Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ironman Commeth.....slowly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

griffin100 wrote: »
    head position? Where should I be holding my head. I used to tuck my chin into my chest but I recently started looking more forward, but this does place some strain on my neck. I have read that I should try and get my chin to point directly at the floor of the pool - is that correct?

IMHO

Head position should be
    a) steady
    b) water level at or around forehead so you're looking forward at maybe 3 metres in front of you - this should not hurt you're kneck whereas trying to look all the way to the end of the pool your swimming to or pointing your chin directly at the bottom of the pool might

A couple of things ...
    definitely do NOT put chin to chest - essentially you're massively adding to frontal resistence when swimming and when you have to breath you will need to move your head in a big way to get a breath

Good to get some 1-1 advice but after a couple of sessions most of the kinks should be identified and you should be ironing them out on your own time and money ... just my opinion

Everyones different - but if you're tired and sore getting to the pool sometimes its more beneficial to do a reasonable warm up and then some stroke work or kick work - rather than a straight swim watching the clock - its all money in the bucket just being in the pool but its very easy to beat yourself up if you've been doing alot of bike and run and arrive tired for a swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭griffin100

Week 5
    Monday
    Swim 2,300m (300m wu / 400m drills / 100m x 3 (30 secs) / 200m x 3 (30 secs) / 100m x 3 (30 secs) / 200m drills / 200m cd).

Back to swimming 2.15-25 per 100m after last Friday's disaster but still on the slow side. Legs are beginning to feel the extra run and bike training and my kick is suffering so that might be an issue. I had to take a slightly longer break between sets.

Last night was mental in the pool - there were about 10 people swimming lenghts (2 looked like they were swimming off 1.45 per 100m) with 4 teenagers engaging in that traditional courting ritual of splashing about in the middle of the pool trying to impress their (intended?) girlfriends - all this with no lane ropes. Needless to say the there were 1 or 2 collissions - accidental and otherwise. I ended up cutting my second drill set down from an intended 400m to 200m, I was worried about clipping other swimmers with my fins in the tight space. Needless to say I had words with the 'lifeguard' after the swim.

I'm thinking I might leave the watch at home for the next few swims. I tend to get fixated on my swim times (in case you hadn't noticed:D) and by not having a watch with me I cant do this. I need to remember, my target time is arond 1.30hrs for the IM swim; if I work hard I might get it down to 1.25hrs which was the middle competitors time for IMUK last year; and if I work really hard I could get a few minutes lower. However I would get better returns on investing that extra training effort and time into my bike or run where the gains are likely to be greater than 5 minutes. Also, I could train like a maniac in the pool, get down to 1.20hrs, and get a puncture on the bike - in fact I should probably spend some time practicing puncture repair:).

Tuesday
    Run 5 miles / 45 mins

Up at the crack of dawn to run. Nice and dry - decided to wear my brand new runners and a new type of sock I hadn't tried before. I usually wear Sole socks (€10 a pair:eek:) but on Saturday I found some Nike run socks that felt the same so bought some (€9 for 3 pairs :)). Ten minutes into the run the heavens opened. Ended up runnng in torrential rain but it felt great. When I got home my new runners looked like I'd run cross country in them and my socks were soaking but the good news was not even a hint of a blister. I'll wear these socks on a longer run and if still no blisters then I'm buying a truck load of them at €3 a pair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metal dog

Ten minutes into the run the heavens opened. Ended up runnng in torrential rain but it felt great.

Yeah, I looked out at 6:30 and said no way, and went back to bed - now i have to go run on a treadmill at lunchtime:( P.S. - the swimming thing will come good imho, it is a long way to August

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

in fact I should probably spend some time practicing puncture repair:).

How true is that...!

This is the type of stuff that get's forgotten about, but can really screw your day.

After 20 mins of trying to change the tube at DCT in 2008 (pinch near the valve of the new one...), I stomped for a further 25mins back to transition. Got out to do the run, but a bit of practice here would have made all the difference.

No training last night or this morning - have my VO2 max and blood lactate test tonight so have been asked to rest for 24hrs beforehand. Should be interesting. Based on my age and 10km PB I have a 'predicted' VO2 max of 44.3 (http://www.runningforfitness.org/faq/vo2.php) which puts me borderline 'excellent'. I think thats a bit generous, so we'ill wait and see.

• Advertisement

Based on my age and 10km PB I have a 'predicted' VO2 max of 44.3 (http://www.runningforfitness.org/faq/vo2.php) which puts me borderline 'excellent'. I think thats a bit generous, so we'ill wait and see.

So much for internet predictions :rolleyes: my VO2 max came in around 60 ml/kg/min - 'superior' according to the above website :D. Of course it's all meaningless until the final report comes back with details of blood lactate and max heart rate but from what I can see so far I'm happy with that - it's a hell of a lot better than it was when I started training two years ago. The tester told us that some of the 18 year olds she teaches come in at 25 :eek:, not necessarily a reflection of obesity but of little or no exercise.

Test was tough enough - run three minutes on threadmill at 10kph, monitor heart rate, after 3 minutes take blood sample and increase speed to 11kph; and so on. I got to 16kph and almost finished the three minutes but dropped with 20 secs to go. I was fecked. Still feeling it this morning so gave my schedueled one hour turbo a miss. Was nice to do some hard running after 5 weeks of trying to run aerobically.

Wednesday
    Run 20 mins (VO2 max test)

Thursday
    Bike 60 mins on the turbo - high cadence

Friday
    Run 7 miles / one hr - I'm getting better at getting up early:)

Friday Part 2
    Swim 1,500m - 300wu / 100 / 200 / 400 / 200 / 100 (30 secs) / 200cd

Saturday
    Swim 1,500m - 300 wu / 1,000m straight swim (25.28) / 200 cd

Sunday
    Run 7 miles / 60 mins
    Bike 1.45hrs turbo

Week 5 Totals
    Swim 5,300m
    Bike 2hrs45mins - all turbo
    Run 3hrs05mins - 20 miles

Half way through my base training.

Came across this swim video which looked interesting - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXsE7apdQMs&feature=related

it showed me some of the flaws in my current catch and pull.

Week 6
    Monday - day off - ate like a horse all day
    Tuesday - woke up early, turned over and went back asleep. My excuse was that I was hoping to get a swim lesson in that evening and I wanted to 'save' me legs for that ;)

Went to the public pool near home last night for an adult swim lesson session from 10-11. Pool had about 40 people lined up along the side ranging from those who can barely put their face in the water without a panic attack right up to swimmers looking to improve technique. No length swimming, all widths. Met the coach for the more experienced swimmers and explained that I could swim (to a fashion), was training for an IM (I got a look of pity) and wanted some technique help and would a 1:1 lesson be better. He told me to get in the pool and he'd have a look...which he did.

The bad news:
    1. I'm taking far too many strokes for the distance covered
    2. I'm not reaching far enough
    3. I'm not rotating by body nearly enough
    4. I'm muscling the recovery with a tendancy to recover with my arms stiff and too wide from my body
    5. My pull can be too straight at times
    The good news was that he doesn't think I need 1:1 lessons and in fact if I just concentrate on what he told me I should be ok without coming back to often as I'm not too far off. Now I teach on Tuesday evenings and class finishes at 10. Now normally I dont get to train on Tuesday evenings because of this so if I drop in for a session after class every Tuesday it wont interfere with my training and I'm bound to get some benefit from it. It'll certainly be worth the €6:) I aim to swim tonight concentrating on what he told me last night rather than times and distances covered.

Monday
    Run 8 miles / 70 minutes - lovely run, -2 degrees and dry - lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

The bad news:
    1. I'm taking far too many strokes for the distance covered
    2. I'm not reaching far enough
    3. I'm not rotating by body nearly enough
    4. I'm muscling the recovery with a tendancy to recover with my arms stiff and too wide from my body
    5. My pull can be too straight at times

I would put my life on it that I would get the exact same comments, have you counted your strokes??

I tend to take between 16-18 on a 20 metre pool, Interested probably takes about 8 :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

My excuse was that I was hoping to get a swim lesson in that evening and I wanted to 'save' me legs for that ;)

I misread this initially and thought it said ''shave me legs" and I thought 'Wow - he's really getting into it!' :D.

I heard secondhand about a swim coach who says that women listen and follow the technique instruction much better then men as the men just start racing as fast as they can with quick strokes which ties in with your comments.

I'll check my strokes next time also but its a 25m pool. It'd be interesting to see what numbers people come up with.

Interesting log - keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

catweazle wrote: »
    I would put my life on it that I would get the exact same comments, have you counted your strokes??

I tend to take between 16-18 on a 20 metre pool, Interested probably takes about 8 :eek:

Hmm stroke rates etc ...
    Certainly something to think about when swimming and theres loads of ways to play with it if you're used to playing golf.

When counting strokes, it can help your stroke itself since you tend to slow everything right now and feel the water more - but maintaining a even pace is often critical.

If Ive my paddles on then 8 would be about right per lenght of a 25 metre pool (where 1 stroke equals 1 right arm pull and 1 left arm pull).

Sounds like you got some good advice at the class so - in addition to stroke rate theres a few things to be thinking about when you're swimming next.

Id doubt the accuracy of this thing is but ...theres a calculator at the bottom of this page
    that provides estimates for 100m time, 400m, 1500m, and 3800m

I misread this initially and thought it said ''shave me legs" and I thought 'Wow - he's really getting into it!' biggrin.gif.

Maybe later in the year when I can get a quick tan on them:D

At the moment I take about 22-23 strokes to do a 20m pool length which is pretty poor (compare that to Interested - damn it - I better catch him on the bike in Valentia to make myself feel better:p).

Looking at Interested's link my 23 strokes per 20m on 2.15 pace means I have a high stroke rate and need to decrease my stroke rate by about 7-8 times per minute which is around 4 strokes per 20m length. That is definitely something that I can work at doing.
    I heard secondhand about a swim coach who says that women listen and follow the technique instruction much better then men as the men just start racing as fast as they can with quick strokes which ties in with your comments.

I'm a man; in work I'm the boss; of course I know what I'm doing; I dont need any advice or coaching coz I know more than the coach :D

Wednesday
    Bike 1hr turbo.

Should really have gone for a swim but it was too late when I got home from work so out with the torture machine. Concentrated on keeping a nice cadence in a big gear so my legs are a bit sore today.

Now normally I'll watch a DVD when on the turbo but last night I stuck on MTV and cycled away. On came an hour of 'dance anthems' - not really my scene (I'm more of an AC/DC man:)) and I was reaching to turn it off when for some reason I decided not to. Have to say that the hour went very quickly, dont know if it had to do with the music or the videos for same. Some of the ones that I particularly remember are here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOHG5_HixdI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_fCqg92qks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APtj3EvhfWA&feature=channel

Maybe I could get into this dance thing that the youngsters seem to like. Next I'll start wearing a high vis vest and blowing a whistle when on the turbo:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Christ if the missus came into me with one of those videos on, she would take one look and add things up

1. Topless and latered in sweat
    2. Cycling pants
    3. Towelling myself down furiously
    4. Heavy breathing
    5. Slight disorientation

Maybe it might get me out of being forced up into the attic though as she will want to keep an eye on me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Now normally I'll watch a DVD when on the turbo but last night I stuck on MTV and cycled away.Maybe I could get into this dance thing that the youngsters seem to like. Next I'll start wearing a high vis vest and blowing a whistle when on the turbo:D

:D:D I like the MTV dance also on the turbo... probably due to the trance like nature of the videos and the rhythm of the bass beat suiting turbo training...

Get yourself some glow syick to wave about too and do the session with the lights off (or strobes on if you have em..) :D

Thursday
    Swim 700 m - 100m x 7 (20 secs)
    I felt like crying during this session - I was all over the place (2.30 pace), trying to remember the tips from the coach on Tuesday - so I ended it early and wend to McDonalds:(

Friday
    Run 7 miles / 60 mins

Friday - Part 2
    Bike 1hr turbo

Saturday
    Swim 2,300m (300 wu / 400 drills / 20 x 20m (10 secs) / 400 (30 secs) / 20 x 20m (10 secs) / 200 drills / 200 cd)

A much better session than Thursday night. I started to think about what the instructor said to me on Tuesday night about my stroke timing. Usually my left arm starts the catch and pull whilst my right arm is only leaving the water at the start of the recovery phase (and vice versa). This shortens my stroke and I get no 'glide' at all. Today I slowed things down and started concentrating on holding my arm straight and not beginning my catch and pull until the other arm was well out of the water and half way along my body (with my elbow held high). I seemed to be travelling a lot smoother than normal with a 'glide' and with a lot less effort. True enough when I looked at my watch, my 20m's were coming in at 20-22secs. My cool down came in at 2.15 per 100m - when I was tired and stroking really slowly. Hopefully this is a big breakthrough for me and I can move onto the other swim issues when I'm satisifed that I have this issue sorted. I'll concentrate on one flaw at a time (as MCOS advises:)).

Sunday
    Bike 62kms / 2 hr road ride
    Yipee - off the turbo for my first longish ride of the year. Held an average speed over 30kph and stayed on the aerobars for the full two hours - a bit stiff in the upper arms this morning but nothing major. Felt good getting off the bike and could have done another hour I reckon at that speed / effort (heart rate average in the low 80%'s). Really nice to get out even if my fingers were numb for a lot of the ride (I must stop wearing fingerless gloves in cold weather).

On the ride I passed by a cycling club out ambling along at a slowish speed. What do you say to a group of cyclists when you pass them out at speed - I usually just wave as I pass but should I stop to have a quick chat about the weather to be friendly - jaysus, me balls are freezin - or something along those lines? I've noticed that when on my road bike other riders will acknowledge you from the far side of the road but when on the TT bike they ignore you. Wounder why that is??

Week 6 Totals
    Swim 3,000m
    Bike 4 hrs
    Run 3.10 hrs / 22 miles

My totals are in or around what Fink requires (a bit low on my swim this week though). I'm usually a bit down on the run and bike times as I dont bother with his 45 min bike - 15 min run brick sessions. As I have limited time this is the session I drop but I do try and do an extra swim session to compensate. As the brick session requirements increase in duration and intensity I'll do them then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

I usually just wave as I pass but should I stop to have a quick chat about the weather to be friendly - jaysus, me balls are freezin - or something along those lines?

Ahh man what a classic.. nearly choked myself laughing at that one! Your training seems to be going well for you, best of luck in your events for the year.

Monday
    Swim 2,500m (300 wu / 400 drills / 100 x 12 (20 secs) / 400 drills / 200 cd). 100m's were coming in consistently at 2.15. I'm really gonna start concentrating on my body rotation. One interesting thing is that my 100m with fists aren't too far off my normal 100m's-perhaps suggesting a poor catch (of better use of my forearms as paddles when using fists).

Tuesday
    Was supposed to do a swim lesson, but after class felt knackered so went home and ate a tub of hagendass rapped in pancakes - nice.

Wednesday
    Run 8.5 miles / 1.15hrs. Nice and steady 9 minute miles keeping an average hr of 78%. When running at this pace I feel like I can go forever. Got me thinking though, I wounder what my hr used to be when my run training consisted of picking a distance and running it a a fast pace e.g. 8 min miles for a 5 mile run. I must have been in the high 80%'s most of the time:rolleyes: I am itching to open up the legs but I am sticking to Fink's aerobic running for 10 weeks as best I can. My hr only gets high on runs these days when a dog chases me - which seems to be happening more and more at the moment. Its a scary moment when you're running at night and out of nowhere your hear a snarl and then a dark shape charges you:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

griffin100 your doing some great work recently. Impressive stuff
    So much for internet predictions :rolleyes: my VO2 max came in around 60 ml/kg/min - 'superior' according to the above website :D. Of course it's all meaningless until the final report comes back with details of blood lactate and max heart rate but from what I can see so far I'm happy with that - it's a hell of a lot better than it was when I started training two years ago. The tester told us that some of the 18 year olds she teaches come in at 25 :eek:, not necessarily a reflection of obesity but of little or no exercise.

Were you satisfied with your test results? Was your estimated max HR in line with your test results
    Test was tough enough - run three minutes on threadmill at 10kph, monitor heart rate, after 3 minutes take blood sample and increase speed to 11kph; and so on. I got to 16kph and almost finished the three minutes but dropped with 20 secs to go. I was fecked. Still feeling it this morning so gave my schedueled one hour turbo a miss. Was nice to do some hard running after 5 weeks of trying to run aerobically.

Did you have to hop onto the sides of the threadmill after every 3 mins when your blood was been taken and then jump back on again after at the increased speed?

Were you satisfied with your test results? Was your estimated max HR in line with your test results
    Just realised I haven't got the results yet - I'd forgotten all about them. I must chase them up.
    Did you have to hop onto the sides of the threadmill after every 3 mins when your blood was been taken and then jump back on again after at the increased speed?

Yes. My finger looked like a pin cushion the next day!!

Thursday
    Bike 1hr turbo

Friday
    Run 1.15hrs / 8.5 miles. Nice steady 9 minute miles.

Saturday
    Bike 70kms / 2.20hrs- average speed over first 60kms approx. 32-33kph. Had planned to do the 2.30hrs required by Mr Fink but had to give up a few minutes early due to the cold - I couldn't feel my feet and was slowing down as my legs started to freeze. Happy with the average speed over the first 60kms. Makes me feel better about the crapness of my swimming.

Sunday
    Legs felt like lead today. I had taken it easy enough on the bike on Saturday but I reckon the long ride combined with Fridays long run were too much. I was due to do a club duathlon but I ended up giving it a miss, I reckoned racing with the way my legs felt would be a good way to get an injury.

Week 7 Totals
    Swim 2,500m
    Bike 3hrs20mis
    Run 2hrs30mins / 17 miles

Really poor totals for the week - just one swim session. I need to get serious. Good points from this week were the increase in run distances and the long road ride at a decent pace. Week 8 will be better!!!

Week 8
    Monday
    Swim 2,000m straight swim (1,000m @ 25.50 / 2,000m @ 52.51).

Took it nice and steady. Time not spectacular but felt comfortable the whole time and ready for more at the end. In week 11 Fink moves from the 2 x 2,500m per week to 3 x 3,000m per week - a big increase. With that in mind I'm gonna try and get 6-7,000m a week done for the next three weeks to build up to this.

Tuesday
    Run 7 miles / 60 minutes - running at 5.45am is just not natural.

Should really have gone for a swim lesson after work but was fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Iron Enthusiast

Hi Griffin,

Great training log.

I’m on week 6 of the DF competitive plan now, so have been following your progress closely!:o)

Quick question for you: Are you swimming in an open gym pool or a public one?

The reason I ask is the pool I use has blocks of ‘1 hour ‘sessions, so I’m not too sure how to get in my 3,000+m’s sets when the time comes.

Interested to hear how others are handling this!

Also how are you finding keeping to the Z1/Z2 guides on the bikes and runs??
    :)

Wednesday
    Bike 1hr turbo - high cadence

I watched some winter olympics on the turbo. It made the hour go by very quickly. The BBC have a thingy on the red button that plays all of the gold medal winning performances on a loop so you get to see some great highlights - snow x; biathlon, cross country ski (now there's a fit bunch of athletes). Someone please explain though, wtf is the story with the two man luge. For anyone who hasn't seen this two guys in skin suits sit on a tray and slide down a hill feet first. Man no. 1 lies down on his back on the tray. Man no. 2 then lies on top of him so you end up with two heavily muscled men in skin suits lying on top of each other in what looks like a scene from a Village People video sliding down a hill. I dread to think what is holding the guy on top in place or indeed what he is using to steer the tray!! Who came up with this as an idea? Did a luge competitor fancy a club mate or something and ask if he wanted to share a tray and it developed from there?

Thursday
    Run 7 miles / 60 mins. Out in the snow early this morning. Had trouble keeping my heart rate down, I was just finding it hard to run slowly - this often happens the morning after I load up on carbs via a couple of bottles of wine:D I ended up running the 7 miles @ 8.30 pace instead of the standard 9 min pace I have been doing for the past few weeks with the result that my avarega heart rate crept into the Z3 zone (88%).

oops double post

I’m on week 6 of the DF competitive plan now, so have been following your progress closely!redface.gif)

Jesus, dont use me as a measure - I'm struggling to get all of the suggested sessions done. I've been straying from Finks plan but I'm trying to make sure that my weekly run times and that my weekly long bike matches his. I'm trying to go with a 8-9 session a week set up - 3 x each discipline. This means that if I take one day a week off that I have 3 double session days. Its all starting to melt my mind though - I wake up in the middle of the night thinking about the number of days left in the week and the number of sessions I need to do:rolleyes: The only absolute rule I have is that family comes before Fink.
    Quick question for you: Are you swimming in an open gym pool or a public one?

The reason I ask is the pool I use has blocks of ‘1 hour ‘sessions, so I’m not too sure how to get in my 3,000+m’s sets when the time comes.

Interested to hear how others are handling this!

I swim in a gym pool where I'm a member so time isn't an issue. My main problems (apart from mediocre swimming) is the lack of lane ropes and pool ettiquitte in my pool. On Monday night I had to swim around a couple of guys who were chasing each other around the pool with those polystyrene 'sausages' that the kids use to learn to swim. These weren't not kids, they were my age - f***wits.
    Also how are you finding keeping to the Z1/Z2 guides on the bikes and runs??

Again I'm not a slave to the Z1-Z2 thing. I tried in week 1 to run / cycle at Z1 or Z2 but its bloody hard to differentiate - a couple of heart beats here and there. I ended up staring at my hrm as I ran / cycled - not a great idea. The whole point of the base phase is to build aerobic fitness as far as I understand it so I just make sure that I'm not hitting Z3. All of my runs / cycles / turbos to date have been in the Z1/2 zones without trying to seperate Z1 and Z2 (the only exceptions were a club TT and this morning when I couldn't run slowly for some reason). Like I said before, I'm not an absolute slave to Fink. It is hard though to get the heart rate into Z2 on the turbo, whilst its quite easy on the bike!!

Good luck with the training.

Thursday Part 2
    Swim 2,500m (300 wu / 400 drills / 100-200-300-100-200-300 (20 secs) / 400 drills / 200 cd)

One of the most enjoyable swims in a while. I was knackered after an overindulgence in vino the night before and an inadvertant Z3 run in the morning. I forgot my watch so couldn't time my splits (which ended up being a good thing, may do it again). I felt 'fast' - I was concentrating on trying to lengthen my stroke, taking a pause at the end of the reach phase and pushing back as far as possible with by fingers pointing at the pool floor during the final part of the pull phase. I managed to get down to 20 strokes per 20m when I was fresh and concentrating hard which is an improvment. The 100-200-300 x 2 set was tough, on the second 300m I was fecked. On the second set of drills I got severe cramps in both calves; both feet and one set of quads - painful. It was to be expected given how tired my legs were and the fact I hadn't really hydrate properly during the day. Will hopefully get another swim in on Saturday morning which will give me decent swim distances for the week after a couple of poor weeks.

• Advertisement

Friday
    Bike 1hr turbo

Saturday
    Run 1hr / 7 miles. HR was all over the place today with some spikes - felt like palpitations. Took me a while to work out the cause - I had a work thing on Saturday morning during which I drank a couple of cups of coffee (I never drink coffee) followed by a half litre or so of coke. All that caffeine in my system - no wounder my heart was going mad.

Sunday
    Swim 1,470m - 320 wu / 400 drills / 750m 17.35mins. Down to the pool for a quick session before the hoardes of kids arrived. A new pb by around 1.15mins for the 750m - delighted with this. Still middle of the pack swimming but on the right side of the middle if you know what I mean. I started off way to fast (did my first 100m in 2.01 - my fastest ever); died in the middle; recovered to a nice pace by the end - need to work on short race pacing. A good weekened for swimming in my house; my 5 year old daughter did her first full width of the pool on Saturday. Its quite funny when she tells me that I need to make sure that my thumb runs along the side of my shorts when I'm finishing my stroke:D

Bike 2hrs turbo - it was raining, it was cold so I decided to get on the turbo. 20 mins in the sun came out and the rain stopped - oh well I'd started so I'd finish. 90 minutes in and I was all for giving up- promised myself a takeaway pizza if I did the two hours so I did and I did - and I wounder why I'm not loosig weight:D

Week 8 Totals
    Swim 5,960
    Bike 4 hrs turbo
    Run 3 hrs / 21 miles

Two more weeks of aerobic training and then the fun starts.

Advertisement