Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you accept an active homosexual priest in your parish?

Options
  • 11-12-2009 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

In 1994 Father Liam Cosgrave, a curate from Baldoyle died in a gay sauna. He was given the last rites by two other Catholic priests who happened to be in the club and emerged from their cubical on hearing crys for help. Two homosexual priests have coitus interruptus in a gay club because another priest in the same clubs drops dead from a heart attack and requires the last rites. The club owner says about 20 RCC priests are regular patrons.

Renegade priest Pat Buckley says 30-40% of priests are actively gay.

How does the hierarchy react? There was no condemnation of Cosgrave from Desmond Connell and no attempt to admonish the other two priests who were with him in the club. While RCC doctrine condemns homosexual acts RCC Bishops tacitly accept homosexual acts between clergy. If the Bishops cannot act on their own belief system and remove active homosexual priests from the ministry then is it no wonder that they see child abuse as a trivial issue and offer succour and protection to sex offenders.

Would you accept an active homosexual priest in your parish and if so how would you reconcile your position with the doctrine of the RCC.

Priest died in gay sauna.

AS MANY as 20 Catholic priests are regular visitors to the gay Dublin
    sauna club where an elderly priest died suddenly over the weekend, the
    owner of the premises, Mr Liam Ledwidge, told The Irish Times last
    night.

He said that Father Liam Cosgrave (68), who apparently died of a heart
    attack early on Saturday morning, was a regular visitor to the
    Incognito sauna club, on Bow Lane East off Aungier Street, for many
    years.

Meanwhile the Archbishop of Dublin, Dr Desmond Connell, said yesterday
    that he was ``shocked and saddened'' by the circumstances of Father
    Cosgrave's death. In a statement, Dr Connell said the death of the
    curate was a tragedy. ``The circumstances of his death have shocked
    and saddened us all and make his death even more tragic.''

The Incognito's owner, Mr Ledwidge, said the Baldoyle curate, who was
    a member of the Montfort Fathers, was just one of a number of priests
    who frequented the premises. ``We do have a lot of priests visiting,
    around 20 of them. Of course they wouldn't all congregate at the same
    time and they don't form a higher proportion than any other
    profession. They don't wear their clerical collars, but over the years
    you do get to know what people do,'' said Mr Ledwidge, a partner in
    the club which opened 12 years ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I lived in the area at the time and I knew Liam Cosgrave personally.

He was a nice man, well thought of by all the community.

The press were all over parishioners after the incident and not one single person had a bad word to say about him, especially the more elderly ones.

His sexually wasn't known about before he died.

I think you'll find that there isn't such a thing as an 'active' homosexual priest in the Catholic Church...at least none that are 'out'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I feel it is important to make the distinction between someone being gay and someone choosing to live a lifestyle that Orthodox Christianity holds to be incomparable with the fundamentals of a life in Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Not too surprised at the double standards from the RCC to be honest.

Curious as to how the priests themselves reconcile with it though.

It's like a pro-apartheid coloured person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I feel it is important to make the distinction between someone being gay and someone choosing to live a lifestyle that Orthodox Christianity holds to be incomparable with the fundamentals of a life in Christ.

errm?

Can you explain that a bit more for me please. perhaps I'm not reading it right.

Do you mean the difference between simply being gay and living a gay lifestyle?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

gosplan wrote: »
    errm?

Can you explain that a bit more for me please. perhaps I'm not reading it right.

Do you mean the difference between simply being gay and living a gay lifestyle?

Sorry, that should have read "incompatible", not "incomparable".

Yes, it's the difference between being gay and living a gay lifestyle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rant_and_rave

I lived in the area at the time and I knew Liam Cosgrave personally.

He was a nice man, well thought of by all the community.

The press were all over parishioners after the incident and not one single person had a bad word to say about him, especially the more elderly ones.

His sexually wasn't known about before he died.

I think you'll find that there isn't such a thing as an 'active' homosexual priest in the Catholic Church...at least none that are 'out'.

Depends on your definition of nice. Cosgrave was a liar and a hypocrite devoid of any integrity. He should have resigned his ministry. He was living a lie.

The RCC demands that Catholics be sin free before receiving the Eucharist but Cosgrave thought it was OK to say mass in the morning, distribute communion and then head off to a gay sauna to fornicate with fellow priests. You see nothing wrong with this. No wonder the RCC is sick.

I just wonder whether all those baptisms and confirmations he officiated at are still valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Sorry, that should have read "incompatible", not "incomparable".

Yes, it's the difference between being gay and living a gay lifestyle.

Yes, its important to point out that the Bible never condemns anybody for having a sexual orientation that happens to be homosexual. It only condemns homosexual acts, and homosexual acts can be perrformed by anybody, including heterosexuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

Just to be fair, I'm sure this question is not limited to the Roman Catholic Church.

I've come across a number of Protestant ministers that would make you ask "Is he or isnt he?" but its generally the case of don't ask and don't tell.

To broaden the question beyond homosexuality - Would you welcome a priest/minister into your parish who was openly having a sexual relationship with an unmarried partner? (e.g sharing a home/bed, not having sex in public!)

For me personally, the answer would have to be no - whether straight or gay

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Yes, its important to point out that the Bible never condemns anybody for having a sexual orientation that happens to be homosexual. It only condemns homosexual acts, and homosexual acts can be perrformed by anybody, including heterosexuals.

What about Jesus' teaching about sinning in ones heart? Do you reckon that the lesson he taught was with regards to sinning in ones heart gives birth to sin? I.E, that dwelling on such desires will eat away at you and lead you into sin. OR, does he teach that the actual desire is sinful also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

JimiTime wrote: »
    What about Jesus' teaching about sinning in ones heart? Do you reckon that the lesson he taught was with regards to sinning in ones heart gives birth to sin? I.E, that dwelling on such desires will eat away at you and lead you into sin. OR, does he teach that the actual desire is sinful also?

To be tempted to commit an act is not sin. To cherish the thought and fantasize about an act would be sin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

PDN wrote: »
    To be tempted to commit an act is not sin. To cherish the thought and fantasize about an act would be sin.

So that means that its not just homosexual 'acts' or adulterous 'acts' etc that are taught as sinful?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Jesus was addressing self righteous people when He said that. People who thought that just because they don't commit certain deeds that they were sinless. They're not. If you hate someone in your heart then you are as guilty as the murderer, or if you lust in your heart then you are as guilty as the adulterer. It was to show the Pharisees up for what they were. Their spotless robes might be able to fool the ordinary man on the street but they cannot fool God. Paul says that we are corrupt according to deceiving desires, (Ephesians 4:22) not to desires per sé. People who have a sexual orientation that happens to be homosexual are sinners just like everyone else. We can't judge them, because as soon as we do then God judges us with the same judgment. Plus we can't pride ourselves on the fact that we never acted in such a way because we all know deep down inside if we have ever had a homosexual thought in our hearts or not, so before we jump to judge the performers of those acts, we should think long and hard about what goes on inside our hearts first. Only somebody who is perfect has the right to judge anyone, and the One who was perfect never did, He didn't even condemn the woman who was caught in the very act of adultery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

so being gay is not a choice then? If someone was born gay that would mean god made them gay?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Anyone who is in a leadership position has to be free from a lifestye that would be sinful.

That is not to say they have to be sinless, because that is impossible. They woul dhave to hold to a lifestyle that would be above reporoach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

so being gay is not a choice then? If someone was born gay that would mean god made them gay?

Don't go here. Fanny's post says no such thing and you are putting words into his post that are not there. :(

So that means that its not just homosexual 'acts' or adulterous 'acts' etc that are taught as sinful?

Jimi, I'm not sure what it is you're trying to say.

Fantasizing and dwelling on the thought of any sin is, according to Jesus, sinful. If I wanted to murder my next door neighbour, and spent every day imagining how much fun it would be to kill him, then that would be sinful - even if I was sufficiently afraid of the cops to refrain from actually killing my neighbour.

The same goes for homosexual behaviour. Feeling attracted to someone of the same sex (or indeed anyone of the opposite sex who is not a feasible marriage partner) is not sinful. But homosexual acts, or adulterous acts, are sinful. And, according to Jesus, it would be sinful to spend all day fantasizing about those acts, even if you never acted out those fantasies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

And, according to Jesus, it would be sinful to spend all day fantasizing about those acts, even if you never acted out those fantasies.

Does it have to be all day for it to be sinful?

Does it have to be all day for it to be sinful?

No, I'm simply trying to explain it in terms people can understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

homer911 wrote: »
    Just to be fair, I'm sure this question is not limited to the Roman Catholic Church.

I've come across a number of Protestant ministers that would make you ask "Is he or isnt he?" but its generally the case of don't ask and don't tell....

Or are even completely open...

gay minister appointed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I never really understood this "no gay priests" thing. I mean, either way, they are going to have to be celibate so what's the problem? :confused:

• Advertisement

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I never really understood this "no gay priests" thing. I mean, either way, they are going to have to be celibate so what's the problem? :confused:
    Well, Jesus says it's sinful to fantasize about sinful things, so....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

No you misunderstood Fanny's point.
    Being Gay is not regarded as a sin; it's homosexual or gay acts that are sinful.

Edit : Ah rats didn't see the second page until now :o

Malty_T wrote: »
    No you misunderstood Fanny's point.
    Being Gay is not regarded as a sin; it's homosexual or gay acts that are sinful.

Edit : Ah rats didn't see the second page until now :o
    40 posts per page FTW. ;)

You're right though, it appears that PDN & Fanny Cradock hold differing opinions, unless I'm reading it wrong?

You're right though, it appears that PDN & Fanny Cradock hold differing opinions, unless I'm reading it wrong?

Yes, I think you're reading it wrong. How do we differ on this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Yeah I think you are.

Edit : Ahh C'mon that's twice I've been beaten in less than 10 minutes. :(

Yes, I think you're reading it wrong. How do we differ on this issue?

It seemed to me Fanny Cradock was saying that just because a priest may be gay, doesn't mean they are sinful, provided they choose not to follow the lifestyle and engage in homosexual acts.

Whereas PDN, you are saying that it is sinful (according to Jesus) to fantasize about such acts.

They just seem like contradictory points, based on my interpretation of course.
    Fantasizing and dwelling on the thought of any sin is, according to Jesus, sinful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Depends on your definition of nice. Cosgrave was a liar and a hypocrite devoid of any integrity. He should have resigned his ministry. He was living a lie.
    Did you know the guy? No, you didn't.

It's very easy for someone on the internet to anonymously and merrily throw stones in the Greenhouse. Have a look in your own heart of hearts and tell me that you're morally squeaky clean yourself.

Liam Cosgrove was held and tied up at knifepoint over a twelve-hour period while a couple of gougers raided the church. He went out of his way to visit the sick and elderly of the parish during his many years in Baldoyle.

And before you start accusing me of being an apologist, I renounced my Catholic faith back in 1982 and I'm as tough a critic of the Catholic Church as you'd ever hope to meet.

Canonical arguments aside, he put more back into his community than you ever have.

Liam Cosgrove was a lovely man. End of.

It seemed to me Fanny Cradock was saying that just because a priest may be gay, doesn't mean they are sinful, provided they choose not to follow the lifestyle and engage in homosexual acts.

Whereas PDN, you are saying that it is sinful (according to Jesus) to fantasize about such acts.

They just seem like contradictory points, based on my interpretation of course.

I am 100% certain, based on previous discussions, that Fanny would agree with me about such fantasizing being sinful.

And I am 100% in agreement with his statement that just because a priest may be gay, doesn't mean they are sinful, provided they choose not to follow the lifestyle and engage in homosexual acts.

What we have both stated in this thread is that having a disposition to being attracted to others of the same sex is not of itself sinful.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Surely you cant be a homosexual unless you've actually had some kind of experience with a homosexual act? by that logic a man who's never had sex with another man, nor fantastises about it for fear of it being a sin can be gay?

• Advertisement

I am 100% certain, based on previous discussions, that Fanny would agree with me about such fantasizing being sinful.

And I am 100% in agreement with his statement that just because a priest may be gay, doesn't mean they are sinful, provided they choose not to follow the lifestyle and engage in homosexual acts.

What we have both stated in this thread is that having a disposition to being attracted to others of the same sex is not of itself sinful.
    But priests are humans, and all humans fantasize, therefore gay priests must be sinful?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement