Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLOOD DONATIONS NEEDED/LOW SUPPLY :(

Options
  • 09-01-2010 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23 HereSince2003

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/donor-appeal-as-stocks-of-blood-run-low-2004691.html

http://www.giveblood.ie/

BLOOD stocks are worryingly low because of Arctic road conditions and an outbreak of viral infections.
    The Irish Blood Transfusion Service (IBTS) last night issued an urgent appeal for regular donors to make a special effort to travel to clinics to give blood.
    Donation levels have slumped in the past three weeks as icy roads have made it impossible for many to reach clinics.

Myself and the better half are off into town and are going to donate. Maybe if you know someone who can donate you could mention the current situation to them? Family and friends? Countrywide?

At this time of year it would be nice to help the less fortunate.

http://www.giveblood.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

They still won't take blood from gay men though. When I rang today I was basically told they'd rather run out then take my blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

I haven't gone in a couple of years now. Every time they come around I always seem to have a cold or be on some medication or something, :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

My GF is in her period, il have a word and see if she minds me sending some in....whats the post like in this weather?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

OP is obliviously a vampire who is mainstreaming and worried about the low stock levels in the vampire run blood banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Never donated blood before, does it take long?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

sink wrote: »
    Never donated blood before, does it take long?
    Nah about 30 mins. Depends on how quick your blood comes out tbh. Mine seems to hide when the needle goes in :(

Drink lots of water/fluids before you go and make sure you've eaten in the last 2 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

i wouldn't mind some bloody donations either

coat?

Kiera wrote: »
    Nah about 30 mins. Depends on how quick your blood comes out tbh. Mine seems to hide when the needle goes in :(
    The longest part is hanging about for your turn. I've often spent well over an hour in these places. Defo want to take a book or something,
    30 mins you say? You must have blood like soup :). 10 - 15 mins I'd say.
    Drink lots of water/fluids before you go
    Yep! I think I was on maybe my 3rd or 4th visit before I twigged that! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

lugha wrote: »
    The longest part is hanging about for your turn. I've often spent well over an hour in these places. Defo want to take a book or something,
    30 mins you say? You must have blood like soup :). 10 - 15 mins I'd say.

Yep! I think I was on maybe my 3rd or 4th visit before I twigged that! :(
    Yup it pretty much hides when the needle goes in. Stoooopid poxy blood!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Would love to but I'm exempt cos of pregnancy. I used to give regularly though.

• Advertisement

Maybe they should actually let people donate then. They won't take my blood because I grew up in England and they think I'm a mad cow.

As for the testing - surely diseases like HIV need to be present for 3+ months before they can be detected, so if someone was just recently infected, it might not show up on the test? That could be why they try to stop high risk groups from donating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

lugha wrote: »
    I've often spent well over an hour in these places.

Over the last year the wait has gotten a lot quicker, Last time it was 20 mins, Always hard to put exact times as depends on people who arrive.

Yup it pretty much hides when the needle goes in. Stoooopid poxy blood!
    Maybe you should take someone along with you to squeeze you?
    Works with ketchup. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

OP, i think the clinic is closed today. there's a few on tomorrow though. will head in myself and look out the window at the fools slippin n slidin while eating my time-outs.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Thanks OP for the thread, Reminded me i've to go in tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭ninalucy1985

I used always think giving blood was just... ah i used faint all the time and everything..
    I donated bone marrow then.
    Ouch!
    It was so painfull,
    it ws also a little upsetting as the person who received my bone marrow declined my get well soon card and sent it back to me!!!
    Hurtfull!!
    but anyways, yeah.. giving blood is like a tickle in comparison

[quote=[Deleted User];63893715]Maybe they should actually let people donate then. They won't take my blood because I grew up in England and they think I'm a mad cow.

As for the testing - surely diseases like HIV need to be present for 3+ months before they can be detected, so if someone was just recently infected, it might not show up on the test? That could be why they try to stop high risk groups from donating.[/quote]

I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

[quote=[Deleted User];63893715]Maybe they should actually let people donate then. They won't take my blood because I grew up in England and they think I'm a mad cow.

As for the testing - surely diseases like HIV need to be present for 3+ months before they can be detected, so if someone was just recently infected, it might not show up on the test? That could be why they try to stop high risk groups from donating.[/quote]

I have often wondered this too...So if someone that was recently infected (a week ago say), donates blood, this infected blood will make its way into some ones else s body?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

[quote=[Deleted User];63893715]Maybe they should actually let people donate then. They won't take my blood because I grew up in England and they think I'm a mad cow. [/QUOTE]

Were they actually to run out of Blood and discovered the UK transfusion service had some to spare what would happen ?

Elessar wrote: »
    Last, and only time I gave blood I had to be monitored for 45 mins because I went into shock and it was ****ing terrifying. Won't be doing that again.

This has happened me a couple of times.
    I have stoopid slow veins, I'm terrified of needles, and if the weather is very hot. It compounds the panic and I go into shock.

I still go though.....It doesnt happen every time, and it is more important to do my bit.
    I hope someone will do it for me if I ever need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I tried donating, but they gave me several reasons why they don't want my blood. I think as it stands, I have to wait 11 months before they'll accept mine

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

I gave blood this week and fainted and it was scary and that but I'm still going back because my fainting far outweighs the benefits of giving the blood.

cojomo2 wrote: »
    I have often wondered this too...So if someone that was recently infected (a week ago say), donates blood, this infected blood will make its way into some ones else s body?

thats why they ask you, have you had unprotected sex, recent partners etc..
    or so they do in the uk .
    I suppose you just have to be honest with them.
    im sure they are re tested or but away on 'hold' until something can be detected.
    not 100% tho

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭jk86

egan007 wrote: »
    I have not gone back since they said all my details were stolen on a laptop.
    I know it's not them that suffer but i'm really pissed about that.

You do realise that makes absolutely no sense and is a really bad excuse?

Unfortunatly I can go this week as my 3 months aint up yet since last one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Gillington wrote: »
    My friend sent me this link yesterday and I got a bit sick,fast forward 24 hours and I've more sick in my mouth,I cannot stand needles,maybe I shouldnt have opened this thread! or maybe it shouldnt be in AH

Of course it should be in AH - It's one of the busiest forums on Boards.

It's important that people know there's an issue with blood supply and their donations are needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Can't. Want to but they don't want it! Risk of CJD because of living in the UK.. Can't do it otherwise because of tattoos within 4 months.. Oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Moonbaby wrote: »
    This has happened me a couple of times.
    I have stoopid slow veins, I'm terrified of needles, and if the weather is very hot. It compounds the panic and I go into shock.

I still go though.....It doesnt happen every time, and it is more important to do my bit.
    I hope someone will do it for me if I ever need it.

That's really good of you to go when you're terrified, it's very generous, the world needs more people like you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 AbigailE

I cant give blood again till June because I had a baby , I give blood every time I can even though I nearly always faint :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

OP, i think the clinic is closed today. there's a few on tomorrow though. will head in myself and look out the window at the fools slippin n slidin while eating my time-outs.

Just FYI to everyone, the clinic on D'olier St, Dublin. is open tomorrow especially for donations due to the shortage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭M1XR

answer me this, do they except blood off people who have smoked cannabis

Advertisement