Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If You Could Change One Thing About Ireland...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

I'd remove all people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Change licencing laws so that late bars close at 4am, with nightclubs closing at any time between 6 and 8am. Staggered closing times would mean less crowds on the street at any one time, less concentrated drunkenness, and less rowdiness as crowds naturally disperse with fewer people around.

Rather than 'oh its 10, better get to the pub and get our drinks in, oh now its 12, better get to the club and get more drink in 'im not drunk yet', and then 2 o clock, every single person in every licenced premises 'out ya go now, onto the street, go on, out with ye'!

I'd also change the working hours of public sector workers. For instance, in one of my jobs, the working hours were shifted by half an hour each way, so I started later than everyone else, and finished after everyone else, just so that any remaining orders and clients could be dealt with. This was in a private company. Yet our banks and councils all close up around the 4 o clock mark! if you are working, it is nigh on impossible to get into the bank while they are open. I dont understand this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Outlaw Fianna Fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I would swap all the men with another nationality,accept the Irish men who do actually have respect for all women and Irish women.
    Pack them all off to their poland or what ever country they think are better than Irish women.
    And go back to the days of kings of Ireland instead of the dail :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Change how irish is taught in schools
    Certain people :(
    The weather :( although it gives people something to talk about :D
    More facilities in the countryside :pac: because its soooo boring!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Change how irish is taught in schools
    Certain people :(
    The weather :( although it gives people something to talk about :D
    More facilities in the countryside :pac: because its soooo boring!!

Hey no fair at least you can tip cows and you have loads of sheeps :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭LarrytheLantern

The weather.

oh! and our moronic political system. this would involve reducing our TDs by about 60%, our Councillors by 70%, and abolishing the Seanad.
    Unfortunately getting turkeys to vote for Xmas aint easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

No doubt Pearse and comrades would be rolling around in their graves looking at today's politics

not to mention the sell out of sovereignty by the repeated nice and lisbon re-runs and the consequences of such

who really believes that Ireland would have been worse had it continued under commonwealth / british rule rather than the continued sequence of gombeen bastards who have led the country into bankruptcy and generational debt?

Look at the scots and welsh - they have their own parliaments and languages, and haven't been robbed to the core by a bunch of selfish self serving robbing pricks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Pighead wrote: »
    Pighead would change the I to an M so that the country would be called Mreland aka Mysteryland. Mystery is way better than Ire.

love it!!!! Best one tonight!!!!:D

The weather.

oh! and our moronic political system. this would involve reducing our TDs by about 60%, our Councillors by 70%, and abolishing the Seanad.
    Unfortunately getting turkeys to vote for Xmas aint easy.

Their salaries should be in line with other European countries - its shambolic that our government heads get more than Barack Obama:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

sligopark wrote: »

No doubt Pearse and comrades would be rolling around in their graves looking at today's politics

not to mention the sell out of sovereignty by the repeated nice and lisbon re-runs and the consequences of such

who really believes that Ireland would have been worse had it continued under commonwealth / british rule rather than the continued sequence of gombeen bastards who have led the country into bankruptcy and generational debt?

Look at the scots and welsh - they have their own parliaments and languages, and haven't been robbed to the core by a bunch of selfish self serving robbing pricks

My thoughts exactly!:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭draylander

Id change the position of ireland by about 100 miles.
    Thats 100 milea under the sea. All our problems would be solved. Well mine would be anyway. who needs a job when your sleeping with the fishes. There aint no mortgages in the afterlife. happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭NoHornJan

I would remove Ire from Ireland and replace it with something more soothing, because as long as we have Ire in Ireland we'll all have a pain in the @rse...

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

what would i change?
    the un-dying loyalty/gullability to quisling parties like ff and fg that has walked our once proud nation in to subservience to downing street and brussells.
    shamefull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I'd ensure we'd have a sunnier disposition in spite of the weather (but still maintain our deliciously dark sene of humour)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Make the rich pay more tax.

Free Motor Tax if you use Biofuels.

Ban all pesticides in Irish Agriculture.

Bring back / restore the Adelphi cinema.

Make sure that people gave people five options in threads instead of one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Back in the day I would have made Ian Paisley a Leprechaun but with the same political views as he had.

No wait maybe he was just a very loud oversized Leprechaun ! (Ah I would just stop confusing myself)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I would revamp public transport so

1) the red and green LUAS lines actually connected and there would be a 'yellow line' that followed the #16 route, i.e. ran from Terenure to Dublin Airport

2) Dublin bus would use the same tracking system that they have in Belfast so you can actually see when the next bus is coming

3) Dublin, Galway, Cork and Belfast (at a minimum) would be connected through a high-speed rail network so it would take a maximum of 90 minutes to make any of those trips.

4) Car service would be banned and all public officials would be required to use public transport or pay out of pocket for their own cars, just like the rest of us plebs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I would make sure that all elected representatives are fitted with a small lie/bull****ting detection machine that is surround with a small amount of high yield explosives.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    make our mountains higher, wamer dryer summers, and colder winters with plenty of snow. If we had proper bloody seasons rather than this middle of the road weather we always get we'd have the best country in the world. FACT!

Temperate Climate - sucks.... give us hot summers and -20 winters:cool::cool::cool:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I'd make Kerry good at football;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I'd make people a little more positive and get rid of the constant complaining!

I honestly don't think a day goes by when I don't hear some-one moaning about the state of the economy and lack of work, critising the church or lashing out at the government.

Ok I know things are great right now but compared to a lot countries we really haven't got it that bad. At least we don't have to deal with war or famine on a daily basis and our economy is a lot better off than many.

Lighten up folks, we need a bit positivity. Times are hard enough without the constant whining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

the rubbish they put on RTE

would it kill them to invest in all their tv shows - the clinic was the only decent looking show on rte ....we have alot of potential. if bbc invest, why cant we?

the leaving cert definately.

More universities around the country - beside dublin. for example : cork has 2 colleges and its the biggest county? come on!

the government obviously

the chavs and scumbags

the begrudgery :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    the rubbish they put on RTE

would it kill them to invest in all their tv shows - the clinic was the only decent looking show on rte ....we have alot of potential. if bbc invest, why cant we?
    Because there are millions and millions more people paying a TV licence in Britain. I'm no fan of RTE, but it's not fair to compare it to the Beeb.

Ireland should't change. The people that have ripped us off should change.

Dunnes. Tesco. V.h.I. F.A.S. and the corner shop, not their fault...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

id change the name..to something cool..like ammm..megaland..
    yeah...
    hay, where you from?..
    im from Megaland..
    yeahhh....Megaland...
    go Megaland...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

the corruption and get rid of fat ass Brian Cowen before he ruin the country to a point of no return

• Registered Users Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'd ban Fianna Fáil.

papagormo wrote: »
    id change the name..to something cool..like ammm..megaland..
    yeah...
    hay, where you from?..
    im from Megaland..
    yeahhh....Megaland...
    go Megaland...

That was mentioned last week. Something like Mystrery Land. But I said If you take the IRE out of IREland you wouldn't have a pain in the arse...
    IRE = pain..:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

LC2010HIS wrote: »

the leaving cert definately.

This. Bloody joke of an exam.

2 years work snowballed into 2 hellish weeks in June. Would it be that much effort for the mandarins in the department of education to introduce some kind of continuous assessment and more project based work to go towards the overall grade in conjunction with the exams?

That would be my thing. A complete overhaul of the education system, rooting out all the pointless bureaucracy involved with it too. Education is a gift, something that should be loved and valued, not rammed down the throat while being force fed essays that are forgotten after a 3 and a half hour exam.

Advertisement