Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pav, lower prices afer budget?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Boston wrote: »
    Yes, the same amount of alcohol with one tenth of the volume. Thats the problem. Promotes drinking to excess.

I really don't see how. Responsible drinking is about the choices you make, it's nothing to do with the strength of the drink. Tell me, does wine promote drinking to excess moreso than beer?

As a completley unrelated aside i don't think many people would be drinking them straight. At €1 a pint, cordial bought at the bar is a cheap and convenient mixer (i'd suggest they expand their range of flavours).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

vinylmesh wrote: »
    I really don't see how. Responsible drinking is about the choices you make, it's nothing to do with the strength of the drink. Tell me, does wine promote drinking to excess moreso than beer?

As a completley unrelated aside i don't think many people would be drinking them straight. At €1 a pint cordial bought at the bar is much cheaper than soft drinks from a convenince store.

I generally see them being knocked back straight. They are bought for the purposes of load drinking. Get the cheap naggin in and start the night fuked like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

The pav should sell naggins. Not everyone enjoys beer/cider.

They already sell cans and the disparity between cans and pints is nowhere near that of bottles of spirits in off-licences and "measures" in pubs.

I know it's not going to happen but i don't see why (other than closed-mindedness or fear of a closed-minded knee-jerk reaction). A naggin contains roughly the same amount of alcohol as a 4pack of bavaria and they have no problems selling them.

But then if they started selling naggins, it would stopped being called a sneaky naggin when I drink mine in the pav. And quite frankly, the sneaky aspect of the naggin is the best part..

I generally see them being knocked back straight. They are bought for the purposes of load drinking. Get the cheap naggin in and start the night fuked like.

People who knock back whole naggins straight are a very small minority. Trust me, your stomach would know all about it.

The behaviour you describe is what you'd expect from someone who wants to minimise their purchasing of expensive drinks at a club or something. It's not how someone who's drinking what they have bought at the place would behave. You have to bear in mind that a naggin at the pav would be more expensive than 4 cans of bavaria, so the people interested in getting wasted would obviously buy the beer.

Students who prefer to drink vodka (for health/taste reasons) will be the only ones buying these. We are a large minority whose needs aren't really being catered for by the pav atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Not everyone enjoys beer/cider.

Strap on a pair...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

One would have thought you'd prefer wine as this stage of the integration process frenchie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

phlegms wrote: »
    But then if they started selling naggins, it would stopped being called a sneaky naggin when I drink mine in the pav. And quite frankly, the sneaky aspect of the naggin is the best part..

Id imagine they dont sell naggins in the pav for the exact same reasons any other pub doesnt sell naggins, unless ofc they sell off sales.

And unlike mosts pubs, the 4 for 8 has been in place for years. So every time the price of buying them from the supplier went up, the pav took the hit, not the flush students.

Id imagine they dont sell naggins in the pav for the exact same reasons any other pub doesnt sell naggins, unless ofc they sell off sales.
    But other pubs don't sell cans, do they?
    Toulousain wrote: »
    Strap on a pair...

haha.... hilarious :rolleyes:.

I feel sorry for guys with such fragile male identities that they feel the need to drink beer to maintain one. They certainly don't have this in other countrys.

I agree that some people may instantly enjoy beer, but they seem like the minority. Most beer drinkers I have talked to admit to going through a phase of drinking beer and not enjoying it before they became tolerant to it's taste. Why?

It's funny, but i have some friends who claim to "like the taste of beer" yet I can drink a pint faster than them despite being open about my dislike for the stuff. I suspose it's not just guys though, I know a girl who claims to like wine, but clearly doesn't based on her facial expressions while drinking it.

Going through unneccesary discomfort purely to fit in is stupid imo.

quote]

In general no, but the 4 for 8 is the bars biggest seller as far as im aware and the cheap alternative to higher priced products. Selling naggins would reduce revenue even further, with the knock on effect of less funds for DUCAC. Which in turn means less funds for sports in trinity.

The Pav is a buisness and run as buisness, not a non profit club bar, where students can go on the piss for 5 euro. Id imagine if the bar did not turn a profit, you guys would still be pissing in bushes and laneways instead on new toilets...!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

It's funny, but i have some friends who claim to "like the taste of beer" yet I can drink a pint faster than them despite being open about my dislike for the stuff.

Perhaps they take longer because they like the taste and don't feel the need to knock it back? If someone hates beer, then I cold imagine that any time they do drink it, they take occasional big gulps in an effort to get it down the hatch without having to taste too much of it. This behaviour would make much excellent practice for skulling a pint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I agree that some people may instantly enjoy beer, but they seem like the minority. Most beer drinkers I have talked to admit to going through a phase of drinking beer and not enjoying it before they became tolerant to it's taste. Why?

There's also the matter of maturity of taste. Children like white chocolate, but as you grow older, you lose the taste for sweet white chocolate and prefer dark chocolate. When I was younger, I couldn't stand the taste of beer. Now I'd prefer a quality beer to any other drink. Any teenager who doesn't like beer, give them a few years, and their taste will mature, and eventually they will. It's not being acclimatized to it, it's a physical thing.

One would have thought you'd prefer wine as this stage of the integration process frenchie.

Well, a lot can be said for a nice bottle of 2003 Cotes du Rhone red (grenache in particular), though the prices here are just utterly prohibitative... I mean, you're hitting serious business at €8 over in Frogland.

Perhaps they take longer because they like the taste and don't feel the need to knock it back? If someone hates beer, then I cold imagine that any time they do drink it, they take occasional big gulps in an effort to get it down the hatch without having to taste too much of it. This behaviour would make much excellent practice for skulling a pint.
    Perhaps, but not when the person involved explicitly states "I'm drinking it as fast as i can" (or something else to that effect) and I am pausing for a good 40-50 seconds between mouthfulls. If they really enjoyed the taste they'd have been able to drink it with the same ease as they would a glass of 7up (which is incidentally how the proper beer drinkers drank theirs).

Regardless, there is no doubt in my mind that there are people out there who dislike beer but drink it anyway to fit in. And I have already stated that I'm pretty sure I know a few of these people myself. Fear of being the butt of jokes such as toulousian's are probably why they do this. Imo, this is a bit sad. Would you not agree?
    There's also the matter of maturity of taste. Children like white chocolate, but as you grow older, you lose the taste for sweet white chocolate and prefer dark chocolate. When I was younger, I couldn't stand the taste of beer. Now I'd prefer a quality beer to any other drink. Any teenager who doesn't like beer, give them a few years, and their taste will mature, and eventually they will. It's not being acclimatized to it, it's a physical thing.
    Personally i think that's a load of bullshit. Although I guess the only way to prove it would be to get some adults who have never drank beer (or any other alcoholic drink) and get them to try some beer and see whether they like the taste. I'd be inclined to think they'd find it horribly bitter.

It's strange, but a lot of women I know claim to not like beer (not all of them young). Do you think that men just have a more mature sense of taste than women?
    In general no, but the 4 for 8 is the bars biggest seller as far as im aware and the cheap alternative to higher priced products. Selling naggins would reduce revenue even further, with the knock on effect of less funds for DUCAC. Which in turn means less funds for sports in trinity.

The Pav is a buisness and run as buisness, not a non profit club bar, where students can go on the piss for 5 euro. Id imagine if the bar did not turn a profit, you guys would still be pissing in bushes and laneways instead on new toilets...!
    C'mon. Is that really all you've got?

Obviously appropriate profit margins would apply to the naggins. I don't for one second think they'd be as cheap as an off-licence, but they would be much cheaper than buying 6 shots at the bar (which i doubt any of the bar staff honestly expect students to pay). I don't see how this scheme could result in anything but more profit for the pav.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

I've been in places that do yea. Only when they run a tap dry though. One place in particular in Clare that ran dry at a late enough hour and just poured cans into glasses for people. I wouldn't imagine its too legal, but it was that late a night that they obviously had their own stockpile because there was nowhere else they could have gotten it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Perhaps, but not when the person involved explicitly states "I'm drinking it as fast as i can" (or something else to that effect) and I am pausing for a good 40-50 seconds between mouthfulls. If they really enjoyed the taste they'd have been able to drink it with the same ease as they would a glass of 7up (which is incidentally how the proper beer drinkers drank theirs).

Regardless, there is no doubt in my mind that there are people out there who dislike beer but drink it anyway to fit in. And I have already stated that I'm pretty sure I know a few of these people myself. Fear of being the butt of jokes such as toulousian's are probably why they do this. Imo, this is a bit sad. Would you not agree?Personally i think that's a load of bullshit. Although I guess the only way to prove it would be to get some adults who have never drank beer (or any other alcoholic drink) and get them to try some beer and see whether they like the taste. I'd be inclined to think they'd find it horribly bitter.

It's strange, but a lot of women I know claim to not like beer (not all of them young). Do you think that men just have a more mature sense of taste than women?C'mon. Is that really all you've got?

Obviously appropriate profit margins would apply to the naggins. I don't for one second think they'd be as cheap as an off-licence, but they would be much cheaper than buying 6 shots at the bar (which i doubt any of the bar staff honestly expect students to pay). I don't see how this scheme could result in anything but more profit for the pav.

TL;DR

'Some of my friends are absolute pussys who can't drink beer. I am also a pussy, so I think the pav should sell naggins'

In response to your post....do what I do when funds are low. Go buy a shoulder in the offie by the davenport hotel and drink it in the hamo computer rooms while browsing boards. Great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Great craic indeed, especially when it's like 6.30 and they're fairly full, and you're trying to crack open your cans as quietly as possible to avoid suspicion.

Might catch you in there some time!

Edit: Also +1 on the pussies point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

I thought cider was what men who don't like the taste of beer drank instead?

vinylmesh - not everyone who drinks beer or cider and doesn't like the taste is doing it to be cool. Some of us are just broke and prefer the cheaper way of drinking that doesn't involve smuggling a naggin in.

C'mon. Is that really all you've got?

So selling the same amount of spirits for alot less, will result in more profits - bearing in mind ofc, there is a larger mark up on spirits sold by the measure :confused::confused::confused:

Not to mention promoting excessive drinking, and dont try tell me students know when they have had enough. Selling spirits by the measure pretty much ensures you are limiting their alcolhol intake by staggering the amount they comsume in a certain time period. Selling a naggin at a bar will pretty much say "here go knock that back in one go", and i dont mean that literally, but measures become a whole lot less diluted and much bigger. And dont try telling me otherwise, ive seen this happen in pubs where people have brought thier own naggins in.

On numerous occassions ive seen the damage naggins (or bigger bottles) have done to young people inexperienced and looking to get drunk quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

I don't think you're going about this in the proper manner, grimey.
    Have you thought of contacting the pav directly with your novel business idea?

If you do, they may be able to give you a very succint reason for saying no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I feel sorry for guys with such fragile male identities that they feel the need to drink beer to maintain one. They certainly don't have this in other countrys.

Try drinking some decent beers and then see....

• Advertisement

Regardless, there is no doubt in my mind that there are people out there who dislike beer but drink it anyway to fit in. And I have already stated that I'm pretty sure I know a few of these people myself. Fear of being the butt of jokes such as toulousian's are probably why they do this. Imo, this is a bit sad. Would you not agree?

1) I'm sure these people exist. Don't get me wrong, I just think you're hugely over estimating their numbers.

2) A Bav at the Pav is an institution.

3) My joke was ironic.
    Personally i think that's a load of bullshit. Although I guess the only way to prove it would be to get some adults who have never drank beer (or any other alcoholic drink) and get them to try some beer and see whether they like the taste. I'd be inclined to think they'd find it horribly bitter.

I used to hate Guinness. Barring stuggling a few mouthfuls at my Grandad's funeral, I hadn't had a taste of the stuff for 3 years. On Arthur Guinness day, I figured "Why not give it a try just today?". It was delicious. No accustomisation to the taste, just a more mature pallette

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Guinness can only be consumed cold and with salty food.

So selling the same amount of spirits for alot less, will result in more profits - bearing in mind ofc, there is a larger mark up on spirits sold by the measure

Well instead of people sneaking naggins in they would at least be paying the pav for them instead of the off licenses. Thats where the further profit would be made. The point is they would actually be selling far more spirits than they usually would.

dan719 wrote: »
    TL;DR
    Go buy a shoulder in the offie by the davenport hotel and drink it in the hamo computer
    rooms while browsing boards. Great craic.

I'll never get tired of that image....:D Feckin students

gearoidof wrote: »
    I don't think you're going about this in the proper manner, grimey.
    Have you thought of contacting the pav directly with your novel business idea?

If you do, they may be able to give you a very succint reason for saying no.

Going through the SU might yield better results, if a few of those lads went on a campaign to lower the prices it'd have to happen. Also, it's be another minor feather in their cap, along with the 'we took down the government' feather on the fees issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

I doubt the SU would do that.
    By asking the pav to lower their prices, they'd be seen as anti sports clubs, and this at a time when they're trying to fix up DUCAC.
    Shooting themselves in the foot, basically.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Going through the SU might yield better results, if a few of those lads went on a campaign to lower the prices it'd have to happen. Also, it's be another minor feather in their cap, along with the 'we took down the government' feather on the fees issue.
    Perhaps the SU could have a sit in in the Pav?

So selling the same amount of spirits for alot less, will result in more profits - bearing in mind ofc, there is a larger mark up on spirits sold by the measure :confused::confused::confused:

fh041205 already dealt with this point.
    fh041205 wrote: »
    Well instead of people sneaking naggins in they would at least be paying the pav for them instead of the off licenses. Thats where the further profit would be made. The point is they would actually be selling far more spirits than they usually would.
    Not to mention promoting excessive drinking, and dont try tell me students know when they have had enough. Selling spirits by the measure pretty much ensures you are limiting their alcolhol intake by staggering the amount they comsume in a certain time period. Selling a naggin at a bar will pretty much say "here go knock that back in one go", and i dont mean that literally, but measures become a whole lot less diluted and much bigger. And dont try telling me otherwise, ive seen this happen in pubs where people have brought thier own naggins in.

On numerous occassions ive seen the damage naggins (or bigger bottles) have done to young people inexperienced and looking to get drunk quickly.

*sigh*

These are the very same arguments Boston made. I have already given my response to them here;
    and here;
    With the 4 cans of bavaria cheaper than the naggins, the only people who would buy the naggins would be the people who usually choose spirits over beer and know how to drink them.
    shay_562 wrote: »
    I thought cider was what men who don't like the taste of beer drank instead?

vinylmesh - not everyone who drinks beer or cider and doesn't like the taste is doing it to be cool. Some of us are just broke and prefer the cheaper way of drinking that doesn't involve smuggling a naggin in.

Yeah, but cider is one of the nastier drinks you can drink (health-wise). It may taste slightly better but given the choice between the two i'd personally always go with the beer.

Surely people like you would benifit from the option of a pav-bought naggin?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

fh041205 wrote: »

The naggins have to be kept sneaky! The profit margin on a naggin is tiny, so if in an attempt to compete with off licences the Pav sold naggins, the drop in sales of all other drinks as a result would cripple them. They simply can't be allowed, for numerous other reasons also.

• Advertisement

Jonathan wrote: »
    Perhaps the SU could have a sit in in the Pav?

We could merge it with the next beers. Then maybe the SU will give TCD boards a budget.

Advertisement