Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

That's irrelevant, with respect. The great southern trail is being delivered successfully by a voluntary group, and is already attracting thousands of visitors to an area that is not a traditional tourism destination. They intend to connect it to Dublin via the grand canal and west Tipperary cycleway, creating the only long distance cycle route that is plugged in to Dublin port and airport. The west on track people don't want this to happen in mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

In a lot of cases the alignment is wide enough for a single track and a cycle path - where at all possible it should not be a case of rail or bike, and a lot of existing or recent alignments (Rosslare-Campile for instance) should be looked at ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

eastwest wrote: »
    That's irrelevant, with respect. The great southern trail is being delivered successfully by a voluntary group, and is already attracting thousands of visitors to an area that is not a traditional tourism destination. They intend to connect it to Dublin via the grand canal and west Tipperary cycleway, creating the only long distance cycle route that is plugged in to Dublin port and airport. The west on track people don't want this to happen in mayo.

Can you provide a link - with figures - to back up your claims about visitor numbers on the Great Southern Trail?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

1.My wife & I were on our Honeymoon and visited Tralee 3 October 2007.While looking for the Tralee & Dingle train, we met a railfan from England who wanted to trace the line. He invited my wife and me to join them on a ride to Dingle to photograph what relics we could find We had a pleasant journey and was very impressed by the beautiful Kerry countryside. I am enamored by 5T and look forward to riding her train in the future. I model 2′ & 3′ gauge & just added 2 class 141 diesels by Murphy models to my collection
    JD sorry but i pulled this from one of your links earlier - for me it really says it all about the restoration of these old rail lines lobby, I hope others can indeed see the pythonesque humour in it: but I want to pull these bits out:

He invited my wife and me to join them on a ride to Dingle...I am enamored by 5T and look forward to riding her train in the future You have got to admit pulling these two phrases out and putting them together does make you feel rather sorry for the lady. go on have a laugh if you have a similiar sense of humour. JD I think you will see the black comedy - the trouble is the ocotogenerian priest and his side kick who remembers trains in claremorris as a young boy will take this kind of comment as serious argument, this is the real problem!.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

The limerick Tralee line is already being turned into a greenway. It will eventually link tralee to dublin using the grand canal towpath. A related proposal to connect dublin to Achill using the royal canal and a disused rail line in mayo is being blocked by the pro rail lobby. Clearly, mayo doesn't want the tourists but Kerry does.

Put in more greenways and I'll send you the tourists :pac: . Seriously that's good news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

maninasia wrote: »
    The limerick Tralee line is already being turned into a greenway. It will eventually link tralee to dublin using the grand canal towpath. A related proposal to connect dublin to Achill using the royal canal and a disused rail line in mayo is being blocked by the pro rail lobby. Clearly, mayo doesn't want the tourists but Kerry does.

Put in more greenways and I'll send you the tourists :pac: . Seriously that's good news.

You mean wise economic use of scarce resources, rather than pointless regressive nostalgia for it's own sake...
    Heresy burn him

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

maninasia wrote: »

yeah built it and they will come..... i think i heard that before somewhere didn't I?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Apart from Kevin Costiner , wasn't it said about the first leg of the western rail corridor....when are they coming

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Markcheese wrote: »
    Apart from Kevin Costiner , wasn't it said about the first leg of the western rail corridor....when are they coming
    They are on the train so it may take a while!

foggy_lad wrote: »
    They are on the train so it may take a while!

No they are all waiting for their free travel pass to come through before they use it so they have the time to while a couple of hours on a journey that takes an hour by road, and they can read the paper have their flask of coffee, bottle of ginger beer and cheese sandwiches- because as they said on primetime its such a nice day out!!! or words to that effect.

This is what we must get right - building vital infrastructure for the social lives of our greying population!

• Advertisement

westtip wrote: »
    No they are all waiting for their free travel pass to come through before they use it so they have the time to while a couple of hours on a journey that takes an hour by road, and they can read the paper have their flask of coffee, bottle of ginger beer and cheese sandwiches- because as they said on primetime its such a nice day out!!! or words to that effect.

This is what we must get right - building vital infrastructure for the social lives of our greying population!
    A railway around the ring of kerry would have been more appreciated if that's the case at least there would be some stunning scenery for the small part of the journey that was not in some cutting or gully.

West on track website has a section called the archives. its always worth a browse just to tickle yourself pink every now and again about the complete and utter twaddle that has eminated from that organisation over the years - this one is a classic from six years ago. Enjoy it and have a laugh it really is a beauty: http://www.westontrack.com/news178.htm
    Opinion Poll Findings show Significant Passenger Demand for Western Rail Corridor
    Press Release 31st October 2006

The West on Track Community Campaign has welcomed the findings of the MRBI/TG4 Opinion Poll in Galway West which show that almost a quarter of those interviewed would use the soon to be reopened section of the Western Rail Corridor from Ennis to Athenry and that 8% would use it at least 2-3 times per week.

Commenting on the findings, a spokesman for West on Track said: "These figures more than bear out the passenger demand projections of West on Track and are in line with ongoing research being conducted both north and south of Athenry which indicate that demand north of Athenry (the Mayo-Galway route) is 80% of that south of it," he said.

"For example, if 23% of the population of Co. Galway over 18 yrs (approx 150,000) were to make a return journey just once a week, as indicated in the MRBI Opinion Poll, that would generate 828,000 passenger journeys per year (see 1 below).

"It should also be borne in mind that this high level of potential patronage is within just one of the counties to be served by the line (i.e. Galway). We welcome the fact that our passenger demand projections have now been independently verified and expect our projections of demand north of Galway to be accepted as equally accurate.

"The findings of the TG4 poll clearly justify the decision to proceed with the Ennis-Athenry section of the WRC and should encourage the Government to include Phase 2 from Athenry to Claremorris immediately.

"Working from the statistics in the poll it may be seen that potentially greater numbers of people would be using that one section of the WRC annually than currently use the Belfast-Dublin route, with numbers being at least as great as those currently using the Limerick-Dublin, Westport-Dublin and Sligo-Dublin routes," he added.

Example:

23% of respondents say they will use the train at least once a month.

As a % of total pop of Co. Galway over 18 yrs (150,000 approx):

= 34,500 people x 12 months

= 414,000 x 2 (return trips count as 2)

= 828,000 = DEMAND

Note: WEST ON TRACK projected a demand of 750,000

The people who wrote this cr*p are still there trying to claim credibility and arguing for this case. A friend of mine said to me today, there is no point arguing with these people they are a lost cause. What we have to do now is convince others - politicians, the public, the various stakeholders like Bord Failte and the County councils of the correct way to g. He said don't worry about west on track you will NEVER change their minds and the politicians now see them as a monkey they want to get off their backs. Groups like the Tuam Greenway group are a godsend. At long last the people are speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭yer man!

Just saw some prices there to travel this line, €52 return from Athenry to limerick at any time, it's probably a little more from Ceannt station (being further away). Bus is €20.90 return....... no wonder nobody wants to use this train, over double the price.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

yer man! wrote: »
    Just saw some prices there to travel this line, €52 return from Athenry to limerick at any time, it's probably a little more from Ceannt station (being further away). Bus is €20.90 return....... no wonder nobody wants to use this train, over double the price.....

:S doesn't sound right. Last time I checked it was 20e return on the train.

That was a promotion, I thought that was the price too until I went to check, way way too expensive.

New open return fare from Galway to limerick is €32.50 single is €21 and day return is €22

Of course if you travel on the train to Portlaoise and change there and travel 1st class it will cost about €60 return. Where did you get your price from?

Got it off irishrail.ie didn't give a price from galway so I put in athenry instead. So it's cheaper to go from Galway than form Athenry to Limerick, makes perfect sense.....

Got it off irishrail.ie didn't give a price from galway so I put in athenry instead. So it's cheaper to go from Galway than form Athenry to Limerick, makes perfect sense.....
    Firstly you can't book or buy tickets for Galway-limerick online but if you put athenry in the journey planner it will offer a journey which takes you from athenry over to Portarlington then Portlaoise then back to limerick and this is why it is showing some strange ticket prices because you are gone into intercity pricing rather than the commuter pricing category which the journey should be in.

Prices in my last post are correct and travelling from/to athenry and limerick may be cheaper but not by much. You should email or ring Irish rail to get the prices.

Firstly you can't book or buy tickets for Galway-limerick online but if you put athenry in the journey planner it will offer a journey which takes you from athenry over to Portarlington then Portlaoise then back to limerick and this is why it is showing some strange ticket prices because you are gone into intercity pricing rather than the commuter pricing category which the journey should be in.

Prices in my last post are correct and travelling from/to athenry and limerick may be cheaper but not by much. You should email or ring Irish rail to get the prices.

It goes through Gort and ardrahan for that fare.

It goes through Gort and ardrahan for that fare.
    Yes I would think it should? You should really be asking Irish rail if you want the correct fare and journey details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tuam Greenway Project

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Article on the front page of the Tuam Herald this week, abridged version is here: http://www.tuamherald.ie/2012/02/15/tuam-group-says-disused-railway-could-become-greenway/

In the full article, a group of like-minded local enthusiasts have proposed converting the section between Tuam and Kilbannon Round Tower to a Greenway taking in local ecclesiastical and historical sites, including nature walks over 2 local rivers, promoting facilities for walking, running and cycling clubs, providing access to areas of botanical interest and pedestrian and bike access to local employers along the route.

Quote from the article: "The Tuam Greenway Project are not opposed to the completion of the Western Rail Corridor if funding becomes available and in fact have highlighted the benefit of protecting the 'right-of-way' afforded by developing a Greenway on the route".

In response, an 'anonymous' spokesman for West-on-Track does not agree "This idea is nothing more than short-term opportunism and extreme shortsightedness to say the least." He goes on to mention extending the WRC on to Claremorris and beyond, linking up with Knock Airport, yada, yada, yada.

"Shortsightedness" - talk about the pot calling the kettle black :rolleyes:.

I see this as a very promising development for north Co. Galway. Nine individuals are not afraid to be named as committee members on the Greenway group in the article. I have walked along sections of the old rail track mentioned and it is truly a great pity that the possibility of a Tuam Greenway has been overlooked so far. I drive north along the N17 from Tuam every single day and I cross the old rail line in a few places, it is becoming very decrepit and overgrown in spots at this stage.

West-on-Track are very wary of the 'threat', the last quote in the article is "Proposing a greenway would jeopardise the whole concept of the western rail corridor and a North-South rail link".

I think the fact that the whole country is in hock up to it's eyeballs jeopardises WOT a great deal more.

Maybe this time local people-power might just make a difference.

Hello All,

I am a member of the Tuam Greenway Project which was set up in early January 2012 with the objective of bringing a beautiful Greenway to this area for families, walkers, joggers & cyclists alike to enjoy.
    We have both seen and are very impressed with the beautiful Greenways in County Mayo and we have also heard about the great work that is currently taking place on the Greenways between Limerick & Tralee. These projects are a joy to behold.

We have made it clear from day one that we are absolutely no threat to WOT's efforts to re-stablish the Western Rail Corridor. If the WOT are successful in re-opening the Western Rail Corridor (Northbound from Tuam), we are prepared to walk away from the Greenway. It is fair to say that this will not happen in the short/medium term owing to the current difficult economic climate.

We would appreciate any advice, help or support from Boardsies that share a passion for walking, jogging,cycling and indeed family life.

Below is a link to our Facebook Group:
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/213079802087801/

Hello All,

I am a member of the Tuam Greenway Project which was set up in early January 2012 with the objectivel of bringing a beautiful Greenway to this area for families, walkers, joggers & cyclists alike to enjoy.
    We have both seen and are very impressed with the beautiful Greenways in County Mayo and we have also heard about the great work that is currently taking place on the Greenways between Limerick & Tralee. These projects are a joy to behold.

We have made it clear from day one that we are absolutely no threat to WOT's efforts to re-stablish the Western Rail Corridor. If the WOT are successful in re-opening the Western Rail Corridor (Northbound from Tuam), we are prepared to walk away from the Greenway. It is fair to say that this will not happen in the short/medium term owing to the current difficult economic climate.

We would appreciate any advice, help or support from Boardsies that share a passion for walking, jogging,cycling and indeed family life.

You should be looking at creating the greenway beside the old railway where possible so that old crocks and cranks have no reason to argue it might get in the way of their railway project.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tuam Greenway Project

You should be looking at creating the greenway beside the old railway where possible so that old crocks and cranks have no reason to argue it might get in the way of their railway project.

Hi foggy_lad,
    We are currently looking into that. Of course, space plus health & safety are the critical issues.

Hi foggy_lad,
    We are currently looking into that. Of course, space plus health & safety are the critical issues.
    Don't be worried about space too much as I would say bicycles will have been replaced by teleporting as a means of transport before the next phases of the WRC get going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Don't be worried about space too much as I would say bicycles will have been replaced by teleporting as a means of transport before the next phases of the WRC get going.

Off topic but Galway has often been to the forefront of technology where cycling is concerned. I believe the original plans for the tribal roundabouts showed a box on the arms marked "cyclist teleportation zone". Apparently cyclists were to be beamed up as they approached and then beamed back down again safely on the other side. I'm not sure how long it worked for. Certainly by the time I was using the Galway roundabouts the dilithium crystals appear to have run down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

Hello All,

I am a member of the Tuam Greenway Project which was set up in early January 2012 with the objective of bringing a beautiful Greenway to this area for families, walkers, joggers & cyclists alike to enjoy.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/213079802087801/[/QUOTE]

Good to see that there are a few forward-looking people left in Tuam. It's obvious to all but those who will not see that the best way to protect the rail corridor from land-grabbers is to lay a path on it and get it used. If the ownership remains with CIE, what's the problem? They can lay a track on it anytime they like. Good luck with your plans to develop tourism and leisure infrastructure in Tuam and surrounds; I look forward to cycling on it one of these days. Is this you btw? http://www.sensiblegovernment.com

I have just typed in a ticket query from Athenry to Limerick and it says €26 return and some of the journeys are indicating a route via Port Arlington - although the direct route is shown as well.

but the fare is showing at 26 return. Pretty steep.

Hey that sensible government website is brilliant http://www.sensiblegovernment.com nothing to do with me but what a magic idea to create 5,000 jobs in tourism and construction quickly are relatively cheaply IS ANYONE LISTENING OUT THERE!!!

Hello All,

Its really great to see this group happening south of Claremorris, be warned you will come up against well orchestrated opposition that will try to undermine your groups ideas who will say a Greenway will stop a "major piece of infrastructure" for the west of ireland - referring of course to a train line that is never going to be reinstated. Be under no illusions attempts will be made to undermine your credibility, to try and show you have no support and in general to stop what you are trying to do to help west of ireland tourism. Do no be deterred. Ideas belong to everyone and the rail alignment does not belong to one group but to the public as a whole. Your ideas are equally worth to those of others.

You can clearly see the bigger picture and whats needed for activity tourism in the west of ireland - brillian and well done. If you want any literature or photos of stuff that has been done by the SMG campaign just pm me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Well done to all the greenway advocates everywhere.

Proposing realistic alignment protection solutions and keeping the alignments in public use and ownership is a most valid addition to the public discourse and beats watching a streak of rust and hogweed stretching to the horizon off the N17.

I'd also like to see Westtip reactivate his Express Bus Atlantic Corridor suggestion ( may have been made in the Roads forum not here) and 'Galway Hub' plan...I don't think that lot should go away while he is evidently busy. Once they reckon you is a guru they reckon you is a guru, way it is. :)

Getting off a bus at an express bus hub and lepping on a bicycle is rather a complementary activity set to my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I wonder is there anywhere where there is a bit of spur track or something where a "greenway demo" could be built. Make the track look good cosmetically even if it wouldn't hold the weight of an empty wagon and shovel some stones over the rotten sleepers, then build a short length of adequate fencing similar to similar fences in current operational use (not the palisade stuff IE uses at stations but something you can see through) and a greenway track alongside. This could be then used for photomontages - literally a before and after where unremediated track ends and the greenway begins. This could then be accompanied by diagrams showing how wide the greenway could be with a single track, fence and greenway which was both wide enough to use for recreation while respecting IE's structure gauge.

The thing is, if IE handled it right how wouldn't it be handy for them to essentially have a service road running alongside their single track lines? The greenway people could agree that X days per year that IE could use the greenway to access the line and carry out any maintenance easier to do from alongside rather than use a vehicle on the line itself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement