Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many people would want Karate in the Olympics?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Chris89 wrote: »
    How many facebook fans are you hoping to get before you hand this copper fastened evidence of interest to the olympic council, Captain cool.

Hey olympics, captain cool here, do you not know about how much people love karate or what.

Wow dude do you need a hug or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭DaBrow

Wow dude do you need a hug or something?

I think he does.... One girl whom signed up is a Fredica Callavaro!

A real knock out of a Girl whom happens to be in the Italian National team.

I'm sure she'll convert him after a hug!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

ill start a facebook group to see how many people would like to hug me and get back to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Well what type of Style we talking about the Full, or Semi. Were you can hit the other guy in the Chest but can only kick to the head? or the Girly Style were you were pads.

Cork24 wrote: »
    Well what type of Style we talking about the Full, or Semi. Were you can hit the other guy in the Chest but can only kick to the head? or the Girly Style were you were pads.

I think you are describing Kyokushinkai... You can only punch to the chest but you can kick below the waist.

The WKF is the only Olympic recognised Karate organisation and they focus mainly on Semi-Contact which is far from Girly as you claim.

However, the WKF do have full-contact rules aswell but that isn't as popular.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Ug Lee

Hey Dabrow,

Did you ring the Hapkido guy in Portmarnock yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

DaBrow wrote: »
    I think you are describing Kyokushinkai... You can only punch to the chest but you can kick below the waist.

The WKF is the only Olympic recognised Karate organisation and they focus mainly on Semi-Contact which is far from Girly as you claim.

However, the WKF do have full-contact rules aswell but that isn't as popular.

What's this about punching to the chest? The only targets near the chest in Kyokushin are the solar plexus and the soft bits about 4 finger widths below the collar bones. Most punches in fact are aimed at the liver and spleen. You can also punch the legs but there's not much point in that. Some of the larger competitions allow palm strikes to the head, or at least in Kyokushin Budokai there is.

WKF full contact is still heavily points oriented is it not? Or is it knock-down?

What's this about punching to the chest? The only targets near the chest in Kyokushin are the solar plexus and the soft bits about 4 finger widths below the collar bones. Most punches in fact are aimed at the liver and spleen. You can also punch the legs but there's not much point in that. Some of the larger competitions allow palm strikes to the head, or at least in Kyokushin Budokai there is.

WKF full contact is still heavily points oriented is it not? Or is it knock-down?

My experience has purely been been semi-contact to be honest, but from what I understand the aim of WKF Full-Contact is to beat the opponent on points or until the other fighter gives up.

The fighters have a ribbon of either red or blue attached to their gi and have taped fists & feet...

Kyokushinkai is a style based purely on contact from what I read:

There are Kata and Traditional elements of course, but the student in order to progress has to fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

in all the Martial arts in the Olympics, i like Judo not much into taekwondo.

I think alot of Martial arts gets high and every one wants to do it. I.E when Karate kid was in every one wanted to do Karate, Thai Boxing was the next big thing now its BJJ thanks to the MMA World. in the Late 60's 70's Judo was very big in Cork. since then it died down.

alot of clubs closed down around 4 clubs that i was going to closed down over the last few years.

Best one i was at was across the bridge from the Oprah House, were their was once a Kung Fu Center, i think it was called Cork Judo.

Approaching 700 members now and professional Karateka have signed up...

Luca Valdesi has been invited I see, a big man in the competition world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

Approaching 700 members now and professional Karateka have signed up...

Luca Valdesi has been invited I see, a big man in the competition world.

what da ya want a medal.

The K1 facebook group has 11,583 members. Will we see K1 in the Olympics any time soon? NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

theres funny groups about turbans that have hundreds of thousands of members, get back in your box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Chris89 Banned for a week. I asked nicely.

Infractions for everyone else involved in the sniping. It's like bein' in a class room full of bleedin teenagers.

yomchi wrote: »
    Chris89 Banned for a week. I asked nicely.

Infractions for everyone else involved in the sniping. It's like bein' in a class room full of bleedin teenagers.

I have noticed that there has been alot of that aimed at me... Another thread I had relating to Hapkido was inandated with hecklers and other jeering.

siochain wrote: »
    what da ya want a medal.

The K1 facebook group has 11,583 members. Will we see K1 in the Olympics any time soon? NO.

K1 is a separate event Siochán and organisation; It isn't a martial art style or combat sport.

That would be like F1 being in the games which is impossible... Karate was robbed of qualifying because of the voting rule changes and it lead the way for most of the selection, also it is widely believed more people in the world practise Karate than either Judo or Taekwondo.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

it is widely believed more people in the world practise Karate than either Judo or Taekwondo.

But that wouldn't be difficult when people are inventing "new" styles of Karate all the time. Anyway, this debate has been going on for so long I've forgotten if you want a particular style or an open event where any Karate style can enter?

But that wouldn't be difficult when people are inventing "new" styles of Karate all the time. Anyway, this debate has been going on for so long I've forgotten if you want a particular style or an open event where any Karate style can enter?

It would be Styles recognised under the World Karate Federation, this is the only body that the IOC recognise for Karate.

It is a shame though that this only includes Wado, Goju & ****o Ryu and Shotokan...

The WUKO recognises Kyokushinkai and a few other styles which although not fully traditional, still have a theme of old fashioned teaching and training attached.

K1 is a separate event Siochán and organisation; It isn't a martial art style or combat sport.

That would be like F1 being in the games which is impossible... Karate was robbed of qualifying because of the voting rule changes and it lead the way for most of the selection, also it is widely believed more people in the world practise Karate than either Judo or Taekwondo.

'K1 is a separate event Siochán and organisation' yeah I think I understand that already.

I'm sure WAKO have it listed as a style.

K1 isn't a combat sport? Are we talking about the same thing here?

While I know K1 has no chance of getting in it would make most sense to me as many different styles already compete on the K1 circuit. And it makes for excellent viewing.

'K1 is a separate event Siochán and organisation' yeah I think I understand that already.

I'm sure WAKO have it listed as a style.

K1 isn't a combat sport? Are we talking about the same thing here?

While I know K1 has no chance of getting in it would make most sense to me as many different styles already compete on the K1 circuit. And it makes for excellent viewing.

WAKO is a Kickboxing Body... K1 are a set of rules they have produced for a special tournament that is open to different styles who use those rules.

Kickboxing is a combat sport but not the K1, that is an special events tournament and not a style of martial art that has distinguishable moves or teaching... It is a better and more entertaining rival to the UFC.

Karate is a separate and distinguishable fighting system; It has several styles that differ only on the methods of teaching, I would grant it Olympic status not because I am a Karateka but because it fills the expectations of the IOC Criteria.

The Olympics have seen their creation been militarily themed or combat orientated: Wrestling, Fencing, Horse Riding etc.

WAKO is a Kickboxing Body... K1 are a set of rules they have produced for a special tournament that is open to different styles who use those rules.

Kickboxing is a combat sport but not the K1, that is an special events tournament and not a style of martial art that has distinguishable moves or teaching... It is a better and more entertaining rival to the UFC.

Karate is a separate and distinguishable fighting system; It has several styles that differ only on the methods of teaching, I would grant it Olympic status not because I am a Karateka but because it fills the expectations of the IOC Criteria.

The Olympics have seen their creation been militarily themed or combat orientated: Wrestling, Fencing, Horse Riding etc.

Yes WAKO is a Kickboxing Body but WAKO did not find or define the rules of K1. Yes they have K1 listed as a kickboxing discipline and run K1 events at WAKO events. Trust me I'm well aware of WAKO and what the do and don't do.

And for certain you are 100% right in saying 'Karate is a separate and distinguishable fighting system'.

I don't know how you define a combat sport and I have no idea how you can call Kickboxing a combat sport and not K1. To be honest I have no idea where your going with the last post.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

To be honest I have no idea where your going with the last post.
    he's going to the top of the IOC that's where!

Go Da Brow! Bring your quest for Olympic chopping to the highest levels! Don't mind these naysayers. When you're hanging the medals around the necks of the first Kratty competitors in 2016 you can give a sly wink to the camera and they'll know you're winking at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Knock down Karate ala Kyokushin or MMA style Daido Juku/Kudo would be great to see in the Olympics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I have noticed that there has been alot of that aimed at me... Another thread I had relating to Hapkido was inandated with hecklers and other jeering.

Sorry to see your receiving a less than a warm welcome to the forum, and by other's who should know better too.

Guys, stop acting the sack.

More warnings/Infractions or bannings are being considered.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=113521668661644#!/event.php?eid=113521668661644

Anyone on Facebook who wants to join is more than welcome

*Nazi Mod mode*

Anyone with any wise arse smart cracks wanna continue acting the sack there's a facebook page for you, anymore here and there'll be a minimum 7 day banning from the forum.

Advertisement