Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who will be big in 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭mada999

probably some watered down nme pumped 'nu' gang of four meets omd with notunes.....we are moving from the early 80's now into the mid eighties retro 'revival'....within a year i'd say it will morph into well whatever happened in the mid eighties :pac::pac::pac:

amen brother.... not a fan of most of this búllshít 'trendy' 80s dance retro revival myself..... wish it would go away...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

the world needs more Air Traffic. FACT.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,907 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Not getting The Drums at all, i can't say i like anything i've heard from them so far.

The Delphic album is ok, better than The Drums sound but to be honest if 2010 is to be known for bands like this i won't be paying attention much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Also think the xx could have a big year, enjoyed their recent album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Sleigh Bells, Midlake and Owen Pallet will all make bigger impacts this year than previously. Liars, Frank Black, Massive Attack and Spoon will release great albums. Really though I think 2010 will be the year of Yeasayer. They'll have a great year, the album is coming out, its going to get great reviews and it'll go huge. In an indie kind of way.

Beach House will deserve the same amount of acclaim, but its less likely they'll get it on that semi-mainstream level.

Four Tet and Joy Orbison will continue making great music in the whole left-field electronica sphere. And it will be beautiful, I'm dying for those two albums.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

I thought Pixies were releasing new material. Is Frank Black gone solo again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

He has an album due at some point, can't remember if there's a set date or not. The man is a music making behemoth, I'm sure he could manage new Pixies stuff as well as solo stuff at the same time. I'm eagerly anticipating both anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

I'm expecting Yeasayer to do an Animal Collective this year. A band thats always been great reaching their true potential with their new album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    I'm expecting Yeasayer to do an Animal Collective this year. A band thats always been great reaching their true potential with their new album.

Agree with you on on yeasayer, was listening to their new album yesterday and its pretty special

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭The C Kid

HURTS
    Clock Opera
    Lunar Youth
    Brother Louis Collective
    Feathers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

I like Phantogram but i doubt they'll be very big. 'When im Small' has been stuck in my head for weeks. I urge everyone to take a listen.

I can see the Villagers doing very well here and perhaps making small waves in the uk and the us. They're on a fantastic label and they (or is it just conor?) have fantastic, emotive songs. Nothings stopping them from having a great year

Hopefully Halves debut album is as good as i expect it to be (very!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Paloma Faith and Mumford and Sons

thesultan wrote: »
    Paloma Faith and Mumford and Sons
    Okay next poster to mention Mumford and sons and ill close this thread. Damn just realized I cant do that :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Okay next poster to mention Mumford and sons and ill close this thread. Damn just realized I cant do that :D

i can make wishes come true...

Oh did ya hear Mumford and sons....

On topic:

I hope RSAG gets more exposure. One of the most exciting irish prospects at the moment imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Mumford & Sons were soooooo 2009 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

From what I've heard the Beach House album is stunning.

Can't wait to see them in Whelan's on 13th Feb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

Good bit of buzz surrounding Dinosaur Pile-up. If they do actually get around to releasing an album it could be their year.

+1

Recording album at the mo.

Think they might be coming back in March to play

Bands that will hit it will prob be Delphic, Mike Snow, Surfer Blood, Two Door CC, Dutch Uncles, Local Natives, The Minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

katie kim is gonna go from srength to strength this year. nothing but positive write-ups last year, and a couple of decent collaborations due out this year also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

ellie goulding is one to watch this year she's being compared to florence and the machine also delphic and foals which have a new album coming out

ellie goulding
    delphic
    crystal castles
    foals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

+ 1 for Villagers

The Hollow Kind EP was fantastic; if Conor continues with that kind of quality, the album could be the best Irish offering of the year methinks, and, possibly, of the last few years.

Also Beach House; seriously looking forward to that album.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Having seen kasabian perform in 2009, i can only imagine serge pizzorno will be just as big in 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Shoota

Sauron wrote: »
    + 1 for Villagers

The Hollow Kind EP was fantastic; if Conor continues with that kind of quality, the album could be the best Irish offering of the year methinks, and, possibly, of the last few years.

Also Beach House; seriously looking forward to that album.

yeah +1 for villagers, saw that Conor lad four times last year, buckets of talent for a small fella :D

Looking forward to Fionn Regans new album and Planet Parade have plenty of promise from that EP.......

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Yeah, can't wait for Villagers album.

I'm also loving Lightspeed Champion's latest single

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCo-U6war6c

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Ellie Goulding
    Marina & the Diamonds
    Delphic
    Hurts
    The Drums

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

Looking forward to Villagers album and The Flaw's second one

RibenaHead wrote: »
    Looking forward to Villagers album and The Flaw's second one
    speaking of the villagers why exactly did yer mans previous band the immediate split?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭RodVelvet

RPA & The United Nations of Sound's album may be worth looking forward to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

Scien wrote: »
    Listening to their myspace uploads the last hour. Impressive stuff.
    Liking 'Some Small Matter' a lot.

They're in Whelans on Sat night.

I can't wait for the album....

Interpol have a new album coming out too, I hear it's gonna be orchestral. Is this true?

markok84 wrote: »
    I can't wait for the album....

Interpol have a new album coming out too, I hear it's gonna be orchestral. Is this true?
    aren't interpol fairly well established at this stage. Btw quite like the follow up to Po there. Oh Emporer could well indeed the next great Irish band but lets just wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

aren't interpol fairly well established at this stage. Btw quite like the follow up to Po there. Oh Emporer could well indeed the next great Irish band but lets just wait and see.
    I was just mentioning Interpol because I'm looking forward to a new album, but more importanly an improvement on the last album which dissapointed me.

Advertisement