Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Planet X TT Bike: The EXOCET

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

a gram is really just a unit of force (<<speculation) like parts per million could also be written as milligrams per litre

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

abcdggs wrote: »
    a gram is really just a unit of force (<<speculation) like parts per million could also be written as milligrams per litre

Except that the (kilo)gram is the S.I. unit of mass. Newtons are the S.I. unit of force.

There are calculators to convert one to the other, but it makes things unnecessarily complicated.

All anyone should really care about is power loss at a given speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

:eek:
    in the real world the unit that gets used most often sticks... I would guess it's completely arbitrary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭dreadzedan

Good lord, now he's resorted to conversing with himself!

Butt out, your conversing with yourslef right now, because no one really cares what you say or think. me and tunney came to a resoultion actually so what i said before, that discussion over, so butt out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Lumen wrote: »
    Why is drag force measured in grams? Never understood that.

I always thought it was Newtons too. Perhaps a hangover from the US system of measuring drag/thrust in pounds of force?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I always thought it was Newtons too. Perhaps a hangover from the US system of measuring drag/thrust in pounds of force?

pounds is weight(essentially force) not mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

dreadzedan wrote: »
    Butt out, your conversing with yourslef right now, because no one really cares what you say or think. me and tunney came to a resoultion actually so what i said before, that discussion over, so butt out on it.

Vic_Bob_Handbags.jpg

Seeing as you replied, it's not really with myself now, is it darling? Also, this happens to be a public forum, so anyone can chip in with whatever they want :)
    DirkVoodoo wrote: »

Is it not Newton Metres? I suspect grams are to make the smaller differences more meaningful -it means more to see a difference of 425g to 545g, as opposed to 0.425m vs 0.545m... just a theory though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

so anyone can chip in with whatever they want :)

not quite.
    :)

Is it not Newton Metres? I suspect grams are to make the smaller differences more meaningful -it means more to see a difference of 425g to 545g, as opposed to 0.425m vs 0.545m... just a theory though :)

No, torque is newton metres, a force (newtons) applied at a distance (metres) from the pivot.

Except that the Americans use bizarro units for that too, including "pound force inches". Gaaah!

And then there's your dyne metres....

No, torque is newton metres, a force (newtons) applied at a distance (metres) from the pivot.

Except that the Americans use bizarro units for that too, including "pound force inches". Gaaah!

And then there's your dyne metres....

I knew I should have paid more attention in physics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

"The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it."

This thread might explain it a little better, or maybe confuse things even more :)

tunney wrote: »
    dreadzedan should be able to answer that one. Things are so much easier now that we have someone here who knows everything.

Im glad you finally admitted i know it all,a big man you are to do that LOL;),
    anayways
    to your previous question on my views on Tripple vs Standard vs Compact.

It sure has, i kinda blew up, did not need to, im an angry youth lol, you just called it like it is no need to get mad over that, i was a bit too aggressive i think, couldn't take that much of the designers to route the cable behind headset this being their flagship bike and all.
    shimano Di2 will solve all though, and a similar technology brake system, which i might build a little prototype of. goodbye long cables.

Well a tripple has wider range good for climbing (granny gears lol) etc super low gear may prove nice, but im pretty powerful, i dont hate them don't get me wrong. i dont really need a triple for compact brings the best from triple and standard at the together, it is lighter than a triple and to me it shifts smoother, + every one says triples are for sissies lol.;) jking compact is the best of both worlds really though, the 50/34 combination gets you quite a bit lower gears, while giving up a very small amount from the high end.
    The ratios that a compact has are similar to that of a triple without all the technical parts swapping, and + it's lighter, just have to use 34T in the compact for hills and im fine, for me i don't really need a triple, a compact 50/34 double is just fine for me. who needs a standard when you can have a compact with 50/34 lol and get everything.

How do you like the D6 btw
    used-road-bikes-703662804624736990.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMdxw6AN-1g

i think it looks pretty cool.

tunney wrote: »
    While that bike has behind the headset cable routing I didn't like it when I rode it :) Found it very very aggressive, perfect for prologues or the like but didn't suit my body shape for longer TTs.

Some nice innovations on it though. The Bayonet fork and the placement of the rear brake, above the BB and not below (although that introduces problems with dropped chains).

If I had a slightly longer torso would have been perfect.

Mine would be probably be

speedconcept.jpg

The bayonet style forks, the stem and cable routing :)
    But the Kamm tail is the dogs........ 3:1 shaped tubes that act as 8:1 [1]

That beind said I need another 200 watts on my FTP before I'd even consider it :)

[1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kammback

Id pick the felt, no problem for my body shape, you know im agressive lol., The felt is the bees knees al-right. like the trek too though, my two favourite bike brands actually so id buy both if i could just to have them.

I think the Fuji D6 is pretty nice too though,
    need some feedback on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

I think the Fuji D6 is pretty nice too though,
    need some feedback on it.

It'd be better if it had a "tripple"

used-road-bikes-703662804624736990.jpg

i think it looks pretty cool.

I know you can't "see" aero, but that looks wrong to me. There's a massive gap in front of the rear wheel, it has a shallow front clincher and disc rear tub, the stem and aerobar angles are wrong, there are too many headset spacers and it appears to have some kind of safety reflector fitted to the spokes.

Basically, it looks slow and ugly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I know you can't "see" aero, but that looks wrong to me. There's a massive gap in front of the rear wheel, it has a shallow front clincher and disc rear tub, the stem and aerobar angles are wrong, there are too many headset spacers and it appears to have some kind of safety reflector fitted to the spokes.

In fairness most of that is probably down to the rider who set it up rather than the inherent merits of the frame.

Not to disrespect the entire sport but I would lay money on that bike being owned by a triathlete :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Plus i dont see a chain on the bike so im guessing its pretty slow lol

but that bike is great value for money , 1800 euro from evans cycles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

shimano Di2 will solve all though, and a similar technology brake system, which i might build a little prototype of.

I was intrigued by the idea of you using shimano electronic braking - I'm even more keen to see you to have a go with something you've knocked up yourself. Please have someone video the result and put it on youtube. Please.

• Advertisement

levitronix wrote: »
    Plus i dont see a chain on the bike so im guessing its pretty slow lol

It is there, just hidden a little by the driveside fail.

1zqyc6v.jpg

almost invisible chain then

Those near invisible chains are all the craze these days huh:)
    K
    What do you all think of the Argon 18 E-112 and E-114
    came across this bike and became interested in the E112 model cause for $1786 USD frameset it looks good,5606 HM Nano-Tech carbon(high grade stuff) ASP-4000 seatpost - this allows 78 or 76-degree seat angle, the
    demonstrates significant aero gains, compared to the E-80 ( their little boy), twice a world triathlon championship winning bike. behind the headset routing lol cant forget that or tunney will attack.

http://www.frfsports.com/argon18/e112.htm

http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/product/FR_E112.html?action=currency&id=USD

and it is made of its big brother the somewhat fearsome E114
    2008 Eurobike Award for innovative and exclusive design, and he institute design award, from Montreal, watch vid for details.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRbMEBcbxjM&feature=related
    check this vid out.

20412_142905.jpg

argon_e112_l.jpg
    E112 in white

IMG_5041.jpg

E114 frameset
    e114frame2010.jpg
    Can get 2009 model frame set for $2698, 2010 quite a bit more, 150g lighter, but i feel u can upgrade the 09 to 10 spec.

the bikes have got nothing but good reviews from my diggin up on the net and some magazines.

i prefer this body style as it is clean and sexy,+ i prefer framesets, like building ma stuff from the ground up my way.;)
    Looks goods in pictures but according to reviewers is a real headturner in actual person.
    Like the lines of it, look like they can cut yuh.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

^ looks great anyway. The E-114 was ridden by Torbjorn Sindballe who did one of the fastest splits in Kona, so I presume it's got solid heritage and is therefore an excellent frame.

In other words, buy ;)

christeb wrote: »
    ^ looks great anyway. The E-114 was ridden by Torbjorn Sindballe who did one of the fastest splits in Kona, so I presume it's got solid heritage and is therefore an excellent frame.

In other words, buy ;)

very nice.

thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stevie_b

your compact chainset would look smashing on that argon

stevie_b wrote: »
    your compact chainset would look smashing on that argon

your right, that specialize blows.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Jesus, your man in the background of the picture with the white e112 is getting right in there.

briano wrote: »
    Jesus, your man in the background of the picture with the white e112 is getting right in there.

lol:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭garminguy

lol
    most of us were looking at the bike!
    but its true, looks like he is searching for a 2 euro coin:D

Advertisement