Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Movies with great endings\twists

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

krudler wrote: »

Fight Club as well, even on the 3rd viewing you spot new references to Tylers true identity, "sometimes Tyler spoke for me" etc etc

I was going to mention Fight Club as a movie twist that didn't work for me, kind of lost interest at that point as it was no longer believable. Although I did like the "Where is My Mind" very last scene.

But Signs has to be the worst of the worst. Or The Happening.

Best comedy "twist" ending - Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Best twist...Right At Your Door

One of the finest films I've ever seen with a disgraceful 6.2 on IMDB. Watch it, love it, thank me when you can! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Surveillance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Morlar wrote: »
    No way out - for me tops the list.

There's at least 3 films with that title. Do you mean this one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

To live and die in LA. not so much twist but a totally unexpected ending.

L.A Confidential had a decent enough twist.

There's at least 3 films with that title. Do you mean this one?

The costner one indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Just thought of "Fracture" with Anthony Hopkins & Ryan Gosling.

It is a brilliantly clever film...
    "I killed my wife, prove it"
    . Hopkins is fantastic, has a real smug\cocky way about him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Great Endings

Batman Begins:
    Nolan had already given us a fantastic film, the ending was just the icing. Perfectly captured the selflessness of what Batman does (not in it to be liked or given praise), Gordon's escalation speech, and then the casual reveal that the Joker is on the prowl. Awesome.

Shawshank Redemption: I'm a sucker for happy endings, what can I say?

Terminator 2: Only film where a man is allowed to cry. :(:p

Twists

Gran Torino:
    I think we were all expecting a shoot out which Clint would ridiculously win, instead we get an ending that just stumps you at first, but then when you think about it you realise just have clever it was. Clint broke a lifetime of cliches there.

American History X: Shocking and heart-breaking, that's all you can say really.

The Mist: Damn you, damn you all to hell! :mad: Moodiest ending ever, but damn it was it compelling.

The Departed:
    I still can't figure out Dignam's role, was he seeking vengeance for the deaths of William and Queenan, or was he seeking vengeance for Costello?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

No spoilers! Or use spoiler tags at least.

I didn't reveal anything, that quote is given in the trailer...it sets the film up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

Endaaaagh wrote: »
    The ending to Arlington Road..for me, a real ":eek:" moment

Thats a good call

Fight club is good,
    if not a bit dissapointing that Ed Norton survives, both should of died

Sixth Sense was really good, I liked the flash backs to show you the clues

Se7en is a good ending
    Letting John Doe complete the 7 sins

The Usual Suspects is terrible
    the gold lighter
    gives it away in the first 5 minutes

At the time Scream
    having 2 killers
    was a good twist/variation on the genre

I liked 'Tin Cup'
    Blowing it all just to make the shot

12 Monkeys is good too
    Bruce Willis' nightmares are of him seeing himself die

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

krudler wrote: »
    The Prestige for me, not the
    Bale being a twin
    part but the
    machines abilities and Jackman being Lord Cadlow all along
    . Its really one of those movies that demands multiple viewings and it gets better every time, its also really hard to decide who to root for between the two protagonists
    Ah, but technically
    there are 3 protagonists. When you think of it like that its pretty easy to know who to root for. But the first time I saw the film I admit I was torn up until the Lord Cadlow reveal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Presumed Innocent (Harrison Ford) had a decent twist at the end:
    The wife did it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The 13th Floor
    Equilibrium

Wohoo! 1000th post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Odd nobody mentioned The Dark Knight, was a refreshing downbeat ending for such a blockbuster film
    Batman taking the blame for the murders, nothing really had been accomplished thanks to The Joker and 2 known characters were dead

The Mist (Though I Tom Jane's acting really irritated me)
    The Usual Suspects
    Fight Club - Using The Pixies to close off the film was a genius idea.
    The Departed
    Leo getting shot in the head just came outta nowhere, I was honestly stumped when it happened.
    Se7en
    Terminator 2 - Seeing Arnie give the thumbs-up still leaves me with a lump in the throat :( Brilliant how Cameron changed a cold villian into a guy you felt horrible for when he was being lowered to his end.
    Mystic River -
    Had me twisted all along aas to whether Tim Robbins was innocent or not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Duggy747 wrote: »
    The Mist (Though I Tom Jane's acting really irritated me)

Yeah, there was something unintentionally comical about his reaction at the end.
    Mystic River -
    Had me twisted all along aas to whether Tim Robbins was innocent or not
    Good call, forgot about that one, felt horrible for Dave, and even though Jimmy lost his daughter, I kind of ended up thinking he was a thug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭Wossack

I didn't reveal anything, that quote is given in the trailer...it sets the film up

aye, infact I believe its the tag line for the film

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭clusk007

A Time to Kill made me go :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Endaaaagh wrote: »
    The ending to Arlington Road..for me, a real ":eek:" moment
    I was thinking of that too: one of those depressing "there is no justice" moments.

Another was Brazil - sort-of.
    "He's gone" - with a smile.
    :(

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

I think there has been a good few films where the film-makers have specifialy asked audiences not to reveal the endings (obviously that should go for ever film).

two of them are
    The Crying Game
    Fatal Attraction (Michael Douglas, Glenn Close 1987). Audiences who believed themselves to be intelligent and sophisticated were shocked by the ending.

Pyscho should suprise everybody when they see it, I don't believe them if a viewer claims they worked it out before the end. It may have been another 'request for secrecy' film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Layer Cake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Ridley

Infernal Affairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

My favourite ending:

The Italian Job.

The original, of course. Classic. It was on telly last week and I watched the last 10 mins with my 8-year old daughter, explaining what was going on. When it ended, we spent about an hour talking over what could happen next. I've thought about that film so many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

I like the ending of Friday the 13th. In fact I like the idea of movies that
    seem to be set in the "real" world only to be turned on their head in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

LiamMc wrote: »
    Fatal Attraction (Michael Douglas, Glenn Close 1987). Audiences who believed themselves to be intelligent and sophisticated were shocked by the ending.

The film that had to be re-shoot the ending, after testing the film, to dumb it down?:eek: It was a cheap schlock ending IMHO. I think any intelligent person that was shocked by the ending was because it was so overblown and unrealistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭electro-shocks

Secret Window
    Session 9
    Frailty
    The Mist
    Eden Lake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Has to be the Usual Suspects. After that the Last Seduction which really had a terrific ending. As femme fatales go Linda Fiorentino's Brigid Gregory character was as good as its gets

Has to be the Usual Suspects. After that the Last Seduction which really had a terrific ending. As femme fatales go Linda Fiorentino's Brigid Gregory character was as good as its gets

That was an incredible movie alright and she stole the show. I couldn't look at her the same way after her ballymun accent in the General though.

That was an incredible movie alright and she stole the show. I couldn't look at her the same way after her ballymun accent in the General though.
    Was that the one with Kevin Spacey as well. Made a point of avoiding that film straight away.

Was that the one with Kevin Spacey as well. Made a point of avoiding that film straight away.

FAIR yep. A strong nominee for the worst Irish accent in the history of cinema/the universe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

FAIR yep. A strong nominee for the worst Irish accent in the history of cinema/the universe.

That was Ordinary Decent Criminal which was more or less based on The General, or the story of Martin Cahill.

The General was the one with Brendan Gleeson and was supposedly a biography of Martin Cahill. Brendan Gleeson gave a great performance in this btw.

That was Ordinary Decent Criminal which was more or less based on The General, or the story of Martin Cahill.

The General was the one with Brendan Gleeson and was supposedly a biography of Martin Cahill. Brendan Gleeson gave a great performance in this btw.
    Yes Gleeson was incredible in that movie. Tour de force stuff. No need to watch any other version after that.
    And speaking of Spacey again, Se7en was another film that just totally ****ed with the viewer in terms of the ending. Just didnt expect it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Yes Gleeson was incredible in that movie. Tour de force stuff. No need to watch any other version after that.
    And speaking of Spacey again, Se7en was another film that just totally ****ed with the viewer in terms of the ending. Just didnt expect it at all.

I rember seeing it in the cinema, was only 15 at the time so snuck in :D and there was this air of disbelief and general WTF? from the audience when
    Spacey just strolls into the police station and surrenders
    it completely flew in the face of every other cop thriller you'd ever seen to that point, where it had previously looked like it was going to reach a natural conclusion of they'd catch him before the seventh murder or some such, it spun the audience on their heads. You could feel the atmoshpere in the cinema change as people were wondering just where this movie was going to wind up and how it was going to end. And to think the original ending was going to be
    A chase to Mill's apartment as John Doe was trying to break in and kill Tracy
    , Brad Pitt fought to keep the proper ending as he said in an interview with David Fincher "even if the movie does terrible box office, in a few years it'll always be remembered as that movie you saw on late night tv with
    a head in a box
    "

Has anyone not actually seen Se7en? theres some movies being mentioned here that you'd wonder how people cant possible know the ending, I know a girl who gave out to me for mentioning the ending of The Sixth Sense only about a year ago:confused: its one of the most famous endings of all time! surely even if you'd never seen the movie you would have heard about it in pop culture or someone talking about it in the last 10 years since its release

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Ridley

I should probably mention Infernal Affairs III aswell.

Raiders of the Lost Ark's ending has to be up there with the best of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The Neverending Story
    It ended!
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

The Usual Suspects:
    Was the first film I had ever seen where there was a rather clever twist at the end. I was blown away at the time but after watching it recently it didnt seem as well done

Oldboy:
    I had no idea where this film was going and I was wondering why people had recommended it to me. Then BAM, the end totally messed my head up.

The Matrix Reloaded:
    I quite liked the twist with the architect at the end where you find out its all been done before. Pity the rest of film itself was crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Lucky Number Slevin

The Usual Suspects

Seven

Arlington Road-not so much a twist, just enjoyed the non hollywood ending

12 Monkeys

Primal Fear

Saw 1

Fight Club

Planet Of The Apes

Psycho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

kryogen wrote: »

Planet Of The Apes

Depending on which one. The original one always stuck me as a bit strange.
    He seems to know he is on Earth prior to seeing the statue
    is always how I saw the film. I really always liked it none the less. The remake ending was terrible.

The whole original film series all had good endings bar the last one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I might get hammered for this,
    It's a fairly recent film, A Perfect Getaway, not actually THAT good a film and I had spotted the twist fairly early on, but it does have a very good twist at the end.

Its not as good a film overall though as those already mentioned however.

• Advertisement

Another good one is the Pledge with Jack Nicholson. Really creepy ending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

French film called Counter Investigation

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the end of Staten Island is brilliant, quite an obvious twist but very moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

I think the most satisfactory ending to a movie I have seen is the final scene of The Lives Of Others.
    Nein. Es ist für mich..and the slight smile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Other than the obvious choices listed in this thread Session 9 is not so well known film (with a good, not so surprising but excellently executed twist) that needs more recognition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

kippy wrote: »
    It's a fairly recent film, A Perfect Getaway, not actually THAT good a film and I had spotted the twist fairly early on, but it does have a very good twist at the end.

How is it a good twist, if you see it coming early on?

I saw the twist coming miles away and it just made the film even worse.
    The whole point of a good twist is that you don't see it coming.

My film with a great ending/twist is No Way Out http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093640/, definitely worth a look if you're interested in these sort of films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

The Usual Suspects.
    The Sixth Sense.
    The Boy In The Striped Pajamas-only saw it recently and had never read the book-wow ending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭fluke

kippy wrote: »

I thought it was decent enough, not classic but so what. neat enough twist even if a little predictable. For instance The Prestige was a bit predictable but that was still enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Fight Club
    The Empire Strikes Back
    The Departed
    Shawshank Redemption

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Okay I've had to wrap spoiler tags on a fair few posts (I should have been keeping a better eye on this thread to be fair). Please, no matter how well known the film/ending/twist is, if you want to mention what happens just stick spoiler tags on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

The best:
    The Usual Suspects
    Seven
    The Sixth Sense

Worst:
    The Book Of Eli :
    Eli is blind, and the 'book' is in braille. You are meant to believe that all of Eli's incredible actions where the work of God.

• Advertisement
Advertisement