Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Defender thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

101sean wrote: »
    Standard 3.5 V8 but carbs swapped for SUs and electronic ignition. Does about 12mpg which isn't too bad for a brick that will cruise at 55-60.

Si's Stage 1 has the same engine but with restrictors in (if they are still fitted ;)) I already have 2 straight Land Rovers, my next one I want as an off-roader, the Stage 1 is too nice!

Nope.. engine rebuilt to RRC spec and RRC transfer box fitted.

..only problem now is that 60mph on the speedo is actually about 75!

12-12mpg around the local lanes, but easily 20 on a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Probably a long shot, but what do reckon my chances would be of picking up a project 130/110 crewcab for the €1500 - 2000 price mark?
    Is it wishful thinking?

I'm not in a position to get it just yet but will be in the next few months all going well, if anyone here has one lying in a shed unloved it would be going to a very good home :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Chances of a 130 are very slim, you'll find a 110 but it will be pretty ratty and pre Tdi most likely. Keep an eye on donedeal, if I see anything on LRA, I'll post a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

and not a crewcab at that money

I thought that might be the case alright, ah well was worth a try, back to the drawing board methinks :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Don't give up just yet, something may turn up as a project if you don't mind a naturally asthmatic diesel and a bit of welding needed.

Don't give up just yet, something may turn up as a project if you don't mind a naturally asthmatic diesel and a bit of welding needed.

Sure isn't that most Landys? ;) Thanks hopefully something will come up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Probably a long shot, but what do reckon my chances would be of picking up a project 130/110 crewcab for the €1500 - 2000 price mark?
    Is it wishful thinking?

I'm not in a position to get it just yet but will be in the next few months all going well, if anyone here has one lying in a shed unloved it would be going to a very good home :pac:

Might be worth going north or across the sea for that sort of money.

They were quite popular with utility companies in the uk

Another advert.

Anyways on a slightly different note, anyone know if its possible to fit a TD5 safari snorkel to a 200Tdi ?

No, wrong side, Td5 and 300Tdi breathe through the RH wing, you'd need to have a long hose across the back of the engine.

• Advertisement

No, wrong side, Td5 and 300Tdi breathe through the RH wing, you'd need to have a long hose across the back of the engine.

Ta sean,

was thinking that the air intake was different :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Where can i get a roof rack for my landie?
    I love the Patriot but at nearly 1000 including ladder its just a bit to much to spend.
    Thule roof bars are tooooo dam ugly
    What else should i look at?

The cheapest is probably the traditional galvanised box section steel type. Bearmach do one for £185 plus VAT and delivery, the ladder is extra. That price is from Paddocks but Jonathan Crozier does Bearmach stuff so if you collected from him it may work out cheaper.

http://www.paddockspares.com/sp/cat/DEFENDER/sub/Accessories/sid/143/sb2/2++Bearmach+Accessories.html

http://www.crozier4x4.com/shop/index.php?ukey=home

• Registered Users Posts: 17 noodlesdundalk

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Where can i get a roof rack for my landie?
    I love the Patriot but at nearly 1000 including ladder its just a bit to much to spend.
    Thule roof bars are tooooo dam ugly
    What else should i look at?

hey mr boots, is it for a 110 or 90? :)
    if 110 i have a roofrack with lightbar to suit, i am selling it second hand,
    it is identical to this one looking €225 for it
    http://www.4x4offroads.com/2000-land-rover-defender-110-county-station-wagon.html

if you are interested i will post some pics up.

ps... based in dundalk
    pps also have a 1000w inverter for sale never used, unwanted present
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=388096
    looking €225 also

I will accept sterling or will consider swap for other landrover bits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Thanx for the offer noodles but its for a 90.
    Im not mad on the Bearmach design, id imagine it catches the wind quite well and i dont realy want a basket style rack.
    Are patriot roof bars good? anyone recomend different roof bars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

hey mr boots, is it for a 110 or 90? :)
    if 110 i have a roofrack with lightbar to suit, i am selling it second hand,
    it is identical to this one looking €225 for it
    http://www.4x4offroads.com/2000-land-rover-defender-110-county-station-wagon.html

if you are interested i will post some pics up.

ps... based in dundalk
    pps also have a 1000w inverter for sale never used, unwanted present
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=388096
    looking €225 also

I will accept sterling or will consider swap for other landrover bits :)

Did i see you heading into navan from slane last sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 noodlesdundalk

elius wrote: »
    Did i see you heading into navan from slane last sunday?

Afraid not, was sitting chilling out at home that day, although if you see a matt black 110 gimme a wave:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

My last Defender:

defender.jpeg

Have 2 Disco's now. Miss the Defender, so do the kids and the missus.
    ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭bumpydog

My last Defender..... 130 Station Wagon 4.6 V8 Auto...sob sob

130-800.jpg

Ooooh, v nice. I assume it was one of Foley's converted Rapier tractors? Popular in commercial ballooning circles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Wantsies!
    bumpydog wrote: »

130-800.jpg

Ooooh, v nice. I assume it was one of Foley's converted Rapier tractors? Popular in commercial ballooning circles.

Yes and No...it was done by Foley but it was my own donor vehicle (crewcab 130). Not bad for a 23 year old car (1987). Very popular in commercial ballooning circles...just like my 101's were :-)

Here's the before...

800-3.jpg

...and the 2 101's...

800-1.jpg
    800-2.jpg

Ah, we've spoken on line before!

Think it was when I was investigating road tax implications before I moved here:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

130-800.jpg
    Thats very very nice. Colour, wheels, tyres, engine and spare wheel arm are perfect, if I was picky (I am) I would get rid of the becon. Was it as good on the inside ?

It was fairly standard on the inside plus a number of extras i.e. Eberspacher heater, 5kW inverter, DVD etc. Would fairly comfortably seat 13 people although, like all Defender rear seats, not suited to anyone who's too tall.

I'm sort of on the lookout for another Defender. I would be mighty tempted with the Overfinch 90 that's for sale but too costly at £17k sterling for a 15 year old Defender, irrespective of the goodies and 350bhp. I should have bought Simon's 90 50th earlier this year!

Malcolm.

I also meant to say....it wasn't always that nice and the history makes interesting reading.....

http://www.defender130.com

Malcolm

I also meant to say....it wasn't always that nice and the history makes interesting reading.....

Malcolm

Great blog. I absolutely LOVE the paintjob you did on it yourself, fair play fantastic job!
    The red is gorgeous on it now, lovely Defender :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Malcolm
    I recognise that reg!

I am nearly sure ye guys brought myself and my brother for a spin from Strandhill airport one eve after you landed beside our house the eve before in south Sligo, probably 15 years ago though!

Ye had to get a basket rescued with a digger after it landed in a field also

Great blog. I absolutely LOVE the paintjob you did on it yourself, fair play fantastic job!
    The red is gorgeous on it now, lovely Defender :)

The Ionian Blue metallic paint was done with many aerosol cans (over aerosol etch primer)! The end result was fairly good. The Rioja Red was done professionally (inside and out) by a company that Foleys use.

I had an email from the new owner today and he has done further work i.e. two new axles with vented disks, new bulkhead (see before and after pics below...big job!), sequential lpg (I installed single-point), TD5 dashboard (see pic), NAS auto console, heated lumbar seats, led lights, carpets etc.

The main positive thing out of all this is that *IF* he ever sells it, I get first refusal to buy it back!

bulkhead1.jpg
    bulkhead2.jpg
    interior.jpg

M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

It was fairly standard on the inside plus a number of extras i.e. Eberspacher heater, 5kW inverter, DVD etc. Would fairly comfortably seat 13 people although, like all Defender rear seats, not suited to anyone who's too tall.

I'm sort of on the lookout for another Defender. I would be mighty tempted with the Overfinch 90 that's for sale but too costly at £17k sterling for a 15 year old Defender, irrespective of the goodies and 350bhp. I should have bought Simon's 90 50th earlier this year!

Malcolm.

That defender is back up for sale as far as i know..

Quite a few landies around the trim area. ;)

Advertisement