minutes
    Done as a brick session.

Friday
    Swim 3,000m - 1,000m x 3. Did the first two 1k's in 22.30ish, and the last one in 25mins - need to work on swim fitness!!

Saturday
    Bike 120kms / 4 hrs (90kms @ 2.53 / 100kms @ 3.14 / 120kms @ 3.56). Nice ride averaging slightly over 30kph.
    Run 5 miles / 45 mins
    Done as a long brick session. No HRM as I broke the strap so the run was done on feel (if I can't sing out loud comfortably then I'm running too fast:D). On my last long brick I died. This time I had fueled up properly on the bike and had no problems.

Sunday
    Run 13.5 miles / 2.04hrs. I hadn't run much this week so decided to push on from the 1.30hrs asked for by Fink and try and get a half marathomn distance in. Legs felt very heavy after Saturdays long brick but I took it easy (again on feel) and was very comfortable the whole time, averaging just over 9 minute miles. Felt I had a few more miles left in the legs at the end. This is the longest distance I have ever run. Up to this my longest run ever in training was about 12 miles and I had only ever run the half distance four times - all in races (Connemara, Wexford, Eireman (2009) and last week in Sperrin).

Week 19 Totals
    Swim 5,400 - still not great, but I'm having difficulty getting to the pool more than twice a week.
    Bike 180kms - would have liked to hit 200kms for the week but happy to get a 4hr ride in.
    Run 23.5 miles - not a great run week distance wise but happy with the 13mile+ run.

Only one more week left in this part of the plan before I move into the intensive final 10 weeks where training will peak at over 20hrs before tapering off rapidly (well, that's the theory anyway - where I'm gonna get 20hrs a week to train has yet to be worked out).

Valentia Tri this weekend. Looking forward to this as I've always wanted to do this race and also the family are coming down and we are staying the weekend in Kerry. Weather even looks like its going to be ok.

Good work at the weekend there Griffin100. You are in good shape :)

I hear the weather is looking good for Saturday also thankfully!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Conor20

How'd you get on in Velentia Griffen?

It turned out the weather was rather pleasent after all.

Conor.

• Advertisement

Week 20
    This is the last week of my build phase.

Monday - nothing. Used the excuse I was tapering for Valentia:rolleyes:

Tuesday
    Run 6 miles / 55 mins (@ 10 mins insert 4.5mins Z4 / 1.30 min jog- x 4)

Wednesday
    Bike 20kms / 40 mins

Thursday
    Run 7.5 miles / 60 mins. Did this after spending 5 hrs driving to Kerry. One of the most enjoyable runs I've ever done. Weather was scorching and I ran around Waterville, out the beach, along the seafront - what an evening. No HRM but I pushed hard the whole hour so assuming a 7.5 mile run.

Friday
    Bike 16kms / 30 mins. Big mistake. Went for a short spin to 'loosen' the legs before the next days race and ended up hammering up and down some serious hills outside Waterville. Was out of the saddle on every climb enjoying my endless energy and ended up averaging around 34kph despite the hilly course for approx. 30 mins. This would prove to be an unwise move - see race report below.

Saturday
    Swim 750m / Bike 20kms / Run 5km - Valentia SD Tri

Sunday
    Nothing - the long drive back from Keryy. I had planned to do a long run when I got home but the temperature was just too high. At 8pm it was still 24-25 degrees so I decided to wait until next day and do a long brick session.

Monday
    Ok I know Monday really should be part of Week 21 but I'm including it in week 20 as this was when I did my long run and bike for that week.
    Bike 100kms / 3.10mins
    Run 10 miles / 1.35 mins
    Now thats what I call a brick session - I was dead at the end. Took it easy on the bike and maintained a nice average speed. Weather was nice and cool so wasn't too concerned. After a lesurely 8min transition moved out for the run. Then the temperature started to rise. I had planned to do a 13 mile run to simulate a HIM brick session but I had to stop after 10 miles due to the heat. I was drinking like a horse and still couldn't get rid of my thirst. I started to worry that despite all of the liquids and salts I was taking in I was going to dehydrate, so I ended the run early. Still not a bad brick session though. Afterwards I weighted myself and I had lost 2kg during the session. During the session I had drank approx. 4l / 4kg of liquids, so overall I had lost / sweated out about 6 litres / kgs :eek: I hope Bolton in August is a bit cooler than that.

Week 20 Totals
    Swim 750m - oh dear. At least it was a PB swim :p
    Bike 155kms
    Run 27 miles

Other than the swim not too bad for a race week. Very happy with my long brick and my seeming inprovement in runing long distances off the bike. Just 10 weeks to go now, nerves are starting to make an appearance.

Valentia Island Tri Race Report
    Took the long drive to Kerry last Thursday, along with the Mrs and three kids. We ended up spending 4 days in a beautiful part of the country with stonking weather. Kids had a ball on empty beaches, loved the car ferry to Valentia, loved the race. Triathlon has improved its standing in my wifes eyes again.

Thursday night I did a run to loosen the muscles after the 5 hours in the car and really enjoyed it. Friday I rebuilt the bike and decided to do a quick spin. I ended up doing only 16kms or so but hammerred them out with lots of out of the saddle climbing (watching too much Giro at the minute:D).

Saturday and along came the race. What a day. Great weather, great crowds, great atmosphere.

Off on the ferry to the mainland for the swim back. I was in wave 2. False start in wave 1 when the RTE idiot decided to test the hooter. One swimmer was off like a shot and had to be chased to be brought back (I just knew it was Interested:D). Wave 2's turn and it was very tight with 250 swimmers pushed back into a very small space. When the hooter went lots of flailing arms and legs (I'm pretty sure I punched a girl in the side of the head - sorry). I had started about two rows back and when the hooter went the 3 swimmers in front of me who were obviosuly together started to breast stroke :mad: - the front row of a mass swim start is not the place to do this. I hadn't the heart to barge through them so I ended up having to swing out wide to go around them. Before the race I had been talking with someone who seemed to know the swim and had advised swimming for the 'cleavage' - this worked a treat as I rarely had to sight during the whole swim and in fact never had to look for a marker buoy. Swim was nice, not too lumpy, but I did have another swimmer keep veering into me and pushing me left until I accelerated past him. Every so often I had to remind myself to up the pace as this was a SD not an IM swim. I did the swim in just under 14.30 which is a PB by miles for a sea swim for me so delighted with that.

Out onto the bike and this is when it started to get tough. Roads were so deseretd as to be closed. My hard hill ride of the previous night came back to haunt me when I went to accelerate up the first hill and I had no power at all. The next 5kms or so where a blur of pain and searching for another gear that wasn't there (I had on the 11-23 cassette - oh I missed my 25 ring). Only about 6 riders passed me but I had trouble keeping up with riders in front. At one stage I struggled to get past fat blike on mountain bike which was a low point :D Eventually the hills ended and I started to settle into a good pace and passed dozens of ridres from the first wave. Side winds were strong and some of the fast bits were a bit hairy - I didn't envy the 1 or 2 riders with disc wheels. Did the bike in just under 38 mins which is crraappp. Should have been at least 2-3 minutes faster.

Off on the run whihc was quite a simple affair - simply run uphill for 2.5kms and back down again. In the ever increasing heat this was tough. Still, not many passed me on the run and I ended up just under 23 mins, which isn't too far off what I'd expect on a flat 5km off the bike so very happy with that.

Overall happy enough. Swim and run were good. Bike was poor but that was my own fault for over exerting myself the night before. I hadn't really given any though to where I should finish in the race as I've never done a NS race before. In the end I was 1.18 and ended up in the 170's. Even if I had done the bike 3 minutes quicker I wouldn't have made up that may places so I have to be happy enough overall. Irrespective of the result it was a great day and it was nice to have the kids on hand to see daddy race - although they were more interested in the Valentia Farm Ice Cream on sale down near transition. Well done to all involved, the marshals and especially the locals.

Good report and well done!

Must add it to the list of tris-to-do.
    swimming for the 'cleavage'

Can certainly happen in the pool, but that's got to be a first for a sea swim:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Well Done and Nice report.

So I take it you won't be doing any cycling on hills the night before the IM!
    Could you expalin the swimming for the cleavage please, I have no idea what that means!
    You were very chivalrous not to swim over/through the breast strokers. I don't know would I be able to restrain myself in the same situation.

There were basically 2 nice round symmetrical hills on the Island with the target slipway on the horizon right between them ;) Seems like all the eager male swimmers went for it as the shortest route LOL

MCOS has it spot on. There were two nicely shaped hills behind the island that resembelled a favoured part of the human body that I never have difficulty sighting off:D.

WARNING: do not try this technique in the pool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

There were basically 2 nice round symmetrical hills on the Island with the target slipway on the horizon right between them ;) Seems like all the eager male swimmers went for it as the shortest route LOL

Excellent, LOL for sure. 'Head for the hills' just took on a new meaning for me.
    MCOS has it spot on. There were two nicely shaped hills behind the island that resembelled a favoured part of the human body that I never have difficulty sighting off:D.

WARNING: do not try this technique in the pool

Cheers man, I'm sure they made sighting very easy and natural!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Izoard wrote: »
    Good report griffin!

The drafting thing baffles me...two boys steamed past me joined at the wheel and it was everywhere at Eireman...does anyone ever get busted for drafting?

I'm assuming the M-Dot events have enough draft-busters, as it seems impossible to enforce at smaller races.

They have draft marshals out on course on motor bikes that give you the beep if they think your drafting, i seen in austria the germans and austrians cycling in bunches drafting like crazy and then they d break up when they got the beep, the pros are the only ones who really cant get away with it

Week 21
    Monday
    See Week 20:)

Tuesday
    Bike 55kms / 1.45hrs

Wednesday
    Swim 3,800m - striaght IM swim in 1.30.18. Only my second full IM distance swim and no time improvement on my first one 4 weeks previous but then again I didn't expect to see an improvement given how little swimming I've done. In fact I was just glad to finish the distance. I want to try and get a few more of these swims in before race day.

Thursday
    Run 5 miles / 45 mins. Right leg / knee felt a bit funny with a small amount of pain so decided to end the run early.

Friday
    Swim 2,500m - 500 wu / (300-200-100) x 3 / 200 cd. Did the 1st set of repeats off 2.15/100; the second off 2.20 per 100; and the third off 2.25/100. Averaged 2.05 per 100 on the first reapeat; 2.10 on the second; and 2.15 on the third. Happy with that as it was quite a tough session and had me wrecked at the end.

Saturday
    Nothing. Had planned to do a long run on Saturday evening but my leg still felt a bit funny from Thursday and tbh I was really tired.

Sunday
    Bike 145kms / 4.45hrs
    Run 5 miles / 45 mins
    Jaysus that was a long time to spend on the bike, my longest ride ever - 35kms off a full IM ride. Was a tough enough day. At 70kms my hip started to really hurt (I definitely need to get a new bike fit done). From 90-120kms was into a headwind which was torture. Still managed to average 30kph and an average HR of 79%. This was my first long ride where the HRM didn't loose signal so it gave lots of useful information. For the first 45mins my HR is difficult to keep down, after this is settles. When climbing it obviouly goes up but for the most part except on very steep climbs I dont exceed my lactate threshold HR. Now based on my limited knowledge of these things, if I can average a Z2 HR and can keep my peak HR's below my LT as much as possible it bodes well for the run. At around 4hrs my body started to hurt. My neck and back got sore, my arms wanted to come off the tri bars and I started to find it difficult to keep up cadence on even slight rises without dropping a gear or getting out of the saddle. Off the bike I ran 5 miles @ 8.30 pace - dont know how, normally I'm 9 minute pace of the long rides. I think it was just my bodys relief at getting upright again.

Week 21 Totals
    Swim 6,300m - better this week, but cant seem to get a third swim session in.
    Bike 200kms
    Run 19 miles - a bit low but I missed my long run on Saturday (I hope to try and do it tonight)

I'm down to do Triathy OD next Saturday but I'm undecided as to whether to bother or not. This was my 'B' race for this year with the aim to get under 2.30hrs for the OD (I did it in 2.44 last year). From an IM perspective I'd probable get more benefit from another long run and bike. I'll decide in a day or so, if the weather looks like its going to be warm and dry then I might do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metal dog

I'm down to do Triathy OD next Saturday but I'm undecided as to whether to bother or not. This was my 'B' race for this year with the aim to get under 2.30hrs for the OD (I did it in 2.44 last year). From an IM perspective I'd probable get more benefit from another long run and bike. I'll decide in a day or so, if the weather looks like its going to be warm and dry then I might do it.

In the same boat myself, probably more benefit from a long brick. I did 2:31 last year and had wanted to go back to improve on the bike time in particular (the swim route is different so maybe not really like with like, and god knows what they will do with the run). The prospects of a nice day might decide it for me as well.

I am very envious of those bike times you are doing by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Conor20

metal dog wrote: »
    In the same boat myself, probably more benefit from a long brick. I did 2:31 last year and had wanted to go back to improve on the bike time in particular (the swim route is different so maybe not really like with like, and god knows what they will do with the run). The prospects of a nice day might decide it for me as well.

Same boat myself also. I'm registered for Athy OD and I'd love to do it but with some injury problems, perhaps the bigger picture is a more sensible view to take. I may take the oppertunity for an open water swim with competitors, do the bike and leave the run.

Advertisement