Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WPP1 / WPP2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭saol alainn

the_syco wrote: »
    Agreed, but at the same time, this could then be seen as a long term option for the employee, as they'd be getting €300 a week.

I understand what you're saying, but if a time-limit was imposed, it cannot become a long-term option. Also, for instance, once one has done a WPP stint, they cannot get onto the scheme again for another 6/8 months. That way the employer cannot keep using cheap labour and the employee will know it's just a short-term thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I meant the building trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Im currently doing a 2 year masters and need to find summer work placement. Since January I've been trying to find a company to take me on but have had no luck.

I was looking at the fas placement programme (WPP1) and came across a role that looked like it might provide me with relevant experience and practical skills. Im a full time student so Im not registered with fas. I contacted the company directly and enquired about the possibility of summer placement with them. They got back to me and I must go for an interview with them in a few weeks.

So basically this has nothing to do with fas, BUT the point I'm making is that by advertising these positions like this, doesnt it allow for companies such as this to actively advertise that their looking to take on free workers??

I wont be able to claim the dole as I'm still gonna be registered as a full time student over the duration of the summer, yet ill be travelling in excess of 100km round trip per day to attend work and I'll have no way of paying for this should I be hired.

Its fair to say: life's a b1tch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

I should add, this is a state run organization too ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

:mad:

Office Manager (WPP1)
    Description:
    Area of activity offered: Office operations - office management. Elements of experience offered: Computer work - checking emails daily and responding either on own initiative or as a required. Development of PowerPoint presentations. General filing - computer and hard copy. Tracking developments on sister company - especially as we roll out a new UK operations and recruit new personnel. Editing of managing directors PHD thesis. Book-keeping - keeping the bank statements filed and keeping the accounts aside for the accountant. Basic position on SAGE. Person specification: University graduate (ideally with BA, BSc or post graduate)with office experience. Candidate will need to be comfortable with Microsoft office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook). Familiarity with SAGE advantageous.
    Description:
    Area of Activity: Event management/accounts department. Elements of Experience offered: marketing, sales, event management, payroll, accounts. Person Specification: motivated, hard working, imaginative. A good knowledge of both marketing and business finance is required.
    Description:
    Area of Activity: Finance department - organisation of fundraising activities. Elements of Experience: Event management. Direct marketing. Campaign organisation. Office administration. Membership services. Political organisation. Person Specification: Strong communication skills, MS Office proficient, self-motivated with experience of organising fundraising or campaigns.

Applicants may e-mail a CV to recruitment@labour.ie
    Description:
    Area of activity in which placement is offered: Rentokil pest control. Successful candidate will gain experience in dealing with customers, running extensive reports and learning how to create documentation. Elements of experience offered: Website administration. Documentation control. Credit Control. General administration. Person specification: Highly motivated individual who is able to take direction and capable of understanding requests and work to guided instructions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

I am going to make it my mission that that person never recieves their phd.

Any link to the job?

Got it.

http://jobbank.fas.ie/servlet/Watis?SESS=52691_7&SERVICE=CRITERIUMBROWSE&TEMPLATE=WWW_JS_VAC_CRITERIUM_BROWSE.HTM&ROW=11&BACK=TEMPLATE%3DWWW_JS_VAC_CRITERIUM_OVERVIEW.HTM

Your PhD thesis is meant to be entirely your own.

Here he is, Patrick Shallow.

http://www.finalysis.ie/FinalysisInternational/The-Team.html

img_teamport_ire_pat.jpg
    So he bought his PhD from the Smurfit school. I will just find out who their accreditation is from. UCD it seems. Time for a nice little email.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Any link to the job?

Got it.

http://jobbank.fas.ie/servlet/Watis?SESS=52691_7&SERVICE=CRITERIUMBROWSE&TEMPLATE=WWW_JS_VAC_CRITERIUM_BROWSE.HTM&ROW=11&BACK=TEMPLATE%3DWWW_JS_VAC_CRITERIUM_OVERVIEW.HTM

img_teamport_ire_pat.jpg
    So he bought his PhD from the Smurfit school. I will just find out who their accreditation is from. UCD it seems. Time for a nice little email.
    heh heh

Keep us updated!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Any link to the job?

Got it.

img_teamport_ire_pat.jpg

+1......ha ha

But I reckon, if he looses his pHd/ business credibility he can still make a living as Michael Cane's stunt double.........

loctite wrote: »
    +1......ha ha

But I reckon, if he looses his pHd/ business credibility he can still make a living as Michael Cane's stunt double.........
    ha, I was going to go with Martin Sheen myself. Just sent an email to the Dean of Smurfit, Pres of UCD, a good few ministers, all the papers, and various radio shows. All nicely cc'ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bodega

This issue has been raised in the Dail by Labour Party TD Sean Sherlock just to let you know it is one some of our politicians radar

This is what was said:

"I raise this matter to highlight the potential for exploitation within the work placement programme. I call on the Tánaiste and Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment, Deputy Mary Coughlan, to instigate a review of the programme to ensure this does not take place.
    "I understand that many employers have signed up for this scheme, under which they can employ a full-time worker for free. It does not cost the employer a penny; the Department foots the bill by offering those who secure a place on the programme a weekly payment of approximately €200, which is considerably less than the minimum wage.
    "The aim of the scheme is to allow graduates and other persons to learn a new skill and gain experience, which is important in the current climate. However, many of the job advertisements under the work placement programme specify that the candidate must be experienced and, in some cases, that he or she must be able to work unsupervised.
    "This defeats the purpose of the programme. There are currently over 800 work placement programme jobs listed in the FÁS jobs bank. Among these positions are sales representatives, receptionists, caretakers, laundry operatives and construction workers.
    "There is a six- to nine-month training period for each of these jobs. The question arises of whether working in a laundry for six to nine months will offer any real progression and thus whether such jobs are of any real value for graduates. This is why I am seeking the review. It is evident to me that the work placement programme could be used as a means of exploiting well-qualified employees by providing work that offers no real opportunity for advancement.
    "For graduates who have no previous experience of their chosen field and who do not qualify for a social welfare payment, the work placement programme has its merits. For others, this programme offers absolutely no benefit but actually comes at a cost when travelling expenses are deducted from the already meagre payment of €200 per week.
    "The only winner here is the employer, who gets a worker for up to nine months for nothing. The Minister must revisit this scheme urgently, as FÁS is giving the green light to employ staff for work under the guise of a training scheme for which candidates are grossly overqualified. She should also consider requiring the employer to pay some salary or expenses so the person is at least earning a living wage while working a full week.
    "We argue that they should at least be earning the minimum wage, if that is possible. A testimonial on the scheme was posted on boards.ie: "I think the work placement programme is a good idea but a person would only be earning the €196 (paid by the social welfare) for a full week's work. While I agree that any kind of work looks better on your CV this small amount of money has made the uptake of this programme very slow".
    "In essence we are seeking to prevent the exploitation of workers. If the scheme is designed so that people can progress and use whatever skills they have to advance in the workplace, even if they are only retaining their social welfare benefits, it should be a real advance and should not be used by employers to advertise jobs that involve no real upskilling. I hope the Tánaiste will at least review this scheme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Kind of ironic that a Labour TD is bringing it up, when the Labour party have a somewhat questionable WPP1 job up on the site!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Bodega wrote: »
    "The only winner here is the employer, who gets a worker for up to nine months for nothing. The Minister must revisit this scheme urgently, as FÁS is giving the green light to employ staff for work under the guise of a training scheme for which candidates are grossly overqualified. She should also consider requiring the employer to pay some salary or expenses so the person is at least earning a living wage while working a full week.
    ...and to show how much they dislike it, they join in...
    miec wrote: »
    Fundraising Officer (WPP1)
    Description:
    Area of Activity: Finance department - organisation of fundraising activities. Elements of Experience: Event management. Direct marketing. Campaign organisation. Office administration. Membership services. Political organisation. Person Specification: Strong communication skills, MS Office proficient, self-motivated with experience of organising fundraising or campaigns.

Applicants may e-mail a CV to recruitment@labour.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bodega

I wasn't aware of the Labour party job. Found his comments while searching for info about the scheme. Also found this from a Cork FF Councillor. Was trying to ascertain if it was on anyones radar as an issue as my husband was interested in a job which would have been ideal but again it was one of these wpp1 schemes by the time expenses were taken out of his 196euro just wouldn't be feasible. Can't believe they are getting away with it. Apparently 1 in 3 of all jobs on FAS now fall under this programme
    Work placement programm e should be re-examined

Tags: Cork, FAS, Ireland, Kenneth O'Flynn, politics, Work Placement Programme
    fas-150x150.jpgNORTH side councillor Kenneth O’Flynn has called upon the Minister for Enterprise Trade and Innovation to re-examine the Work Placement Programme which is currently being operated by FÁS.
    “The Work Placement Programme offers unemployed people, including unemployed graduates, the opportunity to obtain nine months work experience while on a work placement with a company. While on the work placement participants retain their social welfare status and entitlements.
    “At present the programme is divided between WPP1 for unemployed graduates who have attained a full award at level seven or above on the National Framework of Qualifications. WPP2 is aimed towards unemployed people who have not attained a full award at level seven or above on the National Framework of Qualifications.
    “As it stands at present there is a three to one uptake in the programme by WPP1 over WPP2.
    “Hardly a week goes by when people come to me to and ask about this programme and express an interest in partaking in it. The majority of these people would fit into the WPP2 category; however they do not pick up on it, as they cannot meet the costs that go with work such as food and transport.
    “That is why I have called upon the Minister to introduce a food and transport allowance to go with the scheme to encourage more people to partake in it.”
    “The WPP is designed to offer unemployed people, the opportunity to obtain a number of months work experience in a work situation. Participants gain experience so they can gain experience so that they can keep their skills fresh and relevant to the job market.
    “For recent graduates, they have an opportunity to apply their skill in a work situation and to get real work experience to add to their qualification.”
    Cllr O’Flynn encouraged anyone interested in availing of the scheme to contact their local FÁS office or to visit www.fas.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭clarelad

Hi,

I have an interview for a WPP1 position on friday,its a position i am interested in but it seems a bit suspect! It was first put up on the fas site in September 2009,just wondering why they are taking so long to fill the position,has anyone experience with doing the WPP?

clarelad wrote: »
    Hi,

I have an interview for a WPP1 position on friday,its a position i am interested in but it seems a bit suspect! It was first put up on the fas site in September 2009,just wondering why they are taking so long to fill the position,has anyone experience with doing the WPP?

Hahaha, as predicted. They are on their second round of free work. The first guy was told to shift as soon as they had to pay him.

Hahaha, as predicted. They are on their second round of free work. The first guy was told to shift as soon as they had to pay him.

haha ur prob right,maybe its not worth my while attending the interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,479 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Despite the fact that all placements are for 9 months? And despite the fact that the position has been up on the fas website the whole time?
    Hi,

Could be any of a number of reasons, but I suspect that top of the list is lack of applicants. If you think the position will give you good experience, go for it. You can always walk away at any time with no consequences if it's not a good fit for you

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

haha ur prob right,maybe its not worth my while attending the interview!

go and ask them why it took so long or mention it and ask will there be a paid position at the end if your suitable? Tell them if your good enough to work longer than 3 months then you should be paid. 3 months is more than long enough to sum someone up in a workplace

Otherwise look for another WPP with a job at the end of it

go and ask them why it took so long or mention it and ask will there be a paid position at the end if your suitable? Tell them if your good enough to work longer than 3 months then you should be paid. 3 months is more than long enough to sum someone up in a workplace

Otherwise look for another WPP with a job at the end of it

du you think they will tell me the truth if i ask these questions?doubtful:)
    considering the sort of scheme it is,its a gamble really!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Any link to the job?

Got it.

img_teamport_ire_pat.jpg

What a f**king chancer! I hope he never gets it. And how would anyone be so stupid as to trust ANYONE to edit their phD!

• Advertisement

Any link to the job?

Got it.

http://jobbank.fas.ie/servlet/Watis?...M_OVERVIEW.HTM

http://www.finalysis.ie/FinalysisInt.../The-Team.html

Well I can only say fair play to you and one should never underestimate the power of the Internet. I have to say when I was looking on the fas website for a job and I saw these few jobs I saw red but I am so glad I posted them up here. Thank you fellow boardies :D I am also going to send an e-mail to that Labour TD who gave the speech and see if he is aware that his own party is abusing this system.

As for that chancer re: his PhD, he knows there is a plethora of graduates looking for an opportunity and he is seriously on the make. Do you know billybigunz and everyone else, you have made my day. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Any link to the job?

Got it.

img_teamport_ire_pat.jpg

Let us know how you get on. This guy is just unbelievable.

Sent the email last night to a load of ministers, the dean of Smurfit, pres of UCD, all the papers, few radio shows and journalists.

No replies but I requested not to get any as I was just informing them.

Well done, let's hope something will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eliza Lynch

For various reasons I will have to leave my placement early I am just wondering if anyone has had to do this and how it works? Will I get cut off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭donkey balls

For various reasons I will have to leave my placement early I am just wondering if anyone has had to do this and how it works? Will I get cut off?

i dont see why you should get cut off give FAS&DSW a call and explain it to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Sent the email last night to a load of ministers, the dean of Smurfit, pres of UCD, all the papers, few radio shows and journalists.

No replies but I requested not to get any as I was just informing them.

I'm probably asking a really silly question, but is the Smurfit business school one of those mail-order-degree type places?
    Also, I thought he had already finished the PhD so why is he looking for someone to edit it?

Sorry, it's 5am and my brain wound down about 4 hours ago :o

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭katkin

In this 2009 report http://www.fas.ie/NR/rdonlyres/9ABC5EE1-CF20-4AA5-ACA4-C5B81DD9FE5E/793/jobsdownturn.pdf Fas themselves recognise the following:

"It should be emphasised that there is no shortage of persons with suitable formal qualifications (e.g. recent graduates). However, some recruitment agencies were having difficulty finding persons with experience or knowledge of particular aspects of the work. Thus, there was not a shortage of persons with IT qualifications in general, but rather persons with experience with networks or particular software applications (e.g. Java). The same point applies to managers, sales representatives, scientists, engineers, accountants and nurses as outlined in the table below."

And

"1.7 Conclusions
    This section has aimed to highlight areas where jobs are likely to be available during the next year despite the downturn. Skills shortages are now confined to areas of specific expertise and experience (typically for graduates). Occupations in the health and ICT sectors are relatively strongly in demand. There is also an on-going demand for accountants (with expertise in compliance, regulation, risk) and experienced marketing managers. Sales representatives with particular technical skills or experience are also in demand.

There will also be a continued demand for persons for jobs in occupations employing large numbers of people where labour turnover is a continued feature. These are sales assistants, clerical, caring, hairdressing, security and catering. Labour turnover is a characteristic of all occupations so even small occupations will have some vacancies during the next year."

So the original FAS WPP had some justification, but the second one none, in fact they are providing Free employees to potential genuine employers who really need to employ someone in areas where skills or experience shortages are not a problem.

Idiots.

I'm probably asking a really silly question, but is the Smurfit business school one of those mail-order-degree type places?
    Also, I thought he had already finished the PhD so why is he looking for someone to edit it?

Hi Magenta

In answer to your question re: the smurfit school of business, no it is not one of those mail order degree places, it is part of UCD and quite highly respected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 7861213

AS someone who has been on the work placment program, I would advise anyone to consider carefully what you want from the placement. My experience was demeaning in terms of a lack of respect for me as a human being and with the placement having no relevance to the advertised specification for the role.
    Thus I resigned as I felt I was treated as a second class citizen due to my inability to find work. It felt good to be back in society taking the bus to work arriving and leaving having done your hours. However this initial benefit was overtaken by the lack of facilities, training and even common curteousy expected from a work environment.
    I am not a wet behind the ears student, I have numerous years in the workplace.
    Please consider the interview stages for this role as your interview of the company as the role may not match your expectations.
    Im am hoping this helps someone out there not to have the same experience as I encountered. My area is IT and I would not ever do a work placement scheme role again.

Advertisement