Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLOOD DONATIONS NEEDED/LOW SUPPLY :(

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

exactly what refreshments do they provide afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭jk86

M1XR wrote: »
    answer me this, do they except blood off people who have smoked cannabis

I don't think so. One of the questions on the form you need to fill out is about drug use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭MissFitz

Ideo wrote: »
    exactly what refreshments do they provide afterwards?

Tea, coffee, fizzydrinks, cans of guinness

Biscuits, chocolate etc.

Thanks for starting the thread OP, reminded me to donate in the next few days :)

MissFitz wrote: »
    Tea, coffee, fizzydrinks, cans of guinness

Biscuits, chocolate etc.

Thanks for starting the thread OP, reminded me to donate in the next few days :)

And cheese and onion Tayto :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

doubt its a problem unless you were stoned at the time. there's no ban on cigarettes or alcohol users and cannabis is *physically* less harmful than them.

Think there's some kind of timeframe on cocaine use but thats down to an increased risk with hep c as far as i know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Harder drugs have a limit of 12 months, I'm fairly certain cannabis is a lot lower, like a month or 3 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

[quote=[Deleted User];63893715]Maybe they should actually let people donate then. They won't take my blood because I grew up in England and they think I'm a mad cow.

As for the testing - surely diseases like HIV need to be present for 3+ months before they can be detected, so if someone was just recently infected, it might not show up on the test? That could be why they try to stop high risk groups from donating.[/QUOTE]

The same logic as why they won't have you donate, the incubation time of vCJD can be massive. And even more importantly it can't be tested for.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

They do indeed. I asked the nurse one time when I was donating and she laughed and said yes.

Cocaine etc. you have to wait a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Dont forget platelet donation too people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I dontated blood yesterday, didn't hurt or take too long. Plus there were biscuits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Considering I have turned 18 and seeing as last night my younger brother went through an emergency operation in which 5 units of blood where needed I will most definitely be donating!

Just checked the website and there's a clinic in my locality on monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

I can't give blood because I have Hemochromatosis. Even though I've to get one unit of blood taken every 2 weeks by my GP, I cannot donate blood. The blood that gets taken from me is just thrown away, regardless of there being nothing wrong with it. Its a genetic disease that causes your blood to be overloaded with iron, which means the blood would be ideal for people who suffer with iron difficiency enemia. It does not effect the safety of the blood in any way.

In places like australia they accept donations from people with this disease, but over here they do not. I know that Hemochromatosis is very common among the Irish, so there must be plenty more people out there who have this disease, who are getting blood taken from them and thrown away, when it could be going to blood banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

mang87 wrote: »
    I can't give blood because I have Hemochromatosis. Even though I've to get one unit of blood taken every 2 weeks by my GP, I cannot donate blood. The blood that gets taken from me is just thrown away, regardless of there being nothing wrong with it. Its a genetic disease that causes your blood to be overloaded with iron, which means the blood would be ideal for people who suffer with iron difficiency enemia. It does not effect the safety of the blood in any way.

In places like australia they accept donations from people with this disease, but over here they do not. I know that Hemochromatosis is very common among the Irish, so there must be plenty more people out there who have this disease, who are getting blood taken from them and thrown away, when it could be going to blood banks.
    NO WAY!!! That's ridiculous! My mother suffers from anaemia along with my 2 older sisters, grandmother, aunty, female cousins. Actually, majority of females on my mothers side.

I think a petition is in order!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

sitstill wrote: »
    They still won't take blood from gay men though. When I rang today I was basically told they'd rather run out then take my blood.

It's too risky. A recent study showed that straight men who'd received blood donations from gay men suddenly started dressing 67% more fabulously. Our fashion and beauty infrastructure simply couldn't cope with a sudden outbreak of gayness and would collapse.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I donated over 200 pints of plasma/platelets (which can be donated as often as every 2 weeks) in the UK, and have been vegetarian for over 40 years (hence have virtually no risk of CJD), but still this county does not want my blood:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Bonito wrote: »
    NO WAY!!! That's ridiculous! My mother suffers from anaemia along with my 2 older sisters, grandmother, aunty, female cousins. Actually, majority of females on my mothers side.

I think a petition is in order!

Wrong thread.

Folks this thread is about highlighting the need for fresh blood supplies.

Granted the IBTS cannot accept blood off some donors but that's an entirely different thread altogether.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I would like to give blood but there are no clinics in Galway until mid-February?:confused:

If they needed it that much surely they'd put on extra clinics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭annabellee77

I;d go in tomorrow if the blood bank was open in Dublin city centre?? (anyone know?)

Luckily for donating I always find I dont mind needles at all.

I;d go in tomorrow if the blood bank was open in Dublin city centre?? (anyone know?)

Luckily for donating I always find I dont mind needles at all.

It's open. You can view all clinics open tomorrow here http://giveblood.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭microgirl

I would like to give blood but there are no clinics in Galway until mid-February?:confused:

If they needed it that much surely they'd put on extra clinics?

Well, they also need to be able to get the staff and equipment from Dublin to there. See the difficulty? This is why there *are* extra clinics being put on in D'Olier St this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MetalDawg

Im goin giving blood in D'Olier st as soon as I get back to Dub. It'll be my 18th time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭annabellee77

jk86 wrote: »
    It's open. You can view all clinics open tomorrow here http://giveblood.ie/

Nice one thanks. Will def go in.... Am due a visit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

To the people complaining about the rules,
    when I was younger I wasn't eligible to give blood, but the rules changed and now they take it.

Oh yeah , you also get two hours parking free in Fleet St and it's nice to look down at rushing around on O'Connell St from the canteen afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Apparently I'm eligible somewhat to give platelets and bone marrow but not blood?
    May check it out, I'd love to give both

• Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

questions on the can i give blood page

Have you spent one year or more in total/cumulatively in the UK* between 1980 and 1996, including living, working or on holidays?

* UK includes Northern Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

not surprising they are running out

i gave blood for 12 years twice a year in the uk before moving here

if they run out of blood they buy it from the uk anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

They're extremely strict with blood donation, and rightfully so. But I think the 1980 CJD thing is abit too harsh. Surely if somebody had CJD, 99% of them would be showing symptoms by now? I'd love to know the % of donors they've refused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

jumpguy wrote: »
    They're extremely strict with blood donation, and rightfully so. But I think the 1980 CJD thing is abit too harsh. Surely if somebody had CJD, 99% of them would be showing symptoms by now? I'd love to know the % of donors they've refused.

Me anyway :(
    It's bloody annoying..Why can't they just..take my blood..and test it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

My local doc in the city centre doesnt do blood tests, i want one before i donate but dunno how to do it...vegetarian means i could have too low an iron count.

Would gladly donate otherwise...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

My local doc in the city centre doesnt do blood tests, i want one before i donate but dunno how to do it...vegetarian means i could have too low an iron count.

Would gladly donate otherwise...

they'll do an iron count before any donating is done. is there anything other than haematocrit that you think you should have tested? they'll do all the tests on the blood anyway. don't worry about it at all. plus you get a free car sticker!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Thanks for the heads up OP ! I shall face the wind and the snow and head into D'Olier Street tomorrow. I wanna buy a pair of runners anyway.

I just hope I don't collapse in the snow afterwards, it could take them weeks to find my body at the rate this snow is coming down.....

Advertisement