Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WPP1 / WPP2

Options
  • 11-01-2010 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I see a lot of jobs advertised on FAS on the Work Placement Programme (WPP).

Has anyone been offered a job under this scheme? Are you still paid whatever you were receiving on the social welfare while working in that particular area?

K
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I've been looking at this too, seem's you work your regular 40 hour week for whatever employer you get and are still entitled to the dole that you're on.
    I haven't been offered a job under this scheme myself but will call into the local office tomorrow and see whats available.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

Hi Op

Yes I enquired about it, you have to be registered with fas and be six months unemployed. You keep your dole payment and gain the required work experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

miec wrote: »
    Hi Op

Yes I enquired about it, you have to be registered with fas and be six months unemployed. You keep your dole payment and gain the required work experience.

This has changed since Dec 1st, you no longer need to be registered / signing on for six months - at least for the graduate schemes at any rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭ContyHooks

Wouldn't people lose money doing this, like travel and other work related expenses? Are people actually paying to work? Or am I missing something here!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Saggitarius

Hi lads,

Im very interested in. Where can I get more -written- information about.

• Advertisement

ContyHooks wrote: »
    Wouldn't people lose money doing this, like travel and other work related expenses? Are people actually paying to work? Or am I missing something here!

yes but the benefits in terms of experience / keeping your skills fresh would likely outweigh the cost in many cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 esween

I think the work placement programme is a good idea but a person would only be effectively earning the 196 euro (paid by the social welfare) for a full weeks work.... ie 35-40 hours a week... while i agree that any kind of work looks better on your CV this small amount of money has made the uptake of this programme very slow...

the outright winner in this programme is the employer as they get staff (whether this is a graduate or experienced worker) for up to nine months for nothing!!!!

in my view for this programme to work the employer should have to pay some salary or 'expenses' so that the person is at least earning the minimum wage!!!!

otherwise someone on this scheme would feel very undervalued and used..
    would like to hear from someone currently on this scheme for their opinion..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It's absolute slave labour. I live in Meath and there are no WPP jobs in my area here, so i'd have to apply for ones in Dublin. Then i'd be out 200 euro or more per month on transport, so i'd have less than 600 euro to live on for the month? No thanks!

Virtually all the I.T. jobs on the Fas website are WPP jobs. It must be fantastic for employers to get staff for free...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

eth0_ wrote: »
    Virtually all the I.T. jobs on the Fas website are WPP jobs. It must be fantastic for employers to get staff for free...

I noticed that too. Its replaced all the starter rung on the ladder, and lower paid jobs almost overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭katkin

Went on the FAS website about ten days ago and nearly every listing was a WPP. However went on it 2 days ago and none, just the usual CE schemes and handful of other jobs so I reckon they moved them to another section of the site. I think its great that graduates can gain experience etc but this scheme is really open to exploitation by employers looking for people to work for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

I have also noticed that there are many IT jobs on this WW1 scheme. I am living in the South East and have been offered a place in Dublin but weighing up the cost of rent and bills etc. I would end up out of pocket. I contacted companies in my local area to see if any of them would be interested in participating in the scheme and none of them were bothered!

Being out of pocket to get experience, isn't that unusual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭ContyHooks

BostonB wrote: »
    Being out of pocket to get experience, isn't that unusual.

I know but these aren't positions which are ultimately gonna lead to a highly lucrative position after the internship. This isn't "pursuit of happiness".

Even in transition year for my 2 weeks work placement in a printing company I was paid a small amount!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

It's one thing advertising these sort of jobs to graduates, but it's quite another thing to expect a person with 3 years of software development experience to essentially work for nothing :eek:

It's feckin' obscene!

http://jobbank.fas.ie/servlet/Watis?SESS=18506_7&REQUEST=WWW_JS_VAC_PREVIOUS_NEXT&ROW=NEXT!3

The idea is that its easier to get a job when your in one. If you can be fussy about it, then you don't need it.

Its far from an ideal scheme, thats for sure. Its going to be abused, I don't disagree, and lots of people are going look down on it, being used to better times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Another few threads on here have picked up on this too and I have to say it really is a depressing state of affairs to see peoples hard work getting unrewarded like this. Okay you get to say that you worked for a few more months on your CV when you usually wouldn't but so what.........that's not going to pay the mortgage, rent, bills, expenses etc.

Btw it's bad enough, but understandable, for start-up's to be taking part in this scheme but when you have large multinationals like Deloitte taking part then it really does reek of desperation and really does highlight what a sh*t state that we are currently in :mad:

Why would a company, any company, not take advantage of it?

Maybe I'm missing something. But whats the difference in terms of paying your bills, between being on WPP or the dole?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Why would a company, any company, not take advantage of it?

Why would a company, any company, not just take graduates on for a minimum wage?
    Maybe I'm missing something. But whats the difference in terms of paying your bills, between being on WPP or the dole?

Or maybe I'm missing something. I was lead to believe that jobs were created to take people off the dole and provide them with the means to pay their own way in society? Why should tax payers foot the bills for some miserable company who won't even cough up a cent for a full time employee?

FAS aren't lining you up as Rody Molloy's replacement are they?

I ask the question because I don't know the specifics being discussed. But I assume in terms of paying a mortgage and other bills you'd be better off on the WPP because you might have many of those bills covered, (its the same as the dole yes?) but on the minimum wage you'd be paying them yourself. Likewise a company pay less for WPP than a Minimum wage employee. So it would make financial sense for them, there maybe be other altruistic reasons for doing it.

Theres limits to how a company takes advantage of it. It probably will be abused. I only commented because I noticed how a most starter roles have switched to WPP. So its closed as many doors for some people as its opened for others.

That said its not 5yrs ago. The market will dictate what these starter roles will be paid, or not paid. Its not the celtic tiger now. Its not what you are worth, but what you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

Well I am glad that I am not the only one who is frustrated with the WPP programme, there are so many openings I could have gone for but I can't because I cannot afford to do it. I don't get the full dole as I live with my partner, I get just under half so I cannot do them.
    But I assume in terms of paying a mortgage and other bills you'd be better off on the WPP because you might have many of those bills covered, (its the same as the dole yes?) but on the minimum wage you'd be paying them yourself.
    If people were offered travelling expenses then the WPP could work but as it currently stands it is not viable. The average person on the dole gets €226 per week, if they live outside Dublin but can commute (which is where most of the vacancies are) they have to pay at least 50 to 70 euros per week on travel. That does not include lunches or other expenses needed for a job, let's say you own a few good suits, make your own lunches to cover that. You need to commit for at least six to nine months, working full time. The travel costs alone take one third of someone's dole money, and they still need to pay for food, heating, electricity and so forth. So it is not economically viable to do this, hence why so many are not doing it. If you get reduced dole like me, your chances are even lower. I would do the scheme if there was one near to where I lived but there isn't like many others here. I think they need to cover people's travel expenses if nothing else and it is a kick in the nuts for those who slogged away in college for years, took out loans, and then be expected to work for nothing except the dole for nearly another year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Saggitarius

As far as I collected some info already, they at SW try to do a "diversion route". I mean by WPP rules, if you just lost your job, you can apply WPP just before claim any Social Welfare payment: "If you are not in receipt of any social welfare payment you can apply immediately for any of the placements advertised."

That's (I mean) the point in first row. Am I right?

miec I can appreciate the frustration. It sound like its not set up to cater for those who would travel. Perhaps they need to revise it again. It would be something to lobby the politicians for. If you did a FAS course you'd get a travel allowance, so I don't see why the WPP shouldn't aswell.

As for working for the dole. People have been arguing for that for years. Also you've been working in college for nothing. Unless you have a grant. Which is more? a grant or dole? I don't know tbh. Many will have no grant in college. So thats working for free too.

Before the celtic tiger it wasn't unusual to go to college and still have no job at the end of it. Those days are here again. It an unfortunate new reality. Indeed a lot of immigrants came here for that reason.

As far as I collected some info already, they at SW try to do a "diversion route". I mean by WPP rules, if you just lost your job, you can apply WPP just before claim any Social Welfare payment: "If you are not in receipt of any social welfare payment you can apply immediately for any of the placements advertised."

That's (I mean) the point in first row. Am I right?

Well also, don't forget that many people are not eligible for any SW payment as they (a) do not have enough PRSI contributions or (b) they (or their parents f applicable) do not satisfy the means test requirements. So allowing people not in receipt of a payment to apply is presumably to allow such individuals to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭donkey balls

i have seen alot of these programs also on the fas website with certain companies looking for people with at least 2-3 years experience and over a certain age for insurance purposes.(and the idea being its for people that have no prior experience)
    some of these companies are just looking for someone to work for nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Check this one out, I actually know the company, and the owner is a total chancer.

Area of Activity: IT Infrastructure - Desktop/server support; Network infrastructure support/rollout; 1st level technical support. Elements of Experience: Windows 2003, 2008, SBS, Exchange, Active Directory; building and maintaining Windows Servers and clients; installation and configuration of Cisco routers, ISP routers, sonic fireworks and network applicances. MS office support. Small business server enviroment. Remote support environmental experience. Person Specification: good written and verbal communication skills; good interpersonal skills; well presented at all times

"This is a work experience programme and does not offer a salary" LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

miec wrote: »
    .... You need to commit for at least six to nine months, working full time....

Just a thought about this: I haven't read the rules of the scheme, but it seems to me that this must be just like any fixed-term job that offers a wage. The commitment to the term is all one way: they are committing to "employ" you for the term. You are only committed to stay for as long as the notice period in your contract. Frankly, for something like this that doesn't involve any cash-contribution from the employer, I'd find it hard to justify more than, say, a week's notice. (Would be fascinated to hear what notice periods the contracts actually have.)

If you get one of these WPP-thingies, unless it really is worth it for you, you should still be job-hunting as hard as ever, IMHO.

I've watched too many people in badly-paid jobs pass up better offers because they (wrongly) believed absolute B-S from employers about them having to work out the full contract. Don't fall for this one!

I'm pretty sure you can leave at any time, especially if you get paid employment somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm pretty sure you can leave at any time, especially if you get paid employment somewhere.
    As you'd be getting paid by the government, who would you be giving your notice to?

Think about it. You go down to the FAS office and ask should you give up your work experience place for someone else as you have gotten a paying job, or should you stay? I'd wonder what they'd say?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Has anyone actually got one of these placements? I've applied for quite a few so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Check this one out, I actually know the company, and the owner is a total chancer.

Area of Activity: IT Infrastructure - Desktop/server support; Network infrastructure support/rollout; 1st level technical support. Elements of Experience: Windows 2003, 2008, SBS, Exchange, Active Directory; building and maintaining Windows Servers and clients; installation and configuration of Cisco routers, ISP routers, sonic fireworks and network applicances. MS office support. Small business server enviroment. Remote support environmental experience. Person Specification: good written and verbal communication skills; good interpersonal skills; well presented at all times

"This is a work experience programme and does not offer a salary" LOL

I have seen another position in a different area for another company also and I know of them and its the same, literally just been used as a cheap way of getting some one to work for them, with them not having to pay a penny and they can afford to.

Advertisement