Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

‘Ello, I wish to register a complaint.

For candles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

Colm McCarthy talking on Pat Kenny this morning dishing the aspirations of the Steel Wheel Brigade ( whoever they are) in favour of better bus infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Muckyboots wrote: »
    Colm McCarthy talking on Pat Kenny this morning dishing the aspirations of the Steel Wheel Brigade ( whoever they are) in favour of better bus infrastructure.

Colm McCarthy is full of it and like all of his type reckons buses are good enough for the plebs - he even admitted that he uses buses occasionally. The old saying that an economist is somebody who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing could have been created for him. Himself and that other guardian of the public purse - TCD's Dr.Sean Barrett - should be put on Elon Musk's next rocket and blasted off somewhere far, far away.

A train to every house is on the cards so.
    Wouldn't it make a great election slogan for the week after the budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Colm McCarthy is full of it and like all of his type reckons buses are good enough for the plebs - he even admitted that he uses buses occasionally. The old saying that an economist is somebody who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing could have been created for him. Himself and that other guardian of the public purse - TCD's Dr.Sean Barrett - should be put on Elon Musk's next rocket and blasted off somewhere far, far away.

Have Barrett or McCarthy ever supported any rail project in Dublin, let alone Ireland? Not to my memory and I've been following this lark since the late 1970s.

• Advertisement

Have Barrett or McCarthy ever supported any rail project in Dublin, let alone Ireland? Not to my memory and I've been following this lark since the late 1970s.

To be fair to them, they're just economists and only deal in facts and figures.
    The bigger picture, like a Minister or a TD needing to deliver something to a constituency is outside their remit.

eastwest wrote: »
    To be fair to them, they're just economists and only deal in facts and figures.
    The bigger picture, like a Minister or a TD needing to deliver something to a constituency is outside their remit.

There would be some quare facts and figures all right if Barrett, who opposed DART, as well as Luas, had had his way and every scrap of rail in the Republic was taken up. Our wee spat about Athenry-Sligo would be well cancelled out by the sprawl and chaos we'd be dealing with now. Imagine Dublin four times the size it is now and half the density..

There would be some quare facts and figures all right if Barrett, who opposed DART, as well as Luas, had had his way and every scrap of rail in the Republic was taken up. Our wee spat about Athenry-Sligo would be well cancelled out by the sprawl and chaos we'd be dealing with now. Imagine Dublin four times the size it is now and half the density..

Spat?
    I thought it was just lively banter, myself.

Spat?
    I thought it was just lively banter, myself.

Okay, banter. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭what_traffic

He is right on the WDR, but has been very poor with his analysis on benefits of heavy rail in built up urban areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Now that Sean Canney has been cast into the political darkness, what are the implications for his friends in the rail lobby? Will he still be able to block greenway development from his perch outside the door of Minister Ross' office?

I heard from a local constituent he has a shopping list with his list of demands to stay supporting the minority government. This may be the big moment for Canney to deliver. None of us are sure what is on his list, shoorly not the WRC?

Anyway he is no Tony Gregory or Jackie healy Rae. My guess is he might achieve a pat on the back be thanked for his service so far and be shown the back door with maybe one or two other indos sitting outside the headmasters office waiting for the call of "next" followed by "and what can I do for you sir ........ to help you get re-elected"

westtip wrote: »
    I heard from a local constituent he has a shopping list with his list of demands to stay supporting the minority government. This may be the big moment for Canney to deliver. None of us are sure what is on his list, shoorly not the WRC?

Anyway he is no Tony Gregory or Jackie healy Rae. My guess is he might achieve a pat on the back be thanked for his service so far and be shown the back door with maybe one or two other indos sitting outside the headmasters office waiting for the call of "next" followed by "and what can I do for you sir ........ to help you get re-elected"

He'll ask for another report on the wrc, to be delivered within six months. :D:D:D

He'll ask for another report on the wrc, to be delivered within six months. :D:D:D

There will tears in his constituency office in claremorris if he no longer has any influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

I presume the new timetable for WRC passenger trains and Sunday pilgrimage specials will be up on Aertel soon. Anyone know the page number? Green button or yellow button?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,671 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

http://connachttribune.ie/no-plans-to-replace-rail-bridge-removed-during-road-widening-990/
    No plans to replace rail bridge removed during road widening

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

There never were any plans to replace that bridge. The money spent on designing a bridge by minister Ross at the urging of Sean Canney was a scandalous waste of public funds in pursuit of votes by the Galway TD.

There never were any plans to replace that bridge. The money spent on designing a bridge by minister Ross at the urging of Sean Canney was a scandalous waste of public funds in pursuit of votes by the Galway TD.

I think Sean Canney may have read public mood wrong on this one, there are very few votes in the Western Rail Corridor as the coucillors from the area spelt out the facts in this article:

Pete Roche "But the Fine Gael councillor pointed out that he did not expect that the full railway bridge would be restored given that it was unlikely that trains would ever run along the Western Rail Corridor again."

and Cllr Donagh Killilea told a meeting that he had been informed there were no plans to rebuild the bridge anytime in the near future.

He explained that this was on the basis "that Irish Rail did not expect to be any trains along the track in the foreseeable future."

Cllr Karey Mchugh who supports the greenway mentioned part of the bridge to be restored.

All three of these councillors know the benefit a greenway will bring to East Galway and why Sean Canney keeps resisting this idea which has widespread public support in his own constituency is beyond the realms of reason for any politician. The 1.2 million available would go a long way to building the entire greenway from Athenry to Milltown on the closed railway route; and could be directed at the foot and cycle bridge that will be needed for the grenway.

So why does Mr Canney continue to go against public opinion?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/se%C3%A1n-canney-likely-to-confirm-exit-from-independent-alliance-1.3478426

If he does leave Government and replaced by another indepdenent we may finally see the rail report and the latest feasibility study into the WRC Phases 2-4.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

marno21 wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/se%C3%A1n-canney-likely-to-confirm-exit-from-independent-alliance-1.3478426

If he does leave Government and replaced by another indepdenent we may finally see the rail report and the latest feasibility study into the WRC Phases 2-4.

There is no other Independent who would be both willing and acceptable to the government/public - Lowry is about the only one who would sign up and he fails the latter.

L1011 wrote: »
    There is no other Independent who would be both willing and acceptable to the government/public - Lowry is about the only one who would sign up and he fails the latter.

Wouldn't bet on that one, I reckon someone might come out of the woodwork, or even the countryside alliance or whatever they call themselves, there will be a few other indos out there who will say to themselves if Canney was a big enough eejit not to grab this chance to get something done for his constituency then I will. The last thing a lot of the other independents want is a general election, I reckon they will find a willing replacement fairly easily probably with a behind the doors deal.

Yes it could be great news for the railway report, as Ross won't be constrained to produce a report that keeps Canney happy; and I don't think Ross in his heart of hearts is a big fan of the Western Rail Corridor.

Strangely, Tuam losing an independent in Government who had the power to deliver the greenway could be the best thing that has happened to the Greenway campaign. I reckon they will be livid in Claremorris for Canney not just biting his lip and accepting it like a man, he now has no influence and West on Track may have lost their trump card.

Just a theory for the readers from Claremorris, how's it going lads!?

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »

Michael Fitzmaurice is now in the driving seat, if he so choses.

Michael Fitzmaurice is now in the driving seat, if he so choses.

Now that is an idea, he is quite a pragmatic man who could see the benefits of rural tourism a greenway might bring, he might support the idea of a greenway through Roscommon extended from the Royal Canal up through Roscommon to connect Strokestown House/Lough Key and possibly to connect with the Western Rail Trail at Charlestown with the choice to head north to Sligo/Enniskillen or south to Galway or west to the Great Western Greenway.

I reckon Michael Fitzmaurice could help drive this kind of greenway connectivity to generate rural tourism in county Roscommon?

Wonder if the idea has ever been put to him he might prove to have more vision that Sean Canney!?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I presume the new timetable for WRC passenger trains and Sunday pilgrimage specials will be up on Aertel soon. Anyone know the page number? Green button or yellow button?

I saw an advert for one of them on the freight trains going Belview-Ballina yesterday while stopped at one of the level crossings between Ballindine and Claremorris. Thankfully the train happened to be going quite slowly so I was able to read it

Press release From: The Western Rail Trail campaign
    May 2nd 2018 for immediate release: 482 words (main body text)

Ballyglunin Bridge in Galway not going to be rebuilt say Western Media reports
    • Common sense decision by Department of Transport say Greenway campaigners who lobbied for bridge project to be halted
    • Tax Payers money won't be wasted on bridge that will carry no trains
    • €1.2 million for bridge could be focussed on greenway and walking/cycling bridge over N63

A spokesman for the Western Rail Trail Campaign – an alliance of community-based campaign groups in Galway Mayo and Sligo campaigning to preserve the alignment of the closed rail line from Athenry to Collooney by utilising the route for tourism and leisure as a greenway until such time as a railway may be possible, has welcomed the reports in western regional media that the Railway bridge at Ballyglunin, county Galway is not going to be rebuilt to standards suitable for a railway.

Reports in Galway based media this week confirmed the bridge is not going to be replaced at a cost of €1.2 million on a closed railway.

The bridge was removed last year to facilitate road widening as part of the N63 upgrade. At the time it was taken down there were reports the Department of Transport were planning a complete rebuild of the bridge at a cost of €1.2 million despite the fact there are no plans to re-open the railway from Athenry to Claremorris.

“It stands to reason that a railway standard bridge should not be built at a cost of €1.2 million until we know what is going to happen to the closed railway. Options for use of the railway route are being considered as part of a pending report from the Department of Transport” said Brendan Quinn spokesperson for the Western Rail Trail. "We understand a Report may be published in September"

The greenway campaign group lobbied both Galway County Council and The Department of Transport to hold back on building a railway bridge at a cost of €1.2 million to taxpayers on a railway that has not been operational for 30 years. "Until we know the outcome of The Western Rail Corridor report it would seem ridiculous to replace the railway bridge on a closed railway; we are pleased the Department of Transport has called stop to this waste of taxpayers money"

The spokesperson continued “All indications are that the railway will not re-open for many years to come, it is probably decades away from becoming a railway again, if ever. In the meantime protecting the closed railway route should be the priority. Protection of closed railways by utilising them as greenways until such time as a railway is possible is accepted international best practice. The existing trackbed could be used as a greenway to protect the route. The current railway structure, of rails and sleepers is only of scrap value to Irish Rail and would have to be pulled up in the remote chance the railway is going to be re-opened, so a greenway on the route would protect it in public ownership for a railway in a few decades time. It's common sense really”

“When the greenway gets the go ahead to protect the route there will be a need for a walking and cycling bridge across the N63 and this is what the €1.2 million should be earmarked for now” said the spokesperson.

ENDS: body text 470 words

Contacts: via sligomayogreenway page on facebook
    Find us on Facebook: sligomayogreenwaycampaign

The so called Western Rail Corridor report, "the Canney report" shoudl be sent for tender soon, anyone got a quicklink on where the tender will be posted? I am sure I could find it quickly but if anyone knows so much easier.

would I be right to assume it should be here https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders

The so called Western Rail Corridor report, "the Canney report" shoudl be sent for tender soon, anyone got a quicklink on where the tender will be posted? I am sure I could find it quickly but if anyone knows so much easier.

would I be right to assume it should be here https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders
    That would be a nice job to get -- just cut and paste the last report and stick an invoice on top. Nothing has changed, and nothing will change.
    I don't think it will be tendered, just done in house in DOT as far as I know, but I'm open to correction.

That would be a nice job to get -- just cut and paste the last report and stick an invoice on top. Nothing has changed, and nothing will change.
    I don't think it will be tendered, just done in house in DOT as far as I know, but I'm open to correction.

thought it had to be an independent report!?, Just like the McCann report!!!!! That report was so "independent" packed with the pro west on track supporters it made the whole thing a laughing stock, mind you fair play to them, the McCann report almost became a policy document but if ever there was an example of a lobby group being allowed too much room at the table then this was it.

The McCann report really has a lot to answer for, and I trust will never be allowed to repeat itself.

Well well an interesting public comment by former Independent Alliance TD and former Independent Alliance junior minister on Sean O'Rourke this morning when asked about the so called Western Rail Corridor Sean Canney commented along the lines of this statement below (podcast post to come)
    There will be a WRC report delivered in the coming months....If rail is not deemed feasible, then we will have to consider alternative uses

Been given the escape hatch has he by Leo? One would only hope so!

The end is nigh.

Well well an interesting public comment by former Independent Alliance TD and former Independent Alliance junior minister on Sean O'Rourke this morning when asked about the so called Western Rail Corridor Sean Canney commented along the lines of this statement below (podcast post to come)

Been given the escape hatch has he by Leo? One would only hope so!

The end is nigh.

A dying wasp can still deliver a sting!
    My bet is that although this famous report will effectively rubbish any more talk of a western rail corridor, there will.be a line in it that will give comfort to Canney. Something about needing to review it in five years to see if there's any life in the corpse. That will be enough for the uber-optimist rail fans to defer action for a few years more. Just in case, like.

• Advertisement

A dying wasp can still deliver a sting!
    My bet is that although this famous report will effectively rubbish any more talk of a western rail corridor, there will.be a line in it that will give comfort to Canney. Something about needing to review it in five years to see if there's any life in the corpse. That will be enough for the uber-optimist rail fans to defer action for a few years more. Just in case, like.

correction .
    "there will be a line in it that will give comfort to Canney his masters in Claremorris"

Of course the thing is any such report that suggests this is going to put the public spotlight even further on Canney on this issue and the majority of people supporting the greenway in Athenry/Tuam just as an election is approaching will apply even more pressure on him, which makes me think he won't want the report out this side of the election.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement