Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

you DO believe in God.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Does God believe in me !..... Well do Ya ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Is it a full moon this week or has someone given the forum address to religiousnutsRus.com again?!
    I'd imagine that a few of our religious friends have inadvertently sugar-rushed themselves in the run-up to the start of lent on Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Ah, yes, that would certainly explain it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Look at you , atheist , a pathetic creature of
    , logic and lies. Arguing and typing as , you
    post on this , forum. How can you challenge , a
    perfect immortal Christian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A_Border_Bandit

I suppose I'd describe myself as a fair weather fan, I'd go when I can and I'll bring my children until they're old enough to decide for themselves.

• Advertisement

A fair-weather fan of what? Bring your kids to what? :confused:

God and Church respectively, I'd imagine.

I thought it might be but then it didn't follow on from the last page of posting nor the "How many atheists are there really?" in the OP?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,069 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

To be honest with you, my own idea is that there is some powerful force out there that influenced the universe at the beginning. I don't think it has to be praised or revered or begged for forgiveness but, to me, it's the only way I can understand how the Big Bang happened. I just don't get the "first, there was nothing, than there was everything" without it.

(If someone who understands the Big Bang better wants to explain how it happened, I'd appreciate it.)

I do use "God" or "Jesus" as curses, I do say "Oh my God" or "Thank God" when the situation calls for that sentiment. However, I only use them as the stock phrases they have become: to me, when I'm saying "God!" or "Jesus!", I could just as easily say "crap!" or "feck!"; the same with when I say "Oh my God", I could just as easily say "Wow" or when I say "Thank God" I could just as easily say "nice one", etc..

To me, this isn't acknowledgement of a God, though people have pointed it out to me saying it is. To me, it's just use of a stock phrase as a way of verbalising my response to certain situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

first, there was nothing

Nothing about the theory suggests this. Not in the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

to speak on your terms is typical of the
    the low level atheist.

I'm a level 16 atheist :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,069 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

(If someone who understands the Big Bang better wants to explain how it happened, I'd appreciate it.)
    Nothing about the theory suggests this. Not in the slightest.
    That was my understanding of it. I've never read into it and, like I said, if someone wishes to explain it to, I'm all ears.

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'm a level 16 atheist :P

Oooooh! Is that anywhere near a ninja black belt atheist? :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm a cultural atheist. I don't subscribe to all the associated dogma and beliefs - I just like the lifestyle.

Nyom nyom.

sebastien_chabal_370368a.jpg

I never put that Sebastian Chabal chap down as a baby eater....you live and learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

That was my understanding of it. I've never read into it and, like I said, if someone wishes to explain it to, I'm all ears.

I'm going to be both practical and lazy by referring you to the excellent articles on Wikipedia. There is little I could say that can't be found there. However, the important thing to note is that the extent of our knowledge leads us back to a singularity. From there the universe inflates. We do not know what happened in the extreme beginnings of the universe. This is what all this Large Hadron Collider business is experimenting with. But just because we don't know what happened at this time, does not mean we are allowed to say "scientists say the universe came from nothing", I see this a lot online and it makes my blood boil.

(Not saying you were suggesting that)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I never put that Sebastian Chabal chap down as a baby eater....you live and learn.
    Oh yeah! It never registered - Seabass!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

To be honest with you, my own idea is that there is some powerful force out there that influenced the universe at the beginning.
    Attributing intention to somewhere that no intention is necessary is a common mistake. See here for some of the latest thoughts on this. And as FD has said, Wiki has good articles which explain the current (agent-free, evidence-based) understanding of where it's at.
    I do use "God" or "Jesus" as curses [...] To me, this isn't acknowledgement of a God, though people have pointed it out to me saying it is.
    It's just amazing to see how urgently religious people want to have their beliefs vindicated. A guy says "Christ!" when he hits his thumb with a hammer, and some religious type will claim this means that the guy is secretly religious!

This one needs to be pushed back -- if you hear them use the word "Thursday", then suggest that this means that they're secret admirers of the Norse god Thor and see how you get on :)

it's the only way I can understand how the Big Bang happened

Have you considered just accepting that you can't understand it?

It may very well be that our mammalian brains are not capable of understanding the nature/cause/non-cause of the Big Bang. Even if we could, we certainly don't have enough information at the moment. The only honest, and I think also humble, position to take is to say that we just don't know and move on. I certainly won't make up an answer just to satisfy my existential angst.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Zillah wrote: »
    I certainly won't make up an answer just to satisfy my existential angst.
    Well said, you could also apply that idea to many different spiritual and theistic positions. I think it stems from a general human dislike for uncertainty and chaos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

How many people are REALLY atheist?

Let's be honest - it's in vogue. People think it's cool, intellectual or rebellious to be atheist. Deep down though, a lot of these people secretly say a prayer here or there.

A lot of people who genuinely have abandoned religious belief find themselves at the end of life afraid of death, and quickly convert.

Some in their conscious mind think 'God is not real' , but subconsciously, some beliefs remain. Whether it's a result of their upbringing, or a human connection to something spiritual I don't know.

How many atheists are really left?

Yeah, the power of christ compels me. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 srynelo

kev9100 wrote: »
    No, I dont believe in God.
    If you can prove or explain how love, hope , trust, intuition.... happens/occurs...then you can tell the world that God is non-existent. The mere fact that you claimed "you don't BELIEVE in God" is a proof that you have a belief, and that is "you DON'T BELIEVE".
    Proving that God does not exist is like going inside the Library of Congress, and after ONLY you've read all the books,archives,etc... in it, and say to yourself that what you're looking for was not there...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

srynelo wrote: »
    If you can prove or explain how love, hope , trust, intuition.... happens/occurs...then you can tell the world that God is non-existent. The mere fact that you claimed "you don't BELIEVE in God" is a proof that you have a belief, and that is "you DON'T BELIEVE".
    Proving that God does not exist is like going inside the Library of Congress, and after ONLY you've read all the books,archives,etc... in it, and say to yourself that what you're looking for was not there...

Sorry dude, if this is condescending, but that post is full of fails. You don't understand the concept of faith/belief. Nor the definition of atheism. Nor the idea of proof. Kudos on admitting that disproving God is impossible, at least that's something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

If you can prove or explain how love, hope , trust, intuition.... happens/occurs...then you can tell the world that God exists. The mere fact that you claimed "you BELIEVE in God" is not proof that God exists. Proving that God exists is like standing outside the Library of Congress, and after ONLY staring at the door of the building... saying to yourself that what you're looking for was in there...

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

If you can prove or explain how love, hope , trust, intuition.... happens/occurs...then you can tell the world that God is non-existent.

Well that's easy. It's God directly manipulating my brain chemistry... ah ****, you've caught me out.

The mere fact that you claimed "you don't BELIEVE in God" is a proof that you have a belief, and that is "you DON'T BELIEVE"

Do you believe I am blond? Or do you believe I am not blond?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

If you can prove or explain how love, hope , trust, intuition.... happens/occurs...then you can tell the world that God is non-existent.

Can a theist explain how God explains how love, hope, trust and intuition happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Wicknight wrote: »
    Can a theist explain how God explains how love, hope, trust and intuition happens?

Those things make us feel nice, therefore God exists.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah I knew I believed in something but forgot about it!

Ah, believing in god, it's always in the last place I look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ski Boz

Ah Feckin Jaysis Mary and Joseph! Yer all madsers.

Blasphemy: The victimless crime

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭dblennon

I have too say that it really is interesting for people/theists/poster to think that it's faddish to be an athiest.
    As a person who went had religous mother & grandparents and went to a holy ghost school I, for lack of a better word struggled for a long time with the concept of no afterlife it is so fundamentally a part of religon that it is the last hurdle too get over in the face of overwhelming evidence.

but the more you learn the more you agree that having self awareness makes us predesposed to not understanding ends.

I am far free'er no, I ensure that I get the most out of life knowing that this is all you get.

Advertisement