Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamestop Staff.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

i have to say gamestop staff have always been helpful towards me especially naas and newbridge stores!

can i ask why all the ranting? nobody asks us to enter any shops we dont like the staff etc?

aviator you have failed to mention the free ea title you got from them due to my pointing it out to you! you cant have had all negative experiences there?

i know staff in some stores can lack gaming knowledge through being younger but as someone already said here pay peanuts then get monkeys lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 122 ✭✭The Aviator

i have to say gamestop staff have always been helpful towards me especially naas and newbridge stores!

can i ask why all the ranting? nobody asks us to enter any shops we dont like the staff etc?

aviator you have failed to mention the free ea title you got from them due to my pointing it out to you! you cant have had all negative experiences there?

i know staff in some stores can lack gaming knowledge through being younger but as someone already said here pay peanuts then get monkeys lol

Oh Ray i knew you would come along with an input for this thread ! This thread is about my experience of the majority of Gamestop staff not being professional enough... and it has been clearly proven by the following experience the customers have had!.

It is an argumentative publication everyone is entitled to their opinion.

And about the EA title Ray, I was entitled to that game just as you were! I went through 2 weeks of trouble with Gamestop including, being refused it by fat emos when i returned to the shop in Stephens Green. And constant phone calls to the head office looking for details such as my receipt and your receipt which i highly appreciate you sending me by the way ! But however when i rang the more professional staff in the Head office, the HRM department sorted my problem out , and i deserved that game for all the trouble they have given me anyway! I sent the very helpfull assistant a thank you card anyway for her troubles , But if the Highly idiotic low level of staff working in the stores hadn't of caused the problem in the first place, that would mean less work for the professional staff working in Head office!

Also i recently discovered that Gamestop once, did not stock new chart games , they would let the market trade them in for really unfair prices such as 20 - 30 euro after about a week and then sell the games as new ones for full prices such as 45-55 euro!, which is scamming! this is the truth and they did do it! Go to the following site for all of Gamestops Criticism from other customers http://gamestopsucks.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

most shops around here are ok, except mallow, lad in there told me that there was no such thing as a wireless steering wheel for xbox, dispite a picture of one behind him, also all the staff seem to be heavily pierced people ( not that there is anything wrong with that )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

"all the staff seem to be heavily pierced people"

pierce-brosnan-picture-3.jpg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

"all the staff seem to be heavily pierced people"

pierce-brosnan-picture-3.jpg?

what :confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

Thread needed more Pierce.

Obviously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

Gamestop recruitment teams need to really consider hiring more proficient workers!

If you have been in any situations like the above please share !
    Nah, I'm a PS3 owner :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I've never had a problem with Gamestop staff regarding customer service or manners, and they're generally a bit of craic. But yes, they do tend to lack product knowledge they could reasonably be expected to have.

I've never had a problem with Gamestop staff regarding customer service or manners, and they're generally a bit of craic. But yes, they do tend to lack product knowledge they could reasonably be expected to have.

I'd agree with this myself. Kind of crap for us job seeking gamers, but yeah, never had anyone not be nice there. Was in Blanch looking for a game, they didn't have it in stock so the girl there rang up Dun Laoghaire to reserve it for me even though the place was really busy and she could have just said it's out of stock and not checked at all. And when I said 'Valkyria Chronicles' she didn't ask again, or ask me to spell it or anything, so I'm guessing she at least knew the stock, if not the game itself. Actually the Blanch branch is pretty good in terms of nice staff.

Do miss the old Gamesworld though, on Liffey st. Great place that was. Staff there always knew what was good and what wasn't, and I do aoccasionally ask if the staff member I'm dealing with has played the game, so it's a plus if they can say if it's any good or not.

Oh Ray i knew you would come along with an input for this thread ! This thread is about my experience of the majority of Gamestop staff not being professional enough... and it has been clearly proven by the following experience the customers have had!.

It is an argumentative publication everyone is entitled to their opinion.

And about the EA title Ray, I was entitled to that game just as you were! I went through 2 weeks of trouble with Gamestop including, being refused it by fat emos when i returned to the shop in Stephens Green. And constant phone calls to the head office looking for details such as my receipt and your receipt which i highly appreciate you sending me by the way ! But however when i rang the more professional staff in the Head office, the HRM department sorted my problem out , and i deserved that game for all the trouble they have given me anyway! I sent the very helpfull assistant a thank you card anyway for her troubles , But if the Highly idiotic low level of staff working in the stores hadn't of caused the problem in the first place, that would mean less work for the professional staff working in Head office!

Also i recently discovered that Gamestop once, did not stock new chart games , they would let the market trade them in for really unfair prices such as 20 - 30 euro after about a week and then sell the games as new ones for full prices such as 45-55 euro!, which is scamming! this is the truth and they did do it! Go to the following site for all of Gamestops Criticism from other customers http://gamestopsucks.blogspot.com/
    the aviator the first sentence in your reply here says it all in my opinion - i helped you out and your rude to me? ill remember that the next time you want help from a fellow boards user!

why dont you shop elsewhere with all your negative experience? your money should be priority to them remember that they depend on us to keep them going!

best of luck

• Advertisement

the aviator the first sentence in your reply here says it all in my opinion - i helped you out and your rude to me? ill remember that the next time you want help from a fellow boards user!

why dont you shop elsewhere with all your negative experience? your money should be priority to them remember that they depend on us to keep them going!

best of luck

how on earth was i in one way rude to you in that previous post, did you not notice my gratitude during the middle of the post?

how on earth was i in one way rude to you in that previous post, did you not notice my gratitude during the middle of the post?
    sorry read that really wrong lol! but i understand where your coming from i have had bad experience in game shops in particular but also gamestop dun laoighaire were really like there ya go now get out kinda attitude they really have no communicative skills IMO but maybe im wrong!

sorry again aviator read that wrong there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭captainscarlet

I would totally agree about hot girls getting jobs just for looks. The HMV and Gamestop i go to are full of hot alt girls working for the Christmas. And they know f*** all about the stuff they're selling.

But as we all know, sex sells, and the managers are just looking for staff who will sell the most.

Still, a bit of professionalism and knowledge isnt asking too much. But since theres no training provided temps only have a month to learn everything there is to know about every platform and game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Yeah, to be fair, the standard of training can be shocking. More often than not, temp training consists of "Here's your t shirt. That's your first customer. See you in January."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Id agree with that too. Havent have had any problems with my local Gamestop staff but one hadnt a clue about the PS3 Play TV when I asked him were they selling it yet. Argos across the mall got the sale instead.

In fact because Id say I have done pretty ok when asking for extra beta/DLC code freebies as Im a regular in there and some of the lads would know me.

Also applied for a job there last year and was denied. Probably too old/experienced for them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

It's GAME workers you have to be wary about! Saw a grown man of about 30 working in there one day almost reducing a ten year old kid to tears because he asked for a copy of halo 3. Pathetic. By and large the gamestop staff I have ever dealt with have been very polite and helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

A ten year old shouldn't be buying a copy of an 18 rated game. Out of curiosity, how did yer man nearly reduce him to tears?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

fitz0 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how did yer man nearly reduce him to tears?

By telling him to come back in 8 years time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

docentore wrote: »

well he was right so and would have done the same thing, but I game the worst I buy a lot of pre-owned games there and stuff last time I was there I picked up a few psp games the staff could not find two of the games I was looking for and just said oh thats not there pick out something else, ah no I dont think so if I wanted something else I would have picked that one out in the first place not even a sorry about that but we dont seem to have that one is there anything else there you would be interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

This thread is about my experience of the majority of Gamestop staff not being professional enough... and it has been clearly proven by the following experience the customers have had!.

Nothing has been clearly proven. This is an online forum which caters for knowledgeable gamers who are inevitably going to be disappointed or feel left down by the performance or dedication of part-time sales personnel more often than your average customer. When we take human nature into account we see that forums are incredibly unreliable to accurately gauge the overall shopping experience of a store because we expect a certain level of performance/satisfaction from an experience and don't feel compelled to write about it or tell anybody else about it when it goes to plan. However, if we have a negative experience we feel the need to rant and rave. That's why we don't see threads saying "I went into Gamestop to buy a game today. They had it. I bought it. Good job GameStop".

All that you "proved" was that a minority of people have had a negative experience when dealing with a minority of staff which is the same in any business, in any sector.

I've also seen a few people here complain about not getting a job there (or in similar stores). You have to remember that they're hiring a salesperson, not an obsessed gamer. A lot of customers just want to see a smiling face and get some advice that they perceive to be helpful. They don't want to be lectured on game choices or feel intimidated by jargon. Of course there are sales techniques which rely on you bamboozling the customer with technical terms but they require a lot of charm and experience to work and honestly wouldn't be expected from a part-time salesperson.

My own experience of GameStop staff has been very positive. I really can't fault the Waterford staff. They seem to eat, sleep and drink games and movies and clearly know their stuff but they're also all very personable. That goes for the "eye-candy" too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

AdMMM wrote: »

All that you "proved" was that a minority of people have had a negative experience when dealing with a minority of staff

....in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

Op take your original post and copy it to a word document, print and send to gamestop hq. Might get a free voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Op take your original post and copy it to a word document, print and send to gamestop hq. Might get a free voucher.

Good idea..... maybe I'll do that :p

AdMMM wrote: »
    I've also seen a few people here complain about not getting a job there (or in similar stores). You have to remember that they're hiring a salesperson, not an obsessed gamer. A lot of customers just want to see a smiling face and get some advice that they perceive to be helpful. They don't want to be lectured on game choices or feel intimidated by jargon. Of course there are sales techniques which rely on you bamboozling the customer with technical terms but they require a lot of charm and experience to work and honestly wouldn't be expected from a part-time salesperson.

Thats a fair point, but they could give the gamers an interview as well and see if they can be a smiling face AND have some serious knowledge. There's no reason someone can't know what they're selling well and not be intimidating or spout jargon.

But that is a fair point I will agree, and I can see why a shop would just want to hire someone they think will be inviting (or good looking so us nerds all go in for a gawp!)

I'm so cool... :cool:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

The staff in Dundalk are grand by my experience. Seem to know their stuff and are fairly geeky to the point where they know what's what. Never had any problems with them and find in general they are lot more educated compared to their competitors like Xtra-Vision, HMV, Smiths etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Ive never had a problem i dont use them too often as they are way too expensive. But the 2 times they ran a 30 euro trade in offer i availed of it to get a new slim and elite.

I dont blame the staff for not knowing about every obscure edition of every half arsed game (DJ hero being about the 15th game in the ruined "Hero" franchise in about 2 or 3 years) Think about it this way would you go home from work and start reading up on the latest work related trends ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Fairly regular customer in the Ennis branch and the guys in there know their stuff, chat away with them about new releases etc, fairly obvious that they all play the games themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Six years actually. It's not 18's it's rated 16+

It wasn't even the fact that he wouldn't sell him the game he was just telling the kid he was stupid for wanting to play it because it's "such a **** game." And I don't mean h was giving impartial advice to the kid he was actually on the verge of mocking him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

My own experience of GameStop staff has been very positive. I really can't fault the Waterford staff. They seem to eat, sleep and drink games and movies and clearly know their stuff but they're also all very personable. That goes for the "eye-candy" too!

I 2nd this, I had a problem with the midnight launch of MW2, I reserved it for ps3 and i went in and was mistakingly given the xbox 360 version on the night, didnt know that until i checked before going home, so went back and the guys were very apologetic and was able to get a ps3 version for me in the shop upstairs

Shin

• Advertisement

I think i might let them figure that out themselves, as i dont see any reason why i want to see a company such as Gamestop improve..

I also think is a stupid idea that the store manager has the ability to recruit new staff,thats completely unprofessional! Xtravision recruitment process go's through its head office in which people with HRM degrees will select the right candidate.

It enrages me when i saw in previous posts that teenage girls with absolute no interest in the industry are employed first over motivated and knowledgeable gamers who will actually thrive the retailers forward in sales depending on their human relation skills.

Ive already had enough problems with Gamestop Headquarters looking for a free 'EA title' is was entitled to with a bundle deal. Which i received in the end.

Advertisement