Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamestop Staff.

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 122 ✭✭The Aviator

I regulalry go to two Gamestops on the South side of Dublin, everyone in both store is clearly a dedicated gamer or if not is at least knowledgeable and helpful. My point is that you shouldn't tar all Gamestop (or any retailer) staff with the one brush because of some bad experiences.

You either didnt bother reading the original thread by myself, or you have very bad comprehending skills.... Read my opening paragraph ..... and tell me if im sterotyping all Gamestop staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭inFamouxe

hellboy99 wrote: »
    I went in to preorder the DJ Hero Renegade edition a few weeks before release, guy didn't have a clue and said there was no such thing coming out. Another occasion I went to preorder Batman AA for the PC, was told it wasn't coming out for it. There is one guy there that knows his stuff so I just go in now when he's there.

How much is the renegade edition mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That's a rule right there, so if there is a store with consistently ignorant and unhelpful staff, it's generally down to the manager not doing their job, unless it's simply a one off which can happen to anyone, or your place of business is seen as dumping ground for poor staff by the managers own line managers, then you have little in the say of who you get posted to your place of work, and you have to make do.
    Agree 100% If the manager doesn't give a damn, then the staff will give less than a damn.
    Kind of crap for us job seeking gamers
    Me thinks in some shops, this is the problem. Some managers see the shop as a job, and want sales people selling games. Since the main target are male, having a few good looking young wans in the shop may draw some in. A clueless hot chck is better than nothing a clueless male.

On the other hand, some managers realise that gamers will be able to tell other gamers about games, and hire them. These managers are usually either gamers, or were gamers when younger, and know that people with knowledge of games are a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

0ubliette wrote: »
    Anyone seen the chick with the MASSIVE rack in gamestop henry st.?

Theyre HUGE :D

Met her and her mate in town last night, they mentioned that they'd seen this and were on a quest to find the person who wrote it! Had
    to see the post myself...

She knows her gaming, so I'd say that's why she has the job! Can't dance though...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

ah the totty i Game in blanch is far better than in game stop. That said just about every thing i Game in Blanchardstown is better than in game stop.
    They are almost always more expensive and the only punters i ever see in game stop buying things are Mammy`s with kids buying Wii games, basically people who dont know better.
    I was there the day COD MW2 was released and it was 55 yoyos and only 50 in game two doors down and saw loadsa mammys buying it as crimbo pressies. I felt like saying somthing to them but did not bother in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Conclusion drawn from this thread:

Gamestop staff vary from town to town, shop to shop and person to person, just like in all walks of life. People weren't born and raised to work in any particular establishment :rolleyes:
    It's pointless to make threads tarnishing all staff with the same brush on the basis of experience, as no two people are the same.

couldnt agree more incidentally just moved to cork what branch have ye found the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Have always found the ones in Limerick fairly sound, especially the one in the parkway and then the crescent. Gamestop is by far the most expensive though and I don't believe in brand loyalty so usually only go in there if I am getting a new release as they are pretty much the same price everywhere. Trade my games in and buy preowned where ever is the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

Don't think I ever came out of GameStop satisfied... In my experience they usually hire women just because they're women. Don't get me wrong, I've been to plenty of gaming shops that have women who know their stuff and know a fair few women who game. But my experience in GameStop is they hire them just to have them there regardless of their suitability. And any of the men/boys who work there have been unhelpful/clueless or just plain uninterested. Returning anything to them is always a pain in the hole as well, any other shop Game/HMV etc have never given me trouble.

The last time I shopped with them due to all my bad experiences with them was back in the PS2 era, got a scratched to bits GTA vice city for a relative, crashed during the first tutorial mission. Went back to them with it and the manager himself was there, would not take my word that it was broken so he checked it on the screen behind the counter and when it crashed at said bit, he got all in a huff and insisted he didn't have to give me a refund (while giving me a refund) So I should count myself lucky. I just said he could count himself lucky if I ever walked into a GameStop again and haven't been back since.

All of their stuff that's not brand new titles (Not competing with other stores at launch) is generally at least €5 more expensive than the likes of HMV or GAME. And something that always annoyed me is that they never sell new games sealed, they're always taken out of sleeves in a drawer with marks and fingerprints all over them.

/End Rant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

nerd69 wrote: »
    couldnt agree more incidentally just moved to cork what branch have ye found the best?

I have no association with them other than being a customer but I find the Ballincollig Gamestop staff to be friendly, knowledgeable and decent to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I've no affiliation with any of the stores either but seeing this thread has been resurrected for purposes of a rant against them I have to say I've never had anything but good interactions with Gamestop staff.

You get bad customer service in all areas from time to time and the best solution is to vote with your feet/wallet. Complaining about all employees of a certain retailer isn't really fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    I have no association with them other than being a customer but I find the Ballincollig Gamestop staff to be friendly, knowledgeable and decent to deal with.

ballincollig it is thank you very much mr bloat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

Any of the staff I've dealt wih in my local gamestop (clonmel) seem to really know their stuff and are helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Batmantastic

I can see each side's points here, both good and bad. I've had three experiences stand out for me, each in different branches of GameStop.

In the branch on Henry St. I went in to buy Red Dead Redemption about a week after its release, and the pretty girl behind the counter asked if I wanted to buy disc insurance. When I said no, she went for the hard sell, saying, "Well laser burn is a huge factor with Xbox 360." I declined again, and she tried to drive it home again about the laser burn. I felt like slapping her, saying that the only time you'll see laser burn is if you knock the 360 over, or you've got a shoddy disc drive in a particularly older model. I didn't do this, instead I threw her a massive fake smile, saying "No thanks." She shut up at that point.

In October last year, I went into the Omni branch in Santry to buy one of the new models of 360, on the release date of Fifa 11 at the time. Upon leaving the store, I remembered that I had my old hard drive with me, so I went back up to the girl who had sold me the package deal, and asked if there was any chance that she could transfer my stuff over to the new console for me. She obliged, although they were busy, she said that she could do it, but it might take up to an hour. I said that this was fine, at which point the manager of the store chipped in, quite ignorantly, saying that they were "too busy" and that I would "have to come back another day". There were a total of 6 people waiting to buy Fifa, and two tills which he and the girl were attending, and a guy floating about doing nothing by the looks of things. The manager in the Omni store was extremely rude and I was compelled to contact head office and lodge a complaint against him. Never before had I actually been angered to the point of wanting to hit someone so much. Not only had I just spent over €300, but I was getting this absolute idiot who was just outright refusing to help a paying customer at all.

The other instance that I felt quite peeved about was quite recently. I went into the Mullingar branch and wanted to upgrade my standard edition of Batman: Arkham City to the collector's edition. This was two weeks after it had been announced, and I had friends working in other GameStop branches who knew for a fact that it was coming in. The guy behind the counter was friendly enough, but it wasn't in the system. His colleague pitched in, saying that they "usually don't know about these things until a couple of weeks before release". Now, again I nearly felt like grabbing the guy and punching him into next week, but I composed myself, waited for my friends to let me know that it was in the system, and I went back and dealt with a far more pleasurable employee.

Having said that, the majority of their staff I have found to be quite helpful, however in the Liffey Valley branch of Game, the staff appear to be more approachable and often go out of their way to help you without sounding arrogant. You're always going to remember the negative moments you have, but no matter where you shop, you will get these and it's certainly not going to deter me from shopping there in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Batmantastic

And something that always annoyed me is that they never sell new games sealed, they're always taken out of sleeves in a drawer with marks and fingerprints all over them.

If you haven't been to a Gamestop in so long, how can you honestly post this, while shopping in Game and HMV? HMV ALWAYS have their games in a drawer and sell them with the case that you took from the shelf. Anytime I've bought new games from Gamestop they've been sealed, in their proper cases and I've had no problems with that. Granted, you had a bad experience with a refund, but you have to realise that just because one branch has an ignorant manager (see my post above about Omni) this doesn't mean that they're all like this. But the above post, while it may have been true at the time, holds no merit today when HMV do exactly this.

/End response :)

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

If you haven't been to a Gamestop in so long, how can you honestly post this, while shopping in Game and HMV? HMV ALWAYS have their games in a drawer and sell them with the case that you took from the shelf. Anytime I've bought new games from Gamestop they've been sealed, in their proper cases and I've had no problems with that. Granted, you had a bad experience with a refund, but you have to realise that just because one branch has an ignorant manager (see my post above about Omni) this doesn't mean that they're all like this. But the above post, while it may have been true at the time, holds no merit today when HMV do exactly this.

/End response :)

Yes I can say it still happens today, as I have friends who still shop in branches of GameStop. If it's not on day 1 I've never seen them get sealed games. I even asked one time while in store with a friend when he got an unsealed game and they just said it's so all their stock is on display, which is fair enough but other retailers clearly manage.

I have never gotten a game in GAME that was unsealed in any branch I've been to, and only once did a game I bought in HMV not come sealed, but I checked the disc before buying anyway. Most times I get games in HMV they're sealed on shelf, granted the new releases usually aren't but my pricing comment covers why I'd still prefer HMV anyway.

You've made the assumption I'm branding every chain and every staff member the same. I've described my experiences with the branches I've visited. I've chosen not to buy from them anymore because if the powers that be at GameStop allow this to go on at all, I don't see them as worthy of my money.

My rant was no more critical than your own, and I never had the urge to cause their staff physical harm either...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

The only thing this thread has done is made me want to go to GameStop on Henry st and check something out.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Nagin

The one in Wilton in cork is really good. The manager with the beard is sound

He let me use my "pre order" trade in credit on battlefield when it was already out. Saved me 7-8 bucks.

I just wished they stopped on aout the "insurance" for laser burn. Get over it like, its bullsh1t.

If you plan to play a game that long where it could even happen you can just copy it to the harddrive (well on xbox anyway)

Your console is more likely to go before the game in my opinion.

Anyway, good prices and sound staff in the Wilton one anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Duffman K

:pac:It's strange, near where I live there's a GAME and Gamestop right beside each other. The people in Gamestop actually know their stuff and are always sound. There are gamers working their. However in GAME its always overstaffed with people standing around that couldnt care less about gaming and have very little knowledge about it. When I was younger they always gave people hassle about asking for ID for and 18's or even a 16's game which was pretty annoying and hassle you didnt get with Gamestop or HMV and would ignore everyone but the parents coming in to buy consoles for their kids for christmas who were wiling to payout alot of money for whatever they suggested.:pac:

Advertisement