Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac's quitlog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Thanks dolliemix for the kind words!!!! Good to hear that today!!!

Well i made it through a tough night last night and today is really really hard!!!
    I just finished my morning break and was nearly in a shop buyin 20 fags but i didnt thank god!
    I also got a little extra money in my account today so when i saw that i thought i have loads of money i can smoke lol. But instead i'm going to buy myself a ps3 slim today to congrat myself for getting this far, bit extreme? lol.

Have to say the cravings are really different this time around, seems to be an hour of craving then a break for 20 mins or so and then another hour of anxious muscle twitching cravings. :(:mad::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Thanks dolliemix for the kind words!!!! Good to hear that today!!!

Well i made it through a tough night last night and today is really really hard!!!
    I just finished my morning break and was nearly in a shop buyin 20 fags but i didnt thank god!
    I also got a little extra money in my account today so when i saw that i thought i have loads of money i can smoke lol. But instead i'm going to buy myself a ps3 slim today to congrat myself for getting this far, bit extreme? lol.

Have to say the cravings are really different this time around, seems to be an hour of craving then a break for 20 mins or so and then another hour of anxious muscle twitching cravings. :(:mad::confused:

Great - you didn't give in!!! I had moments like that at first. The shop was right beside me and it was so tempting. But an hour or so later when I realised how close I'd been to giving in, I'd almost be on a high, because I resisted the temptation. I also knew that the high wouldn't have happened if I had gone in and bought them. Infact it would have been the complete opposite - I'd have been disgusted with myself!

Keep going. You're brilliant. It will get easier (eventuallly!) But it's worth the pain.

Hope you're real proud of yourself :)

Thanks for that! Uber proud of myself now too, big smile on my face lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

congrats readyletsgo. Keep it up. The cravings will peak but you can get through them. Get a net of satsumas and keep them handy. When you get a craving peel one and eat it. By the time it's peeled the craving will have passed. We all feel your pain - it's tough at the start but worth it in the end.

And dollie - welcome to Month 4 :)

Macros42 wrote: »
    congrats readyletsgo. Keep it up. The cravings will peak but you can get through them. Get a net of satsumas and keep them handy. When you get a craving peel one and eat it. By the time it's peeled the craving will have passed. We all feel your pain - it's tough at the start but worth it in the end.

And dollie - welcome to Month 4 :)

Thanks mac!!!
    I find i miss the hit on my tongue more than keepin my hands busy, might be due to having a pen in my hand in work all day writing i guess, but i'm chewing more gum now.

I met my bro for lunch today, and turns out he's giving up the smokes since last night, he was shocked i was off them and said if i can get to day 3 he can do it too! Was glad to hear it too.

Just have one more bro who is smoking and he plans to give up soon too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

believe me readyletsgo it will get easier and each time you don't put a cigarette in your mouth you will have added 5 Min's 30 SEC to living that longer.:D( I READ THAT SOMEWHERE:))KEEP IT GOING.

I bought an iphone with the money I saved from not smoking over the last three months!!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

dolliemix wrote: »
    I bought an iphone with the money I saved from not smoking over the last three months!!:D:D:D
    Hi dolliemix,
    The longer your off the smokes the more money you have and you really have to treat yourself :) (reward). I do believe that when you do this you are getting stronger and when you can look at something and say to yourself if I had been smoking I wouldn't have this iphone or whatever your reward .:D

terenc wrote: »
    Hi dolliemix,
    The longer your off the smokes the more money you have and you really have to treat yourself :) (reward). I do believe that when you do this you are getting stronger and when you can look at something and say to yourself if I had been smoking I wouldn't have this iphone or whatever your reward .:D

To be honest I would have used any excuse to get that iphone! The 'I've been off cigarettes for three months' excuse was a little bit manipulative!!! :D:D:D

I had a little craving last night. Watching the Godfather with a glass of red wine......a cigarette would have been nice.....

....but its nicer that I got up this morning and did a 4k run with my iphone!!!

:p:p:p

screw your iPhone. I bought and €800 bike :p

And yesterday I ran 5 miles - aka 8k! Yes me - I did that.

• Advertisement

screw your iPhone. I bought and €800 bike :p

And yesterday I ran 5 miles - aka 8k! Yes me - I did that.

Hey, Good for you!

I finished C25k officially today and I'm feeling good!

post reported - Buble put me back smoking again!

Haha! I didn't think the pic for the Nina Simone version was appropriate for this thread.....:D

Ok got to day 5 and broke when out on sat night!!!!
    Still smoking now but going to quiet again tomorrow.
    Felt so sick but couldn' help it, but will remember this feeling from now on!.

Day 1 Tomorrow...:(

Don't beat yourself up - it's all part of the process. Just dust yourself off and get right back on that horse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭spadesaspade

for anyone who can get the will power together, try the champix tabs, on them three months now and find them fantastic. even out having a few drinks they take your mind of smoking. give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

for anyone who can get the will power together, try the champix tabs, on them three months now and find them fantastic. even out having a few drinks they take your mind of smoking. give it a go

I'd disagree with that. You're essentially swapping one drug addiction for another.

Allen Carr method is easily the best one I've come across. One month done and I'm doing better than ever.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/0141026898/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270490340&sr=8-1-spell

If you have the willpower champix is unnecessary. I didn't use any replacement therapies - I personally consider them a crutch but each to their own. I do have a big issue with Champix tho - I consider it dangerous and it's a case of the cure being worse than the disease.

Help me - I'm starting spinning classes tomorrow! Ran 4.7k today at lunchtime. Spinning tomorrow at lunchtime. Planning on jogging the 5k to my club after work. Then I'll have a pint or two before bowling for a while. You can't go crazy after all :D

I'm in bits here. Smoking was never this hard.

Went to fitness training tonight. Met in St Kevins GAA club and jogged the 1.5k to Donadea as a warmup. Then proceeded to have a warm up exercise session. Then - in groups of 8 all holding a rope - run 5.6K around the forest. Topped off with a session of 200m sprints before jogging the 1.5k back to the GAA club. The jogging was 9k in total (there were other bits in between). I'd my GPS turned off for the sprints. But 5 of them around 200k each - another K. My legs are like lead!

Still - I'd never have conceived of this 4 months ago. It was tough but I did it. And it's a great session 5 days before my 1st 10k run - the Great Ireland Run on Sunday. Looking forward to it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Rather you than me doing all that running Mac!

Good luck for your 10k run on sunday

Wow thats amazing.

Good luck on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Hi there. Just wondering what happened to Readyletsgo? I was really identifying with what was going on with him as I am just on the brink of quitting. I just need to give myself a little further push.
    Everyone else on here has come so far and I am hoping for a "novice quitter" like me to come on board.
    If you're out there RLG please let me know how you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

But 5 of them around 200k each...

hmm, interesting.... ;)
    My legs are like lead!

I'd say so. :)

ah typos, gotta love em :) fair play Maccer, and everyone else. Years ago, I think it was on "live at 3" (yeah that long ago) they have 4 groups of people give up smoking with various coping methods to see how people fared. The couple that took up excercise as soon as they quit seemed to do the best out of the group (as in how difficult they felt it was to quit). Other methods were cold turkey with nothing specifically different, patches, and I can't remember the 4th, might have been hypnotherapy or something like that. Not scientific by any means, but just to put it out there for y'all.

hehe - yeah - 200m not k - 200k sprints would be very impressive :D

Mezcita wrote: »
    I'd disagree with that. You're essentially swapping one drug addiction for another.

Allen Carr method is easily the best one I've come across. One month done and I'm doing better than ever.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/0141026898/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270490340&sr=8-1-spell

That's not true - using champix is not swapping one addiction for another. You use champix for a period of a few months and then you stop. They are not addictive in any way. They do have side effects that may be worse for some people than for other people - in fact some people may not be able to use the drug because of these side effects. If you are using NCT (nicotine replacement therapy), i.e. patches etc. that is just exchanging the way that you get nicotine which you remain addicted to but that's not how champix works. I gave up cigarettes with champix - it worked for me - I'm not saying that it will work for everyone. You still need willpower but I found the tablets a great help.

Shazanne wrote: »
    Hi there. Just wondering what happened to Readyletsgo? I was really identifying with what was going on with him as I am just on the brink of quitting. I just need to give myself a little further push.
    Everyone else on here has come so far and I am hoping for a "novice quitter" like me to come on board.
    If you're out there RLG please let me know how you're doing.

Thanks Shazanne!!!!
    TBH i have been back on them sice my last try 2 weeks ago and i had my bro's stag at weekend so was very low and smoked something mad like 150 cigs with being stuck in ireland and not in berlin lol. I tried again this morning but my heart was just not in it and broke again a 11.29am on my break. i have a full pack in my pocket now and wish i didnt have them but thats €8.40 i just wasted and theres no point throwing them in the bin, will just try again tomorrow and use the patches as i cant seem to do it with willpower alone.

Anyone else finding it extremely hard?

RLG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

@ readyletsgo,

why not throw them away anyway? The money is gone and you'll just be burning the smokes anyway.

Years ago I heard of a guy who used to work on a crane. One day he opened the window and accidentally knocked his smokes out. He wasn't climbing down to get them and nobody would bring them up. He decided to do it every day and bought smokes each morning and threw them out the window when he got to the top. Eventually after a couple of weeks he simply stopped buying them.

Hey Tony, i know your right in what your saying, i just cant justify throwing 8.40 in the bin even though i already have in buyin the pack.
    I'll just try again tomorrow.
    It's crap though everytime i fail i feel like s**t. Next times the charm!

• Advertisement

Hey Ready Lets Go

It is really hard. The first couple of weeks are a b**ch. Keep trying though! There aren't many people who have successfully given up on first attempt. I'm sure if you ask anyone who has given up longterm they'll tell you that it took them I few goes. I had tried at least five times in the last three years. You will get there.....

Advertisement