Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Support the Hapkido in Dublin Campaign - Join this group" [TITLE CHANGE]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

DaBrow wrote: »
    Dublin should have one because most european capitals have at least one; why should we not? It's a reasonable question to ask.

I apologise if I appear to be moaning; I'm not but I am just very frustrated that for a capital of over a million people... There isn't a great variety to choose from.

I study Wado Ryu but I would like to have another art that I can become familiar with also... TKD isn't really that different and nothing else appears as exciting.

You're coming across as if you think by right we should a Hapkido school and are looking for someone to give out to over it. Should or shouldn't doesn't come into it. It's whether or not there's enough coaches around and if they can afford to rent a hall in Dublin. Also if there's enough interest around to make it feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

• There is no Hapkido club in Dublin
    • If you like Hapkido this is a bummer
    • There is no Hapkido in Dublin because it's not popular enough
    • If you like Hapkido this is a bummer
    • There should be a Hapkido club in Dublin
    • We all agree
    • However there IS one in Bray
    • Go there

No end of discussion here will bring about your Hapkido club, therefore the thread is futile and now locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OP I think this is the thread which you said Yomchi said could be opened again, if its not I apologise to Yomchi.

Here's a suggestion for you - get in touch with an established Hapkido club and see if they'll support you if you start a training group in Dublin City Centre.

Its really no big deal, we'd a young lad in one of our Judo clubs, a white belt but he was moving to the midlands with his job.

He loved Judo and wanted to continue in a town without a club, so he started a training group and has some black belts who are willing to travel and over look the club and gradings occasionally and last I heard its got a growing membership and the lad is on his yellow belt!.

Just something for you to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

DaBrow, have you even gone to a single hapkido class yet?

Have fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭DaBrow

DaBrow, have you even gone to a single hapkido class yet?

Yes, I've been to a few... I watched the classes and that is why I liked the look of it .

I work near Dublin Airport and the days/times that are offered in Master Ghorbhanni's Dojang are not possible for me... I don't have a car and getting out of Collinstown is a pain after 5pm because you can be stuck for hours with traffic.

The whole basis of this thread is to make Hapkido more available in the Dublin Area, so if you support this idea then please stop dwelling on Bray... It is not easy to get to at all during the week.

You just watched, instead of participating? That's hilarious, but I'm getting off the point here.

So really the problem is not that there isn't hapkido in Dublin, the problem is that there isn't any hapkido in Dublin that fits in with your schedule. There's a very simple fix to this - pick something else.

There's nothing particularly fantastic about HKD to set it apart from the many other options that are available to you. It's basically just TKD/TSD crossed with aikido and a couple of judo throws. Any of the "traditional" styles of jujutsu or maybe kempo would give you a reasonable approximation to it.

You just watched, instead of participating? That's hilarious, but I'm getting off the point here.

So really the problem is not that there isn't hapkido in Dublin, the problem is that there isn't any hapkido in Dublin that fits in with your schedule. There's a very simple fix to this - pick something else.

The whole point of this thread is for campaigning to have Hapkido more widely available in Dublin... Having a city of a Million People and not being able to have a club that you can get to easily is ridiculous.... There are many in DUblin like myself who share this frustration. I made contact with several UK Based Hapkido Schools if they had links in Ireland; they say that they have had hundreds of Irish people enquire or even fly over there to train... That shows how much demand there is for this.

Doug, if you are just going to just throw unhelpful jibes... Don't bother posting.

I am being helpful. I just gave you a viable solution to your problem.

An alternative solution might be for you to get a group of people together and arrange to take privates together and split the cost. You might be able to have these at a time that's more suitable fro your schedule. If this training group takes off, it could lead to a situation where the person giving the classes sets up something more permanent in a more central location.

I don't see what result you expect a facebook group to have. Getting a suitable training location in the city centre is difficult and expensive. No one is going to set something like this up based on a couple of people saying the might train if it becomes available. There's a huge drop out rate for new students so the facebook group would have to be huge in order to contain a viable number of long term students.

This is beginning to get on my nerves to honest. DaBrow there's not much that people on here can do to get Hapkido classes with times that suit you to set up in Dublin. Even if we all join your group, it's not going to do much good. Every style in Ireland arrived here by one of three methods (that I can think of). 1. People lived abroad for a few years and trained their style there. When the returned to Ireland they brought their style with them and set up here 2. Foreigners moved to Ireland bringing their styles with them or 3. People here attended seminars from visiting instructors and traveled abroad to train and grade every few months. As I said before, the rent for space in Dublin is massive and probably a major reason why many don't set up here. There's also nothing ridiculous about a particular sport not being available in a particular city. It's not that easy for people to just up an move to an island in the Atlantic. I could moan about BJJ being the only submission wrestling style (that I know of) that has any decent representation in Ireland, and start campaigning for more Luta Livre and Catch Wrestling clubs. But it doesn't bother me at all and even then moaning won't achieve anything.
    Anyway, why don't you go to the Hapkido forum on Martial Arts Planet and talk to people there. You'll probably get more help there than on here. http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49

• Advertisement

Wait I've got it!

1. Phone up the guy in Bray, find out how much he charges per hour to give a group class. If he doesn't do this, make him an offer.

2. Start looking for somewhere to hold these classes.

3. Once you have the venue and instructor sorted, decide how much you're going to charge students per class. You'll have to cover the cost of the instructor and the hall, and maybe some insurance.

4 Print some flyers, throw together a website, and post the info here and anywhere else you can get some exposure.

5 Congratulations, you've got your HKD club.

I am being helpful. I just gave you a viable solution to your problem.

An alternative solution might be for you to get a group of people together and arrange to take privates together and split the cost. You might be able to have these at a time that's more suitable fro your schedule. If this training group takes off, it could lead to a situation where the person giving the classes sets up something more permanent in a more central location.

I don't see what result you expect a facebook group to have. Getting a suitable training location in the city centre is difficult and expensive. No one is going to set something like this up based on a couple of people saying the might train if it becomes available. There's a huge drop out rate for new students so the facebook group would have to be huge in order to contain a viable number of long term students.

Firstly Doug, I practise Karate and reaching the Dan Grade very soon. I'm not qualified to teach any other Art, I'd like to learn an art that is very similar to what I already do but has more techniques to fill in the gaps Wado Ryu has currently.

I know there is demand for Hapkido in Dublin and judging from the economy side of things relating to expense... Dublin is going to become cheaper because it will have to as city in order for it to survive commercially.

Taekwondo classes are taught in Dublin City Centre... I don't see them in trouble. So I don't see what would prevent another Korean Martial Art from sinking before it even gets afloat in the water.
    This is beginning to get on my nerves to honest. DaBrow there's not much that people on here can do to get Hapkido classes with times that suit you to set up in Dublin. Even if we all join your group, it's not going to do much good. Every style in Ireland arrived here by one of three methods (that I can think of). 1. People lived abroad for a few years and trained their style there. When the returned to Ireland they brought their style with them and set up here 2. Foreigners moved to Ireland bringing their styles with them or 3. People here attended seminars from visiting instructors and traveled abroad to train and grade every few months. As I said before, the rent for space in Dublin is massive and probably a major reason why many don't set up here. There's also nothing ridiculous about a particular sport not being available in a particular city. It's not that easy for people to just up an move to an island in the Atlantic. I could moan about BJJ being the only submission wrestling style (that I know of) that has any decent representation in Ireland, and start campaigning for more Luta Livre and Catch Wrestling clubs. But it doesn't bother me at all and even then moaning won't achieve anything.
    Anyway, why don't you go to the Hapkido forum on Martial Arts Planet and talk to people there. You'll probably get more help there than on here. http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Furious Dave, I spoke with a guy (The UK Secretary of a School based in 4 Countries) who said that if there were 30 people whom hand over heart said they would want a seminar held by their Instructor over in Ireland... It would be booked and if there was demand for classes...

Then they would take further steps... All I am asking is for people to show their support by joining the group link on page 1 and convince potential schools that Dublin is a safe bet to establish something.

Wait I've got it!

1. Phone up the guy in Bray, find out how much he charges per hour to give a group class. If he doesn't do this, make him an offer.

2. Start looking for somewhere to hold these classes.

3. Once you have the venue and instructor sorted, decide how much you're going to charge students per class. You'll have to cover the cost of the instructor and the hall, and maybe some insurance.

4 Print some flyers, throw together a website, and post the info here and anywhere else you can get some exposure.

5 Congratulations, you've got your HKD club.

I'll consider that Doug Thank you....

I think GrandMaster Ghorbhanni has enough on his plate from his timetable, but I'm sure he has some very brilliant students that are qualified to teach and they probably live in Dublin too.

I'll do that when I can

Furious Dave, I spoke with a guy (The UK Secretary of a School based in 4 Countries) who said that if there were 30 people whom hand over heart said they would want a seminar held by their Instructor over in Ireland... It would be booked and if there was demand for classes...

Then they would take further steps... All I am asking is for people to show their support by joining the group link on page 1 and convince potential schools that Dublin is a safe bet to establish something.

Fair enough. I've no interest in Hapkido myself but I hope it works out for you.

Firstly Doug, I practise Karate and reaching the Dan Grade very soon.
    Good for you.
    I'm not qualified to teach any other Art,
    What's that got to do with anything?
    I'd like to learn an art that is very similar to what I already do but has more techniques to fill in the gaps Wado Ryu has currently.
    This actually doesn't make much sense to me, but I suppose that's another thread's discussion.
    I know there is demand for Hapkido in Dublin
    You know, or you think? Quote me some figures, and tell me how you calculated them.
    and judging from the economy side of things relating to expense... Dublin is going to become cheaper because it will have to as city in order for it to survive commercially.
    I'm not to great at making economic predictions, so I'll leave that to you.
    Taekwondo classes are taught in Dublin City Centre... I don't see them in trouble. So I don't see what would prevent another Korean Martial Art from sinking before it even gets afloat in the water.
    The market is saturated, and this new class doesn't have any established students.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

There is a club in Bray, a half an hour DART ride from Pearse or Tara street and the 145 goes to Bray, which serves the main parts of town and you have the M50 brings you to Bray aswell. Why don't just go to Bray because it is not impossible to get to.

If this was Cork, Limerick or Galway I would understand but Dublin makes no sense when there is a club in Bray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Ug Lee

Ok, it is very simple. Ask for a private lesson once a week. You can still do your Karate and also fill the gaps with your Hapkido.

Hold on, I know what you are going to say, "I can't afford private lessons" :(

Boo, fvcking, hoo.

unknown13 wrote: »
    There is a club in Bray, a half an hour DART ride from Pearse or Tara street and the 145 goes to Bray, which serves the main parts of town and you have the M50 brings you to Bray aswell. Why don't just go to Bray because it is not impossible to get to.

If this was Cork, Limerick or Galway I would understand but Dublin makes no sense when there is a club in Bray.

Please read the other page... I don't have a car or live on the Dart Line.

I don't know why many people think it's easy to get to Bray from every part of Dublin?

It isn't unless you either live close to there by bus, by car or Dart.

Bray is literally for most Dubliners out of the way

Ug Lee wrote: »
    Ok, it is very simple. Ask for a private lesson once a week. You can still do your Karate and also fill the gaps with your Hapkido.

Hold on, I know what you are going to say, "I can't afford private lessons" :(

Boo, fvcking, hoo.

Ug Lee, grow up and I would like an apology for that nasty spiteful comment... It was unnecessary disrespectful and not needed.

I've said already that Master Ghorbhanni has his hands full judging from his timetable so I doubt he has the time to offer me private lessons...

I will though ask if he has high ranking students that would teach me closer to home and even setup a class.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

746 bus from collinstown to dunlaoighaire, dart from dunlaoighaire to bray?

But even tom crean wouldnt have dared to undertake such a journey...

• Advertisement

Ug Lee, grow up and I would like an apology for that nasty spiteful comment... It was unnecessary disrespectful and not needed.

I've said already that Master Ghorbhanni has his hands full judging from his timetable so I doubt he has the time to offer me private lessons...

I will though ask if he has high ranking students that would teach me closer to home and even setup a class.

I am a nasty spiteful person. :D

Why don't you ask Master Ghorbhanni first? I am sure if you made a little effort you could make it out to Bray once a week.

Bambi wrote: »
    746 bus from collinstown to dunlaoighaire, dart from dunlaoighaire to bray?

But even tom crean wouldnt have dared to undertake such a journey...

Enough of the sarcasm please.

Seriously, why do some people think the status quo of No HKD Clubs in Dublin is a good one?

Why do people like yourself think that Bray is the Answer to everything on the subject of Hapkido in the Dublin Area? Bray is not Dublin... It is wicklow and out of the way for most Dubliners unless they live there.

How can a potential student say from Lucan, Citywest, Swords or St Margarets get to Bray easily and back on a weekday?

Finally... I live in Dublin 6. Sure I could take the 746 after work and wait a while to go to bray and attend the class? One problem exists on how I could get home when I have no car and there isn't a bus from Dun Laoghaire to Harold's Cross.

Finally... I live in Dublin 6. Sure I could take the 746 after work and wait a while to go to bray and attend the class? One problem exists on how I could get home when I have no car and there isn't a bus from Dun Laoghaire to Harold's Cross.

Get the 746 after work to Dun Laoghaire and then the dart to Bray. Then when you finish at 10-10.30, get the dart to the city centre and bus or walk to harolds cross.

OR

ask the instructor for private lessons instead of assuming he is too busy.

AND

when you cross the road look left and right and don't take lifts from strangers.

This thread is the best there has been in ages. :D

Get's my vote too :p

And with that, lads I can feel your despair but if the discussion is really that annoying its best to ignore the thread, or leave out the smart assed replies. They're unhelpful and only serve to turn new visitors away from the forum, thanks.

Get the 746 after work to Dun Laoghaire and then the dart to Bray. Then when you finish at 10-10.30, get the dart to the city centre and bus or walk to harolds cross.

AND

when you cross the road look left and right and don't take lifts from strangers.

I don't think you realise how long it takes to get from Bray to Tara Street on an evening.... 40Mins there and back both ways!

The Last bus to Harolds Cross leaves at 2310hrs for most services and waiting for the last service at 2330hrs which isn't as regular is not recommended when especially it is from Eden Quay.

Mods is there an ignore function?

Why can't people just get into their heads that the status quo is acceptable?

The Total travelling time to Bray and waiting is more than 3 hours if you include traffic!

I don't think you realise how long it takes to get from Bray to Tara Street on an evening.... 40Mins both ways!

The Last bus to Harolds Cross leaves at 2310hrs for most services and waiting for the last service at 2330hrs which isn't as regular is not recommended when especially it is from Eden Quay.

Mods is there an ignore function?

Why can't people just get into their heads that the status quo is acceptable?

The Total travelling time to Bray and waiting is a total of more than 3 hours if you include traffic!

Honestly you'd try the patience of a saint!.

Ask any of the senior BJJ guys (here in Ireland) how they initially trained and graded. I remember reading how John Kavanagh travelled between here and the USA to learn the art.

I think Roper once wrote about travelling what you'd consider huge distances to learn some BJJ too.

I'll be honest about something else, most people just aren't that interested in Hapkido pure and simple. Like I said, Eugene McQuillan advertised the hell out of it and couldn't generate enough interest in it.

Eugene took his TKD training, turned to Hapkido and overnight was first a 'Master' of Hapkido then a 'Grand Master' within months - it was a joke, and I hate saying this as Eugene is a friend of mine.

You've been given loads of advice here in regards to travel, private lessons, starting a training group etc, I really don't see what you hope continuing this discussion will accomplish, but you asked for the thread to be re-opened so accept it that the guys here just don't get you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

OP i think people are just getting fed up by now. Theres not much support for your group out there and judging by this forum there isnt exactly much demand for a Hapkido club in dublin. The facebook page has 3 members. How many people do you know want to train serously enough to justify an instructor taking the time to set up a class. Is there even anyone in the dublin area qualified to instruct a hapkido class, because if your that serious about learning it i'm sure you want to learn it right. People travel to different countries to learn their styles and you're complaining about going to bray. Theres lots of stuff id love to do but cant because I dont drive and it takes to long to get there on public transport. But i dont go round complaining about it. Visiting my family in antrim more often for examle.
    Either make a genuine effort to get to a class or find people to help set up a training group. But as i said there doesnt seem to be much demand.

Ok, I will try as hard as I can not to make smart assed comments. It is just so hard not to, given the material. :D

How many times a week do you train in Karate?
    How many times a week do you want to train in Hapkido?

So you will have to travel about three hours in total to do Hapkido in Bray. So what? If you really wanted to, you would make the effort.

Eugene Mc Quillan teaches Hapkido around the Swords/Malahide area. You work around the airport. I am sure you could make it his place after work. Why don't you contact him and see if that is a possibility?

You feel it is unacceptable that there are no Hapkido schools in Dublin City Centre. This implies someone or something is responsible. Do you feel that Dublin is at fault, Hapkido, etc.

The Gods honast truth as I see it is that if there was a full time Hapkido place across the road from where you live, teaching morning, afternoon and evening classes, you still would find excuses not to go.

I've also got to add that just getting people to join a facebook group and hoping for the best is going to get you nowhere. People join these things on a whim and then completely forget about them. This generates two problems: 1) they don't really gain the momentum that other courses of action would, and 2) potentially in a year or so someone could see the group with 50 odd members and decide to set up a HKD school, only to find that everyone has lost interest.

If you want the facebook group to be useful, it's got to be a secondary thing which you use to coordinate your primary efforts.

• Advertisement

Ok, I will try as hard as I can not to make smart assed comments. It is just so hard not to, given the material. :D

How many times a week do you train in Karate?
    How many times a week do you want to train in Hapkido?

So you will have to travel about three hours in total to do Hapkido in Bray. So what? If you really wanted to, you would make the effort.

Eugene Mc Quillan teaches Hapkido around the Swords/Malahide area. You work around the airport. I am sure you could make it his place after work. Why don't you contact him and see if that is a possibility?

You feel it is unacceptable that there are no Hapkido schools in Dublin City Centre. This implies someone or something is responsible. Do you feel that Dublin is at fault, Hapkido, etc.

The Gods honast truth as I see it is that if there was a full time Hapkido place across the road from where you live, teaching morning, afternoon and evening classes, you still would find excuses not to go.

You're just acting like a child Ug Lee...

There are no details for Eugene McQuillan Available, I've searched far and wide to be told that he finished teaching hapkido years ago... 2006 I saw elsewhere.

I've been told that he moved to tenerife to start a fishing business... I'm inclined to believe this because there is nothing I can find on the internet.

People on this forum clearly don't see it a problem that a capital city of more than a million... aren't that bothered and think it's acceptable to take 3 hours to get somewhere.

I plan on going back to university in september, so travelling a huge distance will not that possible.

I'll make contact with masters temple... ask if they would consider expanding into the city by doing it the hard way.

Ok Mods... This won't get anywhere, you can close the thread or delete it. I'm sorry your time was wasted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement