Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Porsche 911

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Darragh29 wrote: »
    ...Personally I dan't understand the need to use a vehicle to define who you are and this is what people who buy Porche's, buy them for, to make a statement about themselves.

.....then you're in denial.

That same emotion that drives us P-car owners is the same one that makes Man U fans pay daft money for match tickets, makes RoI fans travel half-way round the globe to watch us draw, makes people want to take up their footpaths and put in pavers, makes some people want to take holidays to Macchu Picchu instead of lying aroudn the Costa del Whatsit, makes poeple buy Type R's instead of 1.4i 's, makes them buy Abercrombie & Fitch instead of Dunnes, or drinks VKD instead of Club orange.......the list goes on......

iow - you do the same, we just haven't figured out what the outward manifestation of your personality is yet. Presumably it's not cars, but who knows ?

And anyone who who judges anyone, especially negatively, based on something as personal as subjective choice - of anyting -, is a condescending begrudger. OP - that's exactly what you sound like.

Me ? I'm in construction (only since 06/07), am on the same financial knife edge as anyone else, and when I saw the DB9 in traffic last night in Galway, I didn't thing 'tosser', I thought: 'one day', and believe me, one day, I will. Might be an 911, might be an R8, might be a DB7, but I won't be looking for anything other than my own approval when I do it.

Without dreams, this ****hole of a country is just a...........an even bigger ****hole/black hole, combined.

The commercial aspect of someone making such choices shouldn't be underestimated: that sale has had a domino effect in terms of jobs both now, and down the road (sic). If they have that much money, then having sitting in the bank, under the fingers of criminals like Mr Fitzpatrick, Mr Drumm et al serves no-one except..........Mr Fitzpatrick and Mr Drumm........

...really, some people........:mad:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Most people would dream of getting an 09 Porche, if he has the means then why not. The way people go on now about spending money you`d think were behind the iron curtain waiting 12 months for our Trabant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

copacetic wrote: »
    rubbish, so anyone who has a decent car, bought it to make a statement about themselves?

I don't think that's that unlikely a statement - people buy cars to reflect how they feel or how they want others to see them.

If that wasn't true, we'd all be in Skodas rather than VWs or Audis. I'd go as far as hazarding a guess that anyone driving around in an '09 Skoda at the moment also bought it to make a statement about themselves...

copacetic wrote: »
    the usual begrudery, jealousy and small mindedness of this thread is sickening.

Absolutely, and I'm not a fan of the begrudgery at all, but I feel the OP had an ulterior motive when starting the thread. ;)

rohatch wrote: »
    No, its nothing to do with being able to afford it or begrudgery.

I would like to buy a new 5 series in march, or the 530d GT but I am concerned about the fact that next year with 20% unemployment, dole cut more, more professional people will be out of work, the poor and the crims will be on the lookout for easy targets.

...and how will you buying, or not buying a car - of any kind - affect that? At least if you buy a car, you will generate economic activity. That's the only way the dole queue will get shorter. I'm reminded of that famous quote by Edmund Burke, suitably paraphrased for this instance to read "it is only necessary for the sustenance of mediocrity....for abled-men to do nothing".

Why live your life hostage to someone else ? Jeebus, just stay in and lock the doors then, and keep an eye on the email for the one telling you the Recession Is Over. It's over as soon as we all unwind a bit, and work with what we have.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭rohatch

galwaytt wrote: »
    That's the only way the dole queue will get shorter.

What planet are you on. The dole queues will just get longer and longer. Do you have any idea how bad it will be here in 12 months.

I do NOT want to be attracting attention to myself.

I love cars as much as anyone, BUT a new 911 is a BEACON signalling look what I have, look how much money I have. In uncertain economic times it is more prudent not to show what you have.
    keep an eye on the email for the one telling you the Recession Is Over.
    The recession hasn't even begun yet

tdc wrote: »
    he wants one and can afford it so why shouldnt he get one? would you feel better if he didnt buy it?? the car was paid for with HIS money that HE earned. why does it bother you so much? jealous, begrudging people like you really do my head in.

I feel you should think before you post in the future so you dont come across as a jealous idiot again.

Brilliant, no idea what part of the post you are replying to. I admire your ability for interpretation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭NLane

The dole queues will just get longer and longer. Do you have any idea how bad it will be here in 12 months.

not helped by the attitude "oh no i better not buy anything that someone might want to steal".... like a few people have said, spending money in our economy, especially on something like a new car, generates income for the state that helps them balance the books. so fair play to the new 911 owner, and to anyone else who buys a new car over the next few years, they are helping a devastated industry in a devastated economy. and people insure cars btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

What planet are you on. The dole queues will just get longer and longer. Do you have any idea how bad it will be here in 12 months.

I love cars as much as anyone, BUT a new 911 is a BEACON signalling look what I have, look how much money I have. In uncertain economic times it is more prudent not to show what you have.

No, it's not. It is for some people and then there are others, that just love cars and don't care about what people think about them. You can't throw them all in one bucket.
    The recession hasn't even begun yet

That's the mindset that makes the recession happening. The recession happened because of lack of forward planning, news media telling us it is recession and us believing, it's the case.

No recession would have happened, if people not been shafting everybody on end, taking loans for everything, just to show off and would have planned just a little bit ahead.

Recession still doesn't apply to everybody, as there is businesses that are still doing well, as they supply a market with demand no matter what.

The only thing that changed is, that people now only can spend what money they have in the bank.

Fair fox to yer man, that was able to buy a 2009 Porsche and thumbs up.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Sure even the Porche dealer in Ireland now has gone under!!!
    Indeed. If more people who could afford to had followed this gent's lead, then the Porche dealer would still be able to pay his employees, his employees would be able to pay their paye, and their vat on the nice christmas pressies, and keep a couple of shop workers in their jobs. Spending is the best possible thing somebody with a few quid can do for the country.

Edit: Not to mention this chap's massive direct 'donation' to the government coffers in VRT and VAT.

Is more prudent not to show what you have.
    That's fair enough, I think, and if I were in this chaps financial shoes I would be going for something like an M5 or RS6, modified so that non car enthusiasts couldn't distinguish it from the base car.

But that's nothing against somebody who does choose an overtly expensive car. There are always going to be differences in people's economic circumstances, and people who do particularly well have nothing to apologies for. There will always be somebody worse off who can interpret your spending as showing off, if they choose to: What would a starving man think about joe bloggs splashing out on a new golf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I was in Celbridge yesterday and I spotted a brand new silver 911 and it made me think.

Is this the type of car you wanna be driving in a recession.

Do you want/need to advertise the fact that you can blow 170k in this day and age on a fcuking car.

How do you lot feel about this?

Stupid thread of the year award! So you're not allowed drive nice cars in a recession? Shame on Porsche for even making nice cars in a recession!
    In my opinion, yer man couldn't have bought his Porsche at a better time! Any economist will tell you that for best value for your money you save when everyone else is spending, and spend when everyone else is saving!! I bet the discount on his Porsche now was a hell of a lot better than this time two years ago!
    Fair play to him and his kind. I just hope he's the type to enjoy the mechanical quality of the brand and not just the brand!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Chris wrote:
    I don't think that's that unlikely a statement - people buy cars to reflect how they feel or how they want others to see them.

If that wasn't true, we'd all be in Skodas rather than VWs or Audis. I'd go as far as hazarding a guess that anyone driving around in an '09 Skoda at the moment also bought it to make a statement about themselves...
    That's fair enough, I think, and if I were in this chaps financial shoes I would be going for something like an M5 or RS6, modified so that non car enthusiasts couldn't distinguish it from the base car.

But that's nothing against somebody who does choose an overtly expensive car. There are always going to be differences in people's economic circumstances, and people who do particularly well have nothing to apologies for. There will always be somebody worse off who can interpret your spending as showing off, if they choose to: What would a starving man think about joe bloggs splashing out on a new golf?

It's true that many people do buy cars like this to make a statement, but not everyone does. M5's and RS6's are specific kinds of cars, and they offer a set of qualities themselves, but a 911 and cars like it offer quite a different set of qualities. Sure many qualities like speed are common to both, but if you want a fast rear-engined light supercar/sports car, then a powerful saloon won't do.
    And as for Golfs, often those kind of buyers are the most silly/boastful. They go and borrow the whole amount of the cost of the car, for what? To show their friends that they have a 09 car? My bet is many brand new Golf buyers can less afford their Golf and owe a far higher percentage of the cost of it than the Porsche owner! So who is living beyond their means the more? If you're living beyond your means, then you're being much more boastful than buying what you can afford.

Biro wrote: »
    M5's and RS6's are specific kinds of cars, and they offer a set of qualities themselves, but a 911 and cars like it offer quite a different set of qualities. Sure many qualities like speed are common to both, but if you want a fast rear-engined light supercar/sports car, then a powerful saloon won't do.
    True that, and I suppose distinctive looks are part of the package with a supercar (or is it a high-end sports car?) too.

I was suggesting that the dressed down fast saloons would be a more prudent choice, but I guess that kind of thinking would end up with everyone driving diesel avensises (avenses?).

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

I was in Celbridge yesterday and I spotted a brand new silver 911 and it made me think.

Is this the type of car you wanna be driving in a recession.

Do you want/need to advertise the fact that you can blow 170k in this day and age on a fcuking car.

How do you lot feel about this?

I feel you need to wise up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,767 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I love cars as much as anyone,

to sentence one, buy a golf diesel then and be done with it

to sentence two, obviously not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

There's a middle ground - make it look as though you have money with a 5-10 year old luxobarge. All the fun without the horrific depreciation, that's they way I'll be doing it. That said, fair play to anyone who buy a brand new Porsche/5 series, big purchases really help the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

No, its nothing to do with being able to afford it or begrudgery.

I would like to buy a new 5 series in march, or the 530d GT but I am concerned about the fact that next year with 20% unemployment, dole cut more, more professional people will be out of work, the poor and the crims will be on the lookout for easy targets.

Don't think you'll get quite the same attention in your new 530d as a 911. You'll be grand. Spread some mud and shyte on it to keep those pesky poor people away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

I'm totally of the opinion fair play to this guy. He has put thousands of euros in to the irish tax system (VRT and VAT). He has kept someone in a porsche garage in a job. Nice that someone is spending.
    I can understand the OP's worries though... in a time like this. It does breed jealousy and personally i would be put off purely from the point of view of being afraid someone is going to key it.
    Personally if i was going to spend 200k on a new car I think i would have spent the money on a year old DB9 but I prefer aston martin to the porsche... thats my only criticism of the porsche drivers choice!

Marlow wrote: »

That's the mindset that makes the recession happening. The recession happened because of lack of forward planning, news media telling us it is recession and us believing, it's the case.

/M

The recession happened because we live in a backward country with gombeen cowboys running things.

The current value of derivatives is over 7 times the planets GDP, do you understand that the way of life we have is finished.
    T-Square wrote: »
    I feel you need to wise up.

Why bother posting? try to read the whole thread 1st, until then S.T.F.Up
    Biro wrote: »
    So you're not allowed drive nice cars in a recession? Shame on Porsche for even making nice cars in a recession!
    In my opinion, yer man couldn't have bought his Porsche at a better time! Any economist will tell you that for best value for your money you save when everyone else is spending, and spend when everyone else is saving!! I bet the discount on his Porsche now was a hell of a lot better than this time two years ago!
    Fair play to him and his kind. I just hope he's the type to enjoy the mechanical quality of the brand and not just the brand!

Pity you missed the actual point of the thread so I will point you to the reply above.

BTW I am an economist, don't go quoting what you do not understand.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I say fair play to the chap too, lord knows if i had that kind of cash i would be spending it on an equivalent motor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

BTW I am an economist

Arent we all.

Loved the "poor and the crims" reference BTW.

Fair play to the guy I say (like 99% of the others have said).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,767 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

lol

So WHA

you and your kind have been getting it wrong for years :D

OK people, let's keep it civil. Attack the post & not the poster.

....leaving aside whether it's a Porsche or a 5-series, then tbh spouting off about being an economist, yet failing to comprehend the need that the purchase of things - Porsches included - is fundamental to the survival of an economy, is.........intriguing, I'll hand you that.

Ode To The Motorist

....leaving aside whether it's a Porsche or a 5-series, then tbh spouting off about being an economist, yet failing to comprehend the need that the purchase of things - Porsches included - is fundamental to the survival of an economy, is.........intriguing, I'll hand you that.

It is much more complex than that.

I was trying to have a simple thread about how driving around in a car worth more than a house where ONE quarter of the population is unemployed, and another quarter of the population is at their wits end and surviving week to week.

It is enough for me to consider 40k on a new car.

It is NOT about begrudgery or anything else.

OK, I don't see this thread going anywhere other than people coming on and either saying "fair play that man" or "OP, you're a begrudger" or something similar.

If you have a constructive argument that will further the topic, PM me and I'll re-open the thread. Otherwise, I think it's time to close it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

To be fair, spending the money within Ireland would be far more beneficial to our economy. That said, as a European i'm as happy to see jobs being supported in Germany as here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement