Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MVP

Options
  • 14-12-2009 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭

With 3 weeks left who do you think deserves the following awards for the season:

MVP: Toss up between Manning and Brees
    Offensive Player: Welker
    Defensive Player: Dumervil
    Offensive Rookie: Harvin
    Defensive Rookie: Orakpo
    Head Coach: Payton

Wes Welker has been unbelievable this season, currently has 105 catches (18 more than 2nd), is 2nd in total receiving yards and he has 2 less games played then everybody else. He tied Marvin Harrison's record as fastest to 100 catches in a season in 11 games (really 9 since he missed the first 2).

He has shown heart, toughness and determination in every game this season and has put a lot of other Patriot players to shame. He gets laid out several times a game by guys 100lbs heavier than him but gets str8 back up onto he's feet and catches the next pass. He is the ultimate professional and a perfect role model for kids who watch the game. I'm starting to believe he is more important than Brady on the Patriots team as he had an excellant season last year with Cassel and was the main go to guy for him also. All this from a 5ft9, 185lb free agent rookie...not bad eh?

ImgDyn.cfm?s=AP091018028828.jpg&c=1&w=500&cs=1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

MVP Chris Johnson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

MVP: Farve-he is the reason that the Vikes are going to be the no 2 seed
    Offensive Player: Drew Brees
    Defensive Player: Dumervil
    Defensive Rookie: Brian Cushing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

MVP: Brett Favre (But could as easily be Brees or Manning)

OFF Player: Chris Johnson
    OFF Rookie: Percy Harvin
    DEF Palyer: Elvis Dumervil
    DEF Rookie: Vontae Davis

MVP Chris Johnson

You can't give MVP to a player on a team with a losing record, IMO.
    I think one of the reasons Manning might win it is because of his "Value". Brees is hugely important, but the D and running game are equally as important to that team.
    That's what blows me away about Favre - he's MVP on a team WITH Peterson on it. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

Touche, I'll edit if titans miss out:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

MVP: Manning/Favre/Brees
    Offensive Player: Johnson
    Defensive Player: Revis
    Offensive Rookie: Harvin/Britt
    Defensive Rookie: Orakpo/Maualuga
    Head Coach: Payton

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

MVP: Brees
    Offensive: Johnson
    Defensive: Revis
    Defensive Rookie: Brian Cushing (even though I think Orakpo will get it)
    Rookie most looking forward to seeing next year: Rolando McClain (if he declares)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

MVP: Manning/Brees
    Offensive Player: Johnson
    Defensive Player: Revis
    Defensive Rookie: Orakpo/Cushing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

MVP: Peyton Manning.
    Offensive Player: Chris Johnson.
    Defensive Player: Charles Woodson.
    Offensive Rookie: Percy Harvin.
    Defensive Rookie: Brian Cushing.
    Coach: Jim Caldwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,863 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

MVP: Should be Chris Johnson but probably Brees shades if over Manning.
    Offensive Player: Chris Johnson
    Defensive Player: Elvis Dumervil
    Offensive Rookie: Hard to call, one of Moreno/Harvin/Collie
    Defensive Rookie: Jairus Byrd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭ArmCandyBaby

MVP: Brees just shades Favre for me. Manning got a soft one last year so no and Johnson's on a losing team and was missing for too much at the start of the season.
    Offensive Player: Chris Johnson deserves this one though because he has been ridiculous and barring injury he'll break the yards from scrimmage record.
    Defensive Player: Revis.
    Offensive Rookie: Harvin.
    Defensive Rookie: Cushing.
    Coach: Payton.

MVP Manning got a soft one last year

:eek::eek: Back from knee surgery, taking a team from 3-4 to 12-4, is a soft one?
    I'd hate to see a hard one.
    Also,there's a reason MVP is a different award to OFF MVP, or DEF MVP.

davyjose wrote: »
    :eek::eek: Back from knee surgery, taking a team from 3-4 to 12-4, is a soft one?
    That doesn't count at all for MVP.

I personally thought AP should have got it and Rivers was next in line for me last season. They both had outstanding years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Manning got a soft one last year so no

Winning 8 on trot as well as a statistically sound season means he deserved it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

MVP: Drew Brees (Consensus says it's his to lose now apparently)
    Defensive Player: Charles Woodson
    Offensive Rookie: Percy Harvin
    Defensive Rookie: Jairus Byrd
    Head Coach: Marvin Lewis

eagle eye wrote: »
    That doesn't count at all for MVP.

I personally thought AP should have got it and Rivers was next in line for me last season. They both had outstanding years.

No you're right, it doesn't. But the fact is, Manning dragged the Colts from 3-4 to 12-4 winning 9 games in a row. When he needed them to take the slack, they didn't*. It proves his "value" because basically we got a glimpse of the Colts without a fit Manning.

Rivers had a huge december, but San Diego were not great up to that. peterson was definitely a contender, but i would not say Manning had a soft one.

Here we go again............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Chris Johnson has 1626yds so far and needs 479yds(159yds/remaining game) to reach Eric Dickerson's NFL record single season total of 2105 yds which has stood since 1984. Johnson is probably already favourite to be offensive player of the year, but if he breaks Dickerson's 25 year old NFL record, then he must get the MVP award. His remaining games are home against Miami(14th vs Rush), San Diego(21st vs Rush) and away to Seattle(11th vs Rush).

Here we go again............

No. no. I agree it was an open year, but certainly not soft. Put it this way, if Rivers won it this year, there'd be surprise, but last year nobaody had the kind of season that Favre, Brees or Manning are having this year. what Rivers is doing for SD is a lot like what Manning did last year. That's all. i'll go now :D

Back from knee surgery, taking a team from 3-4 to 12-4, is a soft one?

But he was the one who got them to 3-4 in the first place!! How does that suddenly not count?! He performed well over 9 games but that's hardly enough - it's just over half the season. I say it was soft because if he performed like that this year or in 07, 06, 05 etc. he wouldn't have been talked about at all. Furthermore, I think to get it two years in a row you have to be so phenomenally good that they just can't award it to anyone else ie. Manning 03-04...

• Advertisement

Hold on a second people are saying Peyton Manning didn't deserve but in the same boat Chris Johnson had a less than stellar start to the season this season 2 solid games out of his first 6 and now is on a streak of excellent games. So does this now make him no longer worthy of MVP if the Titans were pushing for the Bowl?

heyjude wrote: »
    Chris Johnson has 1626yds so far and needs 479yds(159yds/remaining game) to reach Eric Dickerson's NFL record single season total of 2105 yds which has stood since 1984. Johnson is probably already favourite to be offensive player of the year, but if he breaks Dickerson's 25 year old NFL record, then he must get the MVP award. His remaining games are home against Miami(14th vs Rush), San Diego(21st vs Rush) and away to Seattle(11th vs Rush).

Tom Brady and Randy Moss broke records in 2007 and didn't get MVP so why should Chris Johnson be any different? And Chris Johnson isn't even getting to the Post season so to be honest most likely wont be considered for MVP come the playoffs. He will definitely get Offensive MVP though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

MVP: Drew Brees (or Manning)
    Defensive Player: Darren Sharper (or Revis)
    Offensive Rookie: Percy Harvin
    Defensive Rookie: Brian Cushing (or Jairus Byrd)
    Head Coach: Sean Payton

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Tom Brady and Randy Moss broke records in 2007 and didn't get MVP

Brady was MVP in 2007 (Brady won offensive player too)

A better example would be Brees last year. 2nd highest passing yards of all time but on a not great team so he won Offensive player, leaving MVP to those play off bound

Dodge wrote: »
    Brady was MVP in 2007 (Brady won offensive player too)

A better example would be Brees last year. 2nd highest passing yards of all time but on a not great team so he won Offensive player, leaving MVP to those play off bound

I for some reason thought it was Eli manning :o Doh!

I for some reason thought it was Eli manning :o Doh!

Super Bowl MVP ;)

Ah if Brady didn't win MVP in '07 it would have devalued the award to the point of being meaningless.

Super Bowl MVP ;)

Ah if Brady didn't win MVP in '07 it would have devalued the award to the point of being meaningless.

Taxi for 1 taxi for 1. I'm off now....... :D:D

But he was the one who got them to 3-4 in the first place!! How does that suddenly not count?! He performed well over 9 games but that's hardly enough - it's just over half the season. I say it was soft because if he performed like that this year or in 07, 06, 05 etc. he wouldn't have been talked about at all. Furthermore, I think to get it two years in a row you have to be so phenomenally good that they just can't award it to anyone else ie. Manning 03-04...

My point is that before the 3-4 and after the 12-4 the team was the exact same, so the only variable was Manning's health. We'll assume he was at full health in the second half of the season, so if an improved Manning is the difference between a team with a losing record, to an unbeaten team, then that surely indicates that the guy is seriously valuable to the Colts.

As eagle pointed out, I'm not making allowances for the early part of the season, but I am merely making the point that the decision to make Manning MVP was a sound one. 12-4 is still 12-4, and as proven above, that was ALL down to Manning.

Edit: FWIW i know I seem to be running a 1 man Peyton fan Club (although he is easily my favourite player), personally I was surprised he won it, and would probably have given it to AP. But it wasn't soft. That's all I'm saying.

Hold on a second people are saying Peyton Manning didn't deserve but in the same boat Chris Johnson had a less than stellar start to the season this season 2 solid games out of his first 6 and now is on a streak of excellent games. So does this now make him no longer worthy of MVP if the Titans were pushing for the Bowl?

I think I'm the only one that said Peyton didn't deserve it last year because he didn't perform for the first half and I think CJ doesn't deserve it this year for the same reason. Eagle Eye was the other one who wasn't for Manning but for CJ this year but he said nothing about eithers poor streak so could have a different reason to mine. One thing to take on board though is that even with his poor start CJ is chasing down one of the very top NFL season records which Manning wasn't even close to doing last year.

• Advertisement

I certainly don't think Manning should have got it last year. I still think he should have 3 awards though, he should have got it in 2006.

LT got it that year, he had 1800+ yards on the season. Shaun Alexander got it the year before for a similar feat. AP had 1760 last year but didn't get it. I understand that the first two had better seasons, but in all fairness when you have QBs like Rivers and Hasselback throwing 3500 or so yards and having ratings in the 90's its going to make it easier for a RB as the opposing D cannot just protect against the run and it will be easier to find holes as a result.

Chris Johnson is going to go very close to breaking Dickerson's record and his ypc is through the roof. Every D is watching Johnson but he is still just destroying them.

Advertisement