Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Worst car of the decade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

2001_Used_Cars_Toyota_Corolla_Saloon_second_hand_cars_JAPAN.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Redisle wrote: »
    If it's an ugly contest..

20080629_mini-clubman-main-1.jpg

Was horrified when I saw one of these things last year sometime!

and the worst bit is they gave it the wrong name......

This is a Clubman
    clubman1275gt.jpg

were as this is a Mini Traveller...
    fs_1961_mini_coutryman_traveller_woody-side.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Nissan Tiida FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭sk8board

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Christ, how is a Laguna the worst car from the last 10 years? it looks decent, is very comfortable, top safety and had high levels of equipment.
    They're not that reliable but come on!

its simple really; no-one here is going to list a single car that sold as many as the Laguna II and gave as much hardship.
    We'll list ugly cars, bland cars, and lots of others that sold maybe 100 units in Ireland, but nothing like the laguna II.

How many of those people unsuspectingly spent 30-35k on a diesel Laguna, only for it to be worth 5-7k in three years thought the worst depreciation of pretty much any car available on the market.

You can get a '06 for €5k today.

renault main dealers didn't even want to get them back as trade-ins in their own garages. speaks volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Citroen c6 hasn't a great resale either. would still love one. doesn't make it a bad car. Huge lack of imagination if people are sugesting Corollas or Lagunas as the worst car of the decade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭NLane

Saab Ed wrote: »

prime_small.jpg

+1... shudder...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

sk8board wrote: »
    How many of those people unsuspectingly spent 30-35k on a diesel Laguna, only for it to be worth 5-7k in three years thought the worst depreciation of pretty much any car available on the market.

You can get a '06 for €5k today.

renault main dealers didn't even want to get them back as trade-ins in their own garages. speaks volumes.
    You're going to suggest the Laguna purely based on depreciation? How many 100k cars have halved in value over the same time period?! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Shires

ronaneire wrote: »
    cheap-electric-cars.jpg

The first time I saw one of these (stationary in traffic in central London) it contained a 6'-something man who looked very squashed, and without a hint of a lie to you, I took a picture and roared laughing whist pointing at the poor chap.

He gave a sheepish smile back as in "yes I know it's all a bit poncy isn't it". Must try to dig it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

AudiQ7.jpg

The weight of a small car heavier than an X5, even the Americans think the Q7 is a lard-ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Shires wrote: »
    The first time I saw one of these (stationary in traffic in central London) it contained a 6'-something man who looked very squashed, and without a hint of a lie to you, I took a picture and roared laughing whist pointing at the poor chap.

He gave a sheepish smile back as in "yes I know it's all a bit poncy isn't it". Must try to dig it up!

Cant help thinking the designers were watching the episode of the Simpsons with the really tall guy getting slagged by Nelson in his little car and figured they'd have a go at making the thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Was in Spain last week, Seville is full of those microcars. AFAIK in the UK they are classed as motorbikes and can be driven at 16, you can also use bus lanes and pay no road tax.
    Still wouldn't buy one.
    Saw a few with very light damage and the headlights were falling off. Wouldn't like to crash one, but also wouldn't like to fall off a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Ssssssssssangyong Rodius

ssong-yang_rodius-L.jpg

I ask anyone to point out something nice about the look of this car.
    Honestly how could you be involved with the design of this car & not turn around at some stage & say hey lads this thing is rotten, do yiz want to start again?

Probably reliable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Ssssssssssangyong Rodius
    Honestly how could you be involved with the design of this car & not turn around at some stage & say hey lads this thing is rotten, do yiz want to start again?

They finished that on a Friday evening!! :cool:

The-Game wrote: »
    They finished that on a Friday evening!! :cool:

That 'innovative' diagonal rear pillar was probably caused by the designers hand slipping off the drawing board coz he was wrecked on the South Korean equivalent of dutch gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Danuogma

Anything made by Daewoo/Chevrolet. Abominations.

477265-m2655299.jpg

232848-m914571.jpg

478972-m2635889.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭richiepoorman

The Suzuki Liana saloon (As used in Top Gear I think) has got to be a contender, any Toyota saloon, also Kia Magentis,any Daewoo ????:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

That 'innovative' diagonal rear pillar was probably caused by the designers hand slipping off the drawing board coz he was wrecked on the South Korean equivalent of dutch gold.
    The car was designed by Ken Greenley, former head of the automotive design course at the Royal College of Art in London

• Registered Users Posts: 65,001 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The SUV in general and indeed, the Q7 in particular. Bigger and fatter than any other one and launched just when the whole SUV fad was over and the money was starting to run out...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Has nobody mentioned the Sh1ty Rover aka City Rover yet?!

That really was the ultimate in under-engineered, over-optimistic hopeless, last ditch effort, complete and utter [EMAIL="w@nk"]w@nk[/EMAIL] peddled out by a brand that was dead in the water.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Opel_Agila_front_20071204.jpg

Opel Agila

• Advertisement

Mr.David wrote: »

That really was the ultimate in under-engineered, over-optimistic hopeless, last ditch effort, complete and utter w@nk peddled out by a brand that was dead in the water.
    Page 1 - Post number 10 ;)

Originally Posted by The Internets
    The car was designed by Ken Greenley, former head of the automotive design course at the Royal College of Art in London

Thats quite a shock.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Some of the suggestions on this thread are silly. How is the Laguna and the 407 the worst cars of the decade?

I was being realistic in proclaiming the 407 as a bad car. Most of the cars suggested above are mainly Korean tin boxes that are obviously bad and you could be forever listing. I feel the 407 deserves to be up there with them as it is not a physically small car yet is tiny inside, it is proven to be unreliable and poorly built, it drives nothing like what's gone before it and it looks ill-proportioned and a styling disaster from most angles.

The Laguna I don't see as being a bad car because, despite all of its electrical troubles, it at least looked well and was comfortable. Sure there were a good few dodgy cabin plastics and I personally have witnessed their unreliability, but they were a good overall effort from Renault as a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Mr.David wrote: »

That really was the ultimate in under-engineered, over-optimistic hopeless, last ditch effort, complete and utter [EMAIL="w@nk"]w@nk[/EMAIL] peddled out by a brand that was dead in the water.

Funny thing about the cityrover was that it had a 1405cc engine which at the time meant you were paying an extra 2.5% VRT ontop of an already crazy high price.

It has to be near the top of the list but tbh its the best Tata they sold...

Top Dog wrote: »
    You're going to suggest the Laguna purely based on depreciation? How many 100k cars have halved in value over the same time period?! :rolleyes:

no, not at all, its the whole package. Sure its decent for spec and relative comfort, but would you have bought a new one in '03?
    33k - 5k in 4 yours. Thats not halved.
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200950196151921

all the other suggestions, as I said, have barely shifted 100 units in ireland. And all the korean cars are definitely not the worst, simply because they don't pretend to be somehting they are not. They are cheap and reliable. People who buy them want a cheap reliable car, with little in the style dept.

If you were buying a 1.9d mid-size saloon today, how far up the list would the Laguna II be?

EDIT: btw, I drive a renault for the past decade.

sk8board wrote: »
    no, not at all, its the whole package. Sure its decent for spec and relative comfort, but would you have bought a new one in '03?
    33k - 5k in 4 yours. Thats not halved.

If you were buying a 1.9d mid-size saloon today, how far up the list would the Laguna II be?

EDIT: btw, I drive a renault for the past decade.
    If I knew then what I know now, and I had the money, then yes. Not the saloon/hatch though - the SportsTourer :)

Though I probably wouldn't have sold it after 4 years with the depreciation and would have just run it into the ground. ;)

I mean, what are the real alternatives to it?

Top Dog wrote: »
    If I knew then what I know now, and I had the money, then yes. Not the saloon/hatch though - the SportsTourer :)

Though I probably wouldn't have sold it after 4 years with the depreciation and would have just run it into the ground. ;)

know what you mean; thats why I still have mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kav1892

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I have a Punto and its a cracking car, I know a few people that have them and love them too. Nothing for the price they are comes close to its level of safety,room and fuel economy. Thankfully due to all the people that think that all fiats are junks they cost nothing to buy 2nd hand.

Some of the suggestions on this thread are silly. How is the Laguna and the 407 the worst cars of the decade? Considering some of the absolute crap buckets that have come out over the last decade.

Have to agree, i have a 04 fiat and i must say its a cracker.....for the spec, features, how economical it is, its gr8.....and for a 1.2 theres actually quite a move in it....
    Plus CITY MODE!! :p

A stigma has existed with fiat for a long time, but if you look after them correctly, they can be cracking investments.....after all, a *dubious* survey on top gear had fiat as most reliable make no.3!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

JHMEG wrote: »
    AudiQ7.jpg

The weight of a small car heavier than an X5, even the Americans think the Q7 is a lard-ass.

and so scary when seen in your rear view mirror driven by a five foot **** all soccer mom with her head barely over the steering wheel and babies Fionn and Siofra kicking up a storm in the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Plates365.com

Ssssssssssangyong Rodius

ssong-yang_rodius-L.jpg

Probably reliable though.

+1 and hot on it heals the fiat multipla

Advertisement