Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Injury Thread - Post any news/updates here!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

phog wrote: »
    Why?

Well it would be nice to know if a player who would replace them in a heartbeat is fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Squad's being announced tomorrow so we'll know then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Well it would be nice to know if a player who would replace them in a heartbeat is fit.

Yeah but he's been injured too and will be very touch and go. They cant say either way so better to say nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

For anyone who was wondering it appears that Ian McKinley is making a quick recovery from a horrible eye injury he got while playing with UCD against Lansdowne on January. He had completely lost sight in one of his eyes and the worst was feared, but from what i hear he is making a quicker recovery than expected and should be there or there abouts by the time the next season kicks off. I'll keep an eye out for any updates.

Sorry :(

Chiefs and All Blacks wing Sitiveni Sivivatu will be out of rugby for up to six months due to a shoulder injury.

Sivivatu will be undergoing surgery on his left shoulder in three weeks to stabilise a recurrent dislocating shoulder. Extensive rehabilitation will follow.

Sivivatu had the same type of surgery on his right shoulder in 2004.

http://www.rugby365.com/tournaments/super14/news/2384160.htm

• Advertisement

So James Horwill, Heinrich Brussow, Ali Williams and Sitiveni Sivivatu are all out of the Tri-Nations.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12334_6128455,00.html

Add Bismarck du Plessis to that list.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/8660703.stm

Stephen Ferris out for 6-8 weeks and likely to miss Summer Tour.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I reckon Mclaughlin has his eyes on the prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

durkadurka wrote: »
    I reckon Mclaughlin has his eyes on the prize.

If Kidneys picking on form then Locky doesn't have a chance against Quinlan. However if he is selecting with the world cup in mind then its Kevin all the way. If not for the U20 JWC Ruddock would be on the plane too id say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

He ignored quinny all year so you have to assume he's not in the running due to age.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Hopefully he won't select Quinlan. McLoughlin has been in great form all season when fit, it'd be a great reward for him to celebrate a fantastic season with a cap against the ABs.

Quinlan has been great, but in fairness his days are quickly coming to an end, so there's no real point in bringing him with a view to starting him. Doesn't benefit us in the long-term.

Yet another injury for Ferris? The guy has no luck.

Hopefully he won't select Quinlan. McLoughlin has been in great form all season when fit, it'd be a great reward for him to celebrate a fantastic season with a cap against the ABs.

Quinlan has been great, but in fairness his days are quickly coming to an end, so there's no real point in bringing him with a view to starting him. Doesn't benefit us in the long-term.

How would you define 'long-term'?

2 years? 5 years? 10?

IMO 'long-term' means RWC2011 and Quinlan would certainly benefit Ireland then. Unfortunately, it seems the die has been cast on his career by the Irish management, which is very unjust.

2 years? 5 years? 10?

IMO 'long-term' means RWC2011 and Quinlan would certainly benefit Ireland then. Unfortunately, it seems the die has been cast on his career by the Irish management, which is very unjust.

Over all those time periods. In 2 years Quinlan will be finished, as hard as that is to believe. Whereas KMcL won't even be close.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Fez has been pretty unlucky with injuries the last year hasn't he! :(
    Going on form Muldoon should have a great chance of the spot, but Kidney will probably give us Connacht conspiracy theorists ammunition by picking McLaughlin :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

2 years? 5 years? 10?

if the world cup was tomorrow he might be worth a shot but at 37, I just don't see it happening particularly when there are younger alternatives who are starting to fulfill their potential.

You can never have to much experience in the pack but at the same time there still needs to be a balance struck between youth(relatively speaking!) and experience for a world cup campaign of potentially 7 high intensity internationals over 6 weeks..

already we're looking at fla, buckley, court, poc, doc, wally, horan, cullen, casey and jennings all being in their 30s with best and leamy pushing the 30 mark by the world cup

Zzippy wrote: »
    Fez has been pretty unlucky with injuries the last year hasn't he! :(
    Going on form Muldoon should have a great chance of the spot, but Kidney will probably give us Connacht conspiracy theorists ammunition by picking McLaughlin :p

Forgot Muldoon. He should be in with a chance to start. It should be between him and McLaughlin.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/welsh/8675061.stm

Wales have ruled James Hook, Luke Charteris, Dwayne Peel and Martyn Williams out of their June Tests against South Africa and New Zealand.

Centre Hook will undergo surgery on his troublesome shoulder injury at the end of the Ospreys' Magners League run.

Lock Charteris has a neck problem while it has been decided that scrum-half Peel and flanker Williams need a rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Not so much an update as an enquiry. There seems to be a growing list of players suffering torn pectoral muscles. It's not an injury I recall ever being a problem in the last. But it generally seems to need surgery, and the player is out for several months. NZ have lost Dominic Bird & now Matt Todd, and I think Manu Tualagi is out for England with the same. Is this just coincidence, or does this reflect modern training etc? Any of you gym bunnies might have a clue...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I remember for awhile there seemed to be a spate of bicep injuries in pro players so it could be just one of those things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I protect my pecs with a healthy layer of cushioning.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I remember for awhile there seemed to be a spate of bicep injuries in pro players so it could be just one of those things.

Yeah maybe. It seems like a bit of a disaster of an injury, with both Bird & now Todd out for 6 months. Bird might yet make the end of year tour, so who knows, maybe he'll trot out onto the Aviva in November, although I suspect he'd get the game against Japan if he's selected.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I protect my pecs with a healthy layer of cushioning.

You and your American football :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Originally thought this was about our own injuries, was going to moan about my knees boo boo but never mind

Advertisement