Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pav, lower prices afer budget?

Options
  • 16-12-2009 3:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭

Was in the Pav tonight, looks like the prices have stayed the exact same after the budget cuts in alcohol. Doesn't seem right to me, as the Pav shouldn't be as business orientated as the other pubs in Dublin. Anyone agree?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

I heard that some pubs and bars and stuff are selling there existing stock at the original pre-budget prices and the reduction will come with new stock. Otherwise they would make a loss.
    You should ask the bar manager

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

All I know is the pub where I work had the prices lowered the next day, regardless of existing stock. Tbh I wouldn't expect the pav to lower the prices as they're already low enough, but they could get in trouble if they don't. They better keep the 4 for 8 deal going, it's handier than a load of change!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlueCam

FluffyCat wrote: »
    I heard that some pubs and bars and stuff are selling there existing stock at the original pre-budget prices and the reduction will come with new stock. Otherwise they would make a loss.
    You should ask the bar manager

But that's BS - excise duty is an indirect sales tax paid by the consumer - it's not like VAT which is added at all levels of production. It isn't "paid" until the good is consumed, therefore it doesn't matter when the stock was actually bought.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

BlueCam wrote: »
    But that's BS - excise duty is an indirect sales tax paid by the consumer - it's not like VAT which is added at all levels of production. It isn't "paid" until the good is consumed, therefore it doesn't matter when the stock was actually bought.
    I was about to post that.

Same applies to petrol and diesel etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

They should bring it down to like 4 for €7.50 or something like that. Fair enough to leave it as is in a regular pub, where it's going to be expensive no matter what, but the Pav is supposed to be as cheap as possible for the students.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Juxta Dublin

They should bring it down to like 4 for €7.50 or something like that. Fair enough to leave it as is in a regular pub, where it's going to be expensive no matter what, but the Pav is supposed to be as cheap as possible for the students.

Ah come on, 4 for 8 is an outrageously good deal, I wouldn't expect them to bring it any lower.

Ah come on, 4 for 8 is an outrageously good deal, I wouldn't expect them to bring it any lower.

Well the whole point of the reduction of alcohol in the budget was for it to pass on to consumers, not for businesses to make more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

intentions vs reality. hmmmm.

4 for 8 is fine, maybe they'll bring the price per can down to 2:20.

gearoidof wrote: »
    intentions vs reality. hmmmm.

4 for 8 is fine, maybe they'll bring the price per can down to 2:20.

The price of Bavaria/Amstel is generally going down in offos, so there's no reason it shouldn't in the Pav tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I don't think the price decrease was aimed for cans, to quote it was "pints"

• Advertisement

Jev/N wrote: »
    I don't think the price decrease was aimed for cans, to quote it was "pints"

It was aimed at reducing cross border shopping - i.e. it reduced the wholesale prices of beer + spirits so offos and supermarkets could lower their prices, people weren't going over the border to get a pint in a pub. But it also means that as bars will be getting cheaper rates, they should pass it on to the customer.
    I expect the drinks industry to play its part in making the cost of alcohol more competitive. If I find this reduction has not been passed on to the consumer I will reverse today’s reduction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

For all you know the Pav was buying their stock in the UK and sneaking it down south.

I'm aware duty is still due but I just want to muddy the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I've only been in the Pav like 3 times..what is the 4 for 8 offer? 4 cans of Bavaria?

Meh...I'd prefer if they reduced the prices of decent pints in there.

pints are already cheaper then any of the surrounding bars. Good luck getting a decent one btw.

Whatever they do, I hope they bring back the Bav, or even better, Tuborg. That Amstel doesn't settle well in the stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Boston wrote: »
    pints are already cheaper then any of the surrounding bars. Good luck getting a decent one btw.

Pintish bottle of Erdinger. Sorted.

You are a classier bloke then i ever imagined.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Whatever they do, I hope they bring back the Bav, or even better, Tuborg. That Amstel doesn't settle well in the stomach.

Me too. Do they just change the beer periodically or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Yeah, Amstell is pretty rank. I would actually be so happy if they started doing Tuborg. Beer of Danish kings.

Can't imagine they'll change the price of cans anyway. Didn't hear Lenihan mention anything about a 'bav in the pav'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Unpleasant shock when I had to fork out €11 for four cans of Druids on Thursday night... just as I'm getting used to getting six of the same for less than a tenner in Centra/Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Unpleasant shock when I had to fork out €11 for four cans of Druids on Thursday night... just as I'm getting used to getting six of the same for less than a tenner in Centra/Tesco.

It's Trinity's way of stopping your knacker drinking of **** cider.

The Walsho wrote: »
    Yeah, Amstell is pretty rank. I would actually be so happy if they started doing Tuborg. Beer of Danish kings.

If they started doing Karpackie I'd be the SU's bitch for a month. Love the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

If they started doing Karpackie I'd be the SU's bitch for a month. Love the stuff.

Four for a fiver :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

They had Pratzsky (sp?) there a while back, an old favorite of mine. Twas delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Pav is run by DUCAC, not SU.

Kwekubo wrote: »
    Pav is run by DUCAC, not SU.

I very vaguely implied that I meant if the SU campaigned to get Karpackie sold. Something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭big_show

Boston wrote: »

Damn right! wandered into the Temple bar pub last night for a pint, €6.45 for a pint of Heineken....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

big_show wrote: »
    Damn right! wandered into the Temple bar pub last night for a pint, €6.45 for a pint of Heineken....

Let it go already :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

The pav should sell naggins. Not everyone enjoys beer/cider.

They already sell cans and the disparity between cans and pints is nowhere near that of bottles of spirits in off-licences and "measures" in pubs.

I know it's not going to happen but i don't see why (other than closed-mindedness or fear of a closed-minded knee-jerk reaction). A naggin contains roughly the same amount of alcohol as a 4pack of bavaria and they have no problems selling them.

• Advertisement

vinylmesh wrote: »
    The pav should sell naggins. Not everyone enjoys beer/cider.

They already sell cans and the disparity between cans and pints is nowhere near that of bottles of spirits in off-licences and "measures" in pubs.

I know it's not going to happen but i don't see why (other than closed-mindedness or fear of a closed-minded knee-jerk reaction). A naggin contains roughly the same amount of alcohol as a 4pack of bavaria and they have no problems selling them.

Yes, the same amount of alcohol with one tenth of the volume. Thats the problem. Promotes drinking to excess.

Advertisement