Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Porsche 911

Options
  • 12-12-2009 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭

I was in Celbridge yesterday and I spotted a brand new silver 911 and it made me think.

Is this the type of car you wanna be driving in a recession.

Do you want/need to advertise the fact that you can blow 170k in this day and age on a fcuking car.

How do you lot feel about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If someone has the money and wants the car then I don't see the problem, TBH. It's not as if they're telling you what you can and cannot spend your money on.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

rohatch wrote: »
    I was in Celbridge yesterday and I spotted a brand new silver 911 and it made me think.

Do you want/need to advertise the fact that you can blow 170k in this day and age on a fcuking car.

I'd say fair play to them! We all can be set in this recessionary mindset. My spending has actually increased dramatically in the in the last 18 months, so best way to beat the recession is to ignore it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Dave.

Some people ain't hit by the recession, fair play to them if they can afford a brand new 911. If they didn't buy new 911's there would be a shortage of used ones in the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭syberspud

While it's a "problem" I'd love to have, I kinda see where the OP is coming from. I think I would drive something nice but understated (like an RS4) if I was loaded. Ireland is way too small to enjoy a supercar imho. Personally, I'd be a bit embarrassed turning heads with a 200k car in Dublin. Now Europe or the States is a different story! :P

Actually, on further consideration, I wouldn't live in Ireland at all if I was rich. Too many begrudgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

typical begrudging.... sure isn't it the Irish way!

why should the person have to hide their money...if he/she has done well in life he/she reserves the right to enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

TBH the fact that you started this thread and the language you used suggests to me you're just a typcial irish begrudger

Who gives a rats arse whether we're in recession. If someone wants to drive a 09 porsche fair play to them - what business is it of yours :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Advertising the fact that you can afford a certain car is far less frivolous than driving around in something that you actually can't afford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭NLane

come on, it's just someone driving a nice car! why do you seem to think they're trying to show everyone what they can afford?? this post is so incredibly begrudging.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,989 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Lauder wrote: »
    I'd say fair play to them! We all can be set in this recessionary mindset.

+1

It's the people that don't need to slow down their spending (but do) that make recessions as bad as they are. Fair play to your man in his brand new Porsche!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

If nobody spends money, we'll never get out of the recession - God bless that big-spender, they paid tens of thousands of Euro in VRT and Vat into the tax system and gave some Porsche salesman the commission to buy his kids a Christmas tree.

Meh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭rohatch

No, its nothing to do with being able to afford it or begrudgery.

I would like to buy a new 5 series in march, or the 530d GT but I am concerned about the fact that next year with 20% unemployment, dole cut more, more professional people will be out of work, the poor and the crims will be on the lookout for easy targets.

....the poor and the crims will be on the lookout for easy targets.

this is not what you said in your original post, how were we to understand that this is what you meant?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I assume a new 911 would be comprehensively insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

I would like to buy a new 5 series in march, or the 530d GT but I am concerned about the fact that next year with 20% unemployment, dole cut more, more professional people will be out of work, the poor and the crims will be on the lookout for easy targets.

Well hopefully the government will get tougher on crime then, particuarly petty crime. Id love to see the day where people get properly punished for keying cars and vandalism.

In fairness, I thought the same when I bought my c-class in October,, i was worried about the car being attacked by begrudgers etc..., but we cant let the fear of these scumbags defeat us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

-Chris- wrote: »
    If nobody spends money, we'll never get out of the recession

Exactly! The more new 911's we see around the place the quicker our finances are in orde!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

peasant wrote: »
    Advertising the fact that you can afford a certain car is far less frivolous than driving around in something that you actually can't afford

Just 'cos your driving a new Porche doesn't mean yoy can afford it! Some of the muppets who bought a new Porche within the last few years couldn't afford them and had them repo'd or else managed to flog them off. Personally I dan't understand the need to use a vehicle to define who you are and this is what people who buy Porche's, buy them for, to make a statement about themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Some of the muppets who bought a new Porche within the last few years couldn't afford them and had them repo'd or else managed to flog them off.

Don't forget the people who bought VWs/Audi's/BMW who could not afford them either......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Just 'cos your driving a new Porche doesn't mean yoy can afford it! Some of the muppets who bought a new Porche within the last few years couldn't afford them and had them repo'd or else managed to flog them off. Personally I dan't understand the need to use a vehicle to define who you are and this is what people who buy Porche's, buy them for, to make a statement about themselves.

Bit of a sweeping generalisation there. Perhaps they just want a nice car?? Perhaps they like Porsche's?? Perhaps they want to make a statement about themselves?? Who knows?? Who cares??

what are you basing that on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Don't forget the people who bought VWs/Audi's/BMW who could not afford them either......

Yeah but I recall a few MD's going out and buying a Porche, I'd be of the view that this is reckless if you have a business. Whataver about someone spending 22K on a VW Golf and losing a job and then the car, like that could happen anyone, but to spend over 100K on a set of wheels I think is just irresponsible. Sure even the Porche dealer in Ireland now has gone under!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Road tax, VRT and VAT could all be multiplied by 2 and a compulsary 10% donation to charity could be introduced as a "fancy car tax" and you'd still have begrdugers like the op sayin look at yer man there..

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ikillcopiers

I say fair play to the guy for his 2009 911!

Life is too short to be holding back on this stuff all the time,
    you could be die next week for all you know.

If the guy afford a new 911 my hat goes off to him,
    he obviously wanted one and went out and got it.

A lot of people only think they're into "fast" cars, but the
    guys who go out and buy them put their money where their
    mouth is that really are.

Get down off your high horse, given the year 2009 was he most
    likely didn't get much credit and thought long and hard before
    buying it.

Kudos to the man!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Id have one if I had that kinda spare cash.
    An expensive car will really show that you are well off nowadays and that would spur some people on more than in the good times. In the good times, many many people could have one of those if they really wanted one but now, finance isnt flowing for 200k cars so its genuinely well off people that will have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 PatHawkins

Not my money and not my business.

We are not ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

he wants one and can afford it so why shouldnt he get one? would you feel better if he didnt buy it?? the car was paid for with HIS money that HE earned. why does it bother you so much? jealous, begrudging people like you really do my head in.

I feel you should think before you post in the future so you dont come across as a jealous idiot again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,767 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i say fair play to the guy,

ill have one as soon as i can afford a decent one,

i was walking back to my car in town last weekend and i saw a fella little older than me in a 997 911 stuck in traffic trying to get round the green, i was admiring the car and couldnt help smiling as i looked at it, he saw me looking and i gave him a thumbs up, he looked genuinely chuffed,

fair play to him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 64,989 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Cyrus wrote: »
    i gave him a thumbs up, he looked genuinely chuffed,

fair play to him :D

And fair play to you!

tdc wrote: »
    I feel you should think before you post in the future so you dont come across as a jealous idiot again.

Completely unnecessary. Infracted.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

this is what people who buy Porche's, buy them for, to make a statement about themselves.

rubbish, so anyone who has a decent car, bought it to make a statement about themselves? the usual begrudery, jealousy and small mindedness of this thread is sickening.

• Advertisement

Buy the car, enjoy it.

IMHO, you're not seeing the begrudgery you were expecting, and that should give you license to get your '10 reg on your nice car and feel free to appreciate what your hard work has earned you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement