Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do they send you a hospital bill if you were only checked be a nurse

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The fee needs to be there to discourage people from attending who have no business going to an A&E department and who could wait to see their GP or an out of hours service the next day. If you go into A&E you're taking up a slot and delaying the treatment of others compared to if you were not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ergo

to answer the question about when you'll have to pay, the answer is that it depends completely on the individual hospital. All hospitals are different in this respect. Some are very good at chasing up their debtors, others much less so.

Should you pay...? Strictly speaking I think you should, for many of the reasons outlined above....I mean the other question would be why should you not pay...? You left straight away, against the advice of the nurse who assessed you....above all, if you were forced to pay it could be a lesson to you for the future, next time you're feeling "sick" (but so sick that sampling the A+E environment for a few minutes was enough to make you feel better) that you might not run/get brought straight to A+E

note: don't want any details of your condition as per charter but I do hope you're feeling better by the way

on a slightly different note, in a kids A+E I used to work in, sometimes people would pay up front but would then find that there were maybe 20 people's kids ahead of theirs and decide to leave...in that case they were offered a refund as they had not been seen by the doctor (but had been assessed by the triage nurse). But the difference here being that these people were willing to wait for the doctor but not the 4 or 8 hours or God knows how long it might have been...and those waiting times (imho) are long for kids A+E...I know adult A+E wait times can be much longer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

i cant believe the amount of crap I'm hearing from people, and you all must be rich folks with lots of money to be spending. It just so happens that 100 euro to pay is a lot of money for me

100 euro is a lot of money to most people but it was your mistake to go to A&E.
    It boils down to this:
    You felt unwell
    You chose to attend A&E instead of a GP practice of any kind
    You chose to leave after being assessed and advised to stay for the night against medical advice.

How is it you feel you shouldn't be charged?
    You should be charged within the next month or so from my experience.

As a side note I genuinely hope you are feeling better.
    But what you described is exactly the sort of thing that needlessly clogs up and wastes time in many A&E departments around the country who would otherwise be better able to deal with what comes through their doors. Seriously from working in a hospital and being around the A&E department I can tell you that the amount of time-wasters who should be going to a GP is a farce.

A friend of mine once rang me asking if A&E was busy as he was unwell(not discussing any condition), I advised him that he should go to a GP(it was minor) his reason for chosing A&E instead was "If I go to the GP I will have to pay him up front." I told him if I saw him in A&E that day or the next I would personally kick him out for wasting his own time and the A&E's as that was one of the most annoying things I had ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

You attended the A&E because you felt you needed the services of the hospital. You were assessed by a healthcare professional. You were given professional advice. In this case there was no treatment suitable. Would you have rathered been given some placebo treatment to justify the charge. You are liable to pay the fee to the HSE. You used a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Anyway OP,did you get that chip off your shoulder surgically removed yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

... In this case there was no treatment suitable...

I'm not sure where you got that from.

There's nothing in the thread to say
    a. what was wrong with the OP
    b. what treatment would have been provided had the OP stayed
    c. what treatment the OP may (or may not) have later recieved from another source such as a GP, a pharmacy, a friend or even their own medicine cabinet
    d. whether the OP got better or not.

So, why do you think that no treatment was suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

So a little bloody compassion would be nice.

And you might get a bit more of it if you lose the bloody attitude!
    Now to ask a question again, because I genuinely don't know, when will I be getting the bill?

That question has been answered already. But to answer it again, there's no way of knowing how long it will take to arrive.

When it does arrive, the overwhelming consensus of the people who have freely given their time to answer your question, is that you have to pay it. A little bit of gratitude would be nice.

People who answer questions here are volunteers. HSE staff aren't. They're paid employees, whose salaries are paid out of the taxes and other charges that the government collect in various ways. One of those is the A&E charge.

So just pay your bill, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 SilverScreen89

sam34 wrote: »
    i'm not particularly rich, and €100 is a lot of money for me too.

however, when i avail of a service, i expect to have to pay for it.

I didn't avail of the service, the nurse didn't even tell me what I should do to slow my heartbeat down. I would have had to stay overnight and I just couldn't. I didn't even know you had to, as it was my first time in a hospital. Thing is that people in there are complete assholes (as in this website) and if you are lost and still shocked, they don't give a flying ****. It's like they wait to screw you, then tell you that it was your fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

I didn't avail of the service, the nurse didn't even tell me what I should do to slow my heartbeat down. I would have had to stay overnight and I just couldn't. I didn't even know you had to, as it was my first time in a hospital. Thing is that people in there are complete assholes (as in this website) and if you are lost and still shocked, they don't give a flying ****. It's like they wait to screw you, then tell you that it was your fault.

yes you did avail of a service, you were assessed by a nurse.

do you think that should be free??

nurses are highly trained professionals, and the assessment is the first part of the A&E process

the nurse offered his/her clinical opinion that you should stay for further assessment, which you chose not to do. thats your call.

paying the bill however, is not your call.

an analogy would be that if you went to a solicitor and asked for legal advice about bringing a civil case aginat someone, then you decided not o bring that case, you would still have to pay for teh initial appointment.

finally, on a mod note, we dont tolerate abusive language in here.
    any more of it and you'll be banned

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭28064212

She told you exactly what to do, she told you to stay overnight. You refused her professional opinion. What else was she supposed to do? Should she have sent you home with an ECG machine and told you what to look out for on it? Maybe she should have come home with you to monitor you since you "couldn't" stay?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 SilverScreen89

sam34 wrote: »
    finally, on a mod note, we dont tolerate abusive language in here.
    any more of it and you'll be banned

I think that sentence alone tells me what kind of people I'm talking to...

Right, happy new year to you too, guys. I hope I never have seizures in front of your house because you'd probably run me over with your cars and say that I was one less problem for the healthcare system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

I think that sentence alone tells me what kind of people I'm talking to...

Right, happy new year to you too, guys. I hope I never have seizures in front of your house because you'd probably run me over with your cars and say that I was one less problem for the healthcare system.

why should we tolerate abusive language?

it's in teh charter, have a read of it.

i'm locking this thread now, as I dont think it's benefitting anyone

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement