Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLOOD DONATIONS NEEDED/LOW SUPPLY :(

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Mr.S wrote: »
    So basically its just a nice way of saying if your gay you can't give blood :pac:

-
    I tried to give blood, they said no because of piercings and tattoos. I hardly have any diseases (and don't they screen all the blood before anyway?) so they can fook off with they're pickyness.

You only have to wait a couple of months after having a piercing or tattoo to donate...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

So basically its just a nice way of saying if your gay you can't give blood :pac:

-
    I tried to give blood, they said no because of piercings and tattoos. I hardly have any diseases (and don't they screen all the blood before anyway?) so they can fook off with they're pickyness.

No, you could be a flaming homosexual but if you're too ugly to get a ride you can still give blood :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Morlar wrote: »
    There are no incentives apart from biscuits and fizzy/hot drinks.
    And crisps
    And chocolate bars
    And free parking
    And somewhere quite to hide away from the bargain hunters
    And that warm fuzzy feeling

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

-
    I hardly have any diseases - LOL

Earlier in the thread it was pointed out that for CJD ( Mad cow disease in humans ) could take 50-60 years before you show symptoms of infection and even then The only test for CJD involves removing your brain from your skull and cutting it up into tiny little pieces, so blood can't be screened for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Went in at bout 12.30, but the woman said we'd be queuing for 2 hours :eek:

I didn't have any entertainment (earphones) with me, so said f*ck that

I'll find another place

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

And that warm fuzzy feeling

You should call the clinic if that lasts more than 2 hours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tomister

I always donate when the clinic is in maynooth and would go into the city if i missed a clinic. wanted to give blood this week but can't because it hasn't been 90 days since my last donation :(

In the US its only 56 days between donations so why is it so long here.

So, if you can, give blood its a great feeling and you can help save a life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Yeah people like yourself will donate anyaway for that reason but i mean if they want to entice new donors to sign up. People that arent against the idea
    but are just to lazy/dont like needles/dont see anything in it for them to go and get it done. If there was a reason then it might encourage a lot more people to do it. For example tax incentives or priority when getting blood etc...

never donated myself but may go next week

Well giving priority to people who have donated blood is unfair, as illustrated by this board. Many people on here seem to want to donate, but for some reason they're not allowed to.

To be honest, if they need some sort of incentive to get people to donate blood, then I think that's a pretty sad state of affairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Marianne S

There is no diagnostic test for vCJD yet (as Capt'n Midnight said they can only test for it definitively at post mortem). There is a possible risk that it can be passed on through blood donations so the IBTS try to minimise this risk by excluding donors who lived in the UK for an extended period of time, they don't use plasma from donors in Ireland and all units are filtered to take out the white blood cells which potentially carry the vCJD prions.

• Advertisement

And another thing, the World Health Organisation recommended in 1997 that all blood donors whould be volunteer donors, if you pay donors or give them some other incentive they are more likely to lie about their medical history or risk taking behaviour that would make them unsuitable to donate. The Irish Blood Transfusion Service relies on altruism for donors.Blood donors do not get priority in hospital but if they need blood donations they are free of charge. Units of blood cost a lot of money due to factors such as the equipment needed to process them and screen them before transfusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

Have they got something against galway people?

Someone mentioned that they have to travel. I have been on their website and they are all over the country during the week. They are even coming to clare. Galway isn't that far from clare and if there's a shortage why not come to a city? I never donated before but i will if they came my way.

lisajane wrote: »
    Have they got something against galway people?

Someone mentioned that they have to travel. I have been on their website and they are all over the country during the week. They are even coming to clare. Galway isn't that far from clare and if there's a shortage why not come to a city? I never donated before but i will if they came my way.

They were in Galway loads in December and will be back in Galway city the 23, 24 and 25 of March. Check out the dates on their website: http://www.giveblood.ie/Where_to_Give_Blood/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

I donated on monday :D First time too. Had the best conversation ever with the male nurse. He had his leaving cert by 15, a degree in philosophy by 19 and then done physics degrees etc etc etc. He's now 30 and is going back in 2011 to do his Dr. in philosophy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Ollchailin

Donated yesterday for the first time- I was so weak afterwards they had to keep me there for ages and load 7up into me, elevate my legs and put wet cotton wool on my head.... I've a HUUUGE bruise on my arm too...

BUT: TOTALLY worth it!!!!!!! Do it, I'm so so happy I did- I'm so flippin broke these days but I can still do this for people without having to hand over a cent. Such a brilliant feeling! The nurses were so so nice, and rang me today and everything to make sure I was ok.

-oh, and my free pen came in handy when I needed one quickly today, it was still in the handbag since yesterday. And free iron tablets, I needed new ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Donated for the second time yesterday and found out that my blood is "XF4". I asked what "XF4" was and the nurse said that it was suitable to be used to help babies.

All I did was sit on my arse for a while and let them take some blood (which I barely noticed happening and felt absolutely fine afterwards) and it may end up helping to save a baby's life. With a reason like that I'd go back again tomorrow and donate if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

My blood and organs aren't suitable for use as dog food apparently, which is a shame as the needles don't bother me anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ckarsenal

Leaving work yesterday,I heard on local radio that they would be collecting blood between 5 and 8pm at Cahir House hotel, Co.Tipperary.
    Rushed to get in there after dinner to be told from a member of the hotel staff that it had be cancelled.

Bit annoying to say the least and would also have been my first time donating blood as well. Anyway plan on heading in the next time their around the local area regardless.

Advertisement