Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Defender thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Ah now I think the original spec still has a lot going for it. Great 4x4 functionality, easy to maintain and repair, and while there's loads wrong with them (leaky, noisy etc.) they have a strange way of turning those faults into "character" :D

Just hoping I don't have to drive anywhere in it tomorrow, I can imagine the box shape wouldn't do well in high winds haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

My lights have stopped working on my land rover defender and I don't have much of a clue what the problem is .
    The main light switch will not work but the headlights work if I flick on them on the dip beam and indicator switch
    I was sure I needed a new switch but a new one made no difference.
    Any help welcome and appreciated .

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

O.A.P wrote: »
    My lights have stopped working on my land rover defender and I don't have much of a clue what the problem is .
    The main light switch will not work but the headlights work if I flick on them on the dip beam and indicator switch
    I was sure I needed a new switch but a new one made no difference.
    Any help welcome and appreciated .

Replace the light switch...............not too big a job.............

Your right Stock, it wasn't a big job although costly enough to get it delivered here yesterday but like I said it made no difference.
    What else could it be, broken wire somewhere in the loom ?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

You'll have to try and trace the fault back. Have you power going into the switch, I think it's the brown wire, have you power leaving the switch when in either of the the two 'On positions'? If not, you should check the fuses. Have you relays fitted?

37896654265_6134dd1762_c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭banjolin

OK. This sounds a lot like an issue I have had with my 05 TD5. I am on my fourth replacement.

The issue is not the main light switch, i.e. the small one near the ignition. It is the indicator/horn/dip beam. It is well recognised as being a total piece of crap. All of the amps required to run the main lights go through this switch. It gets hot and the plastic seat that holds the electrical contacts in place melts, knocking them out of line or allowing them to drop off altogether. It is constructed in such a way that generally, although your headlights do not work, you can flash them as normal.

The real problem is that the replacements are generally a lot flimsier than the original. You need to ensure that at the very least you get a Lucas OE replacement, probably 20-30 euros. A Landrover original is closer to 250 euros, if you can believe that.

Its a steering wheel off job. The wiper switch is also mounted on the same cradle so you have to remove that from the old one and put it on the replacement.

It is likely to recur. I am considering putting in a relay to take the power away from the switch.

I have some photos of my burnt out one somewhere and will post them if I can locate them.

This is looking at the indicator/horn/dip beam switch with the steering column cover removed, from the dash/windscreen side.

From left to right: good switch, bad switch, close up of bad switch.

You can see how the plastic has melted. It won't always melt in exactly the same way, or catastrophically at first, degrading over time, but that was my third switch.

At all costs avoid the really cheap replacements. One lasted me about three months, in summer.

banjolin wrote: »
    This is looking at the indicator/horn/dip beam switch with the steering column cover removed, from the dash/windscreen side.

From left to right: good switch, bad switch, close up of bad switch.

You can see how the plastic has melted. It won't always melt in exactly the same way, or catastrophically at first, degrading over time, but that was my third switch.

At all costs avoid the really cheap replacements. One lasted me about three months, in summer.

You're most probably right banjolin. I have replaced both the dim dip switch and wiper switch, years ago. I bought one of them off of land rover at the time and remember paying over 200 euros for it. The other one I got was from paddocks or somewhere for a lot less. I cant remember which one I bought from land rover. I don't think the symptoms were the same the last time either. If I remember correctly it was obvious that time, that the dim dip switch was faulty.

Unfortunately, I ran out of patience and dropped it off at a auto electricians this morning, he told me to come back at 12.30, which I did and they haven't found the problem. I wish I had just taken it back now and I have to ring them on Monday to find out if they have or can fix it. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

What year is the defender in question, if your side lights and and dip beam arent working its more than likely the small stuby switch, theres a fuse in the td5s under the seat for the horn and high/dip beam switch under the drivers seat. The real way to cure the issue with the stubby switch burning out is to fit relays for the dip and main beam circuits.

What year is the defender in question, if your side lights and and dip beam arent working its more than likely the small stuby switch, theres a fuse in the td5s under the seat for the horn and high/dip beam switch under the drivers seat. The real way to cure the issue with the stubby switch burning out is to fit relays for the dip and main beam circuits.

Its a 99 110 td5 and I have already changed that switch (I said so in my first post )
    All fuses under the drivers seat are fine ,no fuse for high/beam there though
    A relay is certainly the prevention for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

O.A.P wrote: »
    Its a 99 110 td5 and I have already changed that switch (I said so in my first post )
    All fuses under the drivers seat are fine ,no fuse for high/beam there though
    A relay is certainly the prevention for the future.

Its labeled as the horn fuse. That is the fuse for horn and dip/head switch.

i got sick of my lights/fuse box acting up a few weeks ago (old style fusebox) so i said fcuk it and replaced with leds and put a new stlye box in. Hopefully solves all my stupid light/electrical issues. I used to have all headlights working on full beam and then only one on dips unless i switched through them a few times :D as well as radio, rear lights dash cutting out intermittently. twas great craic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭Suckler

i got sick of my lights/fuse box acting up a few weeks ago (old style fusebox) so i said fcuk it and replaced with leds and put a new stlye box in. Hopefully solves all my stupid light/electrical issues. I used to have all headlights working on full beam and then only one on dips unless i switched through them a few times :D as well as radio, rear lights dash cutting out intermittently. twas great craic

did the same on my Puma defender; was going through switches so changed to LED and haven't looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Anyone know if you can get a seal/gasket kit for a power steering pump on a td5 or is it a new pump that has to be got?
    Pump whining air bubbles in fluid and leaking fluid and progressively getting worse over the last few weeks. Spent the last few hrs getting it out.

Anyone know if you can get a seal/gasket kit for a power steering pump on a td5 or is it a new pump that has to be got?
    Pump whining air bubbles in fluid and leaking fluid and progressively getting worse over the last few weeks. Spent the last few hrs getting it out.
    Firstly is the steering notchy or heavy ? check for a leak in the supply hose, then bleed the pump correctly.

Failing this replace the pump, they aren't too dear ball park €200....

As far as I know there is a kit for that but I don't know if you can do it with just a set of sockets and a hammer. There are some parts that are easier to replace than to repair, unless you have a workshop and lots of time. I replaced my pump two years ago. Not as painful as I thought. I'd follow Stocks advice.

banjolin wrote: »
    As far as I know there is a kit for that but I don't know if you can do it with just a set of sockets and a hammer. There are some parts that are easier to replace than to repair, unless you have a workshop and lots of time. I replaced my pump two years ago. Not as painful as I thought. I'd follow Stocks advice.

Tried 2 LR dealers this morning. No pumps in stock. Could have 1 down from Dublin in morning. One 310+ vat other 380+ vat. Can get one from UK for around 175 all in.

You could try Catherine at Parts Central in Clonmel 052 6122399. LR spares. She's a bit of a sweary Mary but usually on the ball. Might have it. Other than that UK is best bet.

Did you try the lad in Dromahane ?

or you could try Stryker Land rover in Abbeyfeale.

Tried a few Irish places but ended up buying off a crowd in the UK. 178Eu.
    LThey had to send a second one to me as the first ended up in a consignment bound for Belgium. Got it today and fitted it this evening. Hopefully I'll get a chance to clean it out give it a wash and a quick check before I put it through the test before the holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭laurpat

Fist post the in the Defender Thread.

I've got a 1984 Landrover 110 running the 2.5 NA.

Overall it's fairly tidy for it's years. I need to put some creature comforts into it like radio and a usb charging port other than that i'm good. A lot of work was done with this machine before I got it - Chassis, axle upgrade, gearbox, etc. It has the unusual 1/2 sliding slanted windows.

It's slow, It's noisy, It's under powered but I simply love the thing... Get's very little use so it's going to be a keeper.

It's cream at the moment. I'm hope to be sending in for respray soon, including a bulk head repair. Color suggestions please. It was originally brown... Would it be awful to revert back?

laurpat wrote: »
    Fist post the in the Defender Thread.

I've got a 1984 Landrover 110 running the 2.5 NA.

Overall it's fairly tidy for it's years. I need to put some creature comforts into it like radio and a usb charging port other than that i'm good. A lot of work was done with this machine before I got it - Chassis, axle upgrade, gearbox, etc. It has the unusual 1/2 sliding slanted windows.

It's slow, It's noisy, It's under powered but I simply love the thing... Get's very little use so it's going to be a keeper.

It's cream at the moment. I'm hope to be sending in for respray soon, including a bulk head repair. Color suggestions please. It was originally brown... Would it be awful to revert back?

Send a picture and I'll offer an opinion. A radio? Posh? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

I've always liked 'Bonatti Grey'.....

1-(44).jpg

metallic red with a black roof/trim is the colour i hope to end up with eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭anthony500_1

I've an 05 defender 90, rear indicator bulb blew, went to change it, but holder was all rotten and in a mush. Anyways bought a new complete bearmach indicator replacement, fitted it, but it's barley lighting the bulb and it's flashing mad still, it's the same as no bulb in, what could the problem be. It's probably a simple answer but auto electrics is not my strong point.

Thanks for any advice in advance

Could be wired backwards. Just swap over the contacts. They appear to be reversible but they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

Also,just make sure that you haven't forced the bulb in the wrong way.

Don't ask how I know this:o

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

While changing the fuel filter last week on a defender 110 TD5, the fuel filter housing was so corroded it split into two halves.

I've fitted the new filter housing and filter this morning, but I have been trying all day to bleed the system with no luck. I've changed the filter several times before and it was always just a matter of turning the key to position two and listening to the diesel pump scream for three minutes until it stopped, then turning it off and on again and then repeating it three or four times.

This time however, there's only a slight humming noise coming from the pump, no matter what I try, I have even tried pressing the accelerator peddle five times technique to make the ECU purge the system. But the pump is still not nearly loud as it should be.

I haven't started the land rover for over a week, while I waited for the part to arrive. This is the only difference from the other times when I have changed the fuel filter. I hope the fuel pump is not the problem.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    OAP

There is a suction filter on the pump in the tank, when this blocks it causes the pump to go quiet and fail....................
    It probably here your issue is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭anthony500_1

I've an 05 defender 90, rear indicator bulb blew, went to change it, but holder was all rotten and in a mush. Anyways bought a new complete bearmach indicator replacement, fitted it, but it's barley lighting the bulb and it's flashing mad still, it's the same as no bulb in, what could the problem be. It's probably a simple answer but auto electrics is not my strong point.

Feel like a right tit. Spent hours trying to figure out the issue. God damit I put in a 24v bulb by mistake and this was the sole route of the problem. Plonker of the week award goes to me this week any ways...........

Advertisement