Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-Cigarettes - The original thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

This might be a silly question also - but do Ego, Tornado and Riva have interchangeable pieces???
    I'm still waiting for my Tornado to arrive but I've just been checking out website for costs of all the bits and bobs and it seems that TECC and Totally Wicked are the only sites that have the tornado things but tend to be the dearest (apart from the tecc sale at the mo!).
    I've come across lots of sites for e-liquids and mixers and refills, but I'm just trying to source cheaper atomizers, batteries and atomizer cones - if anyone has any links to these, please post them up, thanks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

nesf..Yeah I thought of that too :( But I have another question...if the Tornado 1000mAh battery needs an adapter to fit mains charger I got with the 510...will I have to use the same adapter for it to screw on to the atty??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

This might be a silly question also - but do Ego, Tornado and Riva have interchangeable pieces???
    I'm still waiting for my Tornado to arrive but I've just been checking out website for costs of all the bits and bobs and it seems that TECC and Totally Wicked are the only sites that have the tornado things but tend to be the dearest (apart from the tecc sale at the mo!).
    I've come across lots of sites for e-liquids and mixers and refills, but I'm just trying to source cheaper atomizers, batteries and atomizer cones - if anyone has any links to these, please post them up, thanks:D

Ego and Tornado are exactly the same product. The Riva is a copy and as such the cone might not match across brands but a 510 atty will always fit a battery with a 510 connection which include Ego/Tornado/Riva.

TECC and Totally Wicked are co-owned by the same guy so they are the only suppliers that do the Tornado as it's their chosen brand name. Most other Vendors sell the Ego which is the offial name of the Janty product that everyone is simply re-selling whether they call it Tornado or Ego.

As to sourcing cheap stuff have a look back the some of the links earlier in the thread. The cheapest is probably Eastmall at the moment or any of the other Chinese sites. You have to wait a while but you will save cash.

http://www.bestecig.com/ - Do all the BE copies (BE510 etc.)
    http://www.eastmall.net - Riva ($40) 5 510s for $20, 5 Low Resistance 510s for $15 and so on.
    http://www.healthcabin.net - Ego Battery ($18), 510 attys ($8.50)
    http://heaven-gifts.com - almost the exact same as Healthcabin.

Liquids are all quite cheap too on the above but the best is Lightinthebox (50ml of standard chinese liquid for $9.99)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

O'Prez wrote: »
    nesf..Yeah I thought of that too :( But I have another question...if the Tornado 1000mAh battery needs an adapter to fit mains charger I got with the 510...will I have to use the same adapter for it to screw on to the atty??

I don't know why Totally Wicked/TECC decided to go down this charger adapter route. A USB charger for the Tornado/Ego is a must. You will get the USB charger in an Ego kit but not in a Tornado kit which is as I say a bad move imo. In any case the adapter is so the Tornado battery will fit in a standard 510 charger nothing else. It's not compatible for some reason but the adapter has nothing to do with a 510 fitting on Tornado battery.

The USB charger will charge your Tornado/Ego battery in a bout 90 minutes while the adapter on an old 510 charger take 2 or 3 times that.

Thanks for that mewso, very informative as usual - it's great to know for definite - instead of my guess work here:D

• Advertisement

Thanks for that mewso, very informative as usual - it's great to know for definite - instead of my guess work here:D

No problem. A lot of other English sites do the Ego or Riva for varying prices and if you wanted stuff quick obviously they are the better option than China. I think the Tornado/Ego/Riva will completely replace the standard 510 kits now. I think we are moving past this need to have something that resembles a real cigarette and thankfully manufacturers are concentrating on producing kits that work really well straight off for a decent amount of time. This will reduce the number of instances of people trying a product and not sticking with it because it was crap. Well hopefully.

mewso wrote: »
    I don't know why Totally Wicked/TECC decided to go down this charger adapter route. A USB charger for the Tornado/Ego is a must. You will get the USB charger in an Ego kit but not in a Tornado kit which is as I say a bad move imo. In any case the adapter is so the Tornado battery will fit in a standard 510 charger nothing else. It's not compatible for some reason but the adapter has nothing to do with a 510 fitting on Tornado battery.

The USB charger will charge your Tornado/Ego battery in a bout 90 minutes while the adapter on an old 510 charger take 2 or 3 times that.

Jaysus mewso you and a few of the other lads should start your own site on all this lark! Great info as usual. I'm thinking for now I might get that Old Hoborn from OK Smokey and a USB passthrough from them aswell seeing as the p&p is only a couple of quid and I'm stuck in front of this thing 99% of the time. I'll definitely pick up a battery and USB charger next week though.

Jaysus mewso you and a few of the other lads should start your own site on all this lark! Great info as usual. I'm thinking for now I might get that Old Hoborn from OK Smokey and a USB passthrough from them aswell seeing as the p&p is only a couple of quid and I'm stuck in front of this thing 99% of the time. I'll definitely pick up a battery and USB charger next week though.

Ha I'm happy to check UK Vapers for all the latest info. Better folk than me are running the websites. Anyway I have misgivings about certain passthroughs without inline batteries. I don't know what type OKS sell. Nothing serious but a 510 PT without an inline battery may need over 2000mA (millamps) from the USB socket which a PC can't supply (USB is rated for 500mA only). So again I don't really know the implications for that. I have used passthroughs without any issues but right now I'm eying up the new Ego USB Battery which seems like a great option.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Jaysus mewso you and a few of the other lads should start your own site on all this lark! .

Better still I wonder would the admins sanction an e-smoking/vaping forum on Boards.

We could always request one here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=461

Im not really sure if vaping belongs in the "Giving up Smoking forum"--anyone else agree????

Nesf and Mewso for mods!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67232147#post67232147

Right we need all the support we can get.Get posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Im not really sure if vaping belongs in the "Giving up Smoking forum"--anyone else agree????

I agree, it's more of an alternative like snuff or snus than a giving up smoking method if you think about it.

I don't like to see vendors calling it a "giving up smoking" product because it invites medical legislation which I think would do more harm than good but I can't hide the fact that I and many others who take up vaping have stopped smoking.

I have no big objections to a vaping forum or even moderating it but I would worry that smokers might not find this kind of information and regardless of what vaping is or isn't it is of greatest benefit to smokers who want to improve their health be that by stopping or by finding a safer alternative. In that sense being in this forum serves a valuable purpose imo. Think how many people in here who might never have heard of e-cigs only for looking in this forum.

Perhaps as a sub-forum of this forum?

I don't like to see vendors calling it a "giving up smoking" product because it invites medical legislation which I think would do more harm than good but I can't hide the fact that I and many others who take up vaping have stopped smoking.

I have no big objections to a vaping forum or even moderating it but I would worry that smokers might not find this kind of information and regardless of what vaping is or isn't it is of greatest benefit to smokers who want to improve their health be that by stopping or by finding a safer alternative. In that sense being in this forum serves a valuable purpose imo. Think how many people in here who might never have heard of e-cigs only for looking in this forum.

Perhaps as a sub-forum of this forum?

I agree with you but the problem with it being a sub-forum of this forum is that we wouldn't get traffic from smokers who don't want to quit. Perhaps a sub forum here and a "link sub-forum" from Smoking (though the mods there might/probably would disagree).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Count1

Hi Count1 - just wondering how you got it for £10 p&p on theelectroniccigarette.co.uk, I'm in on the site now and its costing £16.99 p&p which seems abit much?

Hey, just logged in and they seem to have changed the delivery chrge upwards to £16.99 which is well steep. Have you tried emailing them?

Count1 wrote: »
    Hey, just logged in and they seem to have changed the delivery chrge upwards to £16.99 which is well steep. Have you tried emailing them?

No didn't email them - just went ahead and paid the £16.99 postage - ordered a good bit of them so it still works out cheaper even with the high postage costs!!

nesf wrote: »
    I agree with you but the problem with it being a sub-forum of this forum is that we wouldn't get traffic from smokers who don't want to quit. Perhaps a sub forum here and a "link sub-forum" from Smoking (though the mods there might/probably would disagree).

I would predict smokers who don't want to quit having zero interest in vaping but I could be wrong.

I would predict smokers who don't want to quit having zero interest in vaping but I could be wrong.

I didn't really want to quit. I enjoyed the habit and sensation of smoking. What I found in the e-cigarette was a perfect replacement for the cigarette rather than a means to quit the habit. :)

I didn't really want to quit. I enjoyed the habit and sensation of smoking. What I found in the e-cigarette was a perfect replacement for the cigarette rather than a means to quit the habit. :)

Hmm I don't know. Is that really what happened or was part of you accepting you might have to stop at some point for health reasons etc. I just find unapologetic smokers pretty determined.

Hmm I don't know. Is that really what happened or was part of you accepting you might have to stop at some point for health reasons etc. I just find unapologetic smokers pretty determined.

Yeah I was more one of those smokers who was aware of all the health risks but found it impossible to quit the habit etc.

No didn't email them - just went ahead and paid the £16.99 postage - ordered a good bit of them so it still works out cheaper even with the high postage costs!!

Good luck with it! I found they shipped my order immediately and I received it in record time which was great. Disappointing to see them upping the delivery charge though.

• Advertisement

So four/five days in on my e-cig tornado and the only complaint I have is that the prefilled cartridges (carts) dont last very long at all. But I have ordered more and expect delivery tomorrow.

So far I have absolutely no pangs for analogs (hehe:D:D) It takes a little longer for the nicotine craving to be sated but I actually enjoy the whole rigmarole and I still go outside so I continue to feel the whole "social pariah" thing! :p

I will look into filling my own carts in due course but I just want to get the hang of one thing at a time.

Count1 wrote: »
    So four/five days in on my e-cig tornado and the only complaint I have is that the prefilled cartridges (carts) dont last very long at all. But I have ordered more and expect delivery tomorrow.

So far I have absolutely no pangs for analogs (hehe:D:D) It takes a little longer for the nicotine craving to be sated but I actually enjoy the whole rigmarole and I still go outside so I continue to feel the whole "social pariah" thing! :p

I will look into filling my own carts in due course but I just want to get the hang of one thing at a time.

Try direct dripping of fluid directly into the atty. Remove the cart and put three drops down the centre of the atomiser and you have vaping perfection for a while. Redrip as needed.

Honestly, once I started I've not used carts again, far better experience as a dripper.

Try direct dripping of fluid directly into the atty. Remove the cart and put three drops down the centre of the atomiser and you have vaping perfection for a while. Redrip as needed.

Honestly, once I started I've not used carts again, far better experience as a dripper.

Thanks a mill for the suggestion. Will order some this week.

I'm in the same boat as the Count. The carts are really p*ss poor and have already ordered a 50ml bottle of Old Holborn juice with the intention of direct dripping. nesf...does it make much difference if the cart is empty or has the foamy stuff in it while direct dripping and also in your experience...does direct dripping in any way boll*x up the atty?

I'm in the same boat as the Count. The carts are really p*ss poor and have already ordered a 50ml bottle of Old Holborn juice with the intention of direct dripping. nesf...does it make much difference if the cart is empty or has the foamy stuff in it while direct dripping and also in your experience...does direct dripping in any way boll*x up the atty?

It doesn't matter whether there's filler in it or not but it's "cleaner" to have no filler.

You won't damage an atty by dripping so long as you don't neglect to drip when needed. You'll know when you need to drip because you'll get a burning/nasty/bad smoke kind of taste from the vapour when you do. Or you can redrip when the flavour diminishes a lot. Your first few puffs after dripping will be very flavourful and this diminishes over time.

Also I strongly suggest picking up a drip tip if you decide you like dripping, they make life *a lot* easier. Plus they're dirt cheap. :)

It doesn't matter whether there's filler in it or not but it's "cleaner" to have no filler.

You won't damage an atty by dripping so long as you don't neglect to drip when needed. You'll know when you need to drip because you'll get a burning/nasty/bad smoke kind of taste from the vapour when you do. Or you can redrip when the flavour diminishes a lot. Your first few puffs after dripping will be very flavourful and this diminishes over time.

Also I strongly suggest picking up a drip tip if you decide you like dripping, they make life *a lot* easier. Plus they're dirt cheap. :)

Thanx nesf. I should have some liquid here tomorrow so a-dripping I shall go. When I order the 1000mAH battery and charger this week I'll pick up a drip tip too. Thanx for the *ahem* tip!

I went down to the chemist earlier and bought a syringe. When I'm not getting a drag out of the cart anymore I take out the filler and put it in the syringe and use it as a dripper and it works a treat! Loads of liquid left em and nesf yer right...much better and more consistent drags out of direct dripping :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

can some one help me please!!!I wanna buy one of these for my dad because all else has failed to get him to give up.

He smokes 20-30 John Player a day, can someone tell me what is most like smoking them??
    In simple terms please!!
    Do i just buy blank filters and juice to re-fill and how?? I really havent a clue

thanks

LeahBaby wrote: »
    can some one help me please!!!I wanna buy one of these for my dad because all else has failed to get him to give up.

He smokes 20-30 John Player a day, can someone tell me what is most like smoking them??
    In simple terms please!!
    Do i just buy blank filters and juice to re-fill and how?? I really havent a clue

thanks

First things first it won't be identical to smoking in flavour etc. As far as I am concerned if the smoker wants to stop then they will get over the differences so hopefully your Dad wants to stop.

Buy a starter kit of a model. The current best model imo is the Tornado/Ego. If your Dad likes it he can take it further from there. I would strongly urge buying a small bottle of liquid to go with it because if he does like it then he may find the cartridges (you get 5 with a starter kit) running out quickly. With some liquid he can simply pop a few drops into one of the used cartridges.

Tornado
    Ego

The Tornado is on 50% sale at TECC but shipping is £16.99. Still probably works out cheaper than the Ego at the moment so grab a 5ml bottle or two of different flavours. for more info. read through this thread or get your Dad to read it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

First things first it won't be identical to smoking in flavour etc. As far as I am concerned if the smoker wants to stop then they will get over the differences so hopefully your Dad wants to stop.

Buy a starter kit of a model. The current best model imo is the Tornado/Ego. If your Dad likes it he can take it further from there. I would strongly urge buying a small bottle of liquid to go with it because if he does like it then he may find the cartridges (you get 5 with a starter kit) running out quickly. With some liquid he can simply pop a few drops into one of the used cartridges.

Tornado
    Ego

The Tornado is on 50% sale at TECC but shipping is £16.99. Still probably works out cheaper than the Ego at the moment so grab a 5ml bottle or two of different flavours. for more info. read through this thread or get your Dad to read it.

Thanks Mewso!! he defo wants to quit, and has before but he is a taxi driver and gets bored at work so starts smoking again!!!

Do i have to clean out primer or something when i get it?

Im grateful for the info!

Advertisement