Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

you DO believe in God.

Options
  • 13-01-2010 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

How many people are REALLY atheist?

Let's be honest - it's in vogue. People think it's cool, intellectual or rebellious to be atheist. Deep down though, a lot of these people secretly say a prayer here or there.

A lot of people who genuinely have abandoned religious belief find themselves at the end of life afraid of death, and quickly convert.

Some in their conscious mind think 'God is not real' , but subconsciously, some beliefs remain. Whether it's a result of their upbringing, or a human connection to something spiritual I don't know.

How many atheists are really left?

Comments

jesus-facepalm-facepalm-jesus-epic-demotivational-poster-1218659828.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Let's be honest - it's in vogue. People think it's cool, intellectual or rebellious to be atheist. Deep down though, a lot of these people secretly say a prayer here or there.

A lot of people who genuinely have abandoned religious belief find themselves at the end of life afraid of death, and quickly convert.

Some in their conscious mind think 'God is not real' , but subconsciously, some beliefs remain. Whether it's a result of their upbringing, or a human connection to something spiritual I don't know.

And you know this how? The only mind you have any experience of is yours.

EDIT: obvious troll attempt I know, but meh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

No, I dont believe in God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

0.0075% of people are believers, the rest are atheist*

*figures based on a survey of one person

• Registered Users Posts: 40 missusblagh

iUseVi wrote: »
    And you know this how? The only mind you have any experience of is yours.

Well I can also get experience of other people's minds by the gift of conversation .... !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I dont, havent said a prayer to imaginary man in the sky since my confirmation, I may as well be paying to the pair of socks on the floor as for all the good it would do

Know many athiests that converted on their death beds do we? I cant wait to see whats on the other side, if anything, which there probably isnt, but its freeing knowing I dont have to appease an imaginary being to barter my way into his cloudy funhouse at the end of my life

try hard troll needs to try harder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

Obvious troll

Ok, I see a lot of these posts are quite mocking and condescending.

I notice that's a trait of atheist arguments and it's rather annoying when you're bringing up a debate, though understandable in some situations- religion has done a lot of fuzzed up stuff, and a lot of the hardcore religious are fairly stupid.

I'd like to point out, I'm neither hardcore religious nor stupid.
    In fact I don't have any real belief system, so my argument is quite objective.

I'm just quite against those who are 'atheist' because it's in style. And also those who mock people who do have beliefs, as it's very much their right. The majority of them don't fly out with rediculous arguments.

Some form of belief is a consistent factor of EVERY group/race/tribe of people in existence today, and probably ever.

Some people have thought about it deeply, studied it, researched it, and found they are incapable of believing in anything spiritual, and believe in the here and now. Fair enough.

For the rest of you - maybe formed your opinion in about a week, decided to stick with it cos it's 'in'?
    Be honest with yourself.
    Belief is bred into you, it's going to take a lot more to purge it.

Agonist wrote: »
    0.0075% of people are believers, the rest are atheist*

*figures based on a survey of one person

Agonist - If this were facebook, I would like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

What a load of ignorant crap.

I was never led to believe that there is a God and nor have I ever thought there was one - never, not for one single day. This "Meh, you're just an atheist because it's fashionable" nonsense is just a way of trying to devalue people who have never been theists and those that have thought long and hard about religion.

If you are not hardcore religious why would it bother you what anyone thinks and why, especially the swelling ranks of atheists? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

When you can verbalise why you don't believe in Odin you'll understand why I don't believe in Jahwe, or Odin for that matter.

Some people have thought about it deeply, studied it, researched it, and found they are incapable of believing in anything spiritual, and believe in the here and now. Fair enough.

What do you expect from this forum? I do not believe in god(s) and do not have even any niggling doubts about it. Most people here are going to say the same thing.

Its still easier to be religious in our culture than not, I think the "because it's in vogue" argument doesn't hold up.
    Some in their conscious mind think 'God is not real' , but subconsciously, some beliefs remain.

How could you possibly know what is in people's subconscious from conversation? That's the most ridiculous thing I've read all week, and there are a few contenders. That's why I marked you as a troll straight out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Some form of belief is a consistent factor of EVERY group/race/tribe of people in existence today, and probably ever.

Indeed, this is probably true. Virtually all of these beliefs contradict the others though. So isn't it obvious that this means that humanity is predisposed towards religious beliefs, independent of whether there is any truth behind them?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Do you really not believe in Santa or do you secretly send off a letter every year and hope?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

That is generally what happens when you post ill thought out posts. Not by any means an atheist/agnostic exclusive.
    I notice that's a trait of atheist arguments and it's rather annoying when you're bringing up a debate
    If you post here long enough you'll realise that the majority of the posters here are really rather civilised. (Watch out for rohatch!)
    I'd like to point out, I'm neither hardcore religious nor stupid.
    No one said you were stupid. Please don't think negatively of yourself.
    In fact I don't have any real belief system, so my argument is quite objective
    You're initial post wasn't really objective. It was speaking more from some kind of personal experience. Atheists/agnostics, more often than not, tend to be rationalists and don't exactly weigh personal experience that heavily.
    I'm just quite against those who are 'atheist' because it's in style. And also those who mock people who do have beliefs, as it's very much their right. The majority of them don't fly out with rediculous arguments.

People are atheists for a multitude of reasons. As for mocking beliefs, do you hestitate to mock someone's arguments in defence of FF or Man U? Why does religion get a privileged protection?
    Indeed, but such beliefs while useful for our survival in the past are now hazardous, imo.
    For the rest of you - maybe formed your opinion in about a week, decided to stick with it cos it's 'in'?
    Be honest with yourself.
    Belief is bred into you, it's going to take a lot more to purge it

I'm confused do you want to purge your own belief, or do you think there are posters here who secretly believe but are under a delusion (or something) that they don't?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Well, missus, you got me. I know, I know, I put on a facade of atheism because it's fashionable, and I like to fit in with my atheist friend. But really I do believe in God. Either the silly concrete concept of God who made us in his image and lives outside the Universe, or the very-slightly-less-silly concept of God who is a fluffy, ill-defined entity existing somewhere just outside reality. I even say a prayer at night time, just to remind God that I still believe he's looking after us even when it's patently obvious we're alone.

Though every morning, just to keep myself cool, I eat a baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

What a load of ignorant crap.

I was never led to believe that there is a God and nor have I ever thought there was one - never, not for one single day. This "Meh, you're just an atheist because it's fashionable" nonsense is just a way of trying to devalue people who have never been theists and those that have thought long and hard about religion.

If you are not hardcore religious why would it bother you what anyone thinks and why, especially the swelling ranks of atheists? :rolleyes:

I envy you.:( Born atheist/agnostic and growing up with no beliefs sounds awesome. Were you any bit spiritual or superstitious?
    Also, if I may ask, what kind of reaction did you get from people in the general public? If any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Shorter troll.

'Hi, I'm going to tell everyone what I think you weally weally weally totally think and you try refute it, okay? Okay? Okay? No cheating!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Dades, Robin - It might perhaps be advisable to have a 'I am over 18 years old checkbox' for new posters?:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Well, you're off to a great start.

stevejazzx wrote: »
    Dades, Robin - It might perhaps be advisable to have a 'I am over 18 years old checkbox' for new posters?:)
    Bit harsh on all the regular under 18 posters...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Bit harsh on all the regular under 18 posters...

Shouldn't you be in bed by now?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Troll thread I know but it reminds me of a story my grandfather told me about his fathers time in the trenches. He said that many of the english soldiers he fought with were atheist but within a week of being in the Somme they became devout Christians..... Maybe it is some part of the human mind to look for a higher being in great times of stress/danger?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Arcus Arrow

Which god who?

It's true that people who do not believe in a god are not necessarily free of the mental habits that typify religious believers. When a person says they do not believe in a god it does not mean they don't act in a way consistent with believing in a greater power than themselves. That greater power could be, for example, Barak Obama or any world class sports star.

Many people including those who identify themselves as atheists engage in what I'd call Jesusism.

To conciously move away from a belief system relates to the belief system one is moving away from and that belief system defines what actions are taken or what beliefs are or are not held.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭eblistic

I'm just quite against those who are 'atheist' because it's in style.

Atheism has been around quite a while I'd imagine... as fads go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Troll thread I know but it reminds me of a story my grandfather told me about his fathers time in the trenches. He said that many of the english soldiers he fought with were atheist but within a week of being in the Somme they became devout Christians..... Maybe it is some part of the human mind to look for a higher being in great times of stress/danger?
    Very well known adage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_are_no_atheists_in_foxholes

So to counter that this was setup http://www.maaf.info/expaif.html

Which god who?

It's true that people who do not believe in a god are not necessarily free of the mental habits that typify religious believers. When a person says they do not believe in a god it does not mean they don't act in a way consistent with believing in a greater power than themselves. That greater power could be, for example, Barak Obama or any world class sports star.

Many people including those who identify themselves as atheists engage in what I'd call Jesusism.

To conciously move away from a belief system relates to the belief system one is moving away from and that belief system defines what actions are taken or what beliefs are or are not held.

It is true that where traditional religions have declined, other ones have sprung up to take their place. Paganism, wicca etc. Not sure if they are an improvement or not. Getting rid of hell is a good start, but yeah thats another discussion.

stevejazzx wrote: »
    Shouldn't you be in bed by now?:)
    I'm 19 I'll have you know ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Arcus Arrow

Which god who where when.....

It's true that people who do not believe in a god are not necessarily free of the mental habits that typify religious believers. When a person says they do not believe in a god it does mean they don't act in a way consistent with believing in a greater power than themselves and having figure heads that they have “faith” in. For example: Barak Obama or Nelson Mandela (why is he so famous?)

It’s what I’d call Jesusism.

To reject a set of beliefs involves thinking about them which often results in dictating the actions, relative to those beliefs, that a person engages in. Lots of atheist organisations become shadows of religious ones in their structure but with a different canon and an alternative orthodoxy. The desire not to be bound by a god does not result in being devoid of any mental patterns that derive from believing there is. It could hardly be any other way considering religion is soaked into the mind of every child from birth and religion dominates everything from language to anything you care to mention. It's seeped into every nook and cranny. Jaysus lets hope to god someday we'll get over it.....oops ****!

Advertisement