Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drug smuggler Akmal Shaikh executed

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The guy broke the law in China, They punished him in occordance with thier law... they did not need to send him back to England. Doing this is intended to discourage other people from smuggling.

They can't have a law and not enforce it just becasue the person that broke the law was English. This is not relevant to them at all.

Also... Just because the Chinese had him labeled as "mentally unstable," does not mean he actually was. Anyone that does not behave in the manner the Chinese deem fit is seen as being "mentally unstable." This includes the people who try to rise against Commuinism there.

In short... don't break the law in China... you'll be fucked.

- Drav!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

magma69 wrote: »
    That has got to be to most absurd mentality I have ever heard. There would be more people in prison than on the outside! So much taxes would be spent on running the prisons the outside world would be poverty stricken and forced to turn to crime and the vicious circle would continue!:pac:

You think its absurd to not break the law? Try living somewhere outside of Ireland for a while, somewhere like, oh I dunno, China?

FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

You think its absurd to not break the law? Try living somewhere outside of Ireland for a while, somewhere like, oh I dunno, China?

FFS

Yes. Life prison for smoking a benign herb which is nowhere near as dangerous as some legal ones is completely absurd. Your proposals are completely impractical and downright tyrannical. Do you admire Mussolini or Hitler by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

I find it funny how the Brits complained at the execution of someone with "bipolar disorder" despite him having no medical history. It sounds like they were just looking for a way out.

When people visit other countries, for some reason they expect to be treated by the laws of their home country.

You may complain all you want about human rights in China but the bottom line is, if you think their punishments are harsh, then either don't go there or if you do, don't commit crimes there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭TitoPuente

Do you admire Mussolini or Hitler by any chance?

As much as I generally deplore Nazi references/accusations on web forums, this is a fair question. me_right_one - cop yourself on. Nobody wants to live in a nanny state where governments can introduce draconian, barbaric punishments anymore than people want to live in a completely lawless, chaotic state. There's a happy medium to be achieved.

Tell me... do you think chopping people's feet and hands off for stealing a loaf of bread to feed their starving family is just? Or do you think that stoning a woman to death for adultery should be enforced in Ireland?

• Advertisement

Yes. Life prison for smoking a benign herb which is nowhere near as dangerous as some legal ones is completely absurd. Your proposals are completely impractical and downright tyrannical. Do you admire Mussolini or Hitler by any chance?

Its only benign because society says it is, and thats because of people like you. Its still a mood altering drug, just like alcohol, which I would also like to see banned TBH. If the drug culture swayed back to being anti-drug, people wouldnt take them as readily, thus reducing prisoner numbers. I admire leaders, upright law abiding citizens, who are willing to help communities and better themselves throughout their lives.

Way to go there adding to cultural acceptance of crime and drugs. I hope you dont pave the way for your children to have drug problems in later life. I also hope that they grow up to have more sense than you.

TitoPuente wrote: »
    As much as I generally deplore Nazi references/accusations on web forums, this is a fair question. me_right_one - cop yourself on. Nobody wants to live in a nanny state where governments can introduce draconian, barbaric punishments anymore than people want to live in a completely lawless, chaotic state. There's a happy medium to be achieved.

Tell me... do you think chopping people's feet and hands off for stealing a loaf of bread to feed their starving family is just? Or do you think that stoning a woman to death for adultery should be enforced in Ireland?

You have it the wrong way round. We ARE living in a nanny state. A nanny state is one where arch criminals are given free legal aid, and let off time after time cos they come from a "disadvantaged" background.

Well I didnt grow up in disneyland, and I've never shoplifted. Fcuk right off with your free legal aid.

As for chopping off hands, no. Just jail time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭TitoPuente

You have it the wrong way round. We ARE living in a nanny state. A nanny state is one where arch criminals are given free legal aid, and let off time after time cos they come from a "disadvantaged" background.

I'm glad we live in a just society where everyone is entitled to legal representation. If you're an advocate of how our judicial system functions, how could you not agree with this?

Also - when was the last time an 'arch criminal' was let off because they came from a disadvantaged background?

Don't get me wrong - I agree that serious criminals should be punished harshly. Particularly repeat offenders. But you're advocating peoples' freedoms being taken away. You seem to be advocating the complete banning of any non-medical drugs on the basis that they're "evil" without, I'm assuming, knowing a whole lot about drug use - recreational, abusive or otherwise. This includes an already legal drug - alcohol - you even think that should be banned. Well it's currently legal under the laws and statutes that you so strongly advocate. Doesn't that make you look silly?
    Well I didnt grow up in disneyland, and I've never shoplifted. Fcuk right off with your free legal aid.

Oooookay.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

So you're wrongly accused of a crime and you can't afford to pay for a legal team to defend you? What do you do then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,288 ✭✭✭positron

While it was a bit crude and last-century from China's part for executing him without giving him another six months say for doctors to examine him etc, but if you read the guy's past, it isn't all that great - all he seems to have done is break the laws on various countries - and if it wasn't for Chinese, he would have got himself killed in some other way anyway..!

Going into China with a suitcase that you didn't pack is like driving into a concrete wall - Darwinism ftw!

• Advertisement

El Weirdo wrote: »
    So you're wrongly accused of a crime and you can't afford to pay for a legal team to defend you? What do you do then?

I hate this saying, but oh my god. OMFG! WHATS WRONG WITH YOUR OWN BRAIN AND MOUTH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Hugo Drax

First there was the dream, now there is reality. Here in the untainted cradle of the heavens will be created a new super race, a race of perfect physical specimens. You have been selected as its progenitors. Like gods, your offspring will return to Earth and shape it in their image. You have all served in public capacties in my terrestrial empire. Your seed, like yourselves, will pay deference to the ultimate dynasty which I alone have created. From their first day on Earth they will be able to look up and know that there is law and order in the heavens.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭ClayDavis

I hate this saying, but oh my god. OMFG! WHATS WRONG WITH YOUR OWN BRAIN AND MOUTH?

errr... what if your own brain and mouth are not legally trained or at least familiar with court procedure?
    I have to give you credit though. You're a superb troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

I think its a scary world we live in... id say he was smuggling drugs all rite and new exactly what he was at.... but execution.... harsh...

China was under a lot of pressure not to execute him, the problem is that no doing so would seem to undermine their authority and legal system. They have sent a message to drug smugglers, its scary and harsh, for sure I would be checking my suitcase before I went to China. But with a population of 1billion you can imagine the backlash if they appeared weak and treated a foreigner differently from their own. And lets face it in 2003 China pressured the UK goverment not to go to War in Iraq and Blair was not for turning then, Goverments can't be seen to be weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

poisonated wrote: »
    What is your opinion of the guy who was executed in China yesterday?

Dead, and rightly so as well.

I'm glad we live in a just society where everyone is entitled to legal representation. If you're an advocate of how our judicial system functions, how could you not agree with this?

I'm not an advocate of our judicial system at all, its way too soft. How do you think that? I agree with some of it, and while its in place, its the best we have and everybody should abide by it. Read my previous posts for the changes in punishments I'd make.

Also - when was the last time an 'arch criminal' was let off because they came from a disadvantaged background?

Did you ever hear of martin cahill? The IRA had to get him in the end. And just look at all the scumbags walking through our cities. They dont profit from crime?

Don't get me wrong - I agree that serious criminals should be punished harshly. Particularly repeat offenders. But you're advocating peoples' freedoms being taken away. You seem to be advocating the complete banning of any non-medical drugs on the basis that they're "evil" without, I'm assuming, knowing a whole lot about drug use - recreational, abusive or otherwise. This includes an already legal drug - alcohol - you even think that should be banned. Well it's currently legal under the laws and statutes that you so strongly advocate. Doesn't that make you look silly?

What freedoms am I suggesting taking away? Whats all this about "evilness"? I never said any such thing! I'm advocating having the balls to enforce the existing laws rigidly! If a drug is illegal and you use it, you deserve jail! Simple as! The alcohol thing is just my preference, but it'll never happen.

ClayDavis wrote: »
    errr... what if your own brain and mouth are not legally trained or at least familiar with court procedure?
    I have to give you credit though. You're a superb troll.

Well if Iwas wrongly accused of a crime and couldnt afford a solicitor, I'd be BURNING through all the law books and information I could before the court. And if I was blind, I'd do it through Braille:rolleyes:

What freedoms am I suggesting taking away?
    Erm, the freedom to be represented in a court of law for a kick-off.

Do you admire Mussolini or Hitler by any chance?

No, but Ulysses Grant and Charles DeGaul would be high in my esteem. You should read about them.

Le Fil de L'epee

• Advertisement

Erm, the freedom to be represented in a court of law for a kick-off.

Haha. I dare ya to quote the post I said that in:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

JG009 wrote: »
    The laws in these countries are mad.

It's the laws in our country that's mad!!!! First TV / dog licence offence or something : jailed; 55th mugging or armed robbery : suspended sentence.

If a law says something will be the consequences of acting like a scumbag, then they should stand over it.

And no-one has the right to complain if they do something that forces the judiciary to enforce that law.....that was their (the individual scumbag's) choice.

What signal do people reckon this will send out to scum ? And what signal did the last Irish conviction that you heard of send to them ?

Haha. I dare ya to quote the post I said that in:rolleyes:
    Well, by abolishing free legal aid, you are denying the freedom of legal representation to those who can't afford it.

In this instance the man was afforded the Chinese equivalent of "due process" or fair procedures.

I think it's out rageous to execute someone for drugs as opposed to murder but thet's their laws.

He shbould have accquainted himself better with the penalties for such behaviour before he decided to head to China with a suitcase full of high grade heroin.

Well, by abolishing free legal aid, you are denying the freedom of legal representation to those who can't afford it.

Start at post 72 and catch-up.

Actually, I'm nearly sure it was you who I was answering!

Start at post 72 and catch-up.

Actually, I'm nearly sure it was you who I was answering!
    What? The "OMFG WHAT ABOUT YOUR OWN BRAIN AND MOUTH" shite? Bollocks.

Jesus fucking Christ, not everyone is as smart as you seem to think you are.

Also, you don't just need representation at the trial. Who is going to advise you whilst you are being interviewed after your arrest?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

That rabbit song is a grower. It carries a kind of perverse charm, not unlike Daniel Johnston. I'm sticking it on my ipod. What a waste of talent. Another bright hope taken away from us far too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Akmal Shaikh

As Al Murray would say "Beautiful British Name"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

ROFL he as obousley nuts listen to this

no wonder they killed i would anyway if someone sung like this hehe

• Advertisement

ROFL he as obousley nuts listen to this

no wonder they killed i would anyway if someone sung like this hehe
    What an excellent addition to the thread.

Maybe they should bring back capital punishment for bad grammar/spelling too.:rolleyes:

BTW, if you'd bothered to read the whole thread, you'd see that the video was posted in the first couple of pages.

Advertisement