Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamestop Staff.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭danois

Well I am a mother who has no idea at all about games what to buy whats the latest must have ect. I went to gamestop in bray and the staff where brilliant they spent time with me going through what would be best for the kids for their ages and stuff. they were really patient knew what they where talking about and didnt mind spending a few extra minutes with me.

The only problem i have with them is the amount of times they cant find a game it cant be that hard to have a decent filing system in place they are at it long enough.

Oh an one other thing and i know its not a big deal but it drives me mad the amount of times i have boughta game for 9.99 or 29.99 whatever price and they say im very sorry have not 1cents left. They must make a decent amount that way cause it happens alot and all those 1cents add up!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Bought a PS3 in Wilton and they staff were sound. Couldn't fault them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

danois wrote: »
    Oh an one other thing and i know its not a big deal but it drives me mad the amount of times i have boughta game for 9.99 or 29.99 whatever price and they say im very sorry have not 1cents left. They must make a decent amount that way cause it happens alot and all those 1cents add up!!!!

Xtravision do that too, but to be fair, no one gives 1c coins in a shop like that, since they just pay in fairly handy amounts of cash (10, 20, 25) and rarely will someone go fishing in their pocket/bag for that kind of change when youo;re paying that much. Plus not many grannies go to game shops with their coin purse!

A friend of mine worked in xtravision and they were constantly out of change, to the point where when I was counting up a box of change I'd collected and wishing the bank would just buy a sorting machine and stop being so reluctant to take legal tender just because it's change (that's a wholly different debate!) he suggested I count it and use it in xtravision because they always need change.

Also if you needed advice for buying a console you should have asked on here, that way in amongst 10/20 pages of people going off on tangents about that time they bought NHL 96 in hmv back in the day and arguing over the ps3 and xboxes strengths, you would have got some good advice!

(Actually probably not. I miss NHL 96. Remember the HMV dog?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Don't use Gamestop unless they are selling something cheaper than Smyths, HMV, Xtravision (which happens rarely!)

About the staf..some of them are good, some of the aren't. There are enough knowledgable people applying for jobs, so theres no excuse for some of the stories here.

My main gripe with them would be prices (Seem to be at least €5-10 more on new games). Far Cry Instincts being sold for €40 in Q4 2009. Robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭hazeler

I am NOT a gamer, I am infact a gamer widow. I know the differences in consoles, I know gaming stuff that I dont want to know but living with a gamer and having an "up and comer gamer" daughter means that alot of "jargon" is spoken at our dinner table. Some I listen too, you need it for presents, other stuff goes straight over my head. The OH this year casually mentioned a gaming related item (cant say what it is, he posts here!) that he'd like to own but times are tough and it not a necessity so I thought BINGO! christmas present sorted. Now I know how to research a product online (thank you boards gaming community) and I know how to go into games stores and ask for what I need without looking like a bumbling fool. (Every good gamer widow knows how to talk the gaming talk!) Turns out I could get what I needed in Gamestop. Great!

I went in to get it and asked confidently for what I needed, armed with my researched jargon incase a conversation insued, the lad brought it out to me and I started to look at the box, and I said "this is it." Because it was. The lad replied, leaning out over the counter to touch the box, with " are you sure this is the one he asked for?" Why would he automatically assume it was not for me?? I could be a gamer? I said " who asked me?" He told me the price.

Now I can understand being asked that if I was babbling and not knowing if it was for the PS3 or the 360 but I was, quiet clearly, not one of those girls. I have no problems with asking for advice when I need it and usually the staff are good in that respect but the condesending attitude of this guy left me very annoyed.

While he was ringing it up (sure I had to get it, no place else had it) I mentioned that the special edition (insert game title here- Chritmas present remember!!) is going on ebay for crazy money so the bog standard edition will have to do ME for now. He said "oh really, I didn't know there was a special edition..." Hehe!!! :D

The lad is not a Christmas temp, he's there the whole time. Generally speaking my dealings with gamestop in the past have been good but that kind of attitude is poor and unwelcome.

Just some of my thoughts to even out the reponse...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭event

danois wrote: »

ask them for a 2c coin instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

event wrote: »
    ask them for a 2c coin instead

or on the way back drive in to Esso garage. I saw they have those boxes with spare cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

I have to say, in the charlestown game stop they are really sound, know there games too, have chats sometimes with the one behind the counter about games coming out etc :D
    True what danois said, they never have 1c coins haha
    Can take them a few minutes when trying to find a game but other than that i think there fairly friendly, and know there stuff.
    Dont know about the other game stops because the only one i go to is the charlestown one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Can't say I've had a problem - bought a lot of stuff in both GS in Dun Laoghaire & Portlaoise in the last few weeks and the staff were polite and professional.

Guy in DL I had a good chat with about xbox games cos I was playing catch up - I was gonna buy brand new copies and he said the second hand ones would be cheaper - result :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

kaimera wrote: »
    I was gonna buy brand new copies and he said the second hand ones would be cheaper - result :)

Of course it would be cheaper. Way more profit for them too as it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Last year I was attempting to purchase a Madcatz Street Fighter Standard Edition Arcade Stick (which were very rare at the time)...

So I hear they have some, so I run into town and they're sold out. Damn I say. But the guy behind the counter told me they'd get some more next week. So I ring on the day they get them in and ask

- "Do you have any Madcatz Street Fighter Standard Edition Arcade Sticks left? I was told you'd be getting more in today"

- "Hmm...they are arcade sticks for Street Fighter?"

- "Yes, but specifically Madcatz Street Fighter Standard Edition Arcade Stick for Xbox360"

- "Yes, we have two left actually! I can hold one for you if you want?"

- "That's fantastic! I'll get into town as soon as I can!"

So I run into town, got into Gamestop, told the guy at the counter my name and I had reserved a Madcatz Street Fighter Standard Edition Arcade Stick for the 360. "Ah yes he says! One second". He later emerges and hands me a Hori stick for the 360...

- "This isn't what I asked for, this is a Hori stick. I asked for a Madcatz Street Fighter Standard Edition Arcade Stick"

- "But this is a arcade stick for Street Fighter isn't it?"

- "Yes, but not the type I asked for"

- "Oh, what was the type you wanted?"

- ".....a Madcatz Street Fighter Standard Edition Arcade Stick"

- "Oh.....we don't have any of those..."

The reason I typed the full name of the stick each time was because I had said the full name each time so this situation wouldn't happen.

*sigh*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

To be honest it's not really the staffs fault. They aren't hired for their knowledge, they are hired to shift stock. If anyone is at fault it's Gamestop. Just be glad they aren't like the american staff. If you want to buy a game you have to go through the process of asking if you want the game second hand if they have it (bigger profits for the store on second hand games), then if you want a discount card, then if you want to subscribe to game informer and finally 'oh by the way XXXX is out soon would you like to preorder'. The staff there get extra commisions on the amount of second hand games, loyalty cards, subscriptions and preorders they can make. They do however usually have a person on the floor that would know their **** and go around chatting to customers which is a good idea.
    Guy in DL I had a good chat with about xbox games cos I was playing catch up - I was gonna buy brand new copies and he said the second hand ones would be cheaper - result

You got played. The staffer is going to get extra brownie points for shifting second hand games for higher profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

Must say that I find the staff Charlestown and Athlone knowledgeable and friendly.

There is a blonde girl in Athlone that really knows her stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Jim wrote: »
    Last year I was attempting to purchase a Madcatz Street Fighter Standard Edition Arcade Stick (which were very rare at the time)...

I had a somewhat similar problem with them, the problem being that the staffers I talked to on Henry Street didn't even know what it was! They tried selling me a normal pad instead.

Conclusion drawn from this thread:

Gamestop staff vary from town to town, shop to shop and person to person, just like in all walks of life. People weren't born and raised to work in any particular establishment :rolleyes:
    It's pointless to make threads tarnishing all staff with the same brush on the basis of experience, as no two people are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Gamestop staff vary from town to town, shop to shop and person to person, just like in all walks of life. People weren't born and raised to work in any particular establishment :rolleyes:

No one will argue that. However, people are hired and trained to work in any particular establishment, and this thread helps you conclude that the staff they hire on several occasions are not the right staff for the job. You can also conclude that yes, each shop experience varies. But that shouldn't happen. A good experience in a store should be universal for the chain... hence the reason for having a chain under the same name.
    It's pointless to make threads tarnishing all staff with the same brush on the basis of experience, as no two people are the same.

No one's tarnishing the staff per se. Bad staff are bad staff, but they all work for the same company, and people have a legitimate case against the company if they routinely receive bad treatment in their stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

You got played. The staffer is going to get extra brownie points for shifting second hand games for higher profit.

He didn't really get played. It still worked out cheaper for him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

AdMMM wrote: »
    He didn't really get played. It still worked out cheaper for him!

I'd much rather give the money to the developers than the shop especially since the price isn't always that cheap in comparison. (I'm looking at you HMV - Assassins Creed New -€45 Used -€43)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Not Gamestop but Smiths, Rockband 2 last christmas. I asked if they had it I think it had been released a week or two but first person had no idea, they got the expert who told me I needed to buy RB1 and RB2 was download only along with RB1 :rolleyes: .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I guess sometimes the problem is having drones trail you around the shop asking "Are you alright there?" as you peruse the preowned 360 shelf, then try to sell you something else.

Happened when I was buying Ace Combat 6 for my 360, the guy said, completely contrary to every review, "Oh you're buying that? you should buy HAWX, it's so much better", and so on, despite HAWX costing 40 quid more at the time.

What did he think? That my Nintendo t-shirt marked me out as some sort of gaming noob?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Sorry for getting in on this thread so late. I find all of the gamestop staff that I have delt with to be friendly, easy going and have great product knowledge. I think its a job were if you have any sort of interest in gaming in any way shape or form you will do well in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    What did he think? That my Nintendo t-shirt marked me out as some sort of gaming noob?

Lawl, oh CiDeR :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    To be honest it's not really the staffs fault. They aren't hired for their knowledge, they are hired to shift stock. If anyone is at fault it's Gamestop. Just be glad they aren't like the american staff. If you want to buy a game you have to go through the process of asking if you want the game second hand if they have it (bigger profits for the store on second hand games), then if you want a discount card, then if you want to subscribe to game informer and finally 'oh by the way XXXX is out soon would you like to preorder'. The staff there get extra commisions on the amount of second hand games, loyalty cards, subscriptions and preorders they can make. They do however usually have a person on the floor that would know their **** and go around chatting to customers which is a good idea.

I worked in Gamestop CA, we didn't get commission. NOBODY gets commission from Gamestop, absolutely NOBODY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I regulalry go to two Gamestops on the South side of Dublin, everyone in both store is clearly a dedicated gamer or if not is at least knowledgeable and helpful. My point is that you shouldn't tar all Gamestop (or any retailer) staff with the one brush because of some bad experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Nedved85 wrote: »
    I would say that 50% of their floor staff at the moment are temporary staff for the christmas season and really wouldnt know much beyond the call of dutys' , Forzas and uncharteds which parents come in and look for..

Which are ironically the last played games in your gamertag / playstation thingy hehe. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

find in general they are lot more educated compared to their competitors like Smiths etc.
    That's true, mate of mine went into smyths a few weeks ago looking for an AV cable for his newly purchased PSP and was told by two members of staff that there was no such thing available and that you couldn't connect a PSP to a TV and could only connect it to a PS3 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭event

Retr0gamer wrote: »

how did he get played?

he got a game cheaper than full price by getting it 2nd hand

its not like the customers care if the sales people get more commission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Anyone seen the chick with the MASSIVE rack in gamestop henry st.?

Theyre HUGE :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

0ubliette wrote: »
    Anyone seen the chick with the MASSIVE rack in gamestop henry st.?

Theyre HUGE :D

Gee... I wonder why management hire girls with no knowledge, but other 'assets', as opposed to guys or girls who just have a love of gaming...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

Went in to the Wilton game-stop recently looking for a looking for a 5V power cable for an after market sensor for the wii. I asked the guy behind the counter if he had one. He asked me to describe the sensor. When I finished, he went to a rubbish bin behind the counter, and after 5 minutes rummaging he pulled out a white cable.

"That should do the trick, no charge" (and it did). Now that's customer service.:)

Advertisement