Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Support the Hapkido in Dublin Campaign - Join this group" [TITLE CHANGE]

Options
  • 09-01-2010 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=258631533627

I know from a previous thread that there are hapkido clubs in Ireland but one thing which I just cannot get to grips with is this.

Dublin, a city of 1 million people. There are virtually very few/no hapkido clubs in the area; I mean they are either very hard to find or they are so invisible, they don't appear to even exist.

I have been told of two in dublin: One taught by a Master Beveridge in a community centre near rialto & the coombe and another in Aughrim Street Parish.... which will be out of the way as I am going to be going back to university.

The only places where there have been definite advertisements of this art are: Cork, Waterford and Wicklow.

I am aware of Grandmaster Ghorbhanni in Bray; but Bray isn't Dublin... He is widely respected and seeing his list of very impressive achievements, I'd love to have him as my master. The problem is that for most people in Dublin who don't live on the dartline, this isn't really a possibility.

How can this be? Why aren't there more around either in the city centre or in the suburbs?

It's a shame because I really want to take this style up and there are very few places that teach it....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭DaBrow

:confused:

Why aren't there any replies?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Becasue it's not popular?

yomchi wrote: »
    Becasue it's not popular?

I think the reason would be that there isn't even a proper presence of it; let's imagine taekwondo wasn't present in Dublin.

How would they get noticed? I think they started out by promoting themselves and setting up classes, that is how I would grow.

Fair enough. Problem solved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Eugene McQuillan filled IrishFighter Mag with Hapkido for the last few years and it still never took off in Dublin, guess its just not all that popular here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Dawei

I guess it is just not as popular as TKD, since the latter is in the olympics. TKD is more popular than Kung fu in china among young people, how sad is that.

BTW, I think there is another one in Baggot street no too sure though if it is akido , or hapkido.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Ug Lee

I know I am being picky but Dublin City only has a population of about a half million and Dublin County another half million so its a million altogether.

I would also be wary of wanting someone to become "your master" I can understand wanting someone who is a master to become your teacher but "my master" sounds dadgy.

Ug Lee wrote: »
    I know I am being picky but Dublin City only has a population of about a half million and Dublin County another half million so its a million altogether.

I would also be wary of wanting someone to become "your master" I can understand wanting someone who is a master to become your teacher but "my master" sounds dadgy.

God knows Irish people have had enough masters through the centuries. I don't like this term either and it makes me cringe. However I think if you put it into the context of martial arts it resembles the eastern/oriental/confucian way of thinking which has been adopted, somewhat oddly, by western some people involved in eastern martial systems.

Back on topic, I think Eugene is finished with Hapkido, or Combat Hapkido as it was called. I haven't heard sight nor sound of him in years. I could be wrong though.

God knows Irish people have had enough masters through the centuries. I don't like this term either and it makes me cringe. However I think if you put it into the context of martial arts it resembles the eastern/oriental/confucian way of thinking which has been adopted, somewhat oddly, by western some people involved in eastern martial systems.

Back on topic, I think Eugene is finished with Hapkido, or Combat Hapkido as it was called. I haven't heard sight nor sound of him in years. I could be wrong though.

The Term Master which I have mentioned; is purely the oriental philosphy of the teacher and the student learning the art to pass it on.

The other thread on this subject had a poster who confirmed that Eugene McQuinlan/Quillan left dublin and moved to tenerife... to become a fisherman.

Let's just think about this though; is it really acceptable for an international capital city to have no presence whatsoever of Hapkido? Not even a single class based in the city centre that is advertised? If there was I'm sure it would have a greater presence...

This is a golden opportunity for any hapkido association to exploit... Why not for the few ones we have available which for some strange reason are outside the capital?

Eugene McQuillan filled IrishFighter Mag with Hapkido for the last few years and it still never took off in Dublin, guess its just not all that popular here.

I think the reason why was because it was based in Portmarnock; which unless if you lived there would be a nightmare for others to get to on an evening.

Dublin is sadly a city which has terrible traffic management due to the number of cars that clog up the roads to and fro the city; The Buses are fairly reliable but still rather limited in areas they travel to and from.... the only true way of commuting suburb to suburb when you live on the other side of the liffey is either the dart/own transport/ A Metro which should have been developed many years ago.

There officially isn't one hapkido class in the dublin city/county area... only Bray which you can get to if you catch the dart or bus to there in wicklow.

• Advertisement

Apparently Eugene is still teaching. A work colleague started training with him a few months ago. He was telling me that "a lot" of the class (up to one hour) is physical conditioning.

For me, calling someone "my master" is the first step on the road to abandoning critical/independent thinking. It is due to this type of thinking that we have had all the problems with the church, Mao, etc.

But maybe I am just being arsey. ;)

It is due to this type of thinking that we have had all the problems with the church, Mao, etc.

With respect, let's please leave the church out of this discussion that is completely separate and a heated subject given what some pervertors did... this is about why hapkido isn't more widely available in Dublin.

The term master is used in the context of a teacher that has many years of knowledge behind them educating and passing on his knowledge to a student who is worthy of learning the art... not a title that allows someone to treat others lower than in experience like a slave.

A martial arts student isn't forced to think the exact same as their teacher... but they should obey what they are taught in class and accept that their teacher has more years of wisom/experience... It is student who has to acknowledge they have a responsibility to use their knowledge for good.

Apparently Eugene is still teaching. A work colleague started training with him a few months ago. He was telling me that "a lot" of the class (up to one hour) is physical conditioning.

For me, calling someone "my master" is the first step on the road to abandoning critical/independent thinking. It is due to this type of thinking that we have had all the problems with the church, Mao, etc.

We've had problems with Mao?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

LOL @ the facebook group!

I started one yesterday "Why isn'y my bin collected on a Sunday". I'm expecting once I reach 12 members I'll get Dublin City Council to agree.

Roper wrote: »
    LOL @ the facebook group!

I started one yesterday "Why isn'y my bin collected on a Sunday". I'm expecting once I reach 12 members I'll get Dublin City Council to agree.

It's relatively new, so no cheap shots please... Sunday BTW is supposed to be a day of rest.

This group will grow naturally as it is only a few days old and I don't know anyone in Dublin whom practises Hapkido... the purpose is to find out or influence more hapkido clubs to emerge in Dublin.

What do you like about Hapkido and where do you live?

What do you like about Hapkido and where do you live?

I live near Terenure and I'd like to learn Hapkido partly because I remember seeing Ji Han Jae in the Game of Death using the art.... I was amazed at the disposal of techniques that it offered.

A book by Steven Tedeschi called Hapkido: Traditions, Philosphy & Technique just blew me away.

I remember reading an old article on Master's Temple that about nearly 3 years ago there was going to be a class opening in Rathmines with a Master Ken Mahony teaching, but there is no trace of a class and also Master Ghorbhanni after a email exchange didn't mention your man in rathmines either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

DaBrow wrote: »
    It's relatively new, so no cheap shots please... Sunday BTW is supposed to be a day of rest.

This group will grow naturally as it is only a few days old and I don't know anyone in Dublin whom practises Hapkido... the purpose is to find out or influence more hapkido clubs to emerge in Dublin.
    Mate it's not a cheap shot. Sitting on your hole expecting Facebook to do your work for you is just silly.

If you're really that interested, get off your chair and get the bus/2 buses/bus and Dart to somewhere.

Roper wrote: »
    Mate it's not a cheap shot. Sitting on your hole expecting Facebook to do your work for you is just silly.

If you're really that interested, get off your chair and get the bus/2 buses/bus and Dart to somewhere.

The group is for anyone in Dublin that has the same frustration as me in this area.

I don't have a car which is what would be required and quite frankly it's ridiculous that Dublin with the population of over a million doesn't have this art in it's boundries.

I live in Dublin 6 and it would be a logical tiring to go home after work.... cook dinner and make my way out to Bray for 8.30pm finish at 10pm and make my way back to where I live on public transport when by that time the buses/darts are not as frequent.

It's easier said than done.... There should be at least a few more easily accessible classes within Dublin than having to commute outside the county.

http://massanghorbanimasterstemple.com/timetable.php

Grandmaster Ghorbhanni only teaches Hapkido on Mondays/Thursdays at 9pm til 10.30pm & a Friday at 7-8pm.... These times are really awkward for me and getting to bray and back from there at those times are not easy.

I think Dublin with over a million in population not having a metro is more of an argument.

• Advertisement

I think Dublin with over a million in population not having a metro is more of an argument.

Please can we stick to the topic? That isn't relevant to Martial Arts discussion, I think it's ridiculous that for the capital of Ireland which is the first city of this country... we have a very limited selection of martial arts to learn.

If you went to London, Paris, Madrid, Rome or even the accession states... you'd find a hapkido club in their capitals... but not Ireland?

I live in Dublin 6 and it would be a logical tiring to go home after work.... cook dinner and make my way out to Bray for 8.30pm finish at 10pm and make my way back to where I live on public transport when by that time the buses/darts are not as frequent.

It's easier said than done.... There should be at least a few more easily accessible classes within Dublin than having to commute outside the county.

http://massanghorbanimasterstemple.com/timetable.php

Grandmaster Ghorbhanni only teaches Hapkido on Mondays/Thursdays at 9pm til 10.30pm & a Friday at 7-8pm.... These times are really awkward for me and getting to bray and back from there at those times are not easy.

I used to train every Saturday in Warrenpoint. I got up at 6.30 in the morning, took a bus into Connolly Street, got the train to Newry, got a taxi to Warrenpoint and did the same in the evening. I would get home at 6.30pm.

Where do you work? Don't go home after work. Go to Bray and get a sandwich in the spar, train and get into bed at 12.30 or whatever.

And stop whinging.

I used to train every Saturday in Warrenpoint. I got up at 6.30 in the morning, took a bus into Connolly Street, got the train to Newry, got a taxi to Warrenpoint and did the same in the evening. I would get home at 6.30pm.

Where do you work? Don't go home after work. Go to Bray and get a sandwich in the spar, train and get into bed at 12.30 or whatever.

And stop whinging.

I work near the Airport and believe me catching the 16A every morning early, especially when it's not even rush hour is busy enough.

I'm strongly considering going back to University in October; by that time I'll have very little money as I'm saving cash to do a masters aswell as find a place to live near DCU.

Once I'm back at university, I'm only going to be able to travel when and where necessary... I won't have the luxury of a car or not worrying about how much travel will cost.

I'm not whinging, I think it's just crazy that as a potential student of this Art... I cannot find one in my own town/city.

Yet you can find at least one in Riga, Paris, Brussels or Lisbon

P.S.
    I admire your spirit that you had commuting to Warrenpoint but that just seems crazy, Newry is more than 60 miles for a class... I see why you likely stopped because that is too far.

I admire your spirit that you had commuting to Warrenpoint but that just seems crazy, Newry is more than 60 miles for a class... I see why you likely stopped because that is too far.

Thanks but I travelled to Newry on a Saturday to get to a certain level while also training in Dublin City Centre on a Tuesday and Thursday. I now travel to the UK and Germany for seminars while teaching in Dublin. I have students who travel from Navan, Athlone, and Sligo on a weekly basis.

You seem to feel strongly about Hapkido. That is fair enough but the responsibility for training in it is for you to travel. I really don't think you are going to get any sympathy for this thread.

Thanks but I travelled to Newry on a Saturday to get to a certain level while also training in Dublin City Centre on a Tuesday and Thursday. I now travel to the UK and Germany for seminars while teaching in Dublin. I have students who travel from Navan, Athlone, and Sligo on a weekly basis.

You seem to feel strongly about Hapkido. That is fair enough but the responsibility for training in it is for you to travel. I really don't think you are going to get any sympathy for this thread.

I think what you're telling me is striking.... I can't believe that people have to travel so far for training or seminars.

This just really shows that Hapkido needs support or some form of network of solidarity for it to grow.... Can you PM your details on what and where you teach this art?

I have contacted Hapkido schools in Britain like Dukmoo whom are present in France, Greece, Germany & the UK... They have said they would arrnage a seminar if they know the turnout will be good. http://www.dukmoo.com/links.php

The European Hapkido Alliance's nearest class was far away from me aswell.... http://www.hapki.co.uk/

I lived in Britain/England for years and there are no hapkido clubs near where I used to live; It's either Newcastle & Teeside or Further the South you go.

I used to travel to cork for squad training and I travelled to Bulgaria to grade last time out. Jump on the dart to Bray, problem solved.
    Please can we stick to the topic? That isn't relevant to Martial Arts discussion,

It might be a martial arts discussion forum, but your travel problems were raised by you, hence my reply.

I tend to agree that this thread is a bit futile. There are no Hapkido clubs in Dublin. Sin é. Nothing more you can do except make the effort to travel to one or take up Aikido, which is identicle.

I used to travel to cork for squad training and I travelled to Bulgaria to grade last time out. Jump on the dart to Bray, problem solved.

It might be a martial arts discussion forum, but your travel problems were raised by you, hence my reply.

I tend to agree that this thread is a bit futile. There are no Hapkido clubs in Dublin. Sin é. Nothing more you can do except make the effort to travel to one or take up Aikido, which is identicle.

This thread isn't futile; it's a genuine issue which from aspiring students I think is entirely relevant to Martials Arts discussion.

Dublin should have Hapkido Schools exactly in its boundary but for some unusual reason it doesn't..... Why?

More importantly why do you have to travel to the ends of the earth to get to one? Especially when you can't get there and back with relative ease?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

This thread is futile; it's a genuine issue which from aspiring students I think is entirely relevant to Martials Arts discussion.

Dublin should have Hapkido Schools exactly in its boundary but for some unusual reason it doesn't..... Why?

More importantly why do you have to travel to the ends of the earth to get to one? Especially when you can't get there and back with relative ease?

Why should Dublin have a Hapkido school? Perhaps the lack of one is due to the small number of schools in Ireland. Perhaps it was cheaper for the existing schools to set up elsewhere. There's plenty of styles I'd like to see around but I don't start moaning about it.

Why should Dublin have a Hapkido school? There's plenty of styles I'd like to see around but I don't start moaning about it.

Dublin should have one because most european capitals have at least one; why should we not? It's a reasonable question to ask.

I apologise if I appear to be moaning; I'm not but I am just very frustrated that for a capital of over a million people... There isn't a great variety to choose from.

I study Wado Ryu but I would like to have another art that I can become familiar with also... TKD isn't really that different and nothing else appears as exciting.

• Advertisement

There isn't a great variety to choose from.

There is a hugh amount of martial arts to choose from in Dublin. Just not the one you happen to be interested in. Probably the reason why there are not more Hapkido clubs is because teachers don't want to go to all the trouble of setting up in the City Centre and have whingers like you say, "I can't travel all the way to the City Centre because I live all the way out in Terenure/work near the airport, etc"

My girlfriend is sitting beside me watching me write this and is rolling her eyes at what I am writing. :D She says I am a big child. I agree.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement