Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Worst car of the decade

Options
  • 13-12-2009 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭

As the decade is drawing to a close and after being inspired by a similar thread on Autocar's website, what do people think has been the worst car of the decade?

For me it would have to be the Peugeot 407. This car is everything that is wrong with Peugeot these days and is not a patch on its predecessor with regard to looks and driving. It is awkward to look at, unreliable, badly built, poorly packaged and is just so terrible in general that it has left Peugeot further behind the competition than it has ever been in the large family car segment.

So, what does everyone think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Have to agree with you , they thing looks like a whale or something. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭west101

the Fiat punto, havent met one person who had one say they were happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think we need to put it into some kind of context, are we talking:

cars that are just built to a standard lower than we're used to?
    Cars that are just ugly?
    Cars that have sold in huge numbers so people are sick of them?
    Cars that weren't class leaders?

Mine would be the Tata Safari, based on the awful looks, bad quality, underpowered engine and practically anything that you can measure how good a car is.
    tata-safari-2005.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Ssssssanggypong Rodius, no question.

Followed closely by:

Opel Vectra B
    Landrover Freelander Mk 1
    Kia Rio
    Hyundai Sante Fe Mk1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I know it didn't start production in this decade, but it's still prevalent and dreadful today.

Ladies and gentlemen, the Hyundai Accent.

View2?id=2223861

• Advertisement

I don't think a car being run-of-the-mill can make it the worst of the decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

No mention of a Megane or Laguna yet...oh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

nissan tido, weird ugly and crap from head to toe and bumper to bumper, wait a minute..... I'll get me coat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

The CityRover; expensive, ugly and so far behind it held up the the next race...cityrover.jpg

The Ssangyong Actyon; need I say more... Ssangyong_Actyon_Front-view.JPG

and the badge before brains BMW X3. These were going for E60,000 during the mad old days of the Celtic Tiger. Expensive, ugly, overrated and the most horrid interior this side of a Tata Safari. If you've been in one you'll know what I'm talking about...BMX30407.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

In no particular order.....

vw%20fox.jpg

prime_small.jpg

ssangyong-actyon-sports.jpg

frontera.jpg

chrysler_neon.jpg

renault10.jpg
    mercedes%20vaneo%20series.jpg:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Mine would be the Tata Safari, based on the awful looks, bad quality, underpowered engine and practically anything that you can measure how good a car is.
    tata-safari-2005.jpg

Thats the one I was thinking of. he safari is the one thats really a Frontera isnt it?

EPM wrote: »
    No mention of a Megane or Laguna yet...oh...

Cant see why they would be anywhere near the list. Silly hysterical Renault bashing aside, neither were even bottom of reliability stats for their sections (which at the end of the day is all that they are considered bad for) . For a car to be the worst it woudl have to be a lot worse than just have questionable reliability.

Stekelly wrote: »
    thats really a Frontera isnt it?

Nah thats the Landwind....

vauxhall-20frontera-20vs-20landwind.jpg

Heres a few more copyright lawyers wet dreams...

http://creativeadvertisingworld.com/bmw-7-vs-byd-f6/

Stekelly wrote: »
    Thats the one I was thinking of. he safari is the one thats really a Frontera isnt it?
    Nah, It's not related to the Frontera at all. It uses a Peugeot 1.9 diesel engine.

I think you may be referring to the Jiangling Motors Landwind SUV which shocked the world with its poor crash rating. It later transpired that the Ford F150 and the Isuzu TF were comparably bad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭sk8board

given it was a mass-market car in ireland, the Laguna II wins it for me.

So many people paid so much depreciation for so little in return.

Christ, how is a Laguna the worst car from the last 10 years? it looks decent, is very comfortable, top safety and had high levels of equipment.
    They're not that reliable but come on!

They're not that reliable but come on!

.....and they were under powered and they drove sh!te and bits used to fall off in your hand and they lost more money than an Anglo Irish bank share not to mention the reliability issues. There are many reasons to make this list but givin how poor the Lagunas reliability and build quality was I'd say its good enough or rather bad enough to make it onto this list.

I can't believe I'm defending Lagunas but:

The 1.6 was the only really slow model, and pretty similar to a 1.6 in other cars in its class.

I'm certain there is a car out there that was as unreliable as the Laguna but without all the good bits.

I'm certain there is a car out there that was as unreliable as the Laguna but without all the good bits.

Well there was always a couple below it on the reliability stakes and even the couple above would have been close, so probably a good place to start :). Thats without even widening the search to some of the stuff that has come from the US and non established Asian markets.

remember the Opel Sintra?
    OPEL-Sintra-2-2-DTi-GLS--1998-1999-.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Heres a few more copyright lawyers wet dreams...

http://creativeadvertisingworld.com/bmw-7-vs-byd-f6/

I think the Landwind is actually the Opel Frontera/Isuzu Wizard/Rodeo/whatever as opposed to a knock off. Production of the Isuzu car ended in 2004, and this appeared soon after so it is entirely possible they bought the tooling for the car off GM or Isuzu. Besides the mild facelift it looks too similar.

There's many other old cars that have found a new home in China, such as the Rover 75, Seat Toledo (1st gen), Daihatsu Charade (the '87-'94 one), Austin Montego and loads more.

I'm gonna nominate something that originates from this decade, so I'll go for the monstrosity that is the SsangYong Rodius. I will save you the displeasure of seeing it by not including a picture :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 granadaghia

how about the peugot 607. renault velsatis, that sangyong pc that looks like a pick up with 1960s caravan on the back, celtic tiger boom cars sold to people with loads of cash and no taste , or maybe they dont know any better.
    there are lots of drivers on the road today whos parents ,grandparents never had a car ,they are more than likely the drivers of these crap vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

If it's an ugly contest..

20080629_mini-clubman-main-1.jpg

Was horrified when I saw one of these things last year sometime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Redisle wrote: »
    If it's an ugly contest..

20080629_mini-clubman-main-1.jpg

Was horrified when I saw one of these things last year sometime!

Dreadful thing. Looks like a dwarf's hearse.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

The back of this thing is just a disaster!!

renault-megane.JPG

Bloody French!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

that san yong rexton thing

by far the worst car of the last 50 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Shires

The-Game wrote: »
    The back of this thing is just a disaster!!

renault-megane.JPG

Bloody French!!

Confounded by the utterly sh1te advertising that suggested it was the car's main feature and something really desirable.

Using sex to sell that? Ugh, give us a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Shires

that san yong rexton rectum thing

by far the worst car of the last 50 years.

Fixed that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

2008-porsche-cayenne.jpg

Porsche Cayenne

The one item which captured best the excess and selfishness of the decade.
    Ugly and pointless to boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

cheap-electric-cars.jpg

• Advertisement

Confab wrote: »
    Dreadful thing. Looks like a dwarf's hearse.

That's probably about as niche as a market can get. :)

Advertisement