Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Support the Hapkido in Dublin Campaign - Join this group" [TITLE CHANGE]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭DaBrow

I've also got to add that just getting people to join a facebook group and hoping for the best is going to get you nowhere. People join these things on a whim and then completely forget about them. This generates two problems: 1) they don't really gain the momentum that other courses of action would, and 2) potentially in a year or so someone could see the group with 50 odd members and decide to set up a HKD school, only to find that everyone has lost interest.

If you want the facebook group to be useful, it's got to be a secondary thing which you use to coordinate your primary efforts.

I started a group in facebook about demanding Karate in the Olympics... So far it is picking up momentum.

It has 154 members now and members of the Irish National Team and even a Coach from the Italian National Squad has Joined... All in the last 10 Days when it had only 7 members.

It can work... It depends on how you promote it.

This is campaign however, I think needs a new tactic... because it isn't as widely available.

Anyway... I'll request this thread to be closed again because this method isn't working and people are just making a mockery of the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

DaBrow wrote: »
    People on this forum clearly don't see it a problem that a capital city of more than a million... aren't that bothered and think it's acceptable to take 3 hours to get somewhere.

BINGO! If you really want to do HKD it will be hard to get to, but not impossible. If you want to round out your skill set, there are plenty of other options.

A HKD club is not like a hospital or a fire brigade, in the grand scheme of things it's not something that a city *needs*. The most you'll get from me is that it's odd that a town of this size doesn't have more HKD places, but it's in no way something that must be fixed.
    DaBarow wrote:
    I started a group in facebook about demanding Karate in the Olympics... So far it is picking up momentum.

It has 154 members now and members of the Irish National Team and even a Coach from the Italian National Squad has Joined... All in the last 10 Days when it had only 7 members.

It can work... It depends on how you promote it.
    That really depends on how you define "work". Are you taking any initiative with the people you've collected in your group? What's your next step?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Ug Lee

There are no details for Eugene McQuillan Available, I've searched far and wide to be told that he finished teaching hapkido years ago... 2006 I saw elsewhere.

A guy that I work with did a bit of training with Eugene a few months ago in the Malahide/Swords area. If the classes are still running would you be willing to travel from where you work near to airport to Swords/Malahide?

If so, do you want me to get the details of the class?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Have you made contact with any higher belts from HKD ? Yourself and a few HKD students can set up your own training group as other have suggested, then you just need to coordinate with the Head instructors in Dublin so you can take one or two classes with them per month and have a seminar every few months, your group then meet once or twice a week on your own to train. The higher belts should be able to help you get your first few belts and once the club has more momentum you can show Black belts that it is viable for them to come over and teach.
    Be warned there is a lot involved with starting up a club, but at least your head instructors will be in the same country as you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

You're just acting like a child Ug Lee...

An UGLY child perhaps?... :p
    Ok Mods... This won't get anywhere, you can close the thread or delete it. I'm sorry your time was wasted.

/Puts on Mods hat...

No, I'm not locking it.

Yomchi closed it, you asked to have it opened again and its blown up in your face. I bet Yomchi knew this when the original lock was applied to the thread (we've seen this happen too often).

Sorry to sound harsh, but you can't have threads unlocked & locked again on demand, so I'm leaving it open, other's have a right to speak on the subject too.

/Mod hat off now..

Would you consider a more realistic style with an easy commute for you?.

We've a club stickie in the forum, you could check that out for something in your area.

Or you could give us an idea what you'd like if Hapkido wasn't available (and thats the reality for you at the moment).

Why are you drawn to Hapkido in particular?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Given that most hapkido that I've seen is basically generic jujutsu being done by TKD guys and that wado ryu originally used yoshin ryu jujutsu to "fill it's gaps", the OP might consider jujutsu as an alternative. Or ninjutsu, i think the ninjas claim yoshin ryu in their syllabus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

OP there just isnt enough interest in Hapkido.Throwing your toys out of the pram because there isnt,isnt gonna change the facts that there is no club in dublin.

An UGLY child perhaps?... :p

/Puts on Mods hat...

No, I'm not locking it.

Yomchi closed it, you asked to have it opened again and its blown up in your face. I bet Yomchi knew this when the original lock was applied to the thread (we've seen this happen too often).

Sorry to sound harsh, but you can't have threads unlocked & locked again on demand, so I'm leaving it open, other's have a right to speak on the subject too.

/Mod hat off now..

Would you consider a more realistic style with an easy commute for you?.

We've a club stickie in the forum, you could check that out for something in your area.

Or you could give us an idea what you'd like if Hapkido wasn't available (and thats the reality for you at the moment).

Why are you drawn to Hapkido in particular?

OK, I'll take it on the chin Ari Creamy Boy...

I'm drawn to Hapkido because it basically looks like the all-round Martial Art.... It is a combination of various techniques that leave you almost protected from most attacks....

Throws, Joint/Nerve Locks, Punches, Kicks, Strikes... It is a truly diverse art.

I'm just a little fed up with Taekwondo dominating the scene of Korean Martial Arts in Ireland... Particularly Dublin where there should be more on offer.

I'll make efforts myself to create something... I'm sure this is what happened when Karate wasn't as widely available here in the old days.

Unpossible wrote: »
    Have you made contact with any higher belts from HKD ? Yourself and a few HKD students can set up your own training group as other have suggested, then you just need to coordinate with the Head instructors in Dublin so you can take one or two classes with them per month and have a seminar every few months, your group then meet once or twice a week on your own to train. The higher belts should be able to help you get your first few belts and once the club has more momentum you can show Black belts that it is viable for them to come over and teach.
    Be warned there is a lot involved with starting up a club, but at least your head instructors will be in the same country as you.

I've spoken with Instructors in the UK... They do arrange seminars here if there is demand for them but they have no contact at all with any Hapkido Schools in Ireland.

One of the people was the UK Secretary of DukMoo whom have a presence in Germany, France, Greece and Britain.

One woman in London whom teaches HKD in Blackfriars said she only knows of Bray... where Irish people whom visited her class from Dublin said that it wasn't easy to get due to where they lived. They tried commuting but they just got fed up with the hassle.

It looks like that I'll be on my own for this... Wish me luck because I am determined to learn this style without having to go off the bleeding track and make it more available.

Do you want me to get Eugene's details? You work around the airport, he teaches in Swords/Malahide. Sounds like the perfect match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I'm drawn to Hapkido because it basically looks like the all-round Martial Art.... It is a combination of various techniques that leave you almost protected from most attacks....

Throws, Joint/Nerve Locks, Punches, Kicks, Strikes... It is a truly diverse art.

I'm just a little fed up with Taekwondo dominating the scene of Korean Martial Arts in Ireland... Particularly Dublin where there should be more on offer.

I agree with this statement because TKD really focus on kicks and something with a bit more variety maybe able to change peoples mind of how practical it actually is in real life situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

Doesn't Bujinkan have all of those? There's plenty of that around Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ug Lee wrote: »
    Do you want me to get Eugene's details? You work around the airport, he teaches in Swords/Malahide. Sounds like the perfect match.

Eugene isn't around any more.

He's gone fishing!. (seriously).

There are no details for Eugene McQuillan Available, I've searched far and wide to be told that he finished teaching hapkido years ago... 2006 I saw elsewhere.

The guy I work with says he trained with one of Eugene's instructors in the Portmarnock Sports Centre. The instructors name is Daniel and his number is 0877612195.

Have fun. :D

unknown13 wrote: »
    I agree with this statement because TKD really focus on kicks and something with a bit more variety maybe able to change peoples mind of how practical it actually is in real life situations.

Thank you Unknown13... That is one of the reasons why I think HKD should be more widely available in Dublin.

It has techniques that you can use to great affect in difficult real-life situations which god forbid a person should find themselves in... Hapkido has the speciality of restraining people in a variety of ways.

Taekwondo is very limited in this regard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

It has techniques that you can use to great affect in difficult real-life situations which god forbid a person should find themselves in... Hapkido has the speciality of restraining people in a variety of ways.

Taekwondo is very limited in this regard

Can I ask what your experience is in both hapkido and taekwondo to make such sweeping statements?

This hapkido stuff is completely unique and isn't in ANY way exactly like aikido.

And it defintely is'nt exactly like the training you'd see in most jujutsu/ninjutsu clubs

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Bambi wrote: »
    This hapkido stuff is completely unique and isn't in ANY way exactly like aikido.

Please tell me that was sarcasm.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Damo W

Koryu Uchinadi Kenpo-jutsu contains all of this and more, its available in Dublin plus its a 'karate' so its concepts will be easily merged into your existing art.

www.ku-dublin.com

Clive wrote: »
    Can I ask what your experience is in both hapkido and taekwondo to make such sweeping statements?

I studied Taekwondo for years, I can certainly comment on this because Taekwondo is predominently a kicking art... There are no joint locks or takedowns that are taught in its curriculum.

I returned to Karate because for self-defence... Punches and strikes are alot more powerful & quick than a kick.
    Bambi wrote: »

Aikido doesn't allow much kicking and there are no airborne techniques... If I was to compare Seagal to Master Ji Han Jae, I would bet master Ji Han Jae would win because he has more techniques at his disposal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

I sense you don't have the will young grasshopper

You seem to find many excuses for why the great universe is not providing you with the results you desire

You should read Maeve's post by Geoff Thompson and maybe you will find some devine inspiration to get the fecking bus to bray

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Quillo

Massan Ghorbani in Bray teaches Sin Moo Hapkido. SM Hapkido was developed by Ji Han Jae and is a blending of what he was taught by Choi Yong Sul and Taoist Lee. Ji Han Jae also added in some philosophical elements and breathing techniques.

Choi appears to have been learned some Daito Ryu with Takeda Sokaku around about the time Aikido founder Morihei Ueshiba was also training with Takeda. (What exactly Choi learned and what his involvement with Takeda was remains a matter of dispute.)

Taoist Lee taught Ji Han Jae mediation, the use of the Jang-Bong (6' staff), the Dan-Bong (short stick), and Taek-Kyun or Tek Gi yun, kicking.

I would say that, while some elements of SMHKD certainly have self defense applications, there is also some syllabus material that, while it's looks fantastic at demonstrations, really has no practical application in the rain outside the local takeaway in the wee small hours (for mere mortals anyway) ....

The only way HKD came to the South East was through the hard work of the likes of Tony Deady, Alan Sullivan and Ritchie Rowsell travelling up to seminars in Dublin and putting in the time and effort. If you can't put in the effort then, in my opinion, you haven't earned the right to complain about its absence.

I sense you don't have the will young grasshopper

You seem to find many excuses for why the great universe is not providing you with the results you desire

You should read Maeve's post by Geoff Thompson and maybe you will find some devine inspiration to get the fecking bus to bray

Jason, enough the snide mocking comments... If you have nothing to do apart from throwing insults. Just ignore the thread, because it is uncalled for and unhelpful.

Getting to Bray on a weeknight from where I work and get back from it where I live, as a journey would take more than 3 hours and would dishearten the strongest & most determined of men... Bray is not that easy to get to from most parts of Dublin.

Good for those whom can geth there with ease.... but most cannot.
    Quillo wrote: »
    Massan Ghorbani in Bray teaches Sin Moo Hapkido. SM Hapkido was developed by Ji Han Jae and is a blending of what he was taught by Choi Yong Sul and Taoist Lee. Ji Han Jae also added in some philosophical elements and breathing techniques.

The only way HKD came to the South East was through the hard work of the likes of Tony Deady, Alan Sullivan and Ritchie Rowsell travelling up to seminars in Dublin and putting in the time and effort. If you can't put in the effort then, in my opinion, you haven't earned the right to complain about its absence.

I have a right to highlight its absence and the right to ask why it isn't more available; from a practical sense it is ridiculous that it isn't in the Dublin Area & Bray isn't in Dublin.

Hapkdio has a presence in most european capital cities except Dublin; that is what I would like to see as a thing of the past.

To everyone else... Please stop with the personal jibes, I am very thick skinned but this is a forum and it deserves to have its reputation for respect upheld... even if you disagree with a poster.

I am going to make steps myself to create a class in dublin by making enquiries of what is already known.

All the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Eugene isn't around any more.

He's gone fishing!. (seriously).

Eugene McGuillan had a full time club in a building beside my house, I can confirm it has been closed for some time. he did have other non-full time around malahide/swords etc. but I'll take Ari Creamy Boy's word for it that he's not teaching anymore.

I really don't think there is any merit in HKD tbh, it just looks like bits and pieces of Karate/TKD/jujitsu strung together in a traditional martial art format.

Obviously the most sensible option would be to train in a MMA club as they usually have specific trainers for Striking, Clinch and Ground (locks and chokes etc.)

Getting to Bray on a weeknight from where I work and get back from it where I live, as a journey would take more than 3 hours and would dishearten the strongest & most determined of men... Bray is not that easy to get to from most parts of Dublin. Good for those whom can geth there with ease.... but most cannot.

I don't know if you saw my post about classes in the Portmarnock Sports Centre run by one of Eugene's assistant instructors. Have you contacted him or are you going to?

Please tell me that was sarcasm.:eek:

It was prime rib sarcasm in a sarcasm sauce with a sarcasm soufflé for afters

I am going to make steps myself to create a class in dublin by making enquiries of what is already known.

All the best

Now, that's better....find a venue, arrange some seminars, actually make an effort and forget the Facebook nonsense :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

What is even Hapkido anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

Chris89 wrote: »

From what I gather it's pretty much Korean Ju Jutsu.

• Advertisement

Chris89 wrote: »

Reasonable definition at:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hapkido

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement