Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards 200km Wicklow Surprise 2010

Options
  • 02-03-2010 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭

@Tom I am also in a similar predicament re start location. I will be aiming to do this guerilla style as you put it.
    I have come up with a nice figure of 8 course from D15. 220km with every conceivable climb in that part of Wicklow.
    Phoenix Park - Cruagh - Kippure - Sally Gap - Laragh - Wicklow Gap - Donard - 2 climbs then SM & SE.
    Laragh 125km (food stop). Roundwood Lugalla Sally Gap descend towatd Kilbride but turn right to head up Butter Mt and coe out at Bohernabreenam
    That way one would get a 200 in Wicklow and spend about 60% of time on same roads as WW200.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

ROK ON wrote: »
    @Tom I am also in a similar predicament re start location. I will be aiming to do this guerilla style as you put it.
    I have come up with a nice figure of 8 course from D15. 220km with every conceivable climb in that part of Wicklow.
    Phoenix Park - Cruagh - Kippure - Sally Gap - Laragh - Wicklow Gap - Donard - 2 climbs then SM & SE.
    Laragh 125km (food stop). Roundwood Lugalla Sally Gap descend towatd Kilbride but turn right to head up Butter Mt and coe out at Bohernabreenam
    That way one would get a 200 in Wicklow and spend about 60% of time on same roads as WW200.

Interesting. That route sounds harder than the actual w200 too, which pleases me. Have you had a go at plugging it into mmr or bikeroutetoaster or whatever to have a look at the profile? I've been meaning to try to come up with the most gruelling 200km route wicklow could offer. I mean something with over 3000km of climbing on it, preferably in big lumps not little undulations... a boards200.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Sounds much more appealing...can we make up certificates for those who complete it? I like my certificates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

From MMR I think it was 2700m. I checked it today. When in work tomorrow I will redraw and throw up a link.
    It is definitely tougher than the official route. During the summer my aim is to do one of these a week (maybe not an entire 220km but min of 160km with 2000m). I am sort of looking forward to this in that iwhile I am not that fast on the climbs but I am much more confident and capable climbing versus last year. On that basis this will be a good indication of where I am.

niceonetom wrote: »
    I mean something with over 3000km

Jesus, one league win and suddenly he wants to travel into space!

Messing around in brt I've put a version of your route in and gotten ~2700m on a 185km loop starting and finishing at the pope's cross. I think any true boards200 should really include an up-and-back visit to the mast on Kippure so that adds a bit too...

• Advertisement

Tom. I included Kippure which adds 7km. Also the route I took from Donard to SM is not the WW200 route in that it has 2 climbs before sm not the one that is on WW200. Btw in order to add Mt Leinster one would need to add only 70km to the route :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

The next boards 200 is 21 laps of Howth. 2667 meters of climbing.
    http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=105984

Raam wrote: »

21? Would you not go insane: "Oh look, it's the same route I've just done...20 times now!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Forget the laps. just over and back howth hill 42 times.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    21? Would you not go insane: "Oh look, it's the same route I've just done...20 times now!"

The most I've done in one go is thirteen. That was back in 2007, the week before my first WW200.

• Advertisement

Forget the laps. just over and back

Actually, that's what I did. I figured the flat part out to Sutton was a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

f*** me, the most i have managed is 3.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Here you go, 217km from O'Connell Bridge, 3200m of climbing.

Edmondstown Road - Djouce - Devil's Glen - Wicklow Gap - Slieve Mann - Glenmalure - Sally Gap - Bohernabreena - Glenasmole.

One big loop with only a bit of Stocking Lane covered twice, albeit in opposite directions.

My suggestion: http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=105990

BRT says 192km and 4651m climbing... seems generous to me. Another 8 km and 350m assent could be found somewhere between Donnard and SM... start and finish in the park allows people to park/congregate and avoids a bit of city cycling.

BRT says 192km and 4651m climbing... seems generous to me. Another 8 km and 350m assent could be found somewhere between Donnard and SM... start and finish in the park allows people to park/congregate and avoids a bit of city cycling.

when we doing it?

when we doing it?

Tomorrow??

Tomorrow??

I'd love too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I'd love too.

before work of course

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think there's something up with your map. I added Sorrel Hill and Glenasmole to your route, while leaving in all your climbs and only got 3,650? 245km though.

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/wicklow/dublin/789126760624319698

227km
    3000m

Which, to be fair, is plenty.
    Practically same route as NOTs. But 1000m approx in lower climbing?
    Two climbs before SM are not particularly visibile on the map.
    We could take the best parts from the 3 and merge together.
    Devils Glen is a bit off the beaten track if you know what I mean, a bit of a dog leg on the map. Just doesnt look tidy. Instead, isnt there a climb near SE and SM? IIRC If you take the left turn at the pub at the botton of SE and head toward Rathdrum that there is a climb of some sort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,023 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Is it worth splitting this non-WW200 stuff into a separate thread?

I think it should be called "Boards 200km Wicklow Surprise 2010".

The surprise being that it's not even remotely close to being 200km.

Lumen wrote: »
    Is it worth splitting this non-WW200 stuff into a separate thread?

I think it should be called "Boards 200km Wicklow Surprise 2010".

The surprise being that it's not even remotely close to being 200km.

Good idea

@el_tonto - yeah I thought BKR was being unrealistic with the elevation data. It's told me that some parks of wicklow are 100m below sea level in the past. I'm sure I would have noticed. I just put a similar route into MMR and got <2700m.

@ROK - that looks like a candidate. Maybe a bit messy at the end. How high is the top of Kippure? I had thought it was up around 700 but it looks to be <650 on MMR...

@Lumen - it probably would make sense to split this out from the W200 talk.

I'd actually be in favour of doing a B200 in addition to the W200, not instead of. There are several weekends in a summer after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

How high is the top of Kippure? I had thought it was up around 700 but it looks to be <650 on MMR...

I'd actually be in favour of doing a B200 in addition to the W200, not instead of. There are several weekends in a summer after all.
    Kippure is 750m at the top, up from around 520m at the gate.

Of course this would be in addition to, that is after all how we did it last year. My route last year was 187km but a lot more climbing than the W200:

th_Boards200Route.png th_Boards200Elevation.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

blorg wrote: »
    Kippure is 750m at the top, up from around 520m at the gate.

Of course this would be in addition to, that is after all how we did it last year. My route last year was 187km but a lot more climbing than the W200:

th_Boards200Route.png th_Boards200Elevation.png
    Cheers for this blorg - I'm looking at the mapmyride course for this year's W200 and the max height is around 550 - so I'm taking it that bit spike in your graph is Kippure, which is not on the W200 course. That graph that you have there looks a lot tougher than the W200!

Paddys Day anyone or is that too soon. I am meant to be cycling Dub to Kenmare on Mar 17 and 18 but I could be persuaded to try this on the 17th and something else on the 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

joker77 wrote: »
    I'm looking at the mapmyride course for this year's W200 and the max height is around 550 - so I'm taking it that bit spike in your graph is Kippure, which is not on the W200 course. That graph that you have there looks a lot tougher than the W200!
    Yes the spike is Kippure, it appears as the little spur in the map. The highest point in the actual W200 is 520m, the road between Dublin and Sally Gap. This is actually the highest public road in Ireland so you can't get higher. The W200 people exaggerate the height of the climbs on the signs they put up, they have Sally Gap at 550m while it is actually 500m.
    Paddys Day anyone or is that too soon. I am meant to be cycling Dub to Kenmare on Mar 17 and 18 but I could be persuaded to try this on the 17th and something else on the 18th.
    I wouldn't be averse to something like this on Patrick's Day but I might be racing. We can always do more than one, I would imagine this could become a routine Saturday spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Seems a bit extreme for mid-March, but I was planning on doing some class of a 200 on St Patrick's Day so if this goes ahead, I guess I'm in. Provided we start reasonably early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Sounds much more appealing...can we make up certificates for those who complete it? I like my certificates.

What about medals? They're shinier than certificates....

• Advertisement

rottenhat wrote: »
    Seems a bit extreme for mid-March, but I was planning on doing some class of a 200 on St Patrick's Day so if this goes ahead, I guess I'm in. Provided we start reasonably early.
    Sure you've been doing stuff like this every week.
    I would be on for early start.

Advertisement