Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steorn revolution begins with "Get Real. Get Orbo"

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Orbo Technology Update

The Final Demo:
    Proving Overunity

Steorn is pleased to announce that the final pre-launch demonstration of its Orbo technology, “Proving Overunity” will take place at 1600 GMT on Saturday January 30th.

Steorn invites you to view the demonstration streamed live at www.steorn.com or attend in person at the Waterways Ireland Visitor Centre, Grand Canal Dock, Dublin 4, Ireland.

Directions: http://www.steorn.com/demo

Description:

Sean McCarthy, CEO of Steorn, will demonstrate and prove that Orbo is an overunity technology.

Who should attend:

Anyone interested in understanding Orbo Technology or taking up an Orbo Technology Developer License.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

zod wrote: »
    They claim to *not understand* where the energy comes from. If you add up the energy from KNOWN energy sources then it breaks laws.

50 years ago this would have looked like free energy also. And probably would have been scoffed at.

Have to disagree - they knew about the photoelectric effect since 1887!
    Ok that is slightly different but I don't think it'd be as mad to them as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

I believe in the Laws of Thermodynamics but there is a teeny tiny (>0.0000001%) part of me that says "what if". I am open to the fact that they could be wrong. More of a case of right for what we use it for but it might need to be modified to explain something in the future. A bit like breaking down an atom.

As a scientist I obey the laws of physics without fail.

I've been following Steorn since the beginning and I was opned minded but the more and more I read the reports from them the more and more I laugh.

I think a friend of mine was one of the reviewers or wrote an article about it - they too agreed with me and discredit Steorn's 'results'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

wyrn wrote: »
    I believe in the Laws of Thermodynamics but there is a teeny tiny (>0.0000001%) part of me that says "what if". I am open to the fact that they could be wrong.
    It doesn't even need to be wrong, there is a fantastic amount of energy holding the universe together which would support us for a trillion years without having any detrimental effects.

And possibly somebody will find a way to tap it next week.

But it won't be a marketing executive with a couple of magnets and an overactive imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

• Advertisement

All gone very quiet here!

Can some of the engineering/physics experts here interpret the significance of the following video, as I havent the foggiest when it comes to things like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTMQFvWkS9s
    Seems that this guy is claiming to be able to reproduce the Orbo effect after following some of Steorns instructions. Or is this guy in on it too??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

pH wrote: »

In Sean's mind he'd have like that press conference/demonstration to have been full of international media, instead (and no offence to anyone who here who may have attended) it was attended mainly by some interested anoraks.

I was at one of those things - I hopefully hid out of camera view.

(I live nearby and I was curious)

It just looked like a battery powered electric motor.

I was hoping for something where he'd simply demonstrate more power output than input.

He also made the claim that it would only work with a battery - he couldn't use a different power source.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I am still confused as to how this technology could beat solar panel + battery

or rectifying antennas using background radiation

or wind power

or thermocouples

or any of the many devices we already have to use available energy already in the environment

even if it defied thermodynamics what cost benefit does orbo offer ?

if it defied thermodynamics then they could get their seed capital by winning the Nobel prize.
    Or they could sell the secret to the oil companies for billions
    Still if they have managed to train some of Maxwell's Deamons it would be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

This question is directed to anyone reading the thread who actually uses oscilloscopes in their work or research.

What is the significance of all the talk in the videos of the lack of counter-EMF/back-EMF? Is McCarthy claiming that this is the source of the extra energy, or is he pointing it out as being an anomaly?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,064 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This question is directed to anyone reading the thread who actually uses oscilloscopes in their work or research.

What is the significance of all the talk in the videos of the lack of counter-EMF/back-EMF? Is McCarthy claiming that this is the source of the extra energy, or is he pointing it out as being an anomaly?

Probably trying to claim they've bypassed Lenz's law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenz_law

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Silly Scopes don't measure power.

They measure voltage. The voltage in an L-R circuit resonance is usually many times the applied voltage.

freewheel diode is a device used to short circuit back emf , used in a lot of switched mode power supplies.
    if the circuit has something similar then no back emf :p

One definition of Q factor is it's the ratio of the energy stored divided by the energy lost per cycle ( multiplied by two PI ). Apply this definition to some perpetual motion machines and you can see that you can get a lot of energy out in a small time if you pump a small amount of energy in for a very long time previously, and if the resevoir of energy is big enough you can take it out many times before you notice the drop.

Orbo demos use batteries, most rechargable batteries have a flat discharge curve, besides it's hard to tell how much was in it before / after. IIRC they used a mobile phone in the demo, how many days does a normal phone battery last , how could you easily measure the amount of charge it got during a short demo ?

What is the significance of all the talk in the videos of the lack of counter-EMF/back-EMF?
    None, its a red herring. Back-EMF is produced by an inductive circuit (i.e. a coil) with changing applied EMF. Usually a capacitor or diode is used in a circuit to block it.
    Is McCarthy claiming that this is the source of the extra energy, or is he pointing it out as being an anomaly?
    He's claiming it as evidence that 'what goes in always comes out' doesn't apply to the Orbo.

If there was any truth to the Orbo claim, we'd be shown current measurements.

All gone very quiet here!

Can some of the engineering/physics experts here interpret the significance of the following video, as I havent the foggiest when it comes to things like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTMQFvWkS9s
    Seems that this guy is claiming to be able to reproduce the Orbo effect after following some of Steorns instructions. Or is this guy in on it too??

Anyone?

Anyone?
    here

Like so much of the Orbo-crap, they're demonstrating basic principles of Electromagnetism and describing it arse-over-backwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Guess its more an attempt to scam money out of people who don't know any better.

Shame really.

heres yet another independent replication claiming over unity in an orbo configuration
    http://www.freeenergy.tv/2010/03/steorn-orbo-rep-v4-overunity-proving.html

heres yet another independent replication claiming over unity in an orbo configuration[
    I wouldn't call them independent seeing as how they are selling magnets :p

(tip old hard drives have very strong magnets in them)

Am also a little wary of videos

The input voltage was 4 on an analog meter (which was not shown again !!!)
    it's easy enough to wire up a field effect transistor as a constant current source ( just wire two of it's legs together )

LED 7.72 V ? bit confused unless he put 4 LED's in parallel in series with the other 5 in parallel OR he is burning half the voltage across a resistor (why would you do this to show efficiency ??)

Orbo still haven't shown a generator feeding itself so even if all this was true it means generators would need to be many times the size they are at present. The increased maintanance costs and interest you need to pay for the extra capital cost would eat in to the value of any free energy you could get. And that's before you pay for the licenses.

Am still mystified about people's belief in free energy. The sun provides us with solar, wind, wave, OTEC, tidal turbines and hydroelectric for free already. We can also get geothermal power for free too. The main reason we use fossil fuel instead is because of capital and maintainace costs.

Have orbo given a cost per installed KW or per KWhr ??

I've build crystal radios, power output is so low you need special earpiece to listen.

Superconductors can store current because a current will run forever. BUT there is a current density limit, you can only store so much current in a superconductor this together with the niggling difficulty of supplying a lot of energy to the heat pumps means we won't see energy stored in this way soon. (there are also the capital costs too, but the good news with superconductors is that volume and hence current increases faster than the surface area so you need less pumping )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

What ever happened to these guys ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Jumboman wrote: »
    What ever happened to these guys ?
    The laws of thermodynamics are still held to be true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

I wonder was it a scam from the beginning or did they actually believe it worked ?

• Advertisement

Jumboman wrote: »
    I wonder was it a scam from the beginning or did they actually believe it worked ?
    Dangerous legal ground considering Ireland's liable laws.

In the end it falls down to semantics and weasel words.

Wireless power by ground wave is easy enough to do. Tesla was doing it. Also solar power is down to 50c/watt https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/Module-Costs-Dip-Below-50-Cents-Per-Watt-in-JinkoSolars-Strong-Q4

Advertisement