Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Movies with great endings\twists

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

Kipperhell wrote: »
    The film that had to be re-shoot the ending, after testing the film, to dumb it down?:eek: It was a cheap schlock ending IMHO. I think any intelligent person that was shocked by the ending was because it was so overblown and unrealistic.

See, I think that is revisionist thinking regarding 'Fatal Attraction'. I was talking about the movie not 'Making of Fatal Attraction'. As I said earlier it was a film where the film-makers asked audiences not to reveal the ending, because at the time it was different.

Jagged Edge also has a twist.
    Might be considered 'schlock nowadays. But was considered a brilliant courtroom drama when it came out.

Carol Reed's Odd Man Out was shock value for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭Land Of Idiots

The Sixth Sense
    The Others
    Identity
    Secret Window
    Hide and Seek
    DVD alternate ending (mental institution) which was much better IMO than the one used

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Oldboy

Identity

Mulholland drive

Jacobs ladder

Soylent green (god damn simpsons ruined that one though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Rambo, I'm always surprised that spastick is alive at the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

ScumLord wrote: »
    Rambo, I'm always surprised that spastick is alive at the end of it.

I really want to make a smart comment about the irony, but it speaks for itself really :p

Anyway seriously The ending for The Departed came out of nowhere.
    There's just suddenly 3 dead bodies laying there and I'm think WTF just happened :eek:
    The scene in Burn After Reading
    where Brad Pitt got shot reminded me immediately of this

Watched Fight Club for the first time recently and I think I'll be watching it again soon, thinking about it in my mind it just seems so stupid but I think a second viewing will probably clear up the blurriness.
    I mean, why did a load of people show up to watch a guy beat himself up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

The usuals, Departed, Fight Club, Sixth Sense.

One that comes to mind: Arlington Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭ipitydafool

i agree on usual suspects, great film and brillant ending. I liked the endings of the 3 guy ritchie films, lock,stock, snatch and layer cake. Great films

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Friday Night Lights has a great ending, probably even two parter; 1.
    The game itself
    then
    when you find out what the players went on to do with their lives after being made out to be superstar for a year or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Watched Fight Club for the first time recently and I think I'll be watching it again soon, thinking about it in my mind it just seems so stupid but I think a second viewing will probably clear up the blurriness.
    Spoiler: I mean, why did a load of people show up to watch a guy beat himself up

Wouldnt you? He only
    ever "fought" Tyler once so the other times its him/Tyler fighting twice a night, probably why they respected him so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Saw One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest recently for the first time in many years. While not exactly a twist, I was genuinely surprised by the ending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

There's a 70's English horror film called Asylum which had a brilliant plot twist.

The plot is this: a psychiatry graduate applies for a job at a small mental hospital. First, he meets the wheelchair-bound head of the hospital and the head sets him a challenge: there are four patients upstairs and one of them is the previous psychiatrist who went mad because of his job. If the graduate can figure out which one is the psychiatrist, he'll get the job.

So he goes upstairs and is met by the nurse who introduces him to all the patients. One is a doctor who builds miniature robots using small bits of his own organs to wile away the time. He is also intent on revenge against the head of the hospital so the graduate assumes it's him. While telling the head this, one of the miniature robots attacks the head and kills him. The graduate stamps on the robot and then the doctor upstairs screams and dies.

Now, the twist:
    The graduate runs upstairs to find out what happened and the nurse tells him everything's ok. The graduate gets annoyed and runs into the nurse's office to use the phone. Inside the office, there's a dead body. The graduate asks the nurse who that is and the nurse tells him that it's the real nurse. The graduate is confused and the other guy then reveals that he is the doctor who went mad. He then kills the graduate. The film ends with another psychiatry graduate entering the mental hospital for an interview, with the mad doctor opening the door for him.

I loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

As some people have already mentioned;
    Sixth Sense,American History X and Layer Cake.
    Some Others:
    .Saw 1
    .Gothika
    .Flight Plan
    -(I wasn't sure if she was just crazy or not,before truth emerged.:))
    .Vanilla Sky

Think most of the best ones have already been mentioned.

The Sixth Sense is a great twist at the time, but on second viewing it makes the movie fall apart,like the fact that no other characters after the first few scenes dont talk to Willis' character, Shyamalans problem is that we only see whats confined to the frame of the camera, if that makes sense, theres a few instances in his movies where the characters dont react to something that in your normal field of vision would be right there, but because its off frame of the shot the characters cant see it, it makes no sense,

theres an instance in The Village where Joaquin Phoenix is in the woods and hears one of the creatures, the camera pans across and we see a part of its cloak disappear from frame, then he relaxes, but it should still be there! or at least legging it away from him in full view,just because its off the frame shouldnt mean in the 3D world the characters should inhabit it suddenly disappears, its the same in The Sixth Sense, we're supposed to believe that Willis and Coles mother are sitting there not speaking for probably a half hour before he arrives, and Willis doesnt realise this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

krudler wrote: »
    its the same in The Sixth Sense, we're supposed to believe that Willis and Coles mother are sitting there not speaking for probably a half hour before he arrives, and Willis doesnt realise this?

Well if you want to get into it why was he there at all? Its not like he could have got a phone call from the mother to say her son is disturbed and needs counselling. I think he saw what he wanted see.

Well if you want to get into it why was he there at all? Its not like he could have got a phone call from the mother to say her son is disturbed and needs counselling. I think he saw what he wanted see.

I know its explained that ghosts have unfinished business or need to right a wrong or whatever, but its a stretch that Willis is always in these places and doesnt do any day to day stuff, also he's wearing the same clothes as in the opening of the movie the whole way throughout, but its not something you pick up on on first viewing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

The worst ending for me was no country for old men. Awful. Just awful. My top 3 favourite were 1)Shawshank redemption 2)seven 3)planes trained and automobiles haha

Btw I know this thread is kind of old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,895 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The ending to an 11 year old thread zombie thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

11 year old zombie thread, this must be a record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭flasher0030

The ending to an 11 year old thread zombie thread.

It's not really a zombie thread though, as there have been several movies with great endings/twist since, so it continues to be relevant.

Movie that stands out for me that has a great ending is Warrior with Tom Hardy. I've watched the last 10 minutes of that about 20 times.

And my favourite ending is Vanilla Sky. The rooftop scene. Love that. The way the twist comes together and the background music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

Was literally just thinking about this yesterday. My favourite ending is "The long goodbye" by Robert altman. What a film and a denouement I didn't see coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Had a look through the offerings, and I noticed Arlington Road and The Parallax View in there; both really good
    with the same twist ending

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

An 11-year-old thread, eh? Let's see, what's come out since then?

Inception. Loses points for confusing some people, but I found it very emotionally satisfying.

Bad Lieutenant - Port of Call: New Orleans. There's a black humour throughout the movie, but it wraps up so absurdly neatly that I can't help but just laugh along as the plot becomes the joke.
    santana75 wrote: »
    Was literally just thinking about this yesterday. My favourite ending is "The long goodbye" by Robert altman. What a film and a denouement I didn't see coming.
    I love that movie and recommend it to everyone. Great noir, though in colour it looks incongruous in the saturated sunshine of California.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

mikhail wrote: »
    An 11-year-old thread, eh? Let's see, what's come out since then?

Inception. Loses points for confusing some people, but I found it very emotionally satisfying.

Bad Lieutenant - Port of Call: New Orleans. There's a black humour throughout the movie, but it wraps up so absurdly neatly that I can't help but just laugh along as the plot becomes the joke.

Arrival
    Shutter Island (
    though the twist ending was a little predictable tbh
    )

Advertisement