Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

you DO believe in God.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 missusblagh

Everyone - you're really taking this the wrong way, a lot of you.
    I can understand how it might flare up anger in genuine atheists.
    So I will apologise to you - but it's not aimed at you.

Answer this question anyway :
    Will you not agree that there are posers out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

What a bizarre question. There's all sort of people out there if you look hard enough for them you'll find atheists who believe in self mutilation and astrology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Petrovia

Where's the evidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Malty_T wrote: »
    I envy you.:( Born atheist/agnostic and growing up with no beliefs sounds awesome. Were you any bit spiritual or superstitious?

No, not at all, there are times when I'd dearly love to think my path was secure and someone up there is looking out for me - but I just....can't.

My parents tried to explain the whole global religion thing to me when I was 3 or 4 after seeing a nativity play and my Dad said I looked them like they had three heads the whole time & then kept drilling them on the finer details until they ran out of answers. I have never, ever been able to make sense of theism and I don't think I ever will.
    Also, if I may ask, what kind of reaction did you get from people in the general public? If any.

Reaction to being an atheist generally or a 5 year old declaring they don't believe in a god? I don't remember religion ever being an issue, the schools are secular, no-one discusses religion unless specifically asked, what religion - if any - is just a non-issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

I don't remember religion ever being an issue, the schools are secular, no-one discusses religion unless specifically asked, what religion - if any - is just a non-issue.

I presume you didnt go to school in ireland, yeah?

• Advertisement

kev9100 wrote: »
    I presume you didnt go to school in ireland, yeah?

That is not a tricolour on my avatar. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

I just checked and am happy to say that there are absolutely no 'posers' out there whatsoever. /thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Some form of belief is a consistent factor of EVERY group/race/tribe of people in existence today, and probably ever.

I'd like to direct you to the Piraha people of the Amazon. No belief system whatsoever. But they're obviously just posers aren't they?

Petrovia wrote: »
    Where's the evidence?

I've met tons of people who brag that they're atheist, but when you get into a conversation with them about it, they don't know what they're talking about, it's clear they haven't thought it out properly.

They have the typical answers - religion causes war, no evidence, bible is bull and all that, but they fall down on the first challenge.

Has no one honestly met no one like this?
    I suppose if you're atheist, and you meet someone who's atheist, you don't go into details of why you are?

Maybe I posted this in the wrong forum.

I'm just sick of ignorant narrow minded posers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

hahah

you might want to reevaluate the way you're coming across so..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I've met tons of people who brag that they're atheist, but when you get into a conversation with them about it, they don't know what they're talking about, it's clear they haven't thought it out properly.

They have the typical answers - religion causes war, no evidence, bible is bull and all that, but they fall down on the first challenge.

I suppose if you're atheist, and you meet someone who's atheist, you don't go into details of why you are?

Ahh, now we're getting somewhere. Often meet these kinds of atheists and love playing the devils advocate against them in the hope that it might wake them up a wee bit. Nothing pisses me off more than an atheist, who declares themselves a rationalist but is more ignorant to science than many mainstream theists.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,316 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

How many people are REALLY atheist?

Let's be honest - it's in vogue. People think it's cool, intellectual or rebellious to be atheist. Deep down though, a lot of these people secretly say a prayer here or there.

I would have thought it was the other way round. How many people just scribble down catholic on the census form in the same way they tick the box for fluent Irish speaker? As for atheism being fashionable, there is a similar uptake in more extreme forms of christianity too. I see it as more of a polarisation than anything else. The state of the Catholic church in Ireland is only accelerating this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Petrovia

You seem to misunderstand what being an atheist means. It does not mean that you have to have some sort of deep, philosophical underpinning of your world view. Being an atheist simply means that you have a lack of belief in god/s, for whatever reason! You don't have to know what you're talking about in any way whatsoever. You just have to lack a belief in god/s.

Or do people who don't collect stamps (a-stamp collectors, if you will) have to know the ins and outs about stamp collecting in order to be a 'valid' a-stamp collector?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Arcus Arrow

iUseVi wrote: »
    It is true that where traditional religions have declined, other ones have sprung up to take their place. Paganism, wicca etc. Not sure if they are an improvement or not. Getting rid of hell is a good start, but yeah thats another discussion.

Alternative religions are just people who don't want to believe in one religion being attracted to another because it's not quite like the one they left.

I was referring specifically to people who describe themselves as atheists and atheist organisations. The imprint of Jesusism is looking for anyone else, even though they are earthbound, as being the solution to ones problems or as being more or less perfect like the two examples I gave: Obama or Nelson Mandela. Having heroes is I'd think a derivative of having a jesus figure in the sense it's someone to look up to who can't be emulated but only admired. To be truly of the belief that there in no god in any way shape or form would mean people acting and thinking that way but they do not.
    The OP, clumsy as it is, is also right to say many people are calling themselves atheist (which does not mean they are not) because it's in vogue.

I've met tons of people who brag that they're atheist, but when you get into a conversation with them about it, they don't know what the.....

You could substitute atheist with pretty much anything else and the same sentence and sentiment would stand.

Are you suggesting that people can only stop believing in a god if they have good reason? There is no per-requisite that you must be able to quote every logical fallacy or argue every biblical contradiction in order to validate an atheist stance - other than by choice on fora like this one, obviously. Just not having a belief in a God is all it takes to hold the title of atheist in the real world.

Ahh, now we're getting somewhere. Often meet these kinds of atheists and love playing the devils advocate against them in the hope that it might wake them up a wee bit. Nothing pisses me off more than an atheist, who declares themselves a rationalist but is more ignorant to science than many mainstream theists.

This is what I mean,
    I don't understand how I was coming off in any other way?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

They have the typical answers - religion causes war, no evidence, bible is bull and all that
    Goodness, what more do you want? Ironically, I think you are the one who hasn't thought any of this through. All I see is someone very much afraid of reason and rationality and a bit too worried about what is cool and unique. Atheists don't care about vogues or if your friends bought their atheists t-shirts in BT2 or oxfam, we are simply proponents of reason. That much is lost on you, obviously.

EDIT: Die thread die! *stab*

This is what I mean,
    I don't understand how I was coming off in any other way?

Yeah, with a thread title declaring to a forum of atheists "you DO believe in God", it's difficult to fathom why anyone would consider your points crass generalisations pulled from your proverbial hat...

Errrrr..... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭eblistic

they don't know what they're talking about, it's clear they haven't thought it out properly.

This thread should be let fizzle out but anyway...

I'm sure there are varying degrees to which different people who accept the tag atheist or agnostic ponder the potential veracity of theistic theories, but why should they be obliged to do so at all? The theories can't be proven or disproven so why waste their time? (I actually think it's worthwhile understanding why humans believe this stuff but that's different).

but when you get into a conversation with them about it, they don't know what they're talking about, it's clear they haven't thought it out properly.

I think you have summed up your own argument quite aptly with that sentence.

• Advertisement

Are you suggesting that people can only stop believing in a god if they have good reason?.

I just think, living in a world surrounded by religion, and considering that it seems to be a fundamental part of being human (except for apparantly an Amazonian tribe), that it's something that you WOULD have a good reason, a reason strong enough to overpower all of that, you get me?
    You seem to misunderstand what being an atheist means. It does not mean that you have to have some sort of deep, philosophical underpinning of your world view. Being an atheist simply means that you have a lack of belief in god/s, for whatever reason! You don't have to know what you're talking about in any way whatsoever. You just have to lack a belief in god/s.

That's agnostic you're referring to. They have more of an indifference, to be an atheist, it's more defined. It's an absolute certainty that there is no God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

It would be a great help if folk could describe their notion of god.

God, as peddled by Catholicism - and others - is a complete non starter.
    However, there has to be a Cause and perhaps this is the deepest idea of a god - a non interventionist Power that sustains, needs no worship or adoration, doesn't need a continuing flow of other folks money or time and will be non-judgemental when we do leave this place.
    Life is ours to live and if lived along the basis of the 'golden rule': do as you would be done by - and be honestly prepared to reap as was sown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Maybe he is referring to people who are maybe ashamed to a certain degree with their religion, due to recent scandals etc etc.... and pretend they are atheist? (do such people even exist?)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Or do people who don't collect stamps (a-stamp collectors, if you will) have to know the ins and outs about stamp collecting in order to be a 'valid' a-stamp collector?
    I agree with this, some people don't particularly care about it (much like with religion) and just do what comes naturally. Most people on this forum would have thought about it and that's why they came here, because they do see it as important, but I'm sure there are loads of atheist/agnostic posters on boards who don't bother with this forum simply because they don't see it as something important to talk about.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

kev9100 wrote: »
    I think you have summed up your own argument quite aptly with that sentence.

How? How do I not know what I'm talking about?

I'm saying this:
    I know many people, who decided on a whim they are atheist. Turns out, they didn't really think about it. Considering the general pull in society , and humanity, this is a bit unlikely, that you can form such a strong opinion so quickly. The reason is , they want to be atheist, because it's rebellious or whatever.

I know people like this.
    They EXIST.

So tell me what here do I not know about?

I just think, living in a world surrounded by religion, and considering that it seems to be a fundamental part of being human (except for apparantly an Amazonian tribe), that it's something that you WOULD have a good reason, a reason strong enough to overpower all of that, you get me?

Amazonian tribes and families from Scotland, apparently...no, I don't get you. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

There are a few alright (as with any group of people), but if you stick around and get to know the regular posters in this forum you will find that the vast majority of us have thought out our reasons for being atheist long and hard.

I get you. There are many good arguments/reasons for atheism. Long story short, the distinct lack of evidence for the existence of any Gods is one of the main ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

We've been through this before, turns out people can not collect stamps for all kinds of silly and wrong reasons!
    I know many people, who decided on a whim they are atheist. Turns out, they didn't really think about it.

Hmmm, I know many people who never really decided for themselves to believe in God, they were indoctrinated as kids and then keep going because it's what society and everyone else does, they just want to fit in. Turns out, they didn't really think about it.

I never said, 'don't be atheist'

I never said ' I disagree with atheism'

I'm really just saying 'there are posers'

I'm new to boards.ie, choosing the title 'you DO believe in God' , as just a kind of a title... obviously things are taken more literally?

Just want to point out - I really never said anything , other than, I believe there are posers out there, so it's funny how angry people got. It seems, these people (not all) can't take any criticism to atheist people in general? I really think if they fully read through everything I said and they're overly quick take on it, they would find they are in fact the trolls.

• Advertisement

How? How do I not know what I'm talking about?

So tell me what here do I not know about?

You wanna know how i know you dont know what you are talking about? Well, look at your thread title for a start. "You DO believe in God". What a ludicrous statement. Who gave you the right to tell me what to think? I sure as hell didnt.

Advertisement